• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Three simple question survey for anybody who played UO in the time period of around 1995 to 2006

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I played from around 2002/2003 and I never heard anyone on Europa use the term 'toon'. I'm pretty sure I first heard the term used on Stratics, maybe I never heard it before because it's more of an American term? Usually on Europa people said char/chars. Personally I have always hated 'toon', no idea why I dislike it so much but I really do.

Kuru

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Started on GL in 2002. Didn’t hear the term Until moving to Atl. I moved to Atl in maybe 2009?.. and still didn’t hear it until about 2013. Guild members used it in passing.

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...Currently, the internet claims the term originated from Ultima Online and that seems to have been passed on via word of mouth with no attempt to verify it as fact, and no active player from the days of yore that I've asked so far has been able to corroborate or verify this claim. Let's sort this out, where did it come from?

*Update / edit*
After taking the replies here and with a bunch of digging, I've found out that it began in "The Realm Online". This is good because for while a few UO players have propagated this evil, it relieves me to be sure that it wasn't created in UO.
No idea regarding the origin. Post official launch of Disney's Toontown Online in 2003 (closed 2013) was when the term seemed to enter widespread popular use. Maybe 2004-2005ish.
Never heard The Realm Online mentioned in conversation when questioning about the useage.

Mister McFeely

WoW Noob!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Toooooon i thinks cause they looked like little cartoons, Atlantic, a long long time ago............ ;)