• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The state of UO, and a suggestion to the Devs

P

Phaheela

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO IT!!!!!!!!
Seriously Draconi... this topic practically comes up twice a day. Please do pass along that a lot of us old timers want it. I would think it would be so much cheaper to entertain us really old players with a classic shard or T2A shard than to create all new content that a lot of people end up complaining about. ;)
It would prob end up the shard with the highest player base also since most newcomers to the game since AOS hardly stick around for long.

B

BloodstoneGL

It would prob end up the shard with the highest player base also since most newcomers to the game since AOS hardly stick around for long.
Most definitely. I 100% believe without a shadow of a doubt it would be the busiest shard, a cash cow for Mythic with the influx of new accounts or reactivated old accounts, and a complete success that does not need anything more done to it after it is up and running. WIN WIN WIN.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, I'm sure a big tough PvP thief manly man can take some forum joshing. I'm not worried about it (unless I hurt his feelings, of course).
I woudn't worry about it even then. I find it annoying as it gets....it's like I'm forced to read the la and it makes me mad everytime. :mad:
What's worse? Now that I am a mod...you can't put me on ignore...muhahahahahahaha...la

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was a hot button issue right before UO:R came out. I cannot take credit for the idea...although I espoused it back then and still do.

It really was the lack of consequences for players actions that led to Trammel.

Ask any old school red, if you can still find one, if they would have preferred my solutions posted above...or the Fel/Tram split. Most will tell you, if they didn't just quit, that UO is nothing like what it was back then, and not in a good way.

The constant struggle of good vs. evil, blue vs. red, added a diminsion to the game that cannot be simulated or recreated through any artificial mechanisms. It actually relied on the individual's sense of community, morality, and even their ability to play a character, rather than just a game.

We will likely never see another game like it that lasts. I know all about Darkfall, but they are setting themselves up to fail because they are not learning from the mistakes that UO made up front...no consequences.
I'm an "oldschool red" and I would take Trammel over your ideas.

Reds were phased out long long ago with the noto system. After that you only saw gank squads because the consequences WERE HIGH.

We wan't a classic shard to PvP/guild war. Not to be red and pk miners. At this point UO:R is classic compared to the mess now.

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will admit, straight off, to having only skimmed this thread; some of the posters are actually on my ignore list, thus making it harder. It appears, however, to be another "classic shard" thread.

Wanted to quickly shoot off the following points.

1. Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread for proving the point I attempted to make in this other thread.

2. Those of you who want any kind of pre-AoS shard....You also want to re-visit, I take it, the elusive "zero spell damage" bug? Only thing that "fixed" this was the introduction of the new AoS damage system?

3. Or how about the pain-in-the-ass two damage system wherein a player's damage would be calculated in two different ways, one against monsters and one against other players? I remember reading at the time about what a pain this one was for them to maintain.

4. 100,000 + 7,000 = 107,000. Not that much difference. And that's assuming every single one of the people alleged to currently play this game for for free suddenly decides to pay for it, and that's extremely doubtful. And assuming they stick around once they realize that they also have to deal with the zero spell damage bug.

5. 100,000 = 400 = 100,400. This is an even smaller difference.

6. Neither 400 nor 7,000 players is worth the introduction of a new shard that will require maintenance, and yes it will require maintenance. (Siege has.)

7. For those of you who think that generally the game was more challenging before AoS, recall the stories of someone who would start fighting a demon, hit a bandage self macro, then minimize the window, come back in a moment, and find the demon dead and himself at half health.

8. Everyone please remember that one of the reasons AoS happened, the devs at the time stated clearly, was that there was a preference in the PvP community for player actions determining more of the outcome.

9. Anyone remember when special moves were automatic and required no mana? Deadly Poisoned katanas? The comparative usefulness of fencing weapons versus swords weapons?

10. What about pre-Healing skill, when every template had a little magery? Did you want the shard to be pre- or post-Healing skill?

11. What about when bandages were 1 weight unit each, and it was hard to carry around more than a few of them for any appreciable period of time, assuming you also wanted to loot things?

12. And I haven't even gotten into the bank box exploiting PKs roaming the countryside, able to bank your stuff through the use of exploits before you had any kind of chance to get rezzed and come back to try and take it.

13. Pre-pet control slots? When tamers could walk around with, say, 8 nightmares or 4 white wyrms?

14. Did you want the shard to be pre-big archery nerf or post-big archery nerf?

15. Anyone remember the one-hit-killing Heavy Crossbows of Vanquishing? Oh yes, one-hit-kills happened pre-AoS, pre-runics, pre-Trammel, pre-power scrolls.

A lot of people have stopped reading by now so I'll stop writing.

For those of you who are still with me, know that these threads are ultimately not about reality at all, and thus neither this post nor any other post along similar lines will matter in the slightest. I have posted this not for regular readers of or posters in this thread (or the dozens like it), but for the UO team, and for any post-Trammel readers who might buy into the romantic-sounding statements made about the old days.....Statements which bear little relation to reality.

-Galen's player
I disagree with most of those, some are just weak arguments but #15...

You're forgetting that a vanq-xbow was like winning the lottery. It never left ones bank unless it was used in a private duel. On a open field that player was either disarmed and robbed or ganked instantly.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You're forgetting that a vanq-xbow was like winning the lottery. It never left ones bank unless it was used in a private duel. On a open field that player was either disarmed and robbed or ganked instantly.
Nice try I guess?

I remember a couple of them on LS. Used to hit people mostly around the Minoc Mines. One of the now-former dev team members (Sannio I think?) used to be an infamous PKer in the Dungeon Despise, one-hit-killing people with a Heavy Crossbow of Vanquishing. (I forget the shard.)

These kinds of players typically have lots of friends. Ganking was, and is, rarely going to be an issue. It was something they did more often than something that was done to them.

It has always been easier to get people together on the basis of doing bad than it is on doing good. PKs thus always had, and continue to have, an easier time grouping up than anti-PKs did.

One of the worst parts about Trammel, actually, is the way it's enabled strange, rose-colored memories of how things were before it was created.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right, if UO had a classic server, we would *have* to exclude expansion content and ongoing content from the normal shards. This would be massively different than how we handle Siege and Mugen, for example. (I wouldn't rule out a separate and involved set of content fitting in-line with that shard, however).

