• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The stock Sampire weapon

D

davebobbit

I've only just got back into UO after a while off and have now trained an imbuing character.

I am guessing that the bog standard Sampire weapon now contains the following Mods (i think they can all be maxed right?):

SSI
HML
HSL
HLA
DI

I mostly use the radiant scimitar as it has the highest damage per second along with the rune blade, but also has whirlwind attack.

I was just wondering if this is pretty much all people use for general all purpose slaying, or do any of you have any creative modifications?

I guess swapping something out for a particular slayer works, say if you're going to doom. I tried swapping SSI for Hit Physical Area figuring I could get extra damage on the dread horn with the physical spell, but it had absolutely zero effect - although it did have the added bonus of swinging less often so not all bad!! ;)

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The following mods are required for a standard sampire:

SSI
DI
HML
HSL

The final mod is where you can add variation. I agree HLA is the standard, but slayers, hit spell, and hit area all have their uses. Also, you can scale SSI depending on base weapon speed. I have a tessen (2s base speed) I use for my mace fighter with DI, HML, HSL, HLA, and HLD (I don't have M&S glasses). It doesn't work in every situation but in some cases it works very well.

-OBSIDIAN-

C

Connor_Graham

The daisho and ornate axe are also used for swords weapons. The daisho is primarily used for the Feint special while the ornate axe is good for those things that you can kill quickly.

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still like my mace Weapon! not a diamond mace but still good :) And yes its made by That SupSoc!

Attachments

J

[JD]

i would argue DI might be a wasted mod slot - you can attain 95 DI through jewels, stormgrip, and talisman. if you can wear wood you can easily regain that 5 DI too.

im looking at such a configuration for myself

on my leafblade*** i could put:

SSI 20 (all thats needed for me to hit cap)
Hit Mana Leech 44
Hit Stamina Leech 44
Hit Lower Attack 44

But what would you put in the last slot given that you're already wearing Mace and Shield?

Or would you wear Spirit of Totem, and put HLD on the weapon? or wear M&S and have HLD on the weapon?

***This is only 322 weight thus far so there should be no problem using a non exceptional weapon so you don't end up wasting a mod slot for DI, which should not be necessary given that you can aquire it through other means.

S

Stupid Miner

i would argue DI might be a wasted mod slot - you can attain 95 DI through jewels, stormgrip, and talisman. if you can wear wood you can easily regain that 5 DI too.

im looking at such a configuration for myself

on my leafblade*** i could put:

Hit Mana Leech 44
Hit Stamina Leech 44
Hit Lower Attack 44

But what would you put in the last slot given that you're already wearing Mace and Shield?

Or would you wear Spirit of Totem, and put HLD on the weapon? or wear M&S and have HLD on the weapon?

***This is only 322 weight thus far so there should be no problem using a non exceptional weapon so you don't end up wasting a mod slot for DI, which should not be necessary given that you can aquire it through other means.
A hit spell?
Ability to take off DI is much more interesting for a WW weapon with both Hit area and Hit spell.
Or a slayer with a hit area (champ spawns) or HLA.

Or UBWS

J

[JD]

Here is where I am going with this.

I am simply in love with the Black Staff. They cannot be crafted so they can only be non-exceptional. Buy them from a provisioner for 15 gold, or perhaps you will get lucky and find one with elemental damage as a monster drop...

They do tremendous DPS. As a Whirlwind weapon they are one of the top damagers, plus they require next to no SSI (20 only) to catapult them to cap speed. Plus they have a para blow 2nd special. Could anything be more rad-tastic? To me they are not the top-end for WW, however, they do seem a vicious contender for "best bang for the buck".

I’m macing spec now, If I stay that way I can go (Wearing Mace and Shield of course!):

Leafblade:

UBWS
Hit Mana Leech 44
Hit Stamina Leech 44
Hit Lower Attack 44

Black Staff:

Hit Mana Leech 44
Hit Stamina Leech 44
Hit Lower Attack 44
Hit Area 44

If I however go Fencing I’d be looking at:

Leafblade:

Hit Mana Leech 44
Hit Stamina Leech 44
Hit Lower Attack 44
(Slayer/Hit Spell)

Black Staff:

UBWS
Hit Mana Leech 44
Hit Lower Attack 44
Hit Area 44

I would lose my stamina leech….. so I agree, losing DI seems more important for a Whirlwind weapon.

The fly in the ointment seems to be I don’t understand how slayers work. Here is what I understand:

You can only do 300% damage.

You gain 100% from your weapon, and 100% from DI.

But where do you gain the remaining 100% - from a slayer only? Or do you gain it from Bushido or is there somewhere else you could gain it?

