• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Return of an Legend, Wilki!

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those of you who have screamed of the upcoming the death of UO and point out that to many of the old Dev team are gone... well.. the prodigal son posted in UHall of his return to the Dev team. Yes the player favorite Dev who went by the title of "Wilki" has rejoined the team to work on SA. Wilki's return to the game is and huge step in showing UO will be here a long time. So if you get a chance go over to UHall and welcome him home, he has been missed.
Whereof what's past is prologue...

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just asked who this Wilki person was and why anyone should care about him returning to work on UO. Wilki "John Wilkinson" started out moderating forums on Stratics, (Yes just like Draconi did) and was a active player of UO long before he started working for EA. When a position for an new Online Community Representative and Community Coordinator came up for UO Wilki applied and got the job. That was back in 2003 or 2004 and players from back then can tell you what a great job he did at it. He was known for his humor and being brutally honest with the players, and this earned him the respect of most of the player base. He did make some angry too because he did not hold any punches back when a player had them coming.

Soon after that he got a chance of a lifetime and took it. He became part of the dev team and was involved in many things players loved (The Candle of Love event was pure Wilki) and a few that made people laugh, (He helped start the bacon on valentines day tradition. By making a mistake.) he was if I remember correctly the person who brought about the greater dragons. He was a constant presence on the boards and was always taking feedback from the players on many subjects from PvP to working out problems that only the Siege players were having. You could say Wilki is the peoples dev and that is why he is so loved.

UOForums Interview with Wilki
UOCODEX.COM (WILKI)
Yahoo games: Ultima Online Memories

woody

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that sums him up beautifully also always told it as it was

C

Corvak

So he's the guy who I should blame...I know you tamers love em, but i'm a chiv swords, and those greaters eat me in two hits.

...why the hell is there bacon in my valentines box, anyway?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...why the hell is there bacon in my valentines box, anyway?
Here's the short answer. The code for a slice of bacon and a rose in a vase are the same id number in the 2 different coding systems UO uses. Wilki was using the wrong code for the system he was in, and bacon appeared in the valentines day boxes when it hit test. It became such a joke that it was left in, now it's become tradition.

Personally, it wouldn't even feel like valentines day to me without a slice of bacon.

C

Corvak

Hahah, that's brilliant...

Besides, everyone knows that adding bacon to something just makes it better.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How ironic, the single thing this man is best known for was a screw up!
And he is universally considered the best Dev in recent history!

That should say something!