Now, admittedly, I'm a personal believer in the T2A expansion for a classic shard. It felt like a real add-on to the original game, and not a replacement or "update."
Oh, D....Your merely posting in this thread is going to cause these "discussions" to go on, and on, and on......*sighs*

Your post does, however, illustrate the point I was trying to make in this thread:

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=118437

which is that the time period selected for a "classic" shard is arbitrary, and an individual decision. Any time period you select will cause for calls for another shard to be created reflecting yet another time period that was supposedly a golden age for the game.

Oh, and while you're at it, fix all the bugs from that time period....Also fix the massive lag spikes that existed then....Hey, could you create a classic shard from the time period when LS was so laggy it was so unplayable that you gave LS players a free month?

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a heavy suspicion that those with the rosiest shaded memories were the PK's themselves. Oh they might have fought other PvP'ers occasionally at Brit GY or Yew but.... seriously, if you thought rampant griefing was not a problem before Trammel, you were either doing the griefing or not playing.

"I don't like someone hit me " okay, call that a whine.

"Thousands of us are tired of being camped everytime we leave town and losing all our stuff" is not a whine. It's an open ruleset being abused by some very immature, selfish players. Who then ruined their freedom for themselves.

P.S. Galen I disagree... I think despite the fact that some players are newer and wouldn't see the appeal of something pre-AoS or pre-SE, a VERY large number want T2a or earlier. To act like everyone would just make up some different period they'd want to play in equal numbers, so it would be pointless, is being a little obtuse.

A

AesSedai

- If UO were to put a classic shard or three in at this time, it would make me think of the Fonz jumping the shark...
however, if UO's available resources were somehow able to be doubled or more at the same time, then I wouldn't consider it as much of a 'last ditch effort'.

I'd much rather see some cataclysmic event come and wash away all of the AoS items (& even ~90% of all gold, so it doesn't seem so daunting for a new player), if that would make the game more managable and perhaps more enjoyable for the average players.
I'm just of the school of thought that UO should evolve as one (even if the evolution sometimes requires taking a few steps back in some areas) rather than be fractured into multiple specialty shards; if for no other reason than for more efficient maintenance, which should allow more overall improvements until resources are no longer finitely available (which hasn't happened to UO yet, afaik).

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well anytime we talk about a change a ton of us would like, it's always "noooooooo, people would have a cow you are taking away their bushido/epic weapon/GD, they'll quit!"

One classic shard would not strain UO beyond capacity for maintenance and such, seriously. Try some bigger MMO's. They handle a lot more specialization and ruleset choices than are presently available in UO. And even with less lag and more stability and less server downtime in many cases. ;)

My first thought, upon coming back (I was gone and totally missed AoS and after, up until a month ago) was what the heck is up with the gear. If I wanted to play Diablo 2, it's free. Seriously.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a heavy suspicion that those with the rosiest shaded memories were the PK's themselves. Oh they might have fought other PvP'ers occasionally at Brit GY or Yew but.... seriously, if you thought rampant griefing was not a problem before Trammel, you were either doing the griefing or not playing.

"I don't like someone hit me " okay, call that a whine.

"Thousands of us are tired of being camped everytime we leave town and losing all our stuff" is not a whine. It's an open ruleset being abused by some very immature, selfish players. Who then ruined their freedom for themselves.

P.S. Galen I disagree... I think despite the fact that some players are newer and wouldn't see the appeal of something pre-AoS or pre-SE, a VERY large number want T2a or earlier. To act like everyone would just make up some different period they'd want to play in equal numbers, so it would be pointless, is being a little obtuse.
What's a large number?

Draconi obviously isn't in that very large number. He wants T2A era.

Is a large number the couple of hundred cited by the original poster in this thread? If so I'd call that nearly negligible. And want to bet there's multiple preferences even among that couple of hundred?

What about the 7,000 people playing free shards. Lots of kinds of free shards exist. (That 7,000 figure isn't mine, it comes again from the original poster.)

Someone else told me that "everyone" can agree on pre-AoS. You come along and say that "a very large number" want pre-T2A. You can't both be right. Someone else comes along and says that "everyone" wants pre-Ren. Others say they want post-Ren, but pre-AoS.

Just look over the replies to the threads. It's not, literally, that everyone wants something different. It is, however, fair to say that there are multiple options popular among the vocal minority that want this to begin with.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's a large number?

Draconi obviously isn't in that very large number. He wants T2A era.

Is a large number the couple of hundred cited by the original poster in this thread? If so I'd call that nearly negligible. And want to bet there's multiple preferences even among that couple of hundred?

What about the 7,000 people playing free shards. Lots of kinds of free shards exist. (That 7,000 figure isn't mine, it comes again from the original poster.)

Someone else told me that "everyone" can agree on pre-AoS. You come along and say that "a very large number" want pre-T2A. You can't both be right. Someone else comes along and says that "everyone" wants pre-Ren. Others say they want post-Ren, but pre-AoS.

Just look over the replies to the threads. It's not, literally, that everyone wants something different. It is, however, fair to say that there are multiple options popular among the vocal minority that want this to begin with.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player
Wait so, this idea is totally in the toilet, if we can't scientifically prove excatly which publish would have the strict numerical majority in popularity?

I don't honestly care exactly which era, as long as it's pre-AOS. Most people who played from my period (and I played at UO's PEAK) want pretty much the same from everyone I have talked to. If they opened a slightly modified launch version I'd play it. If they opened T2A I'd play it. If it was anything up to the day before AoS I'd play it. So would a large number of people.

*Shrugs*

Besides, nothing's saying they couldn't do two. Again, I absolutely can't believe adding two new shards would cost them anything like big content patches or expansions. Unless SA somehow goes against ALL the precedent of the UO expansions and somehow attracts all kinds of new players at UO's 11 year mark (seems very unlikely) then it is quite reasonable to assume something simple like a classic runeset shard would be an easier, more effective, more popular, CHEAPER way to maintain and re-attract subscriptions than these expansions for a commercially obsolete game that kids in newer MMO's won't try.

*Shrugs*

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, D....Your merely posting in this thread is going to cause these "discussions" to go on, and on, and on......*sighs*
Aye. We don't seem to have an Ideas Den anymore though.

