• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thunderstorm Spell?

Aroz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So it seems that they have changed this spell but there has been many changes in this game I do not even think the devs intended to do. Well anyways, this spell casts as fast as a fireball but does instant damage. Not too bad. The problem is this spell covers most of the screen, goes through any walls, and goes on top of any building or the bottom floor of any building. Then there's this guild that's exploiting this spell and running every guy with that spell and just spamming thunderstorm and you cannot even wall it off. They were hitting me with thunderstorm outside of the SL base when I was in side and again when they were in the base and I ran outside and they just spammed it. Kinda overpowered.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I like the spell for the quick cast, area it hits and damage it does to the whole screen. But, I agree with ya that it should not be hitting the pvp folks through the walls like that.

Aroz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I like the spell for the quick cast, area it hits and damage it does to the whole screen. But, I agree with ya that it should not be hitting the pvp folks through the walls like that.
Yeah, I'm fine with the quickness and the full screen. It's just you cannot counter it with anything. Turning a corner or casting a wall should be enough skill to counter the spell. Should be line of sight like every single spell in the game. Earthquake won't go through walls either.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you don't even need spellweaving to cast it anyway, you can be human and 0 skill circle to get level 6, if it was any good, everyone would use it, you don't even need reagents, all templates can cast it at any time.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Wanted to clarify something... Having never used the spell in pvp... is the 7 damage what it does at 120 sw? or is that at the 0 skill JOaT level?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
for giggles i went and tested this.
with 120 SW and like 60SDI and no crystal i was doing 5HP damage at a max of like 5/6 tiles away.

i went and got a level 6 crystal with the same guy (120SW/60SDI) and was doing 6HP damage at a max of 8/9 tiles away.

guy being attacked had 0 resists spells.

if anything that spell is highly under powered, no?
you would need a pack of guys spamming that to do any real damage, and it eats a lot of mana per cast too.
death by a thousand scratches i guess.

and yes it did go through the wall of my house, but only about 8 tiles in, i just stepped back a couple steps and i was fine.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
for giggles i went and tested this.
with 120 SW and like 60SDI and no crystal i was doing 5HP damage at a max of like 5/6 tiles away.

i went and got a level 6 crystal with the same guy (120SW/60SDI) and was doing 6HP damage at a max of 8/9 tiles away.

guy being attacked had 0 resists spells.

if anything that spell is highly under powered, no?
you would need a pack of guys spamming that to do any real damage, and it eats a lot of mana per cast too.
death by a thousand scratches i guess.

and yes it did go through the wall of my house, but only about 8 tiles in, i just stepped back a couple steps and i was fine.
My guess is that if you are hitting someone AFK scripting in their house... they aren't going to move 2 tiles back... and they are just scripting AFK so chances are you'll have plenty of time to keep scratching at them.

Aroz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My complaint, once again, is not the damage output. My complaint is it can literally disrupt any spell and be casted super fast and go through any wall. It becomes overpowered when it disrupts spells as fast as it does when you're not even in line of sight.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
a spell that only does 6hp and costs the caster 32mana.
i wouldnt call that a deal breaker.
whats he gonna get..... 4 of them off on ya?
so now your only down 24hp and he's out of mana?

i do hear what your putting down but i think you may be whipping the crowd into a frenzy for nothing.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
In the guys defense he does say....

Then there's this guild that's exploiting this spell and running every guy with that spell and just spamming thunderstorm and you cannot even wall it off.
If ya have three or four folks spamming it at different intervals then you ain't gonna be able to get a spell off... plus all those little 7's add up quick I guess.

*edit*

then add in 40 lmc and it only costs 19 mana.

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a spell that only does 6hp and costs the caster 32mana.
i wouldnt call that a deal breaker.
whats he gonna get..... 4 of them off on ya?
so now your only down 24hp and he's out of mana?

i do hear what your putting down but i think you may be whipping the crowd into a frenzy for nothing.
You keep focusing on the damage when that's not his point.

He's saying if hes trying to get away and walls himself him(I assume he means on foot) he's never able to mount up because the spell goes through walls. So it's just a matter of time till someone gets through the walls while hes stuck on foot.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the guys defense he does say....

