• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The perfect keybinding setup

G

Gourd

I'll just state some of my background with gaming. I started playing UO around the time AoS was announced but not yet released. I got into World of Warcraft soon after it was released, and have been playing it competitively since then (about 6 years). I've been doing arenas as a mage in that game since the concept was introduced, and have been forced to change keybinds/macros like crazy to keep up. I am now getting back into UO, and have been trying to implement everything I learned from WoW into my UO playstyle.

Something I learned from playing WoW, is that you can never have too many keybinds, and that your most timing-oriented spells/abilities should all be as close to each other with as little movement across the keyboard as possible. Since this game doesn't use WASD for movement, this makes it all the easier.

I use a Logitech MX518 mouse, but any mouse with at least 1 thumb button should suffice. I remapped my first thumb button (mouse4) to act as SHIFT key, and my second thumb button (mouse5) to act as the CTRL key. This essentially triples the amount of hotkeys I can use on my keyboard. I use a Windows program called 'X-Mouse Button Control v1.52' for this.

For simplicity sake, all you really need is 1 thumb button on the side of your mouse. The QWE, ASD, and ZXC keys (all positioned closely for better access) will be what you bind spells and abilities to, as well as SHIFT+Q,W,E,A,S,D,Z,X,C for a second set of spells in the same spot on the keyboard. This eliminates having to move your left hand across the keyboard in a heated situation.

Not sure how useful this keybinding strategy works for melee, but as a longtime caster, I think this is very close to an optimal setup. If anyone else does something similar, I'd love to know how.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll just state some of my background with gaming. I started playing UO around the time AoS was announced but not yet released. I got into World of Warcraft soon after it was released, and have been playing it competitively since then (about 6 years). I've been doing arenas as a mage in that game since the concept was introduced, and have been forced to change keybinds/macros like crazy to keep up. I am now getting back into UO, and have been trying to implement everything I learned from WoW into my UO playstyle.

Something I learned from playing WoW, is that you can never have too many keybinds, and that your most timing-oriented spells/abilities should all be as close to each other with as little movement across the keyboard as possible. Since this game doesn't use WASD for movement, this makes it all the easier.

I use a Logitech MX518 mouse, but any mouse with at least 1 thumb button should suffice. I remapped my first thumb button (mouse4) to act as SHIFT key, and my second thumb button (mouse5) to act as the CTRL key. This essentially triples the amount of hotkeys I can use on my keyboard. I use a Windows program called 'X-Mouse Button Control v1.52' for this.

For simplicity sake, all you really need is 1 thumb button on the side of your mouse. The QWE, ASD, and ZXC keys (all positioned closely for better access) will be what you bind spells and abilities to, as well as SHIFT+Q,W,E,A,S,D,Z,X,C for a second set of spells in the same spot on the keyboard. This eliminates having to move your left hand across the keyboard in a heated situation.

Not sure how useful this keybinding strategy works for melee, but as a longtime caster, I think this is very close to an optimal setup. If anyone else does something similar, I'd love to know how.

Out of curiosity, with so many key-combinations to have to remember and the need to respond fast in combat, how often does one mix up the keys and use the wrong ones rather than the ones needed by the situation ?

That is, is my concern, having too many keys does not backfire into making one make too many mistakes during a fight which could cost the fight ??

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of curiosity, with so many key-combinations to have to remember and the need to respond fast in combat, how often does one mix up the keys and use the wrong ones rather than the ones needed by the situation ?

That is, is my concern, having too many keys does not backfire into making one make too many mistakes during a fight which could cost the fight ??
After a time you should have most of your macros memorised, but the key thing is to learn from your mistakes. Is my Flamestrike next to my Greater Heal macro? Maybe I should move them apart so I don't kill my teammate by mistake again. Am I stretching my hand across the whole keyboard for a simple spell? Maybe I should rethink the layout of my macros. Its really just a case of playing with and marking the spot of each macro as you go. Personally I find myself reaching for spell macros I have set up on PVP characters while I am on PVM characters and then wonder why nothings happening :D

T

Tazar

Does anyone use the G-19 keyboard ?

It looks quite expensive but does it provide that extra boost to gaming making it worth it ?
Other than being able to select the "backlight key color", I can't really see much difference between that G-19 and others like the G-15 and G-110. Personally, I prefer the older-version of the G-15 because it has 18 additional macro keys instead of the 12 with the G-19.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After a time you should have most of your macros memorised, but the key thing is to learn from your mistakes. Is my Flamestrike next to my Greater Heal macro? Maybe I should move them apart so I don't kill my teammate by mistake again. Am I stretching my hand across the whole keyboard for a simple spell? Maybe I should rethink the layout of my macros. Its really just a case of playing with and marking the spot of each macro as you go. Personally I find myself reaching for spell macros I have set up on PVP characters while I am on PVM characters and then wonder why nothings happening :D
After 13 years...yeah, I know my macros lol When I try to help my friend, I just can't get why he doesn't understand my madness when it comes to key combos. I will bend him to my will muahahahaha