Your post does, however, illustrate the point I was trying to make in this thread:

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=118437

which is that the time period selected for a "classic" shard is arbitrary, and an individual decision. Any time period you select will cause for calls for another shard to be created reflecting yet another time period that was supposedly a golden age for the game.
That has been one of the most well cited internal arguments. No one could agree on what's best, and won't agree do every version (nor would I support that).

Oh, and while you're at it, fix all the bugs from that time period....Also fix the massive lag spikes that existed then....Hey, could you create a classic shard from the time period when LS was so laggy it was so unplayable that you gave LS players a free month?
:)

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eh don't mind him Draconi. You'd think there were no serious bugs in the present client. LOL.

Anyone's macros work in KR? *Crickets chirping* I'm sure some people's do , but mine don't.

So, yeah, Galen, "oooh, there'd be some bugs", pfft. If that would scare you off I don't see why you're in UO. :)

Back to this sexy classic shard idea. So far one person thinks the idea is crap. ;)

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
THanks for your thoughtful post Duskofdead (several posts back now). I think you are absolutely right.

Draconi-- My rose colored glasses are definitely not as pink as some of the other people around here at stratics have on their noses when it comes to looking back at the past, but hey, a clasic shard to settle this debate that has been raging here for the last 3 years on a daily basis would be great for all. We should ask the stratics mods to create a separate warped-back- in-time UHall as well so they can whine and complain about nerfs, bank sitters carebears, cheats, rez killers, speed hacks, the lack of support, overpowered templates, unfair treatments and all in a place I don;t have to browse through. Perhaps some of the biggest offenders can then just click on a yes/no icon to repost the same posts they made 6 years ago to save themselves some time.

Meanwhile I am just going back to play the game now, and waste another good evening on the "worst MMORPG" around. Funny how I keep doing that. Perhaps I actually enjoy myself. Hmm... yeah, I actually really like this game and I am quite passionate about it. Now more so than ever really :) Keep it coming, changes nerfs and all. Worst thing is to be stuck in time and not having anything to adjust to on a very frequent basis. Hence, I will not go back to a frozen-in-time T2A server, and therefore I am happy to pay my 12-24 dollars a month to keep this game running with all its flaws and future adjustments.

oh, and I found the perfect reply to Rico after all this time, I hope I can keep it up...li

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for saying what needed to be said regarding the PvP .. or rather, the elitist PvP mindset certain players have, Thav.

I don't think anyone who played "back in the day" is under any delusions that there were many bugs and problems. I just think people who nay-say that a classic shard is a poor idea for that reason are putting on some heavy blinders. I'd like them to point out a period where UO was ever free from rather serious bugs, exploits and problems.

....lo

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice try I guess?

I remember a couple of them on LS. Used to hit people mostly around the Minoc Mines. One of the now-former dev team members (Sannio I think?) used to be an infamous PKer in the Dungeon Despise, one-hit-killing people with a Heavy Crossbow of Vanquishing. (I forget the shard.)

These kinds of players typically have lots of friends. Ganking was, and is, rarely going to be an issue. It was something they did more often than something that was done to them.

It has always been easier to get people together on the basis of doing bad than it is on doing good. PKs thus always had, and continue to have, an easier time grouping up than anti-PKs did.

One of the worst parts about Trammel, actually, is the way it's enabled strange, rose-colored memories of how things were before it was created.

-Galen's player

I've never one hit killed anybody or been one hit killed myself. Two hits yes, one maybe if I had 70 HP and someone got a very lucky shot in. A lot of the imbalances in this game come from exadurations.

Overpowered weapons/moves are not isolated to just one era. I've been dropped plenty of times in almost an instant during T2A, UO:R, AoS, Ninjaland etc. I'm sure during the first couple months of SA some fool will be running around kicking butt until they nerf the new imbalance they created.

Trying to say overpowered weapons only existed in one time or another is very inaccruate and makes your original argument weak.

Y

Yazman

Without getting myself too imbedded into this argument, I just want to respond to this:

PS, 100,000 players was the total number of players 6 months after UOs initial release. That number spiked to over 250,000 after T2A. AOS or any expansion after that didnt bring in numbers like that, now did they? No, as a matter of fact, those expansions caused more people to quit.
Actually, AOS did bring in numbers like that. You have your numbers wrong. The 250,000 number didn't come until AOS came out... the number only dropped in the years after AOS.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

For a classic shard, why not just go back to day 1? Like a re-launch with bugs fixed, and let everyone that was not around back then experience it as it happened. The T2A roll out, the additions of new creatures, etc.

There is no need to pick a specific start point, just a specific end point... UO:R. Almost everyone adjusted to the various fixes and tweaks back then, as they were not massive world changing events, like the Tram/Fel split.

Or even better...take what you have learned in the last 11 years, and apply it gradually while avoiding the mistakes of the past.

You could call the shard Utopia!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right, if UO had a classic server, we would *have* to exclude expansion content and ongoing content from the normal shards. This would be massively different than how we handle Siege and Mugen, for example. (I wouldn't rule out a separate and involved set of content fitting in-line with that shard, however).

Now, admittedly, I'm a personal believer in the T2A expansion for a classic shard. It felt like a real add-on to the original game, and not a replacement or "update."
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO IT!!!!!!!!
Yes, I'd recommend to do that, just to prove that only a handful of people will actually play on such a shard. What people do not seem to understand:

The problems UO has today are NOT a result of EVERYTHING that was brought into the game since AoS. The problems are caused by maybe TWO major mistakes of previous game designers (Trammel/Felucca split, and making the game too item-based). Most of the other game additions are fantastic and great.

You cannot solve our problems by reverting everything to pre-AoS. You only will fix UO if you try to find a solution for those two issues, that changed everything for the worse.

(I am aware that before Trammel, PKs used to grief players massively. However, there are many other and better solutions to this problem but splitting the world and creating a Trammel mirror.)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This is a bit off topic, but my heavy crossbow vanq is one of two weapons that I ever broke from overuse rather than having it lost, stolen or looted from my corpse (the other being the vastly underrated crossbow of vanq). It took quite a bit of tactics to avoid the gank (i.e. NEVER chase anyone down) and disarming hadn't started yet, but in 1 v 1 or 1 v 2 fights, my fencer/archer always came out on top (also used a kryss of power).

