• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tips for GW2 from Guild Wars Inisder

B

Bella

There's a post up at Guild Wars Inisder offering tips for beginners. With the game being release this year - hopefully sooner rather than later - these tips will come in handy. If you are lucky enough to get in on beta via one of the pre-purchase options, than these tips will really come in handy and very soon at that!

You can find the original article here and for those that prefer to stay on-page, please read below.

Beginner Tips For Guild Wars 2 From GWI
By: Feral | Mar 28, 2012 | Featured,GW2 News

Guild Wars 2 is doing many things differently compared to other MMOs, however, breaking the mold often comes at the cost of unfamiliarity. Is this a bad thing? Absolutely not, but it can lead to confusion. We here at GWI have compiled a list of tips for your first trip into Tyria, 250 years into the future!

1. Feral: Cities do not have traditional tour guides. Rather, there is something called a “runner” which will take to the location you want. If you do not wish to follow the npc around the Black Citadel all day, the map has everything you need on on it in every major city. If you want to be a leatherworker, or repair that battle fatigued armor, the icons are on the map.

2. Feral: Make sure you use the weapon you want and unlock your skills. With just a pistol, I unlocked the first 3 skills after about 10 NPC kills. It does not take long to level them up but it can seem tedious. Once the skill is unlocked, it stays that way.

3. Feral: You do not have to level up to participate in PvP. Once you get out of the starting area you can immediately enter the PvP lobby (The Mists), get bumped up to 80, and recieve standardized max-level gear, thus preventing the dreaded gear gap that exists in most MMOs.

4. Feral: You can move and jump while using abilities. In addition, you can attack without having a target selected. (Yes, I was shooting my pistol off a lot spamming the 1 button and it was firing every time). Your character automatically aims in the general direction of the enemy. So long as the enemy is in front of you, you can fire at them, or even attack an enemy you do not have selected so long as they are in front of you due to auto targeting.

5. Feral: Rebind you keys as soon as you enter the game. By default, B is dodge and E is your healing skill. I dont remember what Q was, but it definitely didn’t turn me. Also note, that in its current default state, there are no turn keys.

5.1 Damelith: Take the time to setup your controls after a point. As awesome as it is only having 10 skills, 6 is far reaching from the traditional wsad setup and 7-0 are just near impossible to hit in timely manners and that second could be the difference of saving your life or being on the ground waiting to be stomped on.

6. Feral: You dodge in the direction that you are moving. If you are not moving, the default is backwards.

7. HAPPYcat: Remember space bar is to JUMP! It will not take to your target or previous location. If you sit there trying to do that, you will look stupid.

8. Mouseburgler: Do not rely on a melee character to engage in combat. Because you can move while you attack, go ahead and engage. Remember, there are no tanks in this game.

9. Mouseburgler: Keep moving and keep your eyes open. In Kyhlo, the Trebuchet will tear you a new one.

10. HAPPYcat: Red circle indicate enemy aoes and white circles indicate friendly aoes. Sometimes it’s hard to see the circles, so you need to constantly look for it.

11. Feral: Every class has a dedicated healing skill. Some of them heal others, but most of the time they only heal yourself. Remember, it is your responsibility to heal yourself. No excuses.

12. Seven: Having played a healer class for many years, it can be a bit overwhelming trying to learn the nuances of a new profession while jumping right into combat with a melee heavy skillset. With the Mesmer, I found it way easier to grasp Illusion and Shatter mechanics by going with a Scepter/Pistol build, allowing me to step back to see the flow of battle. Keep it simple, keep it ranged… and learn.

13. Seven: Never walk into a Charr warband without any pants on.

14. Mintchip: Situation Awareness is a must. Take a look around before and while you are engaged in combat.

15. Mintchip: Positioning is key and should not be taken lightly. Tunneling can/will get you killed.

16. Aliette: Dodge rolling in the game is an excellent way to evade enemy hits, but never count out that you can also simply stay on the move and avoid a lot of damage as well. Strafing and circling enemies will net you a lot less downtime spent on healing, and a lot more time enjoying the satisfaction of a good kill.
Didn’t see what you were looking for? Head over to our forums and ask the team what you want to know.