• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thief Tax Got You Down?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Cheer up! Shinobi's a cleaver guy, but that doesn't mean he's the only one who can share in the fun. :lick:

United We Fight has, for the past several months, kept an updated log of character names affiliated with the so-called thief tax. These names are on our ban list in order to prevent unwanted intrusion. Names are being added daily (currently, we have over 60 names). As long as United We Fight is targeted by this tax, we will happily provide these names to any guild leader whose guild is currently targeted.

Shinobi, et al., are perfectly within their right in attempting to exact this tax. Likewise, Atlantic guilds are within their right to resist.

PM or ICQ 449-310-493. Guild leaders only, please.

P.S. If you're wondering how Shinobi and Oblivion hear you every time you speak near a felucca bank, PM me for pix. :thumbsup:

S

Shinobi

Lol...and the fun begins. All i have to say is.....disguise kits/name changes. Enjoy your "ban list".

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
We only have to ban one toon to ban the whole account. Moreover, disguise kits will not hide your true names on a guild roster. Lastly, not even Oblivion has enough money to buy name change tokens for 60 characters.

However, there is still time for you to grant UWF immunity: no photos are names have been released. Last chance.

P.S. Keep in mind, all of the people on this list can be targeted in fel without giving murder counts. :thumbsup:

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL this is hilarious but seriously having seen Shins vendor and the spoils some of you haven't even noticed missing... I really think the mill a month is a better choice but that's just me... Hes getting alot more out of you guys then he would if you just paid up haha and your giving him something to do =)

S

Shinobi

We only have to ban one toon to ban the whole account. Moreover, disguise kits will not hide your true names on a guild roster. Lastly, not even Oblivion has enough money to buy name change tokens for 60 characters.

However, there is still time for you to grant UWF immunity: no photos are names have been released. Last chance.

P.S. Keep in mind, all of the people on this list can be targeted in fel without giving murder counts. :thumbsup:
Lol, first of all, you've banned like 5 of us, at max, from the castle. It only takes one thief to do the job 10 times if he/she wants.

Disguise kits don't hide true names on the roster? Lol, if you say so.

If you guys are doing this much to prevent thieves, how is it that we already have multiple thieves waiting in the guild, some of which have been there for weeks. It honestly isn't that hard, lol. All i have to do is say the word and you guys lose another 20mil. Don't believe me? Good...keep it that way.

And as for the Crystal Thief, show everyone who PMs you. I've already taken it above and beyond that room. The room is old news in comparison to the new methods, lol.

P.S. Thieves die all the time, we don't care, lol.

P.P.S. Nothing personal Valor, i still loves you.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you cant detect a kit/incog name. there is something wrong. It sucks to have to do it. but if you suspect it. there are precautions.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Nope, disguise kits don't change your name on a guild roster. Of the five or so thieves we've banned, only one of you (you, personally) have made a decent steal. I like those odds.

Nothing personal here, either. In different circumstances we're friends, but I have a responsibility to my guild. You understand. ;)

T

Tazar

Since Shinobi originally was targeting guilds over 100 members, then later lowered the bar to 50, and now UO.Com guild search is not working, how do they know who to target anymore? UWF, LLTS, Hot/Heat are obvious, but what about those closer to the line?

An ODE member was given a book a while back, and she literally laughed in their face at Luna Stables. We haven't heard a word since...

T

Tazar

also... Disguise kits should be worthless to a thief attempting to get recruited since they do not last all that long - and you get a random name rather than the option to select one.

Any guild that meets someone - and recruits them that fast deserves to be hit (no insult intended, just an observation). Take time to get to know someone before recruiting them!

R

RichDC

Just so you guys no...A disguise kit when cleverly used WILL indeed hide the persons name from the roster.

I wont go into details...but it can be done!

M

Mr. Gnome

Any guild that meets someone - and recruits them that fast deserves to be hit (no insult intended, just an observation). Take time to get to know someone before recruiting them!
Amen!

He tried my guild, twice, unsuccessfully. I also was stealthed when he was talking to someone about the "tax," it was very funny.

M

Mairut

Oh my, what fun! :love:

I was telling a friend earlier that I hope we get a few public, off-the-wall hilarious to-dos from all this.