But I never one hit killed anyone with it apart from thieves, who often had very little strength back then.

I have been one hit killed quite a lot, but that was because my bard-mage had a heck of a time getting to more than 40 hit points, and usually had less. Having to work strength every few days was the worst part of playing back then outside of the lag, frequent server reverts, house looting bugs, skill gain by proximity, impossibility to gain some skills higher than 92 (smithing, tailoring, music, for example) and on... and on...

Come to think of it, if I played today's game then reverted back to the old game, I would likely quit. I don't want the old problems to come back.

I want a BRAND NEW set of problems to complain about!

R

RichDC

I read alot about the Trammel/Fel split and how it ruined the game,

I wasnt there for this i joined just after rennaisance.

But, What happened to ORDER/CHAOS Guilds??

wasn't this addition meant to mean players coukd PvP anywere at any time???

Why not bring this back(or allow faction fighting) in trammel??

If the order/chaos i think there should be some unique reward/penalty for being in said guilds (not item based, idk maybe some kind of unique title or even open one of the virtues and incorperate them into it) Maybe even that certain town guards will attack on sight (not the same guards that insta kill) to either the order/chaos (yew/bucs attack order and Moonglow/Skara attack chaos...something like that)

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never one hit killed anybody or been one hit killed myself. Two hits yes, one maybe if I had 70 HP and someone got a very lucky shot in. A lot of the imbalances in this game come from exadurations.

Overpowered weapons/moves are not isolated to just one era. I've been dropped plenty of times in almost an instant during T2A, UO:R, AoS, Ninjaland etc. I'm sure during the first couple months of SA some fool will be running around kicking butt until they nerf the new imbalance they created.

Trying to say overpowered weapons only existed in one time or another is very inaccruate and makes your original argument weak.
Good thing that isn't anything close to what I said, then.

For anyone whose confusion is genuine, I don't think there's many, the reason I brought this up is as follows.....A lot of people think that one-hit-kills, especially in PvP, are an issue. Ok, this is definitely an arguable point. However, to the extent that it is an issue it's been an issue for a long, long time. Not something that a "classic shard" would necessarily fix.

That's really all. Luckily I think most people reading this knew what I meant, or at least I hope so.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My worst fear here, D., is that sooner-or-later, the minority that want this odd change will appear to be a majority (even though they aren't), then you all will do it, and it will cause more problems.

These boards can cause major "group think" and it's very easy to forget that most players don't come here.

(Quick aside: That is one of the reasons that you all need to do better about linking the UO startup screen to UO.com, so that way most players will at least see what's posted there, or rather won't have an excuse for not seeing it.)

If you all do this, you will have a new shard to maintain and keep up, design content for, and fix bugs on. Because regardless of what they say, the people who play this will want all those things. Siege is a great example. A shard whose volume greatly exceeds its numbers.

If you all do this, get ready to have to fix the zero-spell damage bug (which you all never did nail down), the one-hit-kills from heavy crossbows of vanquishing, the one-hit-kills from early pre-AoS runics, the "blessed faction runics," the way the magic weapons you'd hear about from the NPCs were gotten by another player before you got them, the various bugs in escort quests, the way tamers could walk around with 3 dragons or 8 nightmares, the tameable Ancient Wyrms, the way non-tamers could ride nightmares, the way the ferry from Skara Bare to the mainland didn't work (this btw was the source of the first prediction of UO's imminent death I could find on the usenet), the way GM weapons were superior to most magic weapons obtained from PvM, [insert various issues that caused complaints in various time periods].

And then get ready to hear complaints from the people whose favorite time period you didn't pick. And from those who have lag, and will ask for multiple classic shards positioned regionally.

You'll get some players, make no mistake. But they won't stay long, and their subscriptions won't make up for the cost and effort.

-Galen's player

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

You'll get some players, make no mistake. But they won't stay long, and their subscriptions won't make up for the cost and effort.

-Galen's player
Sadly, given some time to consider it, you could be right.

The reason that players enjoyed the old days of UO had a lot to do with the lack of options available. I don't necessarily mean other games...but in UO itself.

Nowdays, if a player logged on to the Classic shard, and was PK'ed 1 too many times, they would just get frustrated and go back to their old Trammy shards and think how wonderful it is they don't have to put up with "griefers" there.

But back then, none of us had that option, so that was the world we grew to love. And when EverQuest launched, and the people that didn't want to be PK'ed heard that EQ was not going to be truly open PvP...many went there instead. Now, they would just go back to WoW if all of UO was made "classic rules".

I guess there really is no going back. :(

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The real cure is just everyone joining siege perilous and starting their. Theres no trammel, theres no dupes, the economy is not ruined, there is no insurance which makes everything equal and great. The community is tight and works togeather. Its the best shard avilable so everyone just come check it out and join us thank you.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The real cure is just everyone joining siege perilous and starting their. Theres no trammel, theres no dupes, the economy is not ruined, there is no insurance which makes everything equal and great. The community is tight and works togeather. Its the best shard avilable so everyone just come check it out and join us thank you.
Well that's all well and good... but for starters..... SP only allows one character per account...... So that right there would make me say NO way!.... I play in the number of 40 some characters... which I enjoy..... I must have wondrous variety...

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Siege is still item based.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think a lot of you underestimate how many people would like to experience pre-AoS UO again. There were, bluntly, many more of us than there are players who joined/preferred post-AoS. Pre-AoS was UO's peak.

If the experiences on my shard have been any indication whatsoever (myself being recently returned and spending an awful lot of time around Haven, training in old Haven, and be friending or at least talking to many of the (young) characters I see), there are a very large number of returning-from-long-absence players who were nostalgic for UO. In fact at least on my shard, these types EASILY vastly outnumber the truly new players. I can count the truly new players I've encountered on one hand, and I am a pretty chatty person in-game.

One of the most common questions I get is "ugh, is there a way to play the game the way it used to look?" That was in fact my very first question as well. I've explained to a lot of people where to get and how to set up running in the 2d client again since the free trial client pops you straight into KR.

There are obviously a lot of changes that are popular--- though I was not around for AoS and I have no idea which of these predate or postdate AoS. Bonding is very popular of course, even for non-tamers. (No fun buying a new horse three times a day.)

