• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Timeline Inquiry

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Folks,

Though I never played the Ultima series PC games, I have read a lot about them on fan sites doing research. I am seeking comments pertaining to where Ultima Online rests upon the Timeline of the Ultima/UO multiverse.

Is the following Timeline reasonable, or missing the mark?

Sosaria is Created/Formed

Armageddon spell is learned and cast -- all life is destroyed.

Eight Kingdoms emerge upon four continents

Mondain kills his father, steals Sun Ruby, seeks conquest

Ultima I - VIII

Ultima Online begins

Ultima VIIII ends Ultima series

I sincerely hope folks will contribute to verifying an accurate Timeline as well as comments pertaining to Ultima Lore, UO Lore, and their crossover, where any exists.

Where will Stygian Abyss fall upon the Timeline, and does UO going forward embrace any of the Ultima fiction, lore, and history???

Thanks to all who contribute, especially any who gave us Ultima, UO past, UO present, and UO future.

Elladan of Baja

D

Devil_Woman

Looks like you've placed UO between Pagan and Ascension, and I don't think that's correct. My first Ultima was Serpent Isle so I haven't played 1-7, but I think UO falls somewhere before Quest of the Avatar which I think was 4.

Hopefully someone who knows them all better than I do will see this and respond soon.

S

Seasseragh

A Timeline

But the question is, did the single player Ultimas actually happen on our shards?
While the story of UO begins quite a long time after that, it´s actual creation would be the Shattering of the Gem of Immortality, i.e. Mondains´ Defeat.
From that point on each shard would have a seperate history.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Remember that items given out in the game 10 years ago, for the 2nd anniversary of the game, was a bag of stuff commemorating the 300th anniversary of Mondain's defeat.

IIRC, Magincia's destruction was supposed to be related to its destruction prior/concurrent to Ultima IV, and the Shadowlord event going on these last 2 years are supposed to be the UO equivalents to Ultima V (And the Shadowlord manimulations in it). The big difference is that the Avatar, Lord British and their companions (who are effectively immortal in the Ultima games) are no longer here for us (for the most part) in the Ultima Online timelines, so we are having to fend for ourselves.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its important to know that reglardless of the awesome series.
Ultima Online takes place after Ultima.
So we in UO dont even have the Avatar yet, hes still the stranger whos only been here once to whoop mondains ass.

L

Lady Katherine

It is really hard (almost impossible) to accurately place UO in a timeline of Ultima events because the devs, for good and bad, have been able to play a little fast and loose with Ultima lore.

Back in 1997 when UO went live, it was very easy to place UO right after Ultima I. The opening movie showed the Stranger shattering the Gem of Immortality and each shard of the Gem becoming a separate world (hence why the different "worlds" are called shards). Minax and Exodus did not exist in the realm at the time and would not for several years. Later, both make an appearance. In Ultima lore, Exodus did not rise up until after Minax's defeat by the Stranger (the same one in lore who defeated Mondain).

Since there is no Avatar, or quest for Avatarhood, it would be difficult to officially place UO after Ultima IV. However, since the Virtues are defined and the shrines are in place, it could be in the time right before it. The Companions would be around (and some have been seen, such as Dupre), although they would still be early in their adventuring lives.

The Stygian Abyss was entered by the soon-to-be Avatar at the end of Ultima IV with the Bell, Book, and Candle. As events unfold in UO, we may see more parallels. I eagerly await what comes next.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would point out that the story arc we are nearing the end of is called "Warriors of Destiny", the same name Ultima 5.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To add to the general confusion, Stygian Abyss (the original Ultima Underworld version) came AFTER Ultima 6. :p

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The timeline in Ultima Online forked from the timeline of single-player Ultima at the end of Ultima I with the Shattering of the Gem of Immortality.

You can draw a parallel between events in Ultima Online and in single-player Ultimas, but many events happened in a different order, in a different way (Lord Blackthorn was corrupted by the Shadowlords in single-player games, while in UO he was allied with Exodus), or never happened at all (most notably the Quest of the Avatar).

I'll try to match some UO eras and events to the corresponding landmarks in single-player Ultima history.

UO introduction - defeat of Mondain in Ultima I
UO in 1997 (release) - some time between Ultima III and Ultima IV, after the foundation of Britannia and the construction of the Shrines of Virtue but before the Quest of the Avatar
UO in 2000 (events leading to UO:R) - attack of Minax in Ultima II
UO in 2001-2002 (Live Scenarios and LBR) - downfall of Lord Blackthorn in Ultima V, alliance with the gargoyles in Ultima VI, attack of Exodus in Ultima III
UO in 2007 (Magincia Live Event) - destruction of Magincia some time before Ultima IV
UO in 2008 (Warriors of Destiny Live Events) - attack of the Shadowlords in Ultima V
UO in 2009 (Stygian Abyss) - rising of the Stygian Abyss a long time before Ultima III, opening of the Abyss in Ultima IV, discovery of the gargoyle homeland in Ultima VI, foundation of the Abyss colony in Ultima Underworld

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

UO in 2001-2002 (Live Scenarios and LBR) - downfall of Lord Blackthorn in Ultima V,

Can we forget about the whole Borgthorn thing? That would help the time line at least a little considering how it was shoehorned in after UO2 fell through.

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Folks,

I wish to thank all the contributors, and encourage others to add their comments.

Thanks,

Elladan of Baja