• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Time to start using my tamer! (template advice)

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings, its been a while since i posted on stratics but I have kept myself fairly up to date with creatures and such.... Well ages ago I used an advanced character token and made a tamer... Several years later he is still pretty much the same!

The other night I thought... why the heck am I not playing this character?? I checked my stables and I had a few half decent pets (a rune beetlwe and a mare) and I was lucky enough to have an 850+hp Gdrag given to me by a spiffy looking atmer at the stables!

So I am going to play this guy more!

Then I got to thining about templates, I like Melee chars and have fun on my archer so I want to try a hybrid template. I have read a few descriptions on other threads and have had some good input from them... I am thinking of going with the following template.

Taming 85 (120 Boosted)
Lore 85 (120 Boosted)
Vet 100
SW 100
Archery 120
Tactics 120

this leave me with 110 points left to play with. this is where I am needing help.

I have so far only made the jewels so far (+15 tame/Lore with 15% HCI and 22 DI) when added to the library talisman this gives me my 120 tame/lore and I have vet already at 100, I have All the other skills on my chars also so I can moved them around. Before I start butchering my exisiting chars does anyone have any experience with a SW/Archer/Tamer template? I am thinking mana may be an issue but I can get it pretty high and get good regain using my suit and shame/wrong bows ect/ it will just take a little farming. also what would be a decent final skill?? I am thinking Spiritspeak so I can use JoaT necro for the ML, i wouldnt look forward to training it up hehe but if I do it as I hunting it souldn't be too bad.

I figure that the DPS this guy could kick out would be fairly crazy! a super dragon or my mare/beetle chomping away on my target and my bow shooting combined with wildfire/and word of death ect...ect...

In terms of survival for me and my pet I would be happy enough bandaging the pet, I can throw on a gift of renewal to heal myself, can keep Gift of life on me or my pet and also have attune as a damage shield as well as etherial voyage for moster ignore while I am taming!

all round it seems like a really solid template!

Has anyone toyed around with this?

Thanks

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first question is how are you going to heal yourself? Most tamer/melee templates include anatomy (for damage) and healing. You can make balanced bows and pot, but you'd be better off ditching the vet for anat/heal in my opinion. I suppose you could cast the SW spell that revitalizes you, but there is a timer on that if I recall and it still isn't enough to keep you alive if you really get targeted. My own preference would be a SW/Mage/Tamer (have one), or a Archer/Anat/Tactics/Chiv/Healing/Tamer template. JMO, and worth what you paid.;)

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first question is how are you going to heal yourself? Most tamer/melee templates include anatomy (for damage) and healing. You can make balanced bows and pot, but you'd be better off ditching the vet for anat/heal in my opinion. I suppose you could cast the SW spell that revitalizes you, but there is a timer on that if I recall and it still isn't enough to keep you alive if you really get targeted. My own preference would be a SW/Mage/Tamer (have one), or a Archer/Anat/Tactics/Chiv/Healing/Tamer template. JMO, and worth what you paid.;)
Thanks for the reply, I would use spiritspeak and also gift of renewal for healing myself... I figure best thing is to just give it a go and see how I do! Ill update as I progress!

Not sure what you mean whe you say "worth what you paid" ??

Thanks

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Definately a different temp there.

Down side for me:

No ranged heal for pets. With the critters they are putting out these days you really need that option imo.
Without Anat/Chiv, dps will take a hit.

If I were playing around with it I would drop the SS and put 100 of the additional points on Magery. That invis on a tamer can make the difference of a win or a loss, fast. Would go 110 sw for added damage/timers on spells. Or squeeze out 120 by dropping the 120 tactics to 105, dropping one of the 22 DI for +15 tactics on a jewl. Build high MR and mana inc to max allowed into the suit and see what happens. It's all about personal preference.

Worth playing around with tho, keep folks updated on how it goes.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I will keep in magery then! already have 95 on this char so will just finish training it up and hope that the Mana leech on whatever bow I end up with is enough to keep me effective! As for the SW point mentioned I will be using attune, Gift of life, Gift of renewal, Etherial voyage, WoD and probably summon imp sometimes.... i didnt realise skill level effected the timers... i thought that was down to the focus crystal... this will require invesigation hehe.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sure will. A good number of the spells are scaled based on the level of SW.

