• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Tip 3) QoS Packet. Increase your speed.

U

UOKaiser

Ok this one is well known.
Basicaly Windows XP proffesional by default reserves 20% of your bandwith. SO basicaly you are losing 20% of the possible connection you have.

Now to fix this.Have administrator access then Start-run- in the box wher e it says open type in gpedit.msc
This will bring up another window with drop down folders
click administrative templates then Network then QoS Packet Scheduler
On the right side of the screen you will see a icon called limit reservable bandwith double click that
Now another screen pops up click enabled and set the Bandwith limit % to 0
Then just apply or ok out of it.
Reboot and youre good to go.

Remmember never doing anything about it helps in VOIP,streaming video to the windows media player and windows updates. But really it's not worth having it on when you can increase your other capabilities.

In Vista type gpedit.msc in search box
then head under local computer policy
Expand administrative templates
click network
click QoS Packet Sceduler
click enabled
Then set bandwith limit to 0
apply and reboot
As you can see similar process

Hope you find it useful for the non techs out there. Though I still have a feeling everyone here is more of a computer wizard than they let on :)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm using Vista. When I open my computer and search for "gpedit," I don't get any hits. What am I doing wrong?

U

UOKaiser

Let me rephraze Vista ways as it is actually different depending on the version. SO am gonna change the way for it

If using Vista Business,enterprise or Ultimate
use My previous method

If using Home basic or premium follow these steps also works for the others

1)In start search type regedit and enter continue on that UAC prompt if you get it.

2) In the registry go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
just keep going through the folders till you open that one

3)On the left side right click windows click on new and key

4)Type Psched and press enter

5) on the right side click on a empty area then click new and pick dword (32-bit) value

6) Tyoe NonBestEffortLimit then press enter

7) right click on NonBestEffortLimit and pick modify

8) in value data type 0 and under base pick decimal

9) Press ok and close the screen reboot and youre set

yep it's a extra pain but brings you closer to understanding the heart of windows.

Also In vista make sure QoS is checked in your network adapter

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Vista Home Premium.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm not seeing "HKEY" anything. I see a few HCRegkeys...

Excuse my ignorance.

U

UOKaiser

I'm not seeing "HKEY" anything. I see a few HCRegkeys...

Excuse my ignorance.
Expand where you see computer
Should see Hkey_Classes_Root
Hkey_Current_User
Hkey_LOCAL_MACHINE
Hkey_USERS
Hkey_CURRENT_CONFIG

Can you see that? If not I'll open up vm and load vista premium to look at premium registry.

B

Beer_Cayse

Ummmm, not in my policy editor! <shrug>

Only networking is for Media Player. Does that mean I don't have the capping as you suggest? OS is XP/SP2.

I looked as myself (an administrator) and then safe-mode as the administrator account as well.

U

UOKaiser

Ummmm, not in my policy editor! <shrug>

Only networking is for Media Player. Does that mean I don't have the capping as you suggest? OS is XP/SP2.

I looked as myself (an administrator) and then safe-mode as the administrator account as well.
No need to go in safe mode. Just stay log in as a administrator account. Is your comp xp home or proffessional? Xp proffessional has it just like I mention. Home doesn't have policy editor
But in XP Home you will need to go through the registry like what I mention for vista basic and premium.

Just saw that you checked your policy editor. Safe mode probably disabled your networking unless you go into safe mode with networking. Make sure your not in safe mode and check then.

U

UOKaiser

Just to remind everyone with this tweak people are known to see a 35% increase in performance even though it just suppose to be 20%. Don't know why but I can only speculate. There are few that see no difference. It's up to you to judge.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kaiser has given some great tips so far, but please, be careful. The registry editor can really muck up a PC if you do not know exactly what you are doing. Kaiser, I have a small suggestion, these tips you post, could you please include screenshots of each step? I see above that you wanted Cayse in the registry editor and he was still in the local policy editor.

U

UOKaiser

Kaiser has given some great tips so far, but please, be careful. The registry editor can really muck up a PC if you do not know exactly what you are doing. Kaiser, I have a small suggestion, these tips you post, could you please include screenshots of each step? I see above that you wanted Cayse in the registry editor and he was still in the local policy editor.
Actually Cayse case is most likely because he was in safe mode. He should see the rest in local policy editor "gpedit.msc" Once he leaves safe mode.

I'll be more cautious when I add some registry tweaks and yep they are coming :) But so far these registry additions will only affect the desire process even if for some reason anybody inputs it wrong there wont be any effect that will destroy there system as these are new keys that wont work unless placed right.
But it is true if you enter the registry and go buck wild you will pretty much need a reinstall if you haven't backed it up but i'll be sure to let everyone know if we get that intense.
I am slowly easing everyone to these types of modifications.
The registry entry will only be needed if you have vista premium,basic or xp home.
Windows 2000 if you still have it you can go through the group editor as well.
I'll try to drop some screenshots to help.