If ya have three or four folks spamming it at different intervals then you ain't gonna be able to get a spell off... plus all those little 7's add up quick I guess.

*edit*

then add in 40 lmc and it only costs 19 mana.
If you have 3 or 4 guys spamming absolutley any spell on you at different intervals, you're not going to do well....

So 19 mana, that means you can cast it say 10 times before you run out of mana, 10 x 7 = 70 damage, i think there are better ways to do 70 damage.
Also if you have resisting spells, you're able to resist the casting debuf.

What are you talking about? Please lets nerf e-bolt, 32 damage all 100% energy???

And so what if the spell goes through walls of stone? If you're trying to mount an ethy, that is what VvV horses are for.

Speaking the Truth

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have 3 or 4 guys spamming absolutley any spell on you at different intervals, you're not going to do well....

So 19 mana, that means you can cast it say 10 times before you run out of mana, 10 x 7 = 70 damage, i think there are better ways to do 70 damage.
Also if you have resisting spells, you're able to resist the casting debuf.

What are you talking about? Please lets nerf e-bolt, 32 damage all 100% energy???

And so what if the spell goes through walls of stone? If you're trying to mount an ethy, that is what VvV horses are for.
So using this example, what about a riding swiped horse that has been killed? say he has a VvV horse and it was swiped and killed he gets into a 1 tile area walls and still can't mount up his ethy? You think with no line of sight this spell should go through all walls and up and down multiple floors?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For every situation, there is more than one option.
If you get riding swiped there are ways to get mounted, if your horse is dead, you res it and heal it up. If you can't do that, you use your spare one that you have in your backpack that you've insured for 10gp
You shouldn't get in that situation in the first place.
Upload and Share Videos - Sendvid

observe, how you try to avoid being riding swiped in the first place by dismounting yourself, then if you're a noob like me and still get riding swiped, you remedy the situation.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
hahahahahhahaha you have been targeted for Mervynation!

that made ice tea come out my nose, haha!

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For every situation, there is more than one option.
If you get riding swiped there are ways to get mounted, if your horse is dead, you res it and heal it up. If you can't do that, you use your spare one that you have in your backpack that you've insured for 10gp
You shouldn't get in that situation in the first place.
Upload and Share Videos - Sendvid

observe, how you try to avoid being riding swiped in the first place by dismounting yourself, then if you're a noob like me and still get riding swiped, you remedy the situation.
So you think that a spell should hit people without line of sight? Especially one that has a very fast cast and can hit almost an entire screen with a level 6 crystal?

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can cast through houses too it's clearly unintentional. Any other AoE in the game can't do this. Blazing's video has a clear example. I'll post it when I'm at my PC

Last edited:

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone suggested that I remove the video. If you'd like to see how thunderstorm is being abused, please ICQ me and I can show you.

Last edited:

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix this video shows the behavior that we believe to be unintentional.
I already tried showing them this and the instant deleted my post 3x because of "illegal programs" blah blah crap, the point isnt in what the chr is running the point is that he is casting thru walls but they would rather act like other ways to play uo dont exist instead of focusing on the issue at hand

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I cleaned up the thread a little bit. Please stay on topic here of discussing the bug, rather than taking pot shots at each other over the actions of the individual posters. If this is a legitimate bug, it is fair grounds to discuss. I suggest someone also report it to [email protected] if you haven't already.

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Inside a house
Thunderstorm does not need a fix, it is fine how it is. Where does thunder come from? Where was the player from your video that you posted?

/thread
Inside a house. In real life, this is where most people shelter from a thunderstorm

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It does need fixed, no spell should be able to hit a player within a house with no LOS. Simple.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
*chuckles*

This whole thread is so ironic.
Every time a non-cheater is up against a cheater the non-cheater is subjected to things that are "unintentional".
Fix that first and then worry about the Thunderstorm spell.

Hilarious reading...

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
*chuckles*

Every time a non-cheater is up against a cheater the non-cheater is subjected to things that are "unintentional".