Whether we speak in anecdotes OR going by straight numbers (of how many people used to play UO vs. how many have played in the last several years), I think pretty much anyone is hard pressed to put forth more than a personal preference argument that a "majority" prefer UO as-is and do not long for some of the old days in one form or another. Not to mention all the players who have left and really aren't interested in playing UO: The Diablo 2 Conversion, even if they do feel a bit nostalgic from time to time. I think any type of pre-AoS classic shard would attract a lot of people back and I think someone saying they'd love to see it because it would "prove" only a small handful would play on it should place a wager. :)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

For the non-old timers here, the UO expansions were:

Ultima Online: The Second Age (October 1, 1998) featured a new area of land called the Lost Lands, along with an in-game chat system and new creatures. Also known as T2A. It was released in two boxed versions with the first having different artwork and a single manual.

Ultima Online: Renaissance (April 3, 2000) doubled the size of the world, as there were literally two copies of it. The worlds were called Felucca and Trammel, after the two moons in Ultima's Britannia world. The Trammel world did not allow player killing and was geared towards fighting monsters. Felucca also adopted a darker, more foreboding look and kept it's player vs player roots. Subscription was at its height during this period[citation needed].

Ultima Online: Third Dawn (March 7, 2001) included a 3D client to compete with 3D competition like EverQuest. Also, a special Third Dawn only land was created, called Ilshenar. It was accessible only to 3D clients until the release of Lord Blackthorn's Revenge.

Ultima Online: Lord Blackthorn's Revenge (February 24, 2002) brought "a dark new world based on new characters from Todd McFarlane" to Ultima Online with improved game artificial intelligence, in-game help, and improved character creation.

Ultima Online: Age of Shadows (February 28, 2003) brought the landmass of Malas with space for new housing, two new character classes (Paladin and Necromancer) and the ability to customize house designs. The item system was completely reworked with this expansion. Armor resistance was split into five types of resistance, and many new properties that affected game play were added to weaponry. As good equipment became vital, this expansion also brought with it item insurance. Subscriptions started to fall as item dependency took over skill dependency[citation needed].

Ultima Online: Samurai Empire (November 2, 2004) brought ancient Japanese mythology and folklore to the game, two new classes (Ninja and Samurai) and a new area to explore, the Tokuno Islands. The new class skills shifted the balance of player vs. player combat away from mage dominance.

Ultima Online: Mondain's Legacy (August 30, 2005) introduced a new race, elves, and a new skill, spellweaving. Several dungeons were also added.

Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn (June 27, 2007) introduced a new client with new graphics and interface. As of August 2008, still unfinished.

Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss (TBA, 2009) will feature a new playable race, the Gargoyle, and a new skill, imbuing. Stygian Abyss will also feature significant upgrades to the Kingdom Reborn client, which will be renamed to the Stygian Abyss client. The legacy client will still be supported.[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online

Ultima Online has had several special releases which were not expansions, but came with boxed or in-game extras.

Ultima Online: Charter Edition (September 30, 1997) was available to pre-order from Origin Systems at the launch of Ultima Online and in small quantities alongside the standard retail box. It included a signed lithograph of the Ultima Online artwork by the Hilderbrandt brothers, a pewter pin badge bearing the Ultima Online logo and the box was signed by Richard Garriott. The Charter Edition also included the cloth map which was also a feature of the standard box.

Ultima Online: 7th Anniversary (September 25, 2004) was a special release of the game to celebrate Ultima Online's seventh birthday. Like all of the items listed in this section, this release did not bring anything new to the game and is not an expansion, although it did include a more recently patched CD; the Age of Shadows was still the most current version at the time. This release was contained in a small cardboard box containing a triple-CD jewel case, featuring Ultima Online: Age of Shadows, but also included Ultima IX: Ascension install and play discs as a special bonus. A glossy booklet showing the history of Ultima Online expansions was included which contained historic art and an interview from the Ultima Online team and community leaders. Also included in the package a code for an in-game gift, one of which was Ultima Online's famous Hilderbrant print, an extra character slot (a total of six characters was now available) and 7 buddy registration codes.

Ultima Online: Gold (July 18, 2005) was a special release sold by Wal-Mart and includes the same content as Ultima Online: Samurai Empire. This edition also comes with an Advanced Character token code, and quick-start manual.

Ultima Online: The Eighth Age (September 25, 2005) was a boxed game CD with an array of in-game tokens. Though not bringing any new features, the release was to celebrate Ultima Online's eighth birthday. The box included an updated game CD (with more recent patches), a glossy booklet feauring an atlas of Sosaria, in-game tokens for an anniversary gift (choice of 8), a character transfer, an advanced character and a 45-day free trial code. Also a time-limited blue soulstone was included.

Ultima Online: 9th Anniversary Collection (October 31, 2006). Formerly known as "Eve of a New Age." This came with an in-game upgrade code which redeemed 9 "Heritage Tokens", "Crystal" and "Shadow" items which matched new housing tile sets in the game, and attendants, which took the form of NPCs. These could be set to announce a player's presence in a house or to follow the player around on the map. The Heritage tokens could be redeemed for several kinds of items including special armor, weapons, and many house decoration items in various themes (3 fruit trees, a set of rugs, tables, a broken furniture set, a "dark" or evil furniture set and more).

C

CORRECTUO

Agreed regarding players like CorrectUO.
Players like me? Oh, so it was the players who didnt complain about the PvP, didnt she-dog every time I got PK'd, learned to play the game, enjoyed the element of danger, wasnt a red, (Thats right, I was never a red. 3 accounts and all of them were blue, Glorious Lords), hunted reds for fun (and the bounty), fished in his down time, (I enjoyed the fishing. Not only was it very lucrative, but it was relaxing to sit on a dock in town and just chill), and was actually a model player.

So it was people like that who are the problem? Pfft, dont assume to know what kind of player I was just because I have a strong zeal to see a classic server. Yes, I do treat those who disrespect the old days with equal disrespect. I am sick and tired of hearing the same old song and dance of "Oh there were ubar PK red gank squads everywhere! OH NOOOS!", over and over on here. Of all the time I spent in game during those "ever so dark days" I was PK'd maybe 10-12 times, and I can assure you, the largest number of people to ever come after me was 2 Reds. I deadly poisoned my sword and fought back, taking one of the SOBs with me, or I recalled out. Sure, the other killed me, at times, I wont deny it. Yeah, I got killed, so what? I rezed, regeared, and got back out there. One PK duo actually let me get my stuff back because I gave them the toughtest fight they had ever had. Not all of the reds were jerks.