Gift of renewal - Effect: Regenerates (5 + (Skill Level Real / 240) HP

Attunement - Effect: Absorbs (15 + (3 * Skill Level Real / 120)) (+12 per Focus level) Damage

Essence of Wind - Damage: 10 + (Skill Level Real / 240, minimum 1) (+1 damage per Focus level). Increased by SDI.
Duration: 1-5 seconds (Skill Level Real / 240) (+1 second per Focus level)

Ethereal Voyage - Duration: 16-30 seconds (25 + (Skill Level Real / 240, minimum 1))(+2 per Focus level), or the caster performs a hostile action (whichever comes first)

Gift of Life - Duration: 1-5 (Skill Level Real / 240, minimum 1)(+1 per Focus level) minutes

Those are the ones I use great deal on my tamer anyway. I do on occasion use Arcane Empowerment, Wildfire and Thunderstorm. All info snagged from
UO Stratics *New* | Spellweaving
Check it out if there are any others you may have questions about.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you all for your replies and input! it is appreciated!

krilov

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The idea is funny - but almost impossible.
A char like that...needs a lot of main priorities:Healing your pet/pets, healing yourself, HCI, SDI, mana..then all the rest ofc [lmc,di, mr,hpr...etcetc ] ;)

Your setup is missing point 1 and 2 for sure.
SW+ vet is not enough for the pet ( would be barely enough for middle-mobs)
SW+ss( cuz it seems u run without chiva 0_o?!) is deffo not enogh for ya. Chiva is a must for me.
Anyway....let's suppose u manage to keep you alive tnx to pots too...or in some way...

An archer without a decent hci wont go far. What the point of shotting arrows if u dont hit? so HCI highest as possible.
A template like that...usually miss anatomy since that gap is covered by pets....so DI is something u want too.It might be secondary but u deffo will find difference.
SW without high sdi (imo) doesn't have much sence.So u want there highest sdi as possible.

In top of that...u must have lmc capped for real, since i bet u will smoke all of your mana in 5 seconds.Keep in mind, sw spells are cool but they cost a lot in terms of mana...and a tamer archer in general got low mana lvls as well as mana probs.Putting in sw too....sounds a bit too much for real dude.

I saw u trained magery...well that can be ok...i mean reaching 2/6 cap is easy but tbh for pvm...chiva is a must dude.And let's say....since the amount of magery u need to heal decently a pet wont be lower than 110 (115 at least)...and if u think of smoking the same points on chiva...would be so much better...despiro malas is simply crazy and usefull skill when u're in panic.

I got a tamer archer too...and i run necro/ss +medit too...and i gotta say...it's fking funny - let me underline this: i'm not saying it's the best....but 4sure it's fking funny: basicly that's the only templ that does ensure you almost always full mana, you can really spam everything,specials, cures, healings on ya and the pets: i reached lmc capped, Di 80, hci 30+ but most of all a nice 4/6 for when i'm not using a slayer bow otherwise...i got 3/6 that's still decent enough.
Runnig without hunter cuz i wear helm of swift. and still without conj.trnk....that would cover the hci i'm missing.
About stats, well, 112hp, 120dex, 73int - still working on them...
There are lots of other templ for pvm as archer tamer..but tbh...i trust more healing by chiva fc/fcr capped or almost so, then bandages+fc/fcr not capped. But that's personal.
I end this saying..it'ìs more a templ for pure fun than a real pro one...tbh when i need to do serious things...i run my other "traditional" main tamer.

For an easier start and since you are looking for dmg output..i would suggest you to try a necro-sw-tamer.
Easy to built and well, powerfull as hell!
What i like of such a templ. is that you're not at all dependent frm your pets and according to your gear and situations, you can really adopt diff. playing styles too.
I mean, u got necro that means you can evocate,you can wither (that means u can even try to champ), u got magery that gives u the possibility to invis, gate, ress, casting fields, poison....then u got sw with all its benefits and the powerfull wod that's ideal for beating bosses...and after all of that..u got your pets! LOL really....just think of it... your pet/pets +3x skele dragon evocated (each one can even cast a revenant --> +3 more fighter) and then...you. LOL dude it's like going around with a party and you're alone ;)
Being not dependant fully from pets...it means u can farm pets alone easy...like a gd...and wraith+lich form and some medit...ensure you almost endless mana.
Oh and an other advantage of being in wraith (4example) is that your immune to bleed :p not bad at all while u fight vs GDs or runes or even CUs...so many good sides ^.^

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awesome replies!
Krilov! can you post your template please? I am still relying on Jewels to boost taming but I will work the skills up real if I have to.