Hilarious reading...
Thanks for not contributing to the thread.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*chuckles*

Hilarious reading...
I believe this is considered a troll post.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your post had no content to the thread other than you are now branded as someone that calls everyone a cheater that you die to. But, posting non content, especially in the manner you did is a troll. Feel free to read the forum rules prior to asking me why next time.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Your post had no content to the thread other than you are now branded as someone that calls everyone a cheater that you die to. But, posting non content, especially in the manner you did is a troll. Feel free to read the forum rules prior to asking me why next time.
I offered my opinion on the topic at hand. Try again.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I offered my opinion on the topic at hand. Try again.
Um the topic on hand is the thunderstorm spell and it hitting through walls/killing people in houses without line of sight.

I see no mention of the spell in any of your posts.

Obvious troll is obvious, try again.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The last 8 posts have contributed nothing to the discussion - please stop taking personal swipes over semantics. This is also second time that I've needed to intervene and ask the thread be kept on topic. I'd much prefer not to have to issue warnings for trolling or baiting.

Last edited:

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The last 8 posts have contributed nothing to the discussion - please stop taking personal swipes over semantics. This is also second time that I've needed to intervene and ask the thread be kept on topic. I'd much prefer not to have to issue warnings for trolling or baiting.
Thank you. Some people can't help being ignorant.

Back to topic... does anyone think that thunderstorm SHOULD hit without LOS and why? This includes devs opinions of why it does and no other area effect spell does this.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Back to topic... does anyone think that thunderstorm SHOULD hit without LOS and why? This includes devs opinions of why it does and no other area effect spell does this.
Nice personal attack, Paithan. I thought Merlin's post was supposed to keep those out of the thread. Oh well.

As for the Thunderstorm spell. And that´s the second time I mention it now, Martell...
It´s fine as it is. Since it´s casted directly from the character and no cursor is involved there´s no LOS issue involved.
And what happens once it´s casted is just a magic effect from a magic spell. Think of it as an EMP. Nothing wrong with a unique spell.

The spell has been around for 10+ years so I assume it has suddenly become an issue because someone died to it recently.
Felucca is supposed to be a dangerous place. If you fear the spell so much then don´t go AFK visible. And if you fear that someone will still find you while being hidden in your house then log out while you´re being AFK.

But to sum it up: Nothing is broken. Keep it as is as there´s nothing wrong with a unique spell. Log out if you fear being killed while being AFK.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I,

however it probably should not be able to hit people in their houses.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice personal attack, Paithan. I thought Merlin's post was supposed to keep those out of the thread. Oh well.

As for the Thunderstorm spell. And that´s the second time I mention it now, Martell...
It´s fine as it is. Since it´s casted directly from the character and no cursor is involved there´s no LOS issue involved.
And what happens once it´s casted is just a magic effect from a magic spell. Think of it as an EMP. Nothing wrong with a unique spell.

The spell has been around for 10+ years so I assume it has suddenly become an issue because someone died to it recently.
Felucca is supposed to be a dangerous place. If you fear the spell so much then don´t go AFK visible. And if you fear that someone will still find you while being hidden in your house then log out while you´re being AFK.

But to sum it up: Nothing is broken. Keep it as is as there´s nothing wrong with a unique spell. Log out if you fear being killed while being AFK.
Do you even pvp??

The spell itself has been around for 10+ years, but it's only recently that it has been able to hit through walls. That didn't used to be the case, so yes, folks have recently died to it, while in their houses, where they were previously safe...which is why it's now an issue.

It's not even if you're afk. what if my imbuer is sitting in my Yew gate house just trying to make some armor or fill bods, they shouldn't be attackable.

You were trying to troll, you got called on it, and you now you're tying to act like you have legit points when it's just simplistic and ignorant BS.

Stay out of threads that don't have anything to do with your gameplay.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Do you even pvp??

The spell itself has been around for 10+ years, but it's only recently that it has been able to hit through walls. That didn't used to be the case, so yes, folks have recently died to it, while in their houses, where they were previously safe...which is why it's now an issue.

It's not even if you're afk. what if my imbuer is sitting in my Yew gate house just trying to make some armor or fill bods, they shouldn't be attackable.

You were trying to troll, you got called on it, and you now you're tying to act like you have legit points when it's just simplistic and ignorant BS.