Were there jerk PKs? Yes. But, on the flip side, there were even bigger jerk blues. Red didnt mean bad person. I ran into respectful reds and just as many disrespectful, arrogant, elitest blues. And with trammel, more and more arrogant blues came about. Why? Because they knew there was no consequence for their jerk behavior. At least in the old days, when you said step out side of town and say that to me, the majority shut up and backed down. After trammel, and the need to have to gate to another world, it made it easier for people to set up gank traps. You'd gate into Fel, and boom, you got toasted. In the old days, you could survey the situation from town before you set foot outside of it.

And to those who said there were no consequences for going red, you couldnt be farther from the truth. Its called, you went red. People hunted you, even hated you. I remember walking past a house surrounded by a guild who was after a certain red because he was harrassing their members. They trapped him inside his house and they were waiting for him to come out, earth quaking the house, and trying to meteor swarm him through the walls. I watched that for an hour. They eventually got the guy, killed him, cut him up, and took his head. They even got his house key and took stuff from the house. He was a red. An enemy of the good people. He got treated like garbage. That was your punishment.

I played UO from launch. I never cheated, I played by the rules, I was one of the people who actually helped new players. I had a GM tailor and Smith. If I saw a new player who ran into town begging for help, saying they got killed and looted, I gave them a suit of new armor and a spare with weapons. Sure, I got scamed a few times, but I didnt care. I did what I thought was right.

Now, if its players like that who are the problem, then I seriously think you need to reconsider your exact definition of what a problem player is.

-----------------------------------------------------------

And to Draconi, if you put in a classic server, I can assure you, you will see a large return of many of UO's past Vets. Ive been on AOC, WOW, LOTRO, WAR, DAOC, and Ive heard the same thing from many players, they would love nothing more than to return to UO. But not the UO it is today. They want their UO, the real UO. The UO without trammel, without the item over dependency, without the gimped skills. They want T2A. And they wont even mind the 2d graphics either. They have had the "pretty" games, with their great graphics, but poor game content. They want content over eye candy.

C

CORRECTUO

Sadly, given some time to consider it, you could be right.

The reason that players enjoyed the old days of UO had a lot to do with the lack of options available. I don't necessarily mean other games...but in UO itself.

Nowdays, if a player logged on to the Classic shard, and was PK'ed 1 too many times, they would just get frustrated and go back to their old Trammy shards and think how wonderful it is they don't have to put up with "griefers" there.

But back then, none of us had that option, so that was the world we grew to love. And when EverQuest launched, and the people that didn't want to be PK'ed heard that EQ was not going to be truly open PvP...many went there instead. Now, they would just go back to WoW if all of UO was made "classic rules".

I guess there really is no going back. :(
There is a going back, especially when proceeding further along a futile path that has only proven to drive people away.

Players have had their fill of the no PvP games, and they are sick of it. I cant tell you how many players on all of the other games I have been playing have said they would love nothing more than to come back to a classic server in UO, 2d graphics and all. Think people dont like the idea of open PvP? Take a look at the Darkfall forums. Over 40k+ people registered on there, and the number keeps growing. The bulk of those posters on there are former UO players looking for the UO experience they have lost.

Now, Darkfall is a doomed game because its developers are idiots. They have little to no idea of what they are doing. Darkfall is going to be very messed up and will fail shortly after its release. Those disappointed players who are yearning for the glory days of old UO are going to be looking for a place to go. If the UO devs were to launch classic server set in T2A, before trammel, those players would come back to UO. Thats 40K players that could come back.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO was destined to be a niche game after they canceled UO2. That was there biggest failure. Bigger than making trammel.

K

Karthcove

YES! Lets go back to a time before insurance, bags of sending, greater dragons, unbreakable gear.

Lets go back to a time before PVP, it was called PKing. PKers had to pick their targets and usually ran in groups. Most people tried to avoid going red, the consequences of stat loss made you think before initiating combat.

UO is turning into an arcade game, it is sad.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Think people dont like the idea of open PvP? Take a look at the Darkfall forums. Over 40k+ people registered on there, and the number keeps growing. The bulk of those posters on there are former UO players looking for the UO experience they have lost.
The problem you have is that other options exist now.

What made UO, the real UO of old, unique was that there was no place else to go. There were no choices. If you wanted to play, you had to deal with PKs. Some of us actually dealt with them very successfully back then. Others wanted no part of it.

I always thought that the system of PvP that UO had at its inception added a level of realism to the game that no other game has even touched. Granted, the devs should have built in more consequences for being a murderer, but it was still better than what we have now.

The problem with trying to go back is that you are going to have the same problem when the world was split into Tram and Fel. The people that want to participate in PvP will move to the classic server...and everyone else will stay put...on their Trammel servers. Sure, many vets and old timers will try it out. A lot of pre-AoS/post-Ren players will jump on, but once they start to get PK'ed often, their numbers will dwindle as they return to their current shards, or other games.

Believe me. Nothing would make me happier than to see a classic pre-UO:R shard. But I don't think it will be as popular as it could be, because it will be missing one thing that the real classic UO had...

...unwilling victims.

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What made UO, the real UO of old, unique was that there was no place else to go. There were no choices. If you wanted to play, you had to deal with PKs. Some of us actually dealt with them very successfully back then. Others wanted no part of it.

I always thought that the system of PvP that UO had at its inception added a level of realism to the game that no other game has even touched. Granted, the devs should have built in more consequences for being a murderer, but it was still better than what we have now.

The problem with trying to go back is that you are going to have the same problem when the world was split into Tram and Fel. The people that want to participate in PvP will move to the classic server...and everyone else will stay put...on their Trammel servers. Sure, many vets and old timers will try it out. A lot of pre-AoS/post-Ren players will jump on, but once they start to get PK'ed often, their numbers will dwindle as they return to their current shards, or other games.

Believe me. Nothing would make me happier than to see a classic pre-UO:R shard. But I don't think it will be as popular as it could be, because it will be missing one thing that the real classic UO had...

