• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The woes of being established.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sigh, first world Britannian problems here I'm sure, but...

Am I alone in not wanting to play an established account any more? I feel like I have no potential goals or roadblocks. It seems like my game play has boiled down to soloing champs and collecting hard to get items. It gets old fast.

I made an alt account some years ago that I play sometimes, that I never helped out with money or stuff (without paying), it's much more fun, and I would honestly much rather play that account.

That brings us to the house, and the junk. I really don't feel like keeping 2 accounts going, so whenever I feel like playing I always play the one with the house and the stuff, and the lack of things to do. I honestly would like to just permanently deactivate the Ikichet account, and only play the other one when I feel like playing... it's just I still can't bring myself to just let that 15+ years worth of stuff (much of it irreplaceable) and character development go. Selling it won't help (having too much is the problem), and giving the stuff I couldn't give up to my alt account seems like it would make that account less fun to play.

I know the right answer here is just let the house and everything in it drop, but even with my interest in UO at an all time low, I just don't think I could. Even dismantling it for storage would be a depressing chore, as it's been like it is, where it is, for such a long time (10+ years). I fear it would permanently sever my interest, even in my alt account seeing it all lost.

I wish I could just mothball it all in a portable moving crate, and close the account.

Am I alone here? Any thoughts? I dunno, just venting I guess.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pick the most important stuff and mothball it in your chars backpack and your bank account. Give away the rest of it and play the other account. That's how I do it when I have breaks. Seriously, mothballing 100 items should be enough to give your heart a rest, not? Or just let the account open and ignore it ;)

If you got jewelry for my museum, I will help you to get rid of it ;)

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you are not alone. i am going thru a similar stage as we speak. i have been selling stuff off piece by piece and i got to tell you it is SOOOOOOOOOOO slow and painful. i do not want to do auctions. but there is simply no point what so ever to keep all the stuff i have in chests, locked away for noone else to use. how much stuff does one really need? i have no intentions of quiting but i am looking for a way to make the game fun so i to am adjusting my focus into different avenues on siege. like you said, i also have so favorite items that i will not just sell but they are things i truly enjoy and will remain with me until the end.

one thing that may help you is to ask yourself this question, if the UO gods came to you and said, "you can keep 4 and only 4 items out of everything you own, what would they be?" i have done that, i know what they are, and those WILL stay with me. from that point everything else i have painstakingly collected over the years i could let go without batting an eye. the truth of the matter is noone, well very few rather, even consider selling or trading, i hate to see you lock up all your goods on an account and close it. so many items on siege have already been lost like this. i dont want want to see you give these items to people who dont appriciate them for what they are or understand the history and value its worth to siege.

i will point part of the blame of this on soulstones. i have mentioned this before. once you train a skill you can just stone it and go back and retrieve the skill whenever you want. if you could only keep one template, what would it be? i am not sure how well your second account is trained but that may be a way of looking at it. if you have one template, you HAVE to rely on other people for help. you have to seek others for support. you would no longer have the luxury of going into your bag of skills and selecting what you need for convience. you would need to become more sociable. guilds become more of a pillar to you. nitche skills sets become a preminum. i wish they had a "trade in" for souldstones(for skills trained up) IE: 10 fully trained soulstones can give you a pet dying potion or receipe to craft a pair of two story statues(server birth graphic). im not sayn the devs would have to give us a heads up but just say hey look, here is an option for siege. id trade in at least 40 soulstones for some of those unique offerings. i can only imagine if the UO gods said to me, "select up to 7 and only 7 skills to use for your template for the rest of your UO days and thats what you will become." i know what skills i would select...........and similar to my rares collection thats whats what i would be.

i guess i dont really have an answer for you. i am just in a similar boat and hijacking your post to vent and also to let you know you are not alone. i love how you like to collect books. if i were you i would keep them, give it to your second account and make a library. the deco and customizing will keep you busy for quite awhile. select maybe 3 or 4 other items(if you wish) that you "LOVE" and keep them. IMO that will not hurt your gameplay. its the choice you have to make between playn the two accounts thats the problem. as far as the rest, donate them, auction them, give them away at random. personally i would sell them for UO gold, but i know thats not the point of getn rid of them for you, so you and i differ alittle there.