Stay out of threads that don't have anything to do with your gameplay.
I´m not trying to do anything.
Paithan asked a question and I gave him my opinion on it.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It absolutely shouldn't hit someone in their house. It shouldn't hit without LOS either.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

By definition when I make a blanket statement- that would not be a personal attack on anyone.

Anyways, according to your line of thinking- then EQ should also hit people in houses because there is no cursor. Is this correct? Because, as I am sure you are unaware, EQ did in fact USED to hit people in houses many years ago. But they fixed that. So, your line of thought is still not making sense.

You simply should not be able to hit someone with a spell when you don't have line of sight. Whenever it has happened, it was a bug and fixed.

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be far, EQ could never kill someone in a house. Takes you to 1 HP, but never kill, unless you had multiple people doing it. No idea why it was changed. Not like it was that effective. Then again, this was back when EQ hit friend or foe, same with fields.... Etc. So I don't think that's relevant.

Being a SW, I like the huge no sight range of it ---in the field or chokes---. If they could keep that aspect but remove the house attacking aspect, that'd be cool.

Really though, who has died to t-storms in a house? I mean unless 3 or 4+ people put in a VERY concentrated effort to kill someone (outside of a naked res kill or something similar) what does it matter? I mean if you are doing something illegal and AFK, yeah you should have a way to die tbh.

Everyone will find a way to kill you... Look at the past. Sending in summons/pets, wildfires, EQs, fields, explode pots, meteor swarm/chain lightning/, wither, hailstorm, nether cyclone... Etc. If you played long enough, you've seen it all lol. Something else will just replace this, and this one is fairly weak TBH.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah i have to say it does remind me of the blue that put up a post complaining when he died as he was bank sitting at luna when it got raided by monsters.

There's a log out button, you don't have to be logged in afk in your house...

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah i have to say it does remind me of the blue that put up a post complaining when he died as he was bank sitting at luna when it got raided by monsters.

There's a log out button, you don't have to be logged in afk in your house...
Ummmm Hello??? you do if you are script training...sheeesh

Opps err...ummmm ya forget what I just said.... no one does that. Nothing to see here, move along!

:next:

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Being a SW, I like the huge no sight range of it ---in the field or chokes---. If they could keep that aspect but remove the house attacking aspect, that'd be cool.
Oh on your spellweaver you are a fan of the fact that it is broken and doesn't need LOS? That is weird.

I bet every holy fister also liked when it did 50 damage. Just because you like it does not mean that is how it should work. lol.

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Prime example, someone was standing outside SL base, hitting people within the structure via the thunderstorm spell, effectively fizzling their spells and getting them killed by the warriors inside. It was done by a mischievous player with no guild affiiliation on the Atlantic shard in 2 separate scenarios that I witnessed. The general consensus by all parties was that it was total BS that it was possible, because the mentioned mischievous player was completely out of harm's way when he did this.and he KNOWS he is abusing mechanics. He laughs about it and trolls gen chat.

Just saying, when you have players that abuse game mechanics at the expense of other players, it discourages participation in said game play. This can easily be remedied by adjusting this obvious oversight. More and more players are beginning to abuse it, as well.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I actually like this spell hitting without line of sight, but either way. I don't think it should be able to hit people inside of a player-house.

It's gotta be possible for the devs to code it such a way...

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They will only break it further, it's not that broken.
Remember when they nerfed hail storm so it spreads the damage? well now instead of spreading damage like meteor swarm, and chain lightning, it hits 50/50 damage. So lets say you go to cast hail storm on someone and they're standing next to a chicken, or dismounted, you've wasted your mana. And the chicken probably lives.

Insert chicken choke joke

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They will only break it further, it's not that broken.
Remember when they nerfed hail storm so it spreads the damage? well now instead of spreading damage like meteor swarm, and chain lightning, it hits 50/50 damage. So lets say you go to cast hail storm on someone and they're standing next to a chicken, or dismounted, you've wasted your mana. And the chicken probably lives.

Insert chicken choke joke
Thunderstorm needs fixed. It is broken and needs to be addressed. I don't buy in to the "not THAT broken" school of thought. It is very broken if you ask me.