• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

They don't build them like they used to

F

Farscape

A boy has collapsed in a fit of convulsions after a 24-hour session on the computer game World of Warcraft.

The 15-year-old boy was playing the game with six of his friends at a house in western Sweden when he collapsed in front of the computer.

The apparent epileptic fit was blamed on a combination of factors — little sleep, lack of food and a prolonged period of intense concentration while playing on his computer, the Times of London reports.

The boy's father was quoted as saying he would now limit the amount of time his son spent on computer games.

The boy and his friends gathered at his house on Saturday to play a new version of the Warcraft series, titled 'Wrath of the Lich King'. The boy collapsed around 2pm the following day.

"They played all day and all night," the father said. "Maybe they got a few hours of sleep."

"They ate a little food and breakfast at their computers."

The release of the new version of Warcraft, a multi-player fantasy role-playing game, has prompted warnings from some psychologists about the dangers of addiction to online games. :love:

V

von Beck

Back when I was young I'd only collapse in a fit after 48-72 hours straight UO! What's wrong with these young'uns!

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The release of the new version of Warcraft, a multi-player fantasy role-playing game, has prompted warnings from some psychologists about the dangers of addiction to online games. :love:
I can quit any time I want to. *twitch* *twitch*

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, so only now does the father want to limit the amount of time he plays? Heck, I was limited to maybe 3 hours when I was young playing the original Nintendo. Best console ever :p

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heh...I got that kid beat...I endured 8 years of fits and convulsions...

called dial up :D

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why am I thinking of the South Park episode????

A

Astrel

This simply highlights the advantages of playing UO: some of the time it is not worth playing anyway, and when you do you always have the option of less adrenalin-related activities like shopping, cleaning up your stuff, or redesigning your house.

S

Starla

I have come across really strong players in UO who can do heartwood quests, fills BODs, train skills, farm resources and gold 24/7 without a break or fatigue. :p

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dang if they don't make parents the way they used to either :D I sure never got to pull an all nighter playing on the C64. Though that could also be partly down to dad wanting to play to see if he got a better score than me. In our house I was in bed on time, while dad stayed up till 4am even when we upgraded to the Amiga. And mum beat both of us on Jet Set Willy. Yep, they called a game Jet Set Willy.....

Them were the days when you needed endurance just to load the game, and when you had those wierd games mid way through loading the main game. Loading was an experience and *meant* something in them days.

*Wenchy shows her age, yet again* :D

Wenchy

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol...the good ol' days of 'Load "*",8,1'...

...and Jet Set Willy was addicting...very.

P

peanutbutter

I have come across really strong players in UO who can do heartwood quests, fills BODs, train skills, farm resources and gold 24/7 without a break or fatigue. :p
but they never seem to want to talk...

K

Katlene

man zig, your bringing back some memories there heh
we used to have this freeze disk (was a cartridge really with buttons) to help load things.

mission impossible was AWESOME... omg barbarian & wonderboy eep! and arkenoid

:lick:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There were a few mornings when I got up to find Terry fast asleep in the arm chair and godzilla laying waste to his Sim City on the tv screen.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone remember a console that you these plastic "screens" for the games that you taped to your TV screen? Someone gave one to us when I was 7 (That was back in the stoneage: ya know 1978). I loved to play it but I wasn't allowed to play for very long at a whack. It was also a butt to set up.

Then way later my sis got a TI 99/4A Computer. Man, we though it was hot stuff LMAO!! We were older like 12 and 8 I think, still limited on game play time. There were a couple of times my sister was found fast asleep with Mario dead and Donkey Kong doing his thing.

My sis's all night game-till-ya-drop sessions began with the arrival of the first PC in our house. She got in trouble for it too, lol. I believe the game that caused it was "The Bard's Tale". Now I'm grown and can game as long as I want to, but If I try to I usually end up with a nasty case of keyboard-face. :eek:

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My sis's all night game-till-ya-drop sessions began with the arrival of the first PC in our house. She got in trouble for it too, lol. I believe the game that caused it was "The Bard's Tale". Now I'm grown and can game as long as I want to, but If I try to I usually end up with a nasty case of keyboard-face. :eek:
Ahhh...Bard's Tale....I can still hear the bring around ballad playing on quiet nights....:D

C

Calibretto

A boy has collapsed in a fit of convulsions after a 24-hour session on the computer game World of Warcraft.

The 15-year-old boy was playing the game with six of his friends at a house in western Sweden when he collapsed in front of the computer.

The apparent epileptic fit was blamed on a combination of factors — little sleep, lack of food and a prolonged period of intense concentration while playing on his computer, the Times of London reports.

The boy's father was quoted as saying he would now limit the amount of time his son spent on computer games.

The boy and his friends gathered at his house on Saturday to play a new version of the Warcraft series, titled 'Wrath of the Lich King'. The boy collapsed around 2pm the following day.

"They played all day and all night," the father said. "Maybe they got a few hours of sleep."

What kind of father let's his son play games for 24hrs straight. That's whats wrong with the world today parents won't raise their own kids.

I

Inspector

Jeez I remember when factions first came out I think I did four days straight of UO... Kids these days....

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone remember a console that you these plastic "screens" for the games that you taped to your TV screen? Someone gave one to us when I was 7 (That was back in the stoneage: ya know 1978). I loved to play it but I wasn't allowed to play for very long at a whack. It was also a butt to set up.

Then way later my sis got a TI 99/4A Computer. Man, we though it was hot stuff LMAO!! We were older like 12 and 8 I think, still limited on game play time. There were a couple of times my sister was found fast asleep with Mario dead and Donkey Kong doing his thing.

hah. Bards tale was the shizzle. I played that series SO much on the old apple IIgs as a kid.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

link?

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Or you could type L shift+O "*",8,1 to save a couple keystrokes.

;-)

Ah, I used to love re-calibrating the drive heads of my 1541 when they got out of whack. Fortuneately the 1541-II was less of a problem.

L

love2winalot

hehehe, Remember when UO was in the first couple of years, and you would play for hours on end, and the server would go down, and when you logged back into the game, "You were not where you was before, but back where you originally logged in at", BECAUSE OF THE SHARD REVERT?

Do not come crying to me, until you play 24 hours straight, and have the shard revert after that, hehehehe:D

Kind of like playing a console RPG for hours, and forgetting to save before quitting..........

B

Beastmaster

Or you could type L shift+O "*",8,1 to save a couple keystrokes.

;-)

Ah, I used to love re-calibrating the drive heads of my 1541 when they got out of whack. Fortuneately the 1541-II was less of a problem.
What zigzag you don't recall the days when all you typed was "load"?

hint:make sure the tape was rewound first.

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What zigzag you don't recall the days when all you typed was "load"?

hint:make sure the tape was rewound first.
Yeah I had a cassette drive too...but the cool thing was to have them 5.25" floppy's :D

All I used my tape drive for was to scare my cat ;)

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Psh... Man up little man, I can pull 48 hours straight of Counter-Strike, you can play that kid's game WoW for a full day :p

B

Beastmaster

The cool thing was the hole punch used to convert SSDD to DDDD :p