B

Beer_Cayse

Right ... Admin account I had without Networking, but as my account I did not. OS is WinXP Pro

Full tree as I see it in gpedit - logged in as myself (an administrator):
{edited in image - forgot I had a photobucket account!}

That's all.

U

UOKaiser

Right ... Admin account I had without Networking, but as my account I did not. OS is WinXP Pro

Full tree as I see it in gpedit - logged in as myself (an administrator):
{edited in image - forgot I had a photobucket account!}

That's all.
Lets see if this works. It's blury like hell
Either way you are missing see options there
It should look like this

B

Beer_Cayse

I'll PM ya an email you can send fullsize shot if you have it. I loaded all the bells & whistles in 2k3 when I built the OS. If you have options I don't I wonder what I'm missing?

Wierd .... just plain wierd.

U

UOKaiser

Ok found how to fix you.
Simple really.
1st way
On the run window type in regsvr32 gptext.dll
This will register the dll that you are missing

Here are some added commands for missing groups
Administrative Templates and Scripts: gptext.dll
Folder Redirection: fde.dll
Internet Explorer Maintenance: ieaksie.dll
IP Security: ipsecsnp.dll
Public Key and Software Restriction: certmgr.dll
Remote Installation Services: rigpsnap.dll
Security: wsecedit.dll
Software Installation: appmgr.dll

2nd way

1)On the administrative templates right click it
2)Click add/remove templates
make sure you have conf,inetres,system,wmplayer,wuau
each one is a extra option
if not click add and it should take you to inf folder and add each one you missing.

Try the second way first before doing the first method.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is from Microsoft Support article 316666:

Clarification about the use of QoS in end computers that are running Windows XP

As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.

For more information about the QoS Packet Scheduler, see Windows XP Help. Additional information about Windows 2000 QoS is available in the Windows 2000 technical library.

Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support

There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.
So it appears that the bandwidth reservation is on-demand, and would only impact other programs when a "priority" program is transmitting data. Still would be interesting to test it, since not everything always works exactly as described in the world of Microsoft. :p

-Skylark

U

UOKaiser

This is from Microsoft Support article 316666:

So it appears that the bandwidth reservation is on-demand, and would only impact other programs when a "priority" program is transmitting data. Still would be interesting to test it, since not everything always works exactly as described in the world of Microsoft. :p

-Skylark
Yep I read that a long time ago when they first published it. Regardles of microsoft claims it has increased my speed and many ,many others.

I'll will point out that little tid bit " One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth.This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link " Now guess which reserved programs that request this priority bandwith use it? Windows updates is believed to be one,windows media player another one. any of there spy programs. Malaware,virus other QoS enabled programs. Those windows services that constantly run in your background that exchange data through lan or wan connections etc.. I wish I had a list but as you can see these programs and services can start at any time. Because the savy of us will use something like mozilla-firefox instead of internet explorer,vlc instead of media player,and many non microsoft related programs that work much better this can all get messy.

Assuming you pvp in uo or downloading using bit torrent or something else boom uo connection slow down,p2p slow down, browsing with fire fox slows down because 20% of that bandwith is being used by windows QoS programs. Microsoft can go to hell we Techs know by experience what works best in our systems.

Definetly good that you posted this just shows how microsoft likes to dance with words and don't like anybody messing with there buggy OS :)

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Erm...may I suggest just removing QOS from your network properties?

Saves you the hassles of messing around with the group policy/registry.

Instead of letting it load and take up resources, then nerfing it to do nothing. Might as well free up the resources. The way QOS is implemented is a bit dumb imho. Unfortunately, MS thinks that everyone should use it and adds it by default.

I remove it on every system I use.

B

Beer_Cayse

okies ... when I get home tonight I'll give this a shot. I'm familiar with regsvr32, just don't use it daily. <shrug>

U

UOKaiser

Erm...may I suggest just removing QOS from your network properties?

Saves you the hassles of messing around with the group policy/registry.

Instead of letting it load and take up resources, then nerfing it to do nothing. Might as well free up the resources. The way QOS is implemented is a bit dumb imho. Unfortunately, MS thinks that everyone should use it and adds it by default.

