• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thoughts on the SA plot

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey folks,

I've been getting some messages from people who would like to link their shops to my SA plot.

I intend on actually making it an outpost and not Luna 2. Being an outpost, I think anyone that wants to link to it.... shop or private home... should be allowed.

But I am kind of a design nut and I really don't want to build 3+ floors of tele tiles. I do not own any tele tiles. I'm not quite sure how it works. But here is my idea:

I would like to offer reserved tiles for some of the better known rp guilds... like United Pirates and my (good) neighbors PGoH. A few other tiles for some shops and the luna library. Maybe even a tile to the EM meeting hall if Messana will allow it. There would be no fee but they would have to provide the tiles. These tiles would be placed by themselves and accessible to or from the SA plot.

For private homes I would like to place all the tele tiles on top of one another. I would place them on a raised floor public tile that you can not step back on once you step off. This would allow folks a one-way trip to SA from their house. Not a big deal because you can recall out.

So I'm not sure that you can place tiles on top of one another. I cant imagine that would be an issue. There would be a problem with rechargeable tiles if they were all stacked. I hate to ask folks to trust me with their expensive vet rewards but I don't see another way. I wish the hitching post and (probably) for sale tele tiles were not re-chargeable. It would make things a little easier.

What are your thoughts? If you would like to link to an SA plot let me know. I would like to get a feel for the numbers so I design properly.

C

CatLord

On behalf of GRI, I would like to request a tile to our HQ... the EyE of the Storm.

Thank you for your generosity...

:grouphug:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Would be much easier just to link it to your Luna house and keep public access there.
I don't think that's unreasonable and is the same thing we are doing with NBG's.
People/Groups asking to place teleporters in your house is just a little too much I think. Yes, friends, guildmates and "family" for sure, but everyone else would understand I would think.
I mean everyone's got a rune to Luna moongate, and your house is just a screen away. :) (hell luna moongate is practically your front yard!)

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
BTW Congrats! I just realized I didnt say it lol. Awesome win!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As much as it would work against my fellow pirates (would be nice having a teleporter from there TO Red Skull Bay), I agree with Flutter's assessment.

Much easier to just link one public teleporter from a public place than to give "everyone" access.

(Though all decisions on UP's behalf goes to Pike.)

Oh yeah, and congrats on winning (I'm so jealous) and thanks for the offer!

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey folks.... What are your thoughts?
My thought is that you should do with the plot as you want and people should not pressure you into letting them make it into a "luna 2" as you have said yourself.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As much as it would work against my fellow pirates (would be nice having a teleporter from there TO Red Skull Bay), I agree with Flutter's assessment.

Much easier to just link one public teleporter from a public place than to give "everyone" access.

(Though all decisions on UP's behalf goes to Pike.)
I totally agree with Farsight. Instead of cluttering the house with teleporters, it makes more sense to add one teleporter that leads to a central location.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trust me folks, I have mastered pixel bending. I have spent a lot of time in the deco tool and the homes and castles forum. Before we get too far down the what is easier or what would look good path, I would not put up a house that didn't look decent.... at least I hope they look decent.

It is important (to me) to give rp guilds access from their village. Though I don't rp, I do enjoy watching the events and effort these folks put into this game. A linked SA plot in their village is a powerful tool.

I'll have more on pros and cons of this later (at work now).

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll add my 2 cents, just because.

I think it would totally rock to have a teleporter from a popular Luna house (especially one near the gate) and the Luna Library (as that is a location I go to a lot). That seems to make excellent practical sense. I can also see a lot of value in linking the two SA homes, if both owners can come to an agreement.

Perhaps, we as the Catskills community can come up with a donation fund to pay for the value of the teleporters joining the houses so the house owners don't need to cover this expense.

Anything else is just gravy on top of the meat and potatoes. Linking to the player run towns seems very generous as well as some other "smaller" homes/communities.

However, I think the owners should just do as they wish. They rolled the dice at the right time and won the lotto. Anything at all they do to offer a "service" to the community is much appreciated and NOT expected.