I really like the sound of your temps. if you could post it I will copy... er I mean... err review them * waves hands around*

Seriously though it sounds like a blast! would love to have a go at champs and stuff.

krilov

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, the skills are:
taming
lore
vet
magery
necro
ss
sw
medit

Since i want to max sdi (therefore wod dmg) i'm going around mainly with a full sdi-oriented set...that means no lrc (atm got just 50 lrc) so i go around with reagents....(exception made when i decide to wither badly-even if sometimes i do it without lrc)
With all the pets, the evocations and even aoe-SW spells...i got lots of options..so i'm not worried to carry reagents.

About the skill points...well, it really depends on your items and jewels too.
Taming sopped at 115 even if, when i run around for hunting, i just have 112 (+12 bonus coming from a nice ring that gives me sdi and few other bonuses)
When i decide to tame...i mount a "taming-setup" so that i reach 115 hoping to make the proces a lil bit faster.

In general, i would say 110 taming, 110 lore (cuz i mainly use GDs, and since i run in wraith form almost always that's the ideal pet)
Vet 80 (at least) - actually i've lowered it for reaching 50 points on medit...80vet still does more than decent healing with normal bandages too - u cure poison and rez the pets - (then, consider u can pump it by gift of renowal that does extra heal or/and u can use ench.bandage for more healing too)
magery 120 - the highest the better you heal with Gheal.Moreover. Even if 115 works good too - (as u see a template like this one works great even without all 120s - that's great for starting)
Necro, well, i run 100 necro (reaching 105+ thorough jewels) that's becouse i want the best evocation and i wanna use wither too.
SS 115 ( got 100 points real...+12 comes from a jewel...so i reach 112; i can reach 120 ss too ...but i still need that sop :p) - high ss doesn't just ensure u damage with necro spells but also, gg evocations and % mana recovered when u do dmg...for example with wod. - 100 ss would work enough too ( that's if u lack of skill points)

Spellweaving - the higher it is, the less u fail and longer the spells last....Since i had sklill points probs....i stopped @ 115 sw. I tried 110 sw too but wod used to fail too often; at 115 u can still fail casting it but it happends quite rarely. I mean, it's nothing really dramatic...so u can deal with it.So about sw i would say 115 is a must.
Now, tnx to jewels and few skill bonus on armor, i can reach 50 medit too.
I would say, if u have any point left, well the are surely well spent on medit :p

If i'm badly in need of mana (and tbh never happends or almost so) i can still count on a nice lich form = +12 mr (that's like 120 medit :p)

One of the most annoying downside is...no chiva...so i can't cure the curses nor counting on despiro malas (well i got dispell from magery for dispelling) but eheheh there must be a downside right? XD

Now, since necro gives u neg.karma...i would say....go find a good cu right before starting training necro-ss.....so u wont be attacked in that spawn - well, that's the tricky way imo-

Hope it helped - lots of people runs variations of this temp.....like, just enough necro for wraith since they do not care about higher lvl spells....and so they invest that points somewherelse.
Same for ss.
It's up to ya ;)
I wanted to evocate mainly therefore 100 necro/ss was a must for me ^^

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Nice temp. I played around a necro tamer once and enjoyed it but never put the SW on it. One of the advantages these days is with imbuing you can easily reach a 820+ skill char and still have one heckuva suit with plenty of sdi, lrc, lmc and mr

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jeepers Krilov!

Archery Smarchery... My archer is staying put and will be a disco archer!

Thanks to this post II am yet AGAIN changing how this guy is going to be!

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Krilov does a very good job writing up the template. I will occasionally put a mage weap bow on that has high lower def for pvm. Its a great way to make sure the pets are getting their licks in and holding aggro.

krilov

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ye i use that bow-trick too time to time...4example (since i got no chiva and i run by foot) when i need to run 4 long,i equip a bow with a cool stamina reg. property. Still something alternative than creating food and eating time to time...ofc, again, armor/jewels with stami reg. would be better ^.^