They said that there probably wouldn't be a chance, because common sense suggests most parties involved would probably want to keep any incident quiet (or something along those lines) :sad4:

I can hope for at least one, though, right? :D

T

Tazar

Oh my, what fun! :love:

I was telling a friend earlier that I hope we get a few public, off-the-wall hilarious to-dos from all this.

They said that there probably wouldn't be a chance, because common sense suggests most parties involved would probably want to keep any incident quiet (or something along those lines) :sad4:

I can hope for at least one, though, right? :D
Mairut,

In case you missed the first chapter of the story, you can read about it here.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shin is an idiot ... LOL

He xfered all the way to Pacific to try and steal something from me.. I let him think he was going to steal it but failed : /

M

Mairut

Mairut,

In case you missed the first chapter of the story, you can read about it here.
Thank you...I read it when it was first posted.

One can still hope for some amusement from all this. If not, then I may just have to infiltrate a guild myself to get my kicks :D

S

Shinobi

Shin is an idiot ... LOL

He xfered all the way to Pacific to try and steal something from me.. I let him think he was going to steal it but failed : /
Kaladan...lol. Actually, i was cross-shard stealing. I had gone to Catskills, Baja, then to Pacific. When i got to Pacific, the majority of YOUR guild members HIRED me to steal the item. They all worked together to try and make the plan work. Even though it didn't work out, it proves that you need to watch your back due to you being a greedy, terrible GM. It's pretty sad when your own guild members plot against you with a thief.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GO SHINOBI GO!!!

Thanks for years of good laughs...even if many of them were spent with your mitts in mah pack!

T

Tazar

Looked like there was some drama on it last night upstairs in Luna...

Anyone want to spill the details for Mairut and the rest of us? :thumbup1:

ohmyGED

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hmmm.....let me pull out my UWF log from back in January:

1/3/09:

Exilier
Alchemist Bauble
Bracelet: 8 Dex, 25 Enhance Potion, 15 DCI, 15 HCI, 10 Fire
Powder of Fortification
Five (5) Pet Summoning Balls
Night's Kiss
Electric Gold Hair Dye
Essence of Battle Recipe
Resilient Bracers Recipe
Helm of Swiftness
Royal Guard Survival Knife (replica)

1/4/09:

Armor of Fortune
SoT - Taming 1.0
Two (2) Powders of Fortification

1/5/09
Breath of the Dead
Ecru Ring: 50 Enhance Potion, +15 Magery, 3 Faster Casting Recovery (still use it)
Forty (40) Different Threads (Thread of Fate, etc)
+60 Ancient Hammer

1/7/09
Large Dragon Ship (which in my notes had treasure)
Warfork: 44 Hit Fireball, 30 SSI, 40 Hit Lower Defense, 40 Damage Increase, UBWS

**NOTE** UWF started to notice that there was a problem with a thief....they obviously had some good ways of detecting it.

Waraxe: 42 Hit Magic Arrow, 30 SSI, 44 Hit Lower Attack, 40 Hit Lower Defense, 40 DI.....100% COLD Dmg
NightReaper
Helm of Insight

1/8/09
Three (3) Powers of Fortification
120 Magery Scroll
Swords of Prosperity
Brightsight Lenses
Two (2) Conjurer's Trinkets

1/12/09 (and might I add, steals from the SAME person)
Conjurer's trinket
Bow: 42 Hit Physical Area, 46 Hit Lightning, 16 HCI, 40 SSI, 40 DI
120 Archery

Had enough fun, made myself known, and that was that.

Don't worry, i'm always watching.

-Oblivion

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Yes, our guild mate Shockwave sold his account without telling us. You didn't sneak in, pal. Your toons were already guilded. You didn't steal, either - just PKed afk guildies with a cu and looted. Talented.

Just to keep the facts straight.

ohmyGED

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, our guild mate Shockwave sold his account without telling us. You didn't sneak in, pal. Your toons were already guilded. You didn't steal, either - just PKed afk guildies with a cu and looted. Talented.

LOL. Whatever makes you and the rest of UWF sleep better at night.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

LOL. Whatever makes you and the rest of UWF sleep better at night.
Hehe, you're just upset because we foiled your attempt on Shockwave 10 minutes ago. Listen, you are free to steal as you please, but it won't be as easy as before.