They Call Me Al

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm surprised I am the first to say this. You should just give me the plot :)

now that that's settled. Next order of business: free love

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A soul forge, and a blacksmithy forge and anvil would be nice. As would a teleporter from the Gargoyle Abyss spot to the Human Abyss spot.

But it's your house! Do whatever you want!
Congrats!

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A soul forge, and a blacksmithy forge and anvil would be nice. As would a teleporter from the Gargoyle Abyss spot to the Human Abyss spot.

But it's your house! Do whatever you want!
Congrats!
/noted

Though the soul forge eats up soooo much space. I'll probably break one and leave the anvil.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I *think* it won't be possible to stack teleporter tiles. In order to move from one tile to the second at another location, you do need to step directly on top of the tile - so it needs to be flush with the floor. If some tiles were raised, you couldn't step on those and the raised tiles would probably block access to the bottom-most one in any case.

The teleporter tiles do not need recharging.

(It would also be sweet if you liked and Mesanna would arrange it to create a teleporter between WBB and the Abyss house.)
That's my point about the one way trip for private homes. I could get tele tiles on one square... and at the same point on the Z axis. But I would place them either on a solitary second floor corner piece or raised so that you could not step back on them once you have stepped off. This would allow for an unlimited number of private homes one-way private access. Still I don't expect many takers on this.

As for shops, I have an idea brewing that could provide for 2-way access for about 30 or so shops. It wouldn't look too bad and the tiles would be easily identified.

I think I can also build in 5 or 6 guild bunkers. These would be small rooms themed towards rp guilds. There rooms would be dedicated to events and possibly recruitment.

In the end, I would like the outpost not only to be an entry point for SA, but an entry point for the community of Catskills. A player with the skills to survive SA is experienced enough to possibly be looking for something more in UO than farming and critter killing. If they aren't guilded already. They may see some options that look interesting at the outpost.

I can always follow Flutter's (and others) recommendation if it doesn't look quite right.

I have some great feedback from folks both here an in im. There are some wonderful people on this shard. It is sad that it has taken me so many years to see that.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to crap in everyone's corn flakes, but I just read on another forum that Mesanna said that only the owner, co-owners and friends will be able to recall into our out of the house. Same goes for teleport tiles and crystal portals.

Providing that's true, it effectively kills the plots use as an entry/exit point for the abyss. I'll see if I can get more info, maybe a direct link or quote.

[Edit]
I think there was a miscommunication along the way.
"1 more question, will the owner/friends be able to recall to the house? What about using linked telporters?"

Anyone who can mark runes in a normal house can mark runes in the Abyss house.
Linked teleporters will work.
This is the thread where the info first came out that it wouldn't be allowed. Hopefully we can get a concrete answer.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"1 more question, will the owner/friends be able to recall to the house? What about using linked telporters?"

Anyone who can mark runes in a normal house can mark runes in the Abyss house.
Linked teleporters will work.
That is the most recent "official" note I've seen on the matter.

But that was two weeks ago, and things can change.

I suppose we'll see when the owners actually move in.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I know, you can mark a rune inside any public house. It is not necessary to add people as friends.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to crap in everyone's corn flakes, but I just read on another forum that Mesanna said that only the owner, co-owners and friends will be able to recall into our out of the house. Same goes for teleport tiles and crystal portals.
That is probably for if the house is made private.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Update.
Black sun, i read the post you say, but mesanna herself said that rule when she trae me the house.

Im dissapointed cause i already bought the teleport tiles ^^U

Yeah they will aply, but only for friend list, owner and co, like i said.

For now it isnt be able to mark runes , cause she told me they were solving a prob, and i think it could be that you mean that everone could mark a rune, but have to w8 a week to see what happens.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it makes sense. Imagine what would happen (when) RMT set up shop in one of these plots.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got the plot. Messana said only friends can recall but anyone can tele tile if the house is public and the tiles are set to anyone (after tonight's maint). *edit* Oh.. As long as they have the SA upgrade and have done the quest.