• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thief Template + Treasurehunter?

S

SYNFLOOD

Hi,

I want to make a thief, no fighting one, rather a run away thief, but that also can go on champhunt for stealing only.

Skills:

Stealing
Hiding

... what should I add else. If it's possible to add a treasurehunter in it, would be fine.

A

Arch Magus

Sorry, I don't know much about treasurehunting.
But, this is the template i use to steal from players at Champ spawns all the time (and usually get away)...

snooping
stealing
hiding
stealth
magery
fencing
ninjitsu

This is very fun to play.
I highly recommend it.

S

SYNFLOOD

how do you use your stats?

what do u do with:

magery
fencing
ninjitsu

exactly?

A

Arch Magus

As far as stats,
I max out my Strength for more carrying weight and HP's.
I have Dex and Int balanced, something around 60/70.

Magery-my favorite thief skill (besides stealing lol). Heal, G heal, cure, arch cure, invisibility, teleport, recall/gate. EV's. Lots of fun to be had with magery. lots of escape abilities and healing.

Fencing- this is my defensive skill. with no weapon skill or wrestling, you will be hit by any kind of melee attack 100% of the time. this is not good.
also, Shadowstrike! an absolute godsend of a special move. this can get you out of LOTS of tight situations.

Ninjitsu- Animal form! the only reason I have it. Wait, also for Shadowjump! once you can do llama form, your survivability will increase x10 fold.

what do you intend to do exactly?

S

SYNFLOOD

I'm a bit unsure. I was playing on Drachenfels for 6 years, but restarted some days ago again with UO on Siege (cause I like the ruleset. It's like in the past times.

I want to create a character that is able to fight but also able to have some fun.
Seems that this char u described here is the one for me to play.

A

Arch Magus

If you're on Siege, I recommend picking up Poisoning with your Fencing.
You can still be a thief, but you can also regularly kill people.:D

R

Robthemilt

For treasure hunting, you'll need more combat ability than a thief can handle now. But if you mean crate thief, you should ask in the other forum, you'll get more help than just me and Arch Magus.

But when i first started my thief i was stealing from Dungeons, Town Chests, AND Players with a template that looked something like

100 hiding
100 snoop
110 stealth
115 steal
85 ninja
60-80 magery-had to do with gear
and 95ish lockpicking before i gave up training it.

It was incomplete and not great for PVP getaways, but i was fine to steal from the dungeons and towns.
Str dex and int arent too important just get good str for the HP. And wear Armor. Definitely Wear armor.

S

SYNFLOOD

well, creating a thief with fencing and poisoning came also in my mind but then, I didn't continued this idea, cause normaly I'll die very often. I need a healing skill to res my bounded horse.

Or is it not true that I gonna die often?
I would like to take posioning in my template. together with fencing for example.

The way I think: If I steal something and am disclosured, I have to run away and hide myself. I'll never be strong enought to fight against a person that has a pure pk character or?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
well, creating a thief with fencing and poisoning came also in my mind but then, I didn't continued this idea, cause normaly I'll die very often. I need a healing skill to res my bounded horse.

Or is it not true that I gonna die often?
I would like to take posioning in my template. together with fencing for example.

The way I think: If I steal something and am disclosured, I have to run away and hide myself. I'll never be strong enought to fight against a person that has a pure pk character or?
Unless your sticking Vet and Animal Lore on there you're not gonna rez your bonded horse anyways.

I'd take the Poisoning......

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It sounds as if you're making the mistake a lot of us did as new players, trying to put too much into one template.