good luck to you though, i hope your decision is not one to quit. i hate to see vet players leave, it always marks an end of an era. i hope you can find it inside of you to readjust and evolve with UO. it is always changing so we cant just keep doing the same thing. we have to move forward. in which direction........thats up to you

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i hate to see you lock up all your goods on an account and close it. so many items on siege have already been lost like this.
Oh me either really. It's super selfish. I know there are people out there who would enjoy my garbage, but I keep it to myself for no real reason other than nostalgia.

good luck to you though, i hope your decision is not one to quit. i hate to see vet players leave, it always marks an end of an era. i hope you can find it inside of you to readjust and evolve with UO. it is always changing so we cant just keep doing the same thing. we have to move forward. in which direction........thats up to you
Honestly I really quit years ago. I've just been paying to keep my house up, and when I get the occasional itch, that lasts a week or two, I just log in until I get bored.

As for your 4 items question... hmmm. I really don't know. The thing I would be most bummed about losing would be my rubble plants, but there are dozens of them. Making a nice looking lawn without them seems impossible to me now. I'd hate to lose my named halloween skeleton collection, but the rest, I really don't care too much about.

Really the only thing I can see myself doing is a) just letting it all go cold turkey or b) keep going as I have been. I've tried to "pack up" before, but gave in quickly after because it depressed me dismantling my meticulously decorated house. Oh well who knows what will happen. Maybe i'll flip a coin. :p

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can totally feel your pain. I was at the exact same point years ago, when I quit for the first time. I had a castle filled with loot and ressources and I had a fully developped character. What made me quit back in the day was the way UO had changed around me. It had become optional to be with a good group since people could solo high end content and weren't forced to rely on others anymore. Soulstones added to that. I was still stuck in the gameplay of the years prior to that to adapt. So I packed up everything I thought I really needed into my bank, my backpack and my giant beetle, sold the castle for gold and quit.
A little more than two years ago I felt the itch again and came back with one of the RtBs and started to catch up on all the changes and new abilities the game offered. It took me about until now to reach another plateau, where I would catch myself being bored with the game again. After a while I was able to talk two former guildmates into making a come back. With my help they quickly adapted and built their characters and I realized that even though the game is playable as a solo player it still is much more fun to do so with friends. Unfortunately both friends took a break about a month ago to play different games but I still hope they'll be back.
Anyways, what I'm saying is: your established and have reached every goal you wanted to reach by yourself. How about you try to recruit some people and introduce them to Siege. Let them capitalize on your knowledge and find new friends. This will keep you occupied for at least 3 months, if not longer. Set goals for your guild that will not be reached easily. Like: we want to be a guild of RP-ratmen and still be a successful PvP guild, or control the market of powerscrolls etc.
I know you're working night shifts and thus won't be around during "normal" US hours. Don't let this bother you. Find out what part of the world is active around your time and play with those people. Most people who play UO have good enough English to understand them and be understood by them.
The problem with leading a guild is it will eat lots of your play time. But who knows, maybe you'll find it enjoyable. Usually you'll end up with at least one or two people who will quickly turn out to be natural leaders themselves and they will end up helping you with running your guild.

You might even want to try this with your other character that is not established to put you on the same level as your new guildmates. You don't have to keep your other account payed for all the time. You could just reactivate it for a month every now and then to keep the house from falling (not sure how many days you can be inactive and of course there's a risk involved...)