M

Mr. Gnome

Hmmm.....let me pull out my UWF log from back in January:

1/3/09:

Exilier
Alchemist Bauble
Bracelet: 8 Dex, 25 Enhance Potion, 15 DCI, 15 HCI, 10 Fire
Powder of Fortification
Five (5) Pet Summoning Balls
Night's Kiss
Electric Gold Hair Dye
Essence of Battle Recipe
Resilient Bracers Recipe
Helm of Swiftness
Royal Guard Survival Knife (replica)

1/4/09:

Armor of Fortune
SoT - Taming 1.0
Two (2) Powders of Fortification

1/5/09
Breath of the Dead
Ecru Ring: 50 Enhance Potion, +15 Magery, 3 Faster Casting Recovery (still use it)
Forty (40) Different Threads (Thread of Fate, etc)
+60 Ancient Hammer

1/7/09
Large Dragon Ship (which in my notes had treasure)
Warfork: 44 Hit Fireball, 30 SSI, 40 Hit Lower Defense, 40 Damage Increase, UBWS

**NOTE** UWF started to notice that there was a problem with a thief....they obviously had some good ways of detecting it.

Waraxe: 42 Hit Magic Arrow, 30 SSI, 44 Hit Lower Attack, 40 Hit Lower Defense, 40 DI.....100% COLD Dmg
NightReaper
Helm of Insight

1/8/09
Three (3) Powers of Fortification
120 Magery Scroll
Swords of Prosperity
Brightsight Lenses
Two (2) Conjurer's Trinkets

1/12/09 (and might I add, steals from the SAME person)
Conjurer's trinket
Bow: 42 Hit Physical Area, 46 Hit Lightning, 16 HCI, 40 SSI, 40 DI
120 Archery

Had enough fun, made myself known, and that was that.

Don't worry, i'm always watching.

-Oblivion
Get anything the last few months? lol

ohmyGED

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get anything the last few months? lol
About 500mil worth of stuff.....not to mention i'm still selling 2 "Ari" Robe of the Britannia, 2 Inquisitor's Resolution, 2 Valorite Hammers, Gladiator's Collar and an Armor of Fortune.

At Luna....give me a shout.

M

Mairut

I MISSED IT????!!! WTF! *cries*:sad4::sad4::sad4:
Lol.

I need to lay off the chicken egg farming some and chill in Luna more often...

S

Shinobi

I'll just go ahead and say it.

Yible was in Luna selling his very rare, unique event scroll titled "An Experimental Necromancy Scroll Marked: Vas Us Corp" since Monday night. A thief, who's name i'll keep from mentioning until someone inevitably blurts it out, decided to attempt to steal it. He joined the guild that Yible had joined the day before, ACEs. He ended up stealing the scroll from Yible while in ACEs. This was actually the thief's FIRST steal ever...pretty good first steal considering the scroll goes for at least 80mil, lol.

This thief wasn't in P0O yet, but he had been planning on joining when he was ready. I asked him how many members were in ACEs, since the UO guild search is broken and i can't check rosters. He said, as far as he could tell, there were at least 50 active members. I then decided to talk to them about the thief tax.

I met up with Epicone, who admitted he'd gladly pay the 1mil a month if it had been a day earlier. He kept telling me that the tax is worthless to his guild now that this scroll was stolen. For god knows how long, he was telling me "HOW COME YOU DIDN'T OFFER THE TAX TO US A DAY AGO?" I had to repeat myself 500000 times, saying that i cannot tell the future and had no idea the scroll was going to be stolen. This thief acted on his own accord, and stole an item for himself. I didn't send him into ACEs to get it, it was his own move, and a very good one.

Epicone was saying if the thief returns the scroll, he'd pay a year of the thief tax up front. First of all, as i told him countless times, i can't (and won't) ask this thief to return an item that he stole. Secondly, 80mil for the thief compared to 12mil for the guild...yeah not gonna happen.

So ACEs is pissed that i couldn't tell the future and foresee this steal coming. They were fine with paying the thief tax, but now that they've lost 80mil the thief tax is "useless" to them. This was BEFORE the thief tax was even implemented. Imagine what's gonna happen to them now that they've refused, lol.

I don't understand why guilds let their anger get in the way of common sense. Regardless, my original plan was that guilds would refuse to pay the taxes, giving us a reason to infiltrate them. I liked the guys in ACEs though, and was hoping i wouldn't have to send thieves in. Oh well.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Sometimes stealing is more about luck than skill.

*Goes back to cleaning up the trail of Rockport corpses at the Yew gate*