...unwilling victims.
What you say makes sense but for me and many others I played with the peak of UO was not the Dread Lord vs Great Lord PK days but just afterwards when guild wars were implemented.

I don't think lack of innocent blues would be the problem versus lack of population UO has. A classic UO shard would be just a few opposing guilds and when they're not online the shard would be very quiet.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Players like me? Oh, so it was the players who didnt complain about the PvP, didnt she-dog every time I got PK'd, learned to play the game,
Players with a stick up their backside and an attitude precisely like what can be seen in the above quote, and which characterizes every post you make.

The insulting, belittling, condescending attitude that an online game, which everyone pays for and invests time into, should really only be the way you say it should be. If you choose to impose PvP (i.e., PK someone), that choice should be open to you, but the choice to not engage in it voluntarily (i.e. go to Trammel, or non-PvP shard) should not be open to others. And if said people do want and make such a choice, they are just whiner crybabies who need to "learn" how to enjoy playing a game according to your desires and whims, even though they pay the same monthly fee as you.

That kind of arrogance, I believe, is what the poster I had quoted meant about you. And it seems he was spot-on.

The fact that it's an incredible double standard that you characterize anyone who doesn't like the game the way you say it should be (and everyone else should just have to adapt) as a "whining, complaining she-dogging crybaby", yet that "shut up and adapt, learn to like it or stop whining" answer does not seem to apply to yourself, or to people like you, who wish for open and free griefing rulesets to return universally, is just a side benefit of your weak and vitriolic argument which depends entirely upon saying people who disagree with you are whiners, rather than actually making your point on its merits.

C

CORRECTUO

Players with a stick up their backside and an attitude precisely like what can be seen in the above quote, and which characterizes every post you make.

I see you chose to ignore my entire post and focused on one specific part. Typical.

The insulting, belittling, condescending attitude that an online game, which everyone pays for and invests time into, should really only be the way you say it should be. If you choose to impose PvP (i.e., PK someone), that choice should be open to you, but the choice to not engage in it voluntarily (i.e. go to Trammel, or non-PvP shard) should not be open to others. And if said people do want and make such a choice, they are just whiner crybabies who need to "learn" how to enjoy playing a game according to your desires and whims, even though they pay the same monthly fee as you.
I never said people shouldnt have a choice. They had a choice back then, it was called just leave the game, simple as that. Then they wouldnt be paying for anything. They knew they were logging on to PvP game. If they couldnt handle something like that, then why did they even bother buying the game to begin with? They were the makers of their own misery. It wasnt their PK's fault, nor was it the game's. It was their own. No one was keeping them on UO, they could have left if they couldnt figure out how to play the game.

Today, all people like me are asking for is classic servers, not the reversion of the current ones. I never said, revert all of the current servers, I said, make new retro ones and we will see which is the more popular.

That kind of arrogance, I believe, is what the poster I had quoted meant about you. And it seems he was spot-on.
You call me arrogant, yet you criticize me for criticizing those who once she-dogged for trammel, yet you do not cirticize those who oppsed the PvP for what they did. You preach about double standards, yet you enforce one yourself. Those who oppsed the PVP forced a way of playing that violated the way many other players enjoyed by eliminating the open PvP. Those people were paying just as much money as those who opposed the PvP. How was that fair to those who liked the open PvP? The people who opposed the open PvP came on the forums, insulted PvPers, calling them grifers, jerks, and every other name in the book. So where is your criticism for them? hmm? So, its okay for people who oppose PvP to call people who like it whatever they want like griefer and such, but when pro-PvP advocates speak up and call them whiners and carebears, its bad? Whats that called? Oh, its right on the tip of my tounge..... wait, I got it! DOUBLE STANDARD!

Not only does that make you arrogant, but a self-righteous hypocrite too.

So, when I say it was players like you who ruined UO, this proves I was right on the spot about it.

The fact that it's an incredible double standard that you characterize anyone who doesn't like the game the way you say it should be (and everyone else should just have to adapt) as a "whining, complaining she-dogging crybaby", yet that "shut up and adapt, learn to like it or stop whining" answer does not seem to apply to yourself, or to people like you, who wish for open and free griefing rulesets to return universally, is just a side benefit of your weak and vitriolic argument which depends entirely upon saying people who disagree with you are whiners, rather than actually making your point on its merits.
No double standards from me, I just call things like I see them. I did try to adapt to the new UO. Again your lack of reading skills strikes again. Time and time again I have said I played UO up untill modain's legacy, then I quit because I couldnt take the game anymore. Seems like I was living up to my own standards. I couldnt take it anymore, so I quit. Get it now, or do I need to post it in big neon letters with everything broken down phonetically so you can sound out the words and maybe grasp what is being said to you.

Again I never said for open PvP to return to all servers. Seriously, did you even pay attention in grade school? Or were you one of those.... special children who had to stay back a few years? As I have said in my posts, I as asking for retro servers, seperate from the post AOS servers. The retro servers would have the PvP, not the post AOS ones. See how that works? Or do you need to re-read this a dozen or so times so you can comprehend the word "The".

I criticize those who did not try to adapt back in the old days because I tried to adapt to the "new and oh so great" post AOS changes that have thus far proven only detrimental to UO. Did I come on to the forums after AOS and cry and pancake after my smith got gimped and my GM made gear was rendered garbage? No, I tried out the new system, mostly to no avail because I didnt have the 500k gold for the 120 power scrolls. Did I come on here and whine when my warrior/mage became useless? No, I changed him from a warrior/mage to a paladin, undoing a lot of hard work I put into the character. Did I complain when I had no choice but to move to trammel because I didnt have the epic gear needed to fend off the new uber artifact reds who were now dominating everything? No, I moved to trammel and delt with it.

So, no, there is no double standard, sir, there is only a disgruntled player who put up with a lot of years of crap updates and expansions out of loyalty to a game I once enjoyed immensely.

Hell, this line here tells me all I need to know about you...

or to people like you, who wish for open and free griefing rulesets
If you were any sort of fair or impartial person, you would acknowlege that old UO wasnt all griefing and rampant PK'ing, and simply said you wish for open PvP to return universally. But you didnt, and that wasnt what I was asking for, so you would have been wrong either way.

