This has nothing to do with UO but I've always gotten good advice from here.

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Before you attemp to answer this, please make sure you know what you are talking about. And I need step by step instructions.

ok, I have a Microsoft Word document. What I need to do is:

1. Leave the very first page blank.
2. Starting on page 2 - 8 I need to use Roman Numerals to number them.
3. Starting on page 9, I need to use regular numbers to number them.
4. Each time I get to a new chapter on the first page, I need to number upper center.
5. All subsequent pages after each chapter needs to be numbered lower center.

I've tried all sorts of instructions on websites and none of them helped. Soon as I change the format of one section all pages revert to that. I've used page breaks, footers etc.. nothing works.

Thanks,

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 12, 2008
Europe
www.neoseeker.com
Page breaks, no. Section breaks, yes.

To demonstrate all of the criteria you state:

Granted, I'm not using the abortion of a word processor that you call "Microsoft Word," however I know the same can be accomplished using the same technique within it.

Go look it up.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
I see you've demonstrated but how did you do that in one document thats what I wanted to know

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
ah gotcha, thanks I'll give it a try

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Manticore, here are a couple of tips that might help you out:

When you put in the section breaks, you will probably want to use the "Section Break (Next Page) type." These create a combination section break/page break.

You will want to go under the View option at the top and toggle between Pint Layout (and/or Reading Layout if you have a newer version of Word) and Normal to better see your page and section breaks.

Under the View option, you use the Header/Footer option to actually see the headers and footers.

Once you have clicked inside of a header or footer, there are some options to let you link your header or footer to the header or footer style you used in the previous section. This is handy if you want to keep the same type of header, for example, but use a different type of footer. There are also options to let you quickly move to the previous or next footer (or header).

Under the Insert option, you use the Page Numbers choice to indicate the position, alignment, and format of the page numbers. (Format options include the type of numbering to use, options for incorporating a chapter number into your page numbers, letting page numbering run sequentially from the previous section, and/or forcing the page numbering to start over with that section.) Note that there is a checkbox that you can leave unchecked so that the first page of the section where you use that page numbering style has no page number on it.

Something else that I strongly urge you to consider is looking at Styles. It sounds like you are writing a book. Styles are your friend! They may take a little while to set up, but they will make formatting a breeze once you figure out what you want. They can automatically incorporate all of the rigamarole described above so it is handled consistently throughout your document. Styles are one of the options under the Format option at the top of the screen.

Last tip: If you feel like your current document is totally mucked up and has become too difficult to clean up with styles, create a fresh new one and establish all the styles you want. Then use Copy and Paste Special, selecting "unformatted text" when you actually paste the text. If your document is already quite long, it may take you a while to move everything over, but perhaps still less time than trying to fix the formatting of your original document. If you don't want to do this, you may also find handy the "Reveal Formatting" option (under Format) that is available in the newer versions of Word.

Good luck to you!