• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This Shard needs a Tournament, am I right?

K

Kula

For the longest time I've always wanted to participate in a professionally ran duelling tournament in this game, and since EA seems bent on never giving us anything interesting to do, I am eager to actually get this off the ground. But UO certainly doesn't provide us with any tools at all to organize the community in any easy manner, this is part of why tournaments have been few and far between in our world.

What I propose is an annual summer festival for Legends, to be held in Fel, with the highlight being a series of dueling tournaments.

Initially, I realize the turnout will likely be small, but as years go on I am hopeful that word-of-mouth and the reputation of the festival will grow to an extent that participants will flock from every shard to play.

Anyways, this is still in the development phases, and I've yet to even run it by my guild, but it will be something I personally would like to operate and host beginning this summer.

For all of those who are interested, just show your support by replying in this thread for now. If you have suggestions please feel free to give input.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
gonna have to be in someone's fel house and the duelists set off from the rest else we'll have a gank/bloodbath...actually, forget it, anything in fel will be ruined by the immature.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hate to agree with legendsguy but it would be ruined by newbies who like to grief.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we had a Fel arena for a while, and the guys are right, every week it dissolved into mayhem..... we'd get some rounds in now and then, but then the nitwits would start casting and eventually the place would be surrounded by the sounds of battle

K

Kula

I have to figure out how to make the tournament professional enough, and the reward great enough that it will be worth it to everyone to act civilized for the duration of it. If all of the major guilds could agree to police their own members during such a tournament, we could turn this into a real event on Legends. Something that people look forward to, and something the those who play in Fel and Tram can enjoy participating in and being a spectator to it.

What I will try to do over the next few weeks is devise a set of rules, a website, and a system to run this by. Involvement and interest from the major Legends guilds will likely be necessary, but only so much as just giving support to it, and agreeing to abide by the rules.

The format I have in mind is such:
> Guilds whose members wish to participate in the tournament will have to agree to abide by the rules.
> Each guild will enter X number of duelists into the tournament.
Some guilds may want to run their own qualifiers and such, but most guilds probably already know who their best PVPers are.
> Guilds will be allowed X number of players in Each Group.
I haven't decided how many different Groups there will be, but I can say it will be split up in such a way so that you wont have a mage facing a ranged dexxer or an archer against a melee dexxer. How specific I will break it up (macers only - probably not), I am not sure yet, and any input is welcomed.
> Seeds will be randomly drawn using dice most likely - then each group will have their own playoff to decide the best of each class.
> Champions of each Group will be given a reward of some sort, maybe a trophy, prestige!, and qualification to face off against the other group winners in a round robin formatted playoff.
> An overall Champion is crowned, given more reward, more prestige, and so on and so forth.

The event would take place either in a marathon session or over a few days. Personally, I would like it to be over a few days - but I realize that if people were to leave and return they may come back with different templates - so it will likely take place in a single day.

The amount of duellists allowed will depend on the number of guilds interested in participating. I may or may not decide to view entrants prior to acceptence so as to allow more players from a certain guild should they have a number of players of a certain class that are relatively equal in skill. Whatever the case, I will not bar players from the event if they are capable in PvP.

Anyways I'll be working on this over this month and hopefully I can gain support from guild leaders across the shard to ensure that this will be taken seriously enough so that we may all have fun.

The only reason this will completely fail is going to be due to the fact that in UO, the players really control almost everything; and thus it will be left to us to decide whether or not this is something that we want to add to the game.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope yo ucan set something up. But trust me, weve done this in the past, and the first sore looser to get beat always brings his dumb friends and starts griefing...

But as I said, I hope you can figure it out.

Damia TMC

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have my support Max, I think we should try it. I think there might be ways around the mayhem. Sign up for it, not open to the public, griefers get banned from participating in the future. It might be a little sticky at first with immature people who can't follow rules, but eventually you'll have only those serious in competing and winning left standing. We have a lot of good PVP'ers on this shard who would love to show off their skills.

Damia

S

Shiloh

I think it sounds like fun. Hit me up and maybe we can put our heads together

B

Baghdaddy1

I support this...

But competing in past tournaments myself, the above comments are correct about griefing. Actually these tournaments are more suited towards mage dueling. If you put two parry dexxers in there, prepare for a 30 minute fight. Not a lot of skill there...... but nevertheless, Legends is in need of a tourney.

Im sure something can be figured out. I look forward to it.

K

Kula

Do you use MSN? If so, add: [email protected]

Also, I've been brainstorming up some ideas for this, so I might as well share.

So far I've decided what to do for trophies, I will use engraved weapons/spellbooks - and each will be representative of a class - though I haven't decided what to engrave for the overall champ.

For specific rewards I will have to come up with something, but I'm thinking high end runics - or items of equivalent value.

Verite to the winners of a Group/Class, and Val to the overall winner. Then agy hammer to runner up in all categories, and bkits going to people who made it to the semis, and finally gold to everyone who make it past the first round.

Something to that effect. I will take suggestions as to what better rewards could be offered. Also the rewards will be based on how many classes/groups that are used.

For the separation of classes/groups in the tourney, my initial thoughts are to divide and label them as such:
Spellcasters - This will include every template that uses Magery+EI as its backbone.
Warriors - Pretty much any melee template with a weapon skill, tactics, and parry - I figure if anyone removed any one of those three skills from the equation that they would likely be a spellcaster or unable to kill a warrior.
Archers
Tamers

Some questions arise:
What to do about hybrid templates? Can someone tell me about popular hybrid templates for PVP that actually work?
Ninjas - should I create an "assassins" group? I realize if this isn't done than most of them will split between archers and some warriors. And in a 1v1 duel they aren't going to be able to utilize their biggest weapon (death strike).
Less popular templates - I may run smaller groups for these and just hand out smaller rewards.

My goal is to include as many people as possible while not taking up too much time. So in the end a balance will be made, and templates that don't really work will likely be forced into joining a group they don't particularly do well against.

So that being said, I will hope to complete all of the group matches within 2-4 hours. If we only have 4 groups, that will mean we will have a playoff between 4 players to decide the Champion.

The 4 player playoff could then be held the following day.

Anyhoo, I am putting together a website to better explain the format, rules, etc, and to give news updates. For all those interested in helping out, please contact me via email/msn using the address provided somewhere above.

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like a lot of fun!

Omni don't worry, you and I can protect the event from griefers....in between our wins. You know...win our first round go out kill the griefers. Rinse and repeat.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But RL, what if we were to be the first fight, you get mad and come back to grief? I mean come on, im going to decimate you....I know your a better mage, but Ill use an aim bot to spam your computer so it causes massive lag and Ill win you! Rawr, Im evil sirrah.

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But RL, what if we were to be the first fight, you get mad and come back to grief? I mean come on, im going to decimate you....I know your a better mage, but Ill use an aim bot to spam your computer so it causes massive lag and Ill win you! Rawr, Im evil sirrah.

I'd seduce you before the fight, you wouldn't dare after my seduction dance!

V

Vyal

if you have a tourny i'll be there ;)

Only person on the shard who is any real match one on one is Alpha Kenny.
but if you wanna do it warrior vs warrior and no one to dispell pixies :/

F

fujiflu

ILL BE IN THE TOURNY ! =D will it be just pure mages? or will necro mage be alowed?

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vyal, dude, I just dont get where you think your actually any good. I mean super seriously your not that great. Better than average maybe, but among the best no. I mean for **** sakes, your main is a damned archer with pixies...

Grog [TMC]

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vyal, dude, I just dont get where you think your actually any good. I mean super seriously your not that great. Better than average maybe, but among the best no. I mean for **** sakes, your main is a damned archer with pixies...
Everyone quit arguing, I mean come on! Its assured I would win the whole thing anyways.

-Grog

K

Kula

Damia, those aren't the actual dates I'm holding the tourney :/ Basically the tourney will fall somewhere between those dates.

This is going to be a busy 3 weeks for me at work though, so progress will be slow for a bit.

I'm going to work on the rules some more, the format, and then I'll make an announcement for Guilds to sign up.

And depending on how quickly I can generate interest will determine how soon the tournament will start in August.

:)

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
don't do it between these dates PLZ---July 13th-27th!

I'll be gone doin **** IRL....and i kinda want a shot at winning the tourny. Just a shot!!

:eyes:

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe doh, just read ur site. I guess I'll be fine date wise then. NM...my bad!

Plucky Duck

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
also there is the issue of templates how most of pvp is reaction reaction and no one is going to want to pvp against other templates that are just not equal.

Unless you make them same template vs you wont get allot of peps doing it.:mf_prop:

K

Kula

2 Updates:
First, I've gotten into a serious relationship so I wont be able to start the tourney in August. Though that being said the relationship is complicated and I will find free time again after August 18th due to my gf being 3000 miles away - how far exactly is Moscow from NY? :(
So I could conceivably hold an event in August/Sept still.

Second, given the fact that TMC's guild leader was banned, I am considering quitting UO over the matter. If EA doesn't take the matter seriously, then I will refuse to renew.

Whatever the case, if I do quit I will still have time left on my account. Thus I think there will still be time enough for me to put together a tournament and use all of my items as rewards for the winners.

Take care.

B

BardMal

I would like to sponsor a "nakid joust" - I can probably scrape up 10 mil for prizes, or reasonable equivalent.

I spoke with Lerocian about making some sort of dueling guild stone for player run events like these so they could be held without unguilding chars, and out side of fel saving spectators & participants from griefers.

He seemed interested, but concerned that these "duel stones" might lead to skill gain exploits. They have pretty full plates, but he did seem interested in figuring out a way to make it work.

when we held the "nekid gladiator tourney" we did it on a tower roof top in fel and had alot of fun.

K

Kula

Let's keep in touch, I only log in at odd hours at night, but after august 18th I'll have free time. For the most part I use kula AT msn DOT com for IMs and email.