Thanks, this will help me decide if a slayer on the leafblade for bosses is more important than either HSL or HLA for champ spawn.

Note: I can also remove either HSL or HLA from the WW weap and add slayer if I stay macing as well.

C

Connor_Graham

You gain 100% from your weapon, and 100% from DI.
This statement doesn't make sense. The only way to gain 100% from a weapon is by using a slayer. Add that to 100% DI from items and you're left with the final 100% coming from EoO or Perfection with Honor. To reach 300% without a slayer you have to have 100% DI from items, EoO, and Perfection.

S

Stupid Miner

... It's the annoying way how percentages work. Your plain damage is doing 100% damage. You can get up to 300% damage... +100% with a slayer, and another +100% with perfection. 300%.

J

[JD]

Ok so I'm just really confused how I would obtain 300% damage. Here is what I was assuming

Let's say I'm using a weapon, and I do 50 damage to something.

I have 100% DI, so then that 50 becomes 100 damage (it doubles - 200%)

If I understand you correctly, to make it 150 damage (gain the last 100% and make it 300%), I may either:

1) Use a slayer
2) Use Enemy of One with Perfection

I would then do 150 damage instead of the 50 base damage.

Is this correct? How reliable would EOO and Perfection be? Or would it be better off to do slayers.

Thanks

S

Stupid Miner

Triple damage = 300% damage = 200% Damage Increase

Ways to get there:

- Single Creature Slayer, done. (seems too simple)
- Super Slayer + Perfection.
- Super Slayer + 100% DI
- Super Slayer + 50 DI + EoO

- Perfection + 100% DI
- Perfection + 50% DI + EoO

Plenty more ways, just examples.

Tip:
- Never, *ever* use EoO with multiple tough enemy types.
- If you do use EoO with multiple enemies, make SURE you have the EoO on the Heavy-hitter of the group.

dlwiii

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And don't forget that with Lighnint Strike at 120 Bushido, you get a 20 chance to make a critical hit which (as far as I have seen) gets you 3x your base damage.

S

Stupid Miner

And don't forget that with Lighnint Strike at 120 Bushido, you get a 20 chance to make a critical hit which (as far as I have seen) gets you 3x your base damage.
No. It doesn't increase your damage, it ignores your opponent's resists.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
About the only thing I would consider "stock" on the weapons I use, is the HML, HSL and Damage Inc, as damage comes with an exep. weapon.

The other 2 mods are really dependant on the weapon. I use 4 different (swords) weapons depending on what I am fighting. Some will get a Slayer or Super Slayer property, some Swing Speed, some Spell channeling, and others HLL.

I use Radiants, like everyone does for the WW, Then I use either a Daishio, Double Axe, or Bladed Staff, depending on the fight. I chose those weapons for thier special moves in PvM. I know a lot of guys run with the runeblade and Ornate Axes, I just found thier specials not as usefull in PvM.

S

Stupid Miner

About the only thing I would consider "stock" on the weapons I use, is the HML, HSL and Damage Inc, as damage comes with an exep. weapon.

The other 2 mods are really dependant on the weapon. I use 4 different (swords) weapons depending on what I am fighting. Some will get a Slayer or Super Slayer property, some Swing Speed, some Spell channeling, and others HLL.

I use Radiants, like everyone does for the WW, Then I use either a Daishio, Double Axe, or Bladed Staff, depending on the fight. I chose those weapons for thier special moves in PvM. I know a lot of guys run with the runeblade and Ornate Axes, I just found thier specials not as usefull in PvM.
It gets really fun when you have at or close to 100% DI from Non-weapon pieces. +50 from jewelry, +20 from Trinket, and the rest from Heartwood armor, or some other piece with DI.
Currently loving my:
34 SL
40% Harm
44% Cold Area
55 ML
30 SSI
Double axe :)

Can put about 30 HLA on my Slayers too. :D

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It gets really fun when you have at or close to 100% DI from Non-weapon pieces. +50 from jewelry, +20 from Trinket, and the rest from Heartwood armor, or some other piece with DI.
Currently loving my:
34 SL
40% Harm
44% Cold Area
55 ML
30 SSI
Double axe :)

Can put about 30 HLA on my Slayers too. :D
Is it wirlwind aswell [cant look right now]? thats would be a nice 3 hit per critter weapon.

EDIT** Oh and how do you get your sig centered?

Thunderz

S

Stupid Miner

Is it wirlwind aswell [cant look right now]? thats would be a nice 3 hit per critter weapon.

EDIT** Oh and how do you get your sig centered?

Thunderz
Yea, it's a WW weapon.

Just type [:)center][/center:)]
... those smiley faces are so that the post doesn't convert the code into actual code, cause that'd just look like blank (but centered) text