I dunno...maybe one of these ideas appeals to you...maybe not. It would be sad to loose you though!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can totally feel your pain. I was at the exact same point years ago, when I quit for the first time. I had a castle filled with loot and ressources and I had a fully developped character. What made me quit back in the day was the way UO had changed around me. It had become optional to be with a good group since people could solo high end content and weren't forced to rely on others anymore. Soulstones added to that. I was still stuck in the gameplay of the years prior to that to adapt. So I packed up everything I thought I really needed into my bank, my backpack and my giant beetle, sold the castle for gold and quit.
A little more than two years ago I felt the itch again and came back with one of the RtBs and started to catch up on all the changes and new abilities the game offered. It took me about until now to reach another plateau, where I would catch myself being bored with the game again. After a while I was able to talk two former guildmates into making a come back. With my help they quickly adapted and built their characters and I realized that even though the game is playable as a solo player it still is much more fun to do so with friends. Unfortunately both friends took a break about a month ago to play different games but I still hope they'll be back.
Anyways, what I'm saying is: your established and have reached every goal you wanted to reach by yourself. How about you try to recruit some people and introduce them to Siege. Let them capitalize on your knowledge and find new friends. This will keep you occupied for at least 3 months, if not longer. Set goals for your guild that will not be reached easily. Like: we want to be a guild of RP-ratmen and still be a successful PvP guild, or control the market of powerscrolls etc.
I know you're working night shifts and thus won't be around during "normal" US hours. Don't let this bother you. Find out what part of the world is active around your time and play with those people. Most people who play UO have good enough English to understand them and be understood by them.
The problem with leading a guild is it will eat lots of your play time. But who knows, maybe you'll find it enjoyable. Usually you'll end up with at least one or two people who will quickly turn out to be natural leaders themselves and they will end up helping you with running your guild.

You might even want to try this with your other character that is not established to put you on the same level as your new guildmates. You don't have to keep your other account payed for all the time. You could just reactivate it for a month every now and then to keep the house from falling (not sure how many days you can be inactive and of course there's a risk involved...)

I dunno...maybe one of these ideas appeals to you...maybe not. It would be sad to loose you though!
I did the guild leader thing back on LS in like 98-2000. Had 30ish people at peak. I absolutely hated it hehe. People were so needy and I was so unnurturing. Eventually I just kicked out everyone but my IRL friends and the few quality guildies left it fluctuating around 10 people, and from that point it run itself. Eventually everyone quit, and I moved to siege. The only guild I was ever in on siege was Girls Gone Wild, which was like 3 or 4 people, and kind of a joke guild, but fun. :p I thought about joining a guild with my alt (who is a secret!) and I still might do that.

Anyway, at this stage of my life I really don't want to sink more than a casual amount of time into playing any more. I already spend (by my personal estimation) too much time playing video games. Just want to feel like I can log on and have something to do when I do.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well in that case you should really join an active guild. It makes an enormous difference to see people online in the guild menu or guildchat. General chat can be so deceiving. The other day I accidentally ran into GIL doing a spawn with at least 8 people and only 10 minutes later I found another group of 4 people hunting together. GC had been quiet all day though (for obvious reasons).
Loging on and actually finding people makes all the difference...

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the way, I have that problem on Drachenfels. I got billions in my vendors, literally. But nothing to spend the money on. Economy is destroyed by shards transfers, no vendors... Making fresh start is always nice. Siege revitalized me.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think you need to revive NEW - give you a new purpose in life!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Remember moth balling an account is easier now. Gold takes no room. Fill yer bank, a beetle and some in yer backpack. Choose and sell or store vet rewards.

Gift, sell and donate the really cool stuff. Remember gold takes no room in yer bank. Let the rest fall.

Do whatever it takes to make the game fun for you again. The stuff? It is just pixels and could be turned off tomorrow.

I hope I see you around.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I think you need to revive NEW - give you a new purpose in life!
Even when some believe we still need a NEW guild, it's a full times job if done right, it's not the choice, if you want freedom to choose when to play and new Siege players will do fine in guilds like GIL and TDO, depending where they fit. There will be a lot members to take them at hunts and give them advices.

You could join TDO, our rules are easy unless you want to make a lot enemies from not so honorable playstyle. We do not tell you when to play, we do not demand you hang out with guild members, if you just want do stuff alone, it os ok.

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
any chance you have a trusted friend that does not play siege? they could hold your siege house as is, until you got the urge to reactivate that account..

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
If you quit, bank everything. If you have a house on Siege and hate to see it drop then sell it or give it away. (hint) Kimi Mori is always looking for that Princess Castle ;) J/K. A friend could take over for you as suggestion above. What ever you decide, you know that Siege will welcome you back with open arms and knifes to cut the purse strings ;)