• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The "tactics" of stealing

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I'm hoping that one or more of you can help me out with my thief and her "newfound" adventures, that of stealing from Champion spawn monsters.

What I mean is, immediatly AFTER the theft what tactics do you use to "get away"? Do you: Immediatly try to drink an invis potion? Do you immediatly try an "area peace"? Do you drop a Greater Confusion Blast Potion?

What methods do you use to "get away" with it?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Hit animal form (llama, or even better, wolf) and run.

M

Mairut

Hit animal form (llama, or even better, wolf) and run.
I always thought it was better to start running and then cast animal form, but it works the same.

For anyone who doesn't know... You're toon doesn't stop to cast animal form.

Always have llama form or wolf form preset before you go "adventuring".

Meaning, change into the animal you want to be in after you make the steal. You can change back to human if you want (so you can recall to the entrance of a spawn or whatever). When you steal an item (remember, you have to be human to do this... unless you're using ferret but ferrets don't run fast and you need a fast one preset)... Anyways... steal and start running and hit your animal form macro. Or hit your macro and start running. You will change into whichever form you had preset, and the neat thing is, your toon doesn't stop to cast. You're running, and then you're running faster in animal form.

It also works if you're just walking.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought it was better to start running and then cast animal form, but it works the same.

For anyone who doesn't know... You're toon doesn't stop to cast animal form.

Always have llama form or wolf form preset before you go "adventuring".

Meaning, change into the animal you want to be in after you make the steal. You can change back to human if you want (so you can recall to the entrance of a spawn or whatever). When you steal an item (remember, you have to be human to do this... unless you're using ferret but ferrets don't run fast and you need a fast one preset)... Anyways... steal and start running and hit your animal form macro. Or hit your macro and start running. You will change into whichever form you had preset, and the neat thing is, your toon doesn't stop to cast. You're running, and then you're running faster in animal form.

It also works if you're just walking.
Wow, Mairut, the things you can learn after playing for years and years... I've never played a Ninja char and don't know anything about doing that. I'm training one now tho, cause it sounds like fun... Hhehehehe, a new adventure, i love it...
:)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
That's what I meant. Like you say, you don't freeze when you cast ninja spells, so you can cast it on the fly. :thumbup1:

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I kill what I stole from then move on looking for the next target.

But then again I don't generally steal while a spawn is active.

Quenchant

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your stealing from something that moves really fast, the confusion blast before you start running works too. You won't usually need one, but I always have a couple with me and they are set on a macro with the target set on my char.

Ninja animal forms are the perfect compliment for thieving

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer fel dungeons to champspawns, it's quieter. I use an earth or water ele to run interference, pick pockets while the monster is occupied with my summoned side-kick, then help the ele finish it off (or heal the ele, whichever is appropriate)

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your stealing from something that moves really fast, the confusion blast before you start running works too. You won't usually need one, but I always have a couple with me and they are set on a macro with the target set on my char.

Ninja animal forms are the perfect compliment for thieving
Great info, Quenchant.... thx. Workin on my ninja/thief now...

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer fel dungeons to champspawns, it's quieter. I use an earth or water ele to run interference, pick pockets while the monster is occupied with my summoned side-kick, then help the ele finish it off (or heal the ele, whichever is appropriate)
Very interesting, Petra... Since you use ele's as "interference", I assume your thief runs with high magery. What's his/her template if I might ask?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
her template owes quite a lot to her suit and equipment I have to say. Here's the details:
suit: mi 7, sr 2, mr 1 lmc 7 lrc 18 x 5 pieces + cursed dancers.
Jewels: bracelet & ring identical; mage 15, stealth 13, ninjitsu 13, stealing 10 lrc 5.
Tome of lost knowledge.

Stealing 120.0 (100.0 real)
Stealth 115.0 (80.0 real)
Magery 110.0 (65.0 real)
Detecting Hidden 100.0
Hiding 100.0
Lockpicking 100.0
Ninjitsu 100.0 (75.0 real)
Remove Trap 100.0

Not a very orthodox template, but I have fun with her, and that's the main reason for playing after all. :)

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
her template owes quite a lot to her suit and equipment I have to say. Here's the details:
suit: mi 7, sr 2, mr 1 lmc 7 lrc 18 x 5 pieces + cursed dancers.
Jewels: bracelet & ring identical; mage 15, stealth 13, ninjitsu 13, stealing 10 lrc 5.
Tome of lost knowledge.

Stealing 120.0 (100.0 real)
Stealth 115.0 (80.0 real)
Magery 110.0 (65.0 real)
Detecting Hidden 100.0
Hiding 100.0
Lockpicking 100.0
Ninjitsu 100.0 (75.0 real)
Remove Trap 100.0

Not a very orthodox template, but I have fun with her, and that's the main reason for playing after all. :)
Thanks for posting that, Petra... It does lead me to more questions, tho. Such as, when you are "monster stealing" surely you don't leave the Remove Trap, Detecting Hidden and Lockpicking on - do you? Seems like this template is more for Treasure Hunting where you need those skills.
:confused:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I loathe soulstones with a passion. My char has the skills she has. She doesn't 'forget' them and put them in a closet like a winter coat.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I loathe soulstones with a passion. My char has the skills she has. She doesn't 'forget' them and put them in a closet like a winter coat.
Uh, I think I'm sorry I asked, Petra...
Peace :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe, oh no, nothing against you, and no anger meant in my reply. Just my personal feelings about that one object in game. I fully appreciate how useful other people find them. They just don't fit my idea of what my characters should be.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have UOA, there's a tactic that I use:

Macro:
1) Cast invis
2) Use stealing
3) Last target
4) Target self

So I'd stealth over next to whatever I want to steal, prime it as my last target (using a dagger), hit macro.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have UOA, there's a tactic that I use:

Macro:
1) Cast invis
2) Use stealing
3) Last target
4) Target self

So I'd stealth over next to whatever I want to steal, prime it as my last target (using a dagger), hit macro.
Dam, the things I never tried.... sometimes I just p*ss myself off. I never thought to cast - use skill - complete cast before. Supposed that I would get a "you are busy" message... Awesome, that will sure work...

Thx Harlequin, appreciate the "secret"...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never thought to stack them that way either. I currently have 2 seperate macros I'll try it. I have a tendency to forget I'm only invised though and suddenly find myself unexpectedly visible. I have a macro for statics stealing that casts invis on myself, waits for a while and then hides.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dam, the things I never tried.... sometimes I just p*ss myself off. I never thought to cast - use skill - complete cast before. Supposed that I would get a "you are busy" message... Awesome, that will sure work...

Thx Harlequin, appreciate the "secret"...
You are welcome ^_^

I have many secrets to share! Ermmm...as long as I remember them...I'm quite forgetful sometimes.

And like Petra, I'd forgotten that I was invis'ed and not hidden many times. Most embarrassing moment was at a fel spawn. Happily stealthing around and laughing at the reds run past without noticing me, watching them on my wife's screen while she escapes. Then my invis timed out and I didn't realize it until it was too late...doh...