You could build a thief to steal at champs and fill in time between steals from players by stealing from the monsters, getting the lotions and balms. The 'gem of salvation' is likely to be quite useful, since dying out in lost lands can be something of a long walk for a rez :D

C

Chiera

Sorry, I don't know much about treasurehunting.
But, this is the template i use to steal from players at Champ spawns all the time (and usually get away)...

snooping
stealing
hiding
stealth
magery
fencing
ninjitsu
I didn't play a thief since before AOS and currently I am thinking about revamping a somewhat redundant mage to a thief on the more darkside of the profession. I am aware that a lot of things changed since then, and I have a few questions concering the template and a bit concerning playstyle.
The template I was thinking about is a bit similar to yours as most of the skills are on the char anyway or stoned (xept steal/snoop unfortunately). Since I can use two blessed skill items (pb'ed shadow legs and blessed bandana) it would somewhat look like this:
stealing 90 (120 with items)
snooping 90 (100 with items)
stealth 80 (100 with items)
hiding 100
fencing or wrestling 120
ninja 110
magery 110
The rest in focus or tracking

Then again, I remember dying a lot as a thief (most probably due to utter incompetence), so running naked was the way to go. Taking this into account, maybe it would be a good idea to replace magery with resist for the basic resistances without armor and put in enough chiv for recalling out. That way I would not rely on anything unblessed and dying would be a cheap option.

Other thing I am currently undecided on is wrestle or fencing. Disarm and stun from wrestle are somewhat appealing, but if I skipped magery as well this would leave the guy without any offensive capacity whatsoever.

So this is a bit a question of playstyle I think. For anything other than hit and quit I assume suitible armor and items are a must. How do you go about this ? Is running naked still the preferred way to go ?

thanks in advance

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why is '2 blessed items' a feature? What's not blessed would be insured, as far as armour is concerned, surely?

C

Chiera

not a feature, just a convenience :) Coming from the 'naked' thief idea I was thinking about a template that is similar to that in terms of nothing to loose at all when dying. No insurance and no restocking after an untimely greyout. But that would mean only using blessed items which limit the options in terms of equipment somehow ;) A bit of compensation would be taking up resist for magery. The idea doesn't feel to comfortable though. Guess I have to experiment with both options...

If I skip the idea completely, then lrc and insurance would probably be the way to go.

A

Arch Magus

I didn't play a thief since before AOS and currently I am thinking about revamping a somewhat redundant mage to a thief on the more darkside of the profession. I am aware that a lot of things changed since then, and I have a few questions concering the template and a bit concerning playstyle.
The template I was thinking about is a bit similar to yours as most of the skills are on the char anyway or stoned (xept steal/snoop unfortunately). Since I can use two blessed skill items (pb'ed shadow legs and blessed bandana) it would somewhat look like this:
stealing 90 (120 with items)
snooping 90 (100 with items)
stealth 80 (100 with items)
hiding 100
fencing or wrestling 120
ninja 110
magery 110
The rest in focus or tracking

Then again, I remember dying a lot as a thief (most probably due to utter incompetence), so running naked was the way to go. Taking this into account, maybe it would be a good idea to replace magery with resist for the basic resistances without armor and put in enough chiv for recalling out. That way I would not rely on anything unblessed and dying would be a cheap option.

Other thing I am currently undecided on is wrestle or fencing. Disarm and stun from wrestle are somewhat appealing, but if I skipped magery as well this would leave the guy without any offensive capacity whatsoever.

So this is a bit a question of playstyle I think. For anything other than hit and quit I assume suitible armor and items are a must. How do you go about this ? Is running naked still the preferred way to go ?

thanks in advance
Hi Chiera,

As far as skills, you're good to go.
As far as armor, wear it! And don't skimp out. Find some cheap meddable leather with high resists and Hitpoint regen. LRC if you prefer not to carry regs. I run a 70% LRC suit with high resists, HP and stamina regen. He only carries a handful of regs when he ventures out.

Naked thieves will not make it at spawns i'm sorry to say. Get a suit on with high Physical and Poison. that should keep you well alive in the dungeons. physical and poison protects you from enemy player earthquake spells and nox fields.

Fencing or wrestling. I had wrestle for the longest time.
Disarm and stun are moves you DONT need to be sticking around to use on your enemies.
I switched to fencing. without tactics you can still use the Shadowstrike special move that instantly puts you into stealth. Excellent move.

Keep that template and you will have a ball, I gua-ran-tee. :D

welcome back to the theiving profession!