• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thieves gone soft?

R

Rusko

Why are all the thieves that used to actually do decent stuff just following Chad's footsteps? There are like 5 different theif comics? So when you get to lame to use your skills to make cash you make boring tram comics, that half, I honestly believe are setup with a friend you steal from... i guess that's following the bandwagon... LAME:rant2:

I never cared to much for Rico, but ****, at least he is still keeping it real.

Good Looks Rico for staying true to the skill!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Can't tell if serious or wrong. Some of these stories feature easy steals, but the vast majority do not. What do you consider non-soft steals? I can guarantee you that any response that you have to this question will be featured in the stories. Also, do you have any evidence that half of all stories are set up? I don't understand where you're coming from, nor where you're gathering data.

Btw, you can find some of Rico's stories here: UO Thief | TheScoundrelRico.

R

Rusko

I'm just saying who said the standard was to evolve into comic book designers?

R

Rusko

Also, it reveals methods and strategy used by a thief... Seems to me when the good thieves got bored they decided to ruin it for everyone else by showing everyone tricks of the trade making it more difficult for new thieves... and we wonder why the skill almost died off before monster steals published.... w/e

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Also, it reveals methods and strategy used by a thief... Seems to me when the good thieves got bored they decided to ruin it for everyone else by showing everyone tricks of the trade making it more difficult for new thieves... and we wonder why the skill almost died off before monster steals published.... w/e
Well, that's probably true. I understand this argument. Personally, I think that the stories help encourage new thieves to pick of the mantel, but I can see how the stories also reveal tradecraft.

But what qualifies as a non-soft steal? Champ spawns are were most of the better stories take place.

R

Rusko

I guess, I'd just like to see less about PvP steals, NPC's can't adapt and learn by reading forums... but other players can lol...

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well, the downside is that stealing from an ogre would remove some of the story's suspense. lol

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what does monster stealing have to do with anything? The thief profession has been about the same, borderline dead since insurance was added to the game. If you want NPC steals you're reading the wrong forum, the treasure hunters w/ stealing skill forum is the one below this one.

And it's always been more about the stories than the loot, most sites are offline these days but there used to be a LOT of webpages with chronicles of thief/pk/looter stories even back to '98, a LOT more than still exist today. What's someone going to pick up from these stories that's not obvious. Thieves use stealth, thieves take things....or...omg...thieves actively hunt one of the only areas of the game where things of value drop that aren't able to be insured.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, you're about on the money with the "got bored" parts.

These days, you're lucky to have 100 people logged onto Atlantic during prime hours when an event with guaranteed EM item drops is happening. Harrowers are spawned, again on Atl of all places, and actually left until they decay. Fel died. What was left decided to go the free route, where there's more active players.

The last few stories I did up for Chad's site was some of the only real fun I've managed in this game in the better part of 3 years. Even than, those stealing sprees in my posts were disappointing at best.

There are no trade secrets to being a thief, anymore. It is plenty easy. Get a half-decent suit. Don't even bother hiding or stealthing. Just walk up to the person while on mount, open their pack, and take what you want. Chances are they wont/cant do a thing about it. If you aren't in factions with your thief, I feel that an accurate depiction.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are very little thief secrets. Although being a disarm thief on siege is still absolutely hilarious. The humor in being a disarm thief will never get old for me.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have not found much on faction thieves. Is it better to be in a faction or just a preference of whether or not you want to be in a faction?

There are very little thief secrets. Although being a disarm thief on siege is still absolutely hilarious. The humor in being a disarm thief will never get old for me.
What is the humor in a disarm thief? Is it just because there aren't many playing that template or another reason? Is it different on Siege compared to regular shards?

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a disarm thief is a template generally specialized in wrestling weapons away from pvpers (thus the stronger they are/better the weapon the better), it generally involves getting into the middle of a fight (the more people the better) and mugging someone mid-fight.

on non-siege shards disarm thief is useless, since you can't steal any of their equipment .

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Don't most Siege players Siege bless their weapon? I was under the impression that it is harder to find a good weapon than it is to find decent armor so people are blessing their weapon instead of other items.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes and no, bless their best one, most people still carry 3-4 weapons...you pretty much have to in UO these days.