I remove it on every system I use.
It should work like that though I believe I read that this way doesn't work though technicaly it should unless Qos is integrated in another windows service. Will need to do a little research on this but some other day i'll browse around it.
I believe it will be good for fellow uo players get familiar with registry and group policy it will definetly expand ther technical knowledge and feel more confortable with there computer equipment. Stop paying 100's of dollars to techs like me to fix it heh (well except if they actually want to pay me directly) :)

U

UOKaiser

okies ... when I get home tonight I'll give this a shot. I'm familiar with regsvr32, just don't use it daily. <shrug>
Remmeber try the second method I listed adding the files before trying to register the dll's

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It should work like that though I believe I read that this way doesn't work though technicaly it should unless Qos is integrated in another windows service. Will need to do a little research on this but some other day i'll browse around it.
I believe it will be good for fellow uo players get familiar with registry and group policy it will definetly expand ther technical knowledge and feel more confortable with there computer equipment. Stop paying 100's of dollars to techs like me to fix it heh (well except if they actually want to pay me directly) :)
Yup, I totally agree with you on training folks and empowering them to resolve technical issues.

The thing with QOS is as you mentioned earlier, it only works with QOS aware apps. Which are mainly apps specifically developed to be QOS aware (eg time-critical applications). AFAIK, none of the default windows apps including media player streaming, netmeeting, IE etc are QOS aware, or have a hardcoded QOS service/dependency.

For time critical apps like real time trading, IP phones and video streaming, I can understand the benefits of QOS in a corporate network. Developers and administrators can control whether time-critical apps should tell the O/S to allocate more bandwidth to it.

But the normal home pc/user do not need to run these apps. If you do, the developer will certainly let you know about it.

A crude explanation - Installing QOS makes it inspect all your network traffic to see if each packet has a priority assigned to it. High priority packets get assigned to a VIP queue. Normal priority packets get assigned to the poor man's queue outside the restaurant. The VIP queue is checked more often, and gets priority when there's a table. There's also this policy that says VIPs can tell the restaurant to reserve up to 20% of all tables available for their VIPs friends and family.

Microsoft says there's nothing to worry about, when they are no VIPs, the poor man will be served just as quickly. The 20% reservation doesn't come into play. All poor men will be served equally. Technically they are right.

But there are a couple of other glaring problems - you don't have any VIPs that will come to your restaurant.

Yet, there's a VIP queue taking up floor space. Which the maître d' keeps coming over to check. And he does that before checking the poor man's queue.

What I am suggesting is, since we know we do not have VIPs (well, at least not our kind of VIPs from UO, WoW, ventrillo etc), why should we make the maître d' waste time checking both queues? We shall do away with the VIP queue entirely.

Crude explanation only :D (actual QOS has many different priority queues)

Thor VII

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me rephraze Vista ways as it is actually different depending on the version. SO am gonna change the way for it

If using Vista Business,enterprise or Ultimate
use My previous method

If using Home basic or premium follow these steps also works for the others

1)In start search type regedit and enter continue on that UAC prompt if you get it.

2) In the registry go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
just keep going through the folders till you open that one

3)On the left side right click windows click on new and key

4)Type Psched and press enter

5) on the right side click on a empty area then click new and pick dword (32-bit) value

6) Tyoe NonBestEffortLimit then press enter

7) right click on NonBestEffortLimit and pick modify

8) in value data type 0 and under base pick decimal

9) Press ok and close the screen reboot and youre set

yep it's a extra pain but brings you closer to understanding the heart of windows.

Also In vista make sure QoS is checked in your network adapter
heello there.

when i typed 0 and picked decimal it seems the option always go to hexadecimal. Never stays in decimal.

apologize my english. Hope you understand

B

Beer_Cayse

late reporting ... sorry. did the second method as you suggested and that allowed me to set QoS as you stated. Thanks - and it might be my feeble eyes, but I could swear the patch for the SA Enhanced client was blazing along!

U

UOKaiser

heello there.

when i typed 0 and picked decimal it seems the option always go to hexadecimal. Never stays in decimal.

Yea I think it's fine like that. It does the same with my registry so decimal might be mistaken. Leaving it in hex will work fine.

U

UOKaiser

late reporting ... sorry. did the second method as you suggested and that allowed me to set QoS as you stated. Thanks - and it might be my feeble eyes, but I could swear the patch for the SA Enhanced client was blazing along!
Great to hear. Post if you see other improvements it will be good to get some accurate 1st hand figures on it's effects on peoples systems.

G

gjohnson5

heello there.

0 decimal = 0 hexidecimal
Either way the value is 0

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
thank you for this tip I dont feel so laggy on my character when im walking now. :thumbsup:

G

gjohnson5

Ok this one is well known.
Basicaly Windows XP proffesional by default reserves 20% of your bandwith. SO basicaly you are losing 20% of the possible connection you have.

Now to fix this.Have administrator access then Start-run- in the box wher e it says open type in gpedit.msc

On a side note , group policies are mainly used in an Active Directory enviornment. Local computers wouldn't use the local policy editor on the PC , not the group policy