• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

tips for mystic/mage (returning player)

Uriel

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey guys,
So when I left the majority of mages were all tank mages, and I found out quickly that template wasn't viable any more. Since then I reworked and I'm running around as a mystic mage.

Basically it seems like I'm mostly using they mystic part for RC and the health stone. I was messing around with the offensive spells a bit, but it seems the EB still does more damage then the mystic offensive spells (I have 110 eval, and 100 focus, magery and mystic are both 110+).

My main tactic seems to be:
Drop RC, invis, EB till dead... rinse/repeat. Is there something more I can be doing?

I'm also in pretty basic gear. I have an LRC suit, have a scrappers compendium that I bought, and that's really about it.
I can't actually afford too much, which brings my next question....
Where is a good place to hunt?
When I left it was only Tram and Fel. I've messed around in illshenar a bit (in the blood dungeon), but Malas, ML spots, Tokuno, and Ter Mur are all pretty much unknown.
I'm finding it kind of hard to be able to make enough money consistently to actually be able to buy anything. I was liking the balron spawn in blood, until I popped a paragon which made short work of me (over and over, without me even denting him).

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
To hunt, I suggest Ice Dungeon and Tomb of the Kings.
The single White Wyrm at Ice Wyrm is an easy target if you have a dragon slayer book and they have good gold.
There are also the ice fiends down at level 2, which are also easy to kill and have good gold.

But if you have an undead slayer book, hit the Tomb of the Kings in Ter Mur (say Dungeon Abyss near a corrupted portal to get there). The undead gargoyles there drop lots of gold and are quite easy targets, as they're melee based.

Also, consider getting at least 115 focus and 115 eval int scrolls.

Regarding myst offensive spells, bombard is good if your target is weak to physical. Hail storm used to be an awesome AoE spell, hitting everyone in the target area with the same damage, but was nerfed badly.
Nether cyclone replaces it, but the chaos damage can roll against you many times, and it requires 120.5 skill to cast 100% of the time, so even at 120 you will eventually fizzle it.

Uriel

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Bea,
Thanks!

I actually was fighting the WW in ice, but for barbed. You're right that place was pretty good. I hadn't done much in the abyss, as I kinda thought most of those things were basically for imbuing stuff. I'll check it out though.

I've been trying to get scrolls, but haven't gotten anything I can use yet. Basically I'm starting a champ spawn, and then taking it as far as I can (maybe about half way or so solo) and trying to get scrolls that way. I have been using NC in the spawns for the lower level stuff. Getting valor back is pretty easy so I'm able to start a spawn whenever I want. Whenever I get to the point where I stall I don't seem to be getting scrolls anymore. I did a Rikktor the other night with a guildie and only got 2 of the pink scrolls (neither of which I could use, and that was from start to finish) in about the 2 hours that we were there. We weren't able to finish him off, but I wasn't getting them from the spawn either.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Which shard are you playing?
Try asking for those in general chat and you might just be given then.

Also, you should start using cleansing winds whenever you get cursed or poisoned. You will love it.

Last edited:

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Also, consider getting at least 115 focus and 115 eval int scrolls.
I am not criticizing your response but asking for verification on the focus aspect of it as I am fairly new to using myst and focus. It is my understanding that focus works in 20's, meaning that one would want 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120 in focus. I am thinking that 100.1-119.9 is the does the same as 100 focus. Am I wrong or am I misunderstanding it. Maybe damage goes by the 20's but not regen? Thanks!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
No. Focus works like eval for Mysticism, so with 115 focus his myst spells damage will be higher than it is with 100 focus.
I seem to regen mana and stam a bit faster with 115 focus than with 100 focus as well.

Uriel

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Which shard are you playing?
Try asking for those in general chat and you might just be given then.

Also, you should start using cleansing winds whenever you get cursed or poisoned. You will love it.
I know this might sound strange but I'd rather get them myself (either by making the money myself or whatever). I do use it quite a bit, but the cast time seems longer then if i'd cure/GH.

Now I'm trying to also figure out the right situations for protection. I really hate the drawbacks that come along with it, it feels like it gimps casting pretty bad.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Not for PvM.
I run protection 24/7 on my mages. In PvM getting the spell out is far more important than casting them quick. The -15 (-10) physical is pretty easy to compensate for. And if you aren't running resist, you won't see any disadvantage from the -35 resist either.

And since protection caps FC at 0, you can just drop it from your PvM jewels to open space for other mods.