And, about griefing, it still happens, even in trammel. getting PK'd isnt getting griefed, its just getting killed. Griefing is the act of causing another player grief, and its a lot easier to do it in a non-PvP environment. I remember after the split I went into trammel to see what was going on. I went into third level despise to kill the ogre lords there. I found an entire guild hogging all of the spawns down there. I managed to get one lord for myself. As soon as I started to fight it, the guild started attacking it too. After it was dead, the looted it and left nothing for me. I shrugged it off at first, though, meh, no biggie. But after the 4th or 5th time, I got ticked off. I confronted them about it, said, Hey, stop taking my kills. Their reply: "lol, tough **** noob". lol, tough **** noob...... yeah, thats not griefing, now is it? (if you can't tell, which you probably can't, Im being sarcastic)

What was worse, that became a trend, and very popular one at that. Loot and kill stealing ran rampant in Trammel. Why? Because there was no repercussions for it. People could be the biggest jerks they wanted to be because there was no way to get back at them. I met reds with more respect than that. And thats just one instance of non-violent griefing. There is only one way to violently grief, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of ways of non-violent griefing.

Bottom line, you've got not right to look down your nose at me. You may try to act intelligent and speak like some collegiate dictionary, but you're no better than any other mud slinger on here.

I'm calling for retro servers, so those of us who enjoyed the real UO can do so once again. Those of you who are afraid of getting PK'd and lack the maturity to handle it, say in post AOS la la land for all I care.

C

CORRECTUO

There were choices. People didnt have to play the game if they didnt like it. EQ came out, what, a year after UO did? People didnt have to stay. Now, unless those people had some sort of fetish about inflicting self torment, there must have been something that people enjoyed about UO despite the PvP that they enjoyed. And there was a lot more to old UO than just PvP. The crafting was fully functional. The PvM was balanced and enjoyable. Even just hanging around in town offered something.

I say stat and skill loss would have been a good way to punsh PKs. Maybe even some sort of prison time for the character. I for one would have like to have seen executions for major offenders coupled with perma-death for the character, should it have been captured to begin with.

Look at the Darkfall forums. There are over 40k+ people on there willing to play and are even exicted about a game that offers getting PK'd and getting looted. The prospect of losing all your stuff adds a level of excitement that isnt offered in any game out there. Now, Darkfall is a doomed game. Its development team is too inept. T2A servers would flourish because all of those players are going to be looking for the UO experience they have been missing for years.

Ive been on WoW, LoTRO and a lot of the other games out there. I have found countless numbers of old UO players who remember the old days and what it was like to get PK'd, looted, etc. Guess what, they want it back. They are like you and me, people who can deal with such a situation and welcome it. Why? Because its a challenge and its extremely rewarding when someone manages to excell in said circumstances. That is what those players are yearning for. They lost UO once, they will not lost it again by walking away.

...unwilling victims.
Anyone who gets killed is an unwilling victim. think about it...

is that miner there to dig ore or get killed? Answer, he's there to mine ore. However, he knows that because he is outside of town, he can be killed by anyone, and can accept that fact and has taken precautions. (IE, giving his miner magery or fighting skill or hiding so they can defend themself or escape should the need arise)

What the T2A servers would need is not unwilling victims, its people who know they can end up as victims and be able to handle it. People who will, rez, regear, then get back out there and not whine, moan, and cry about it.

G

Gandie

I think i would cry irl :D (in joy) if they did open up a, fel only, pub15 server with a few modifactions.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

What the T2A servers would need is not unwilling victims, its people who know they can end up as victims and be able to handle it. People who will, rez, regear, then get back out there and not whine, moan, and cry about it.
Do you actually read these forums?

When has anyone ever died in PvP and not whined about it?? :D

Just look at all the "Please nerf..." threads here.

I would love to play on a T2A server. I am just realistic in the fact that many, many, UO subscribers wouldn't like it.

I just think that with non-open PvP servers available, and other games that are worth playing if you are not into PvP, that a classic shard would not draw as many people as some think it would...at least not long term. But with that said, I would gladly leave my home shard, Atlantic, and start over on a classic shard.

C

CORRECTUO

Do you actually read these forums?

When has anyone ever died in PvP and not whined about it?? :D
Actually, back in T2A, the only thing I saw was a few comments passed once or twice by people. You'd get the usual, Damn reds, or something like that said in town. Then it would be followed by "Im gonna get that SOB back" or something to that effect.

Yeah, I read the forums now, and all of the complaints about PvP are bull, really. Everyone knows the PvP is wrecked, so why do they even bother competeing in it? They do it just so they have a reason to whine, thats all.

Just look at all the "Please nerf..." threads here.
All of those please nerf threads are results of post AOS patching. It has nothing to do with a retro server or the way UO used to be played.

I would love to play on a T2A server. I am just realistic in the fact that many, many, UO subscribers wouldn't like it.
Current subscribers wouldnt like it, no. Most of the current players are artifact slaves who cant so much as take 2 steps without having an epic suit of uber overpowered artifacts to guide them. Then the other subs are just asian gold farmer accounts, and, well, they really arent players so they dont count anyway.

but the old players, from a long time ago, would come back and stay.

I just think that with non-open PvP servers available, and other games that are worth playing if you are not into PvP, that a classic shard would not draw as many people as some think it would...at least not long term. But with that said, I would gladly leave my home shard, Atlantic, and start over on a classic shard.
Have you been on the other games out there? Have you ever sat and actually talked to the players? Do you know how many old school UO'ers out there would gladly come back to a classic, open pvp, t2a server? Believe me, there are a lot of them. I spent 4 hours in AoC talking to over 500 UO vets about the old days in the global OOC chat. On WoW, I met an entire guild of over 150 old UO vets who would leave their level 70, twinked out, paladins, mages, rogues, etc behind and come back and stay on the classic server. All of the players I have spoken to are sick and tired of the no PvP rule sets of these other games.

The players are out there, all EA needs to do is give them what they want. Mark my words, if EA puts in retro servers, players will come back and stay. I would bet everything I own on it.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I don't exactly understand why someone that was looking for an experience like Classic UO would play WoW.

WoW is the very embodiment of the Anti-Classic UO.

-Item based beyond all belief
-Class based/level based instead of skill based
-Fruity colors and cute graphics abound
-Useless crafting
-No community
-Lack of open PvP

Sounds alot like the UO of now...

:sad4: