• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This is it.

N

nushpapa

Im gonna edit this, i'll just leave with some info and my opinion of what should happen.

1) You believe writing offs means that the bonds r collapsing or sumthing, no its just the adjustment of the bond's value to it's TRUE value. They were literally worth **** all from the start, fund managers with non-commerce backgrounds just decided to buy D grade securities iussued by A+ credit status corporations (they were tricked in a sense, their fault but still). Nothing more, if anything the problem at the moment is that banks will no longer trust (as much) each other and thus will cause problems with the borrow/lend relation banks have with each other. No if you understand anything about how banks operate, you will know this is a major problem.

2) you mentioned getting out of shares etc... that depends on who you are. A long term holder or short term, remember just because you buy shares doesn't mean you can't sell them. This is actually a very good oppotunity to stock up on shares, or just to daily trade them. for example Macq bank, yes they ahve dropped over 33% in the last year, but every 3-4 days their volatility is like 10%. Now imaging investing 10k, 10% is 1 grand - capital gains tax thats still a >5% profit. Yes you have to time it correctly but even if you don't make 10%, whats wrong with a 5% gain pre-tax.

And you want to do sumthing to help the world? Go earn some money and donate to scientific research to help the global problem. Donate to the corporations that fund research into alternative fuel etc.. (thats what i hope to do when i enter the work force)

Btw: i don't play uo, i quit in order to concentrate more on my studies. I have my priorities and uo is not one of them.

S

snakesfury

Brilliant post Stumpy.
Certainly have experienced and/or witnessed a lot of what you said right there.
Respect.

If Darkfall ever does make it past vapourware status (unlikely) hit me or Pet up fo' sho.
Gaming is in a terrible state at the moment and crying out for a saviour.

D

Dain

Brilliant post Stumpy.
Certainly have experienced and/or witnessed a lot of what you said right there.
Respect.

If Darkfall ever does make it past vapourware status (unlikely) hit me or Pet up fo' sho.
Gaming is in a terrible state at the moment and crying out for a saviour.
Actually agree :D

Gaming atm is in it's grave. Something VERY different and new needs to come around otherwise we're gonna end up with a few dregs in all the games, server merges and everyone will play WoW because it's the only game with people in it or quit.

NEW NEW NEW!

OMG NUSH LIVES!!

I agree, i am a simple person with simple needs. I don't ever intend to work a 9-5. The industry i work in has little to no office work, very creative and hands on, flexible, always new and exciting and considering the work needed to get into it, pays VERY well. I just hope the novelty doesn't wear off if ever i am forced to go full time.

N

nushpapa

what do ppl think of age of conan? Im starting it now not much of an opinion atm

Only problem initially with the game was... fk u need a decent computer lol... well i cbbed buying a desktop so yeah finding a laptop that has the specs for it was a bit annoying... they were either too weak or the graphics card was too crap or they weighed like 5 kgs lol

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what do ppl think of age of conan?
I havent looked into it much, but from what ive read and seen of it, it looks like a silimar version of WOW, have to contantly grind to get anywhere. I may be wrong but thats wat it looks like to me.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I havent looked into it much, but from what ive read and seen of it, it looks like a silimar version of WOW, have to contantly grind to get anywhere. I may be wrong but thats wat it looks like to me.
Thats the impression i got too. Becides which, im not buying a brand new comp just for that.

D

Dain

Nah it's not much of a grind at all.

U can reach level 80 in about 3 weeks if u play regularly and resources money etc are easy to come by; its kinda like UO in the sense that the end game is easy as to get to but the fun only starts once you get there.

But it got boring real quick, there was a lot of buggs and missing features so i might check it out again in a few months but atm it feels like a chore to log onto AoC.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nah it's not much of a grind at all.

U can reach level 80 in about 3 weeks if u play regularly and resources money etc are easy to come by; its kinda like UO in the sense that the end game is easy as to get to but the fun only starts once you get there.

But it got boring real quick, there was a lot of buggs and missing features so i might check it out again in a few months but atm it feels like a chore to log onto AoC.
Can you get camped by high levels like in WoW? Thats one of the major reasons i left WoW. That and the great bore of a grind the game is

N

nushpapa

Yeah i got whacked by ppl 10-15 lvls higher then 1 hit kill lol.. its literally free for all.... good to ahvea few friends in case sum1 massive guy fked u voer.. like my guy can tangle u up for a few seconds enough to get away.... although often i die in 2 hits bcz the pl who get me r liek 20 lvls higher which is sortta a pancake.

But yes the grinding and quests r very annoying... well i just dun like doing that **** its so boring go to some fked up place 15 minutes a way kill a boss come back get ur exp + gold... well thats 1 way of leveling.. questing but im starting to think just grind things a level or 2 above and just keep at it till ur high enough to bea ctive in the pvp community... which is sortta everyone. SOme people cry but hek they will prolly quit soon enough lol

N

nushpapa

lol and dain gonna take me a yr to get lvl 80... i play it but not evry much haaha... got to 20 and like ahvn't oplayed for 2-3 days lol

L

Lord Remy

Ppl who screw themselves over generally find new and inventive ways to do it, then blame everything and everyone else for their state. Sometimes there is someone who is stuffing up your life but sometimes, it's just you.

If you blame the game for your woes, it means you haven't accepted responsibility for your own life. Chances are you will quit then just find a different way of screwing up your life.

Personally, I did play for lots of hours and spent a lot of time in-game and met some really nice people. The grinding may have helped stuff up my back but I have no regrets about playing the game and never will because the people I met I will cherish forever. Some are truly the nicest people in the world (so rare you have to search the entire planet to find em) and they made a very positive difference to my life and I hope I returned the favour in some small way.

The grinding in the other MMORPG games is much worse than here. UO as always is ahead of the other games and acknowledge that grinding loses customers bc it destroys their health. It is why they allow attended macroing, which though not ideal, will have to do until someone comes up with a better incentive system for playing online pc games.

Also UO is a PRETEND world. Unlike the real world and some other games, this world is what we make it. If you don't like it, you may need to work a bit harder on making it the way you want.

D

Dain

Ppl who screw themselves over generally find new and inventive ways to do it, then blame everything and everyone else for their state. Sometimes there is someone who is stuffing up your life but sometimes, it's just you.

If you blame the game for your woes, it means you haven't accepted responsibility for your own life. Chances are you will quit then just find a different way of screwing up your life.
Agreed.

After blaming their addictions/hobbies my next favourite is when a religious person blames it their god and refuses to take any responsibility for anything.

A

Amathist of PoC

Well, accounts are finally closed and I have put in my notice to stratics.

I haven't been around the last few months as I have gone out and found myself a life which the game deprived me of for over 3 years. All I can say, is Thank God its over.

Addiction to an online game is a strange thing, it has all the hallmarks of an actual drug addiction, without the actual mind altering side effects. Seeing what I was, playing a game for 10+ hours a day, ignoring friends and family disgusts me and seeing what it has actually done to others is even worse. To name a few things:

5 Broken Marriages. 2 because of online adultery, 2 from real adultery and one from someone just getting sick of their partner playing for so long.
A "secret" threesome which became known by most of the community.
People cheating on their partners at "RL Meetups"
People spending thousands on a game when they actually cannot afford it. (I know some can and they can make some good money from it)
People sending around nude pictures of themselves to other people to get benefits in game. (Admittedly this wasn't on Oceania)
People forwarding on nude pictures that were sent to them from their "E-lover" (this WAS on Oceania)
Threats of RL legal action and use of personal details against them (I had this done to me)

This is just the tip of the iceberg sadly. I could keep going if I wanted to.

Another funny thing, how willing people are to "trust" others over the net, especially from an online game. I have heard so many stories from so many different people about the real life happenings of each other, One night I even had 3 separate people telling me one story about someone but each slightly twisted to add a new aspect to it.
So-called "trusted" and well liked people were telling me things (and offering to send me things) that would make even the immature Adelaide twins blush.

There are alot of things I will admit I laughed at that they did. I had people who on stratics were condemning them, but were icqing me the next day to tell them something else to spread around about their guildmates/friends.
Why? I do not know. Some things I passed on, but most if I didn't found their way into Petrify's knowledge anyway, so were used anyway.
The Rons? Just rich young men with too much time on their hands. They have the information because tongues wag and so so many people to bait and annoy, mixed with a seemingly ineffective new system *coughs* they just can get so much entertainment out of annoying people who they won't meet outside of a forum online, so it means nothing to them.
Now when someone says to a child "don't provoke the dog, it will bite you" and the child does it, gets bitten and cries to mummy, the child seemingly does deserve what they get for ignoring the warning.
When someone says, don't reply to the foolish twins and provoke them to go further, the person does so, gets abused and goes crying to authority (in this case moderators) do they deserve what they get??
Oh and just a note to the "Janitor Bashers" A good friend of mine cleared $200k last year from doing majority Cleaning with a bit of other odd jobs on the side, so it definately can get you just as much, if not more cash than a general little pencil dic.....Pusher. Hell, his boss paid for him to go on an Antarctic cruise last year as a 5 year with the company present.

It's almost a seedy kind of little world under the surface of UO. The PvPers are the most honest bunch of them all really. They tell is as they think they see it (although sometimes fluffing up a number or two) but the world of the "trammy" is fake. So many "secrets" have been revealed, from someones inability to have children to someones depravity with vegetables (it wasn't a photoshop job either)*shudders*

Now UO...... Formerly a great game. The community made the game. Now you know about the real community.
It was never that awesome as it was made out to be. Graphics were always horrid. Dev support, worse. The one thing about the game that made it great, truly separate from the others, the skill system died with AoS. The age of stuff made UO about the items, not the player. I was a horrid PvPer, most can attest to that, but I had a great suit and good bows, so therefore I was good. Scripting made it easy for one to train a character in a few days, or to get the wood or ore they wanted, or even to find idocs. *coughs*

Now my rant doesn't include everyone on here. There are a few great and actual genuine people. Ovr, Silk, Sneaky, Mijac, Simsalabim, Squall, Jedi, (yes I put them together in a positive sentence) to name a few, but there is just that much crap that is spread around that the lines between truth and fiction are only known when the pictures are received and then promptly deleted because..... well they were rather sickening.

This is the end of my rant here, alot of you will know of the events in which I speak, some because you may have told me, some because you heard it from those who told me.
The door has already hit my ass a few times (it felt good so I let it) so farewell, I may come back for a chat every now and again but I am more than over UO and its crap. If not, I will see you in Darkfall. the way UO should have ended up.

Firstly farewell safe journeys and I truly hope you find the enjoyment in life that you seek and that it continues to make you happy for a long while.

I have witnessed some of what you speak of myself and via the grape vine and yes some actions of others towards people in this game and then carried over to real life sickens me.

BUT I try to view positives, I myself have made some really cool, now real life friends through the game. some who I have met up with and others I am yet to visit but will when I get the chance but are people I still consider friends.

On the flip side I guess there are people who have expressed themselves in a way or have addressed the community in such a way that I probably wouldn't put them out if they where on fire But thats just me, I do not believe in hiding behind my keyboard so to speak. There is nothing I have ever posted that I would not say directly to someone's face unfortunately as you stated alot of people can not say the same.

I wish you well and respect your opinion, I perhaps do not agree with this dredge up of things past as with the new boards they perhaps could have been forgotten or at least left in a closet some place but your entitled to feel how you feel and if this is your wish as a good bye to the community then no one can really argue with that...I personally was happy all the drama and bickering and sickening behavior was not going to be around........now I guess we will have to wait and see what becomes of the new forums.

In reference to "but the world of the "trammy" is fake." - I just do not agree, there are alot of genuine and trust worthy people in trammel and felucia I do not think that there is any player style that has more honesty then another and that one is any more real then another. I have friends and aquaitences on both sides of the fence.

any way wishing you well hope life treats you kind and you have a blast doing what ever your going to be doing.

Berym

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait... wait wait wait.

There was boobs and sex and no one told me?

Damnit, I miss out on all the fun.

EDIT: On a more serious note, sorry to see Oceania lose another long time player. Man, the old days of UO...

U

UOPODCASTING.COM

I had to laugh when I read Stumpy's farewell as the underbelly to this community is no worse than the underbelly to many small communities in real life.

Good luck with DarkFall Stumpy, if it ever see's the light of day.

Cheers
Shane