• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The other Thread

R

Robthemilt

People still dont understand the setup. When GED finds something he wants his mind goes "how stupid is this person?..." Then he starts a conversation over the item. After a few lines of dialogue, "OH. He really is this stupid. How do i exploit it?" He is playing the human element of the game more than any other in game action short of running a major guild. The steal is his ingame macro for steal last target just like when most of us do it. The only difference is rather than finding someone who doesnt realize we are there, he does everything in plain sight. He even did it for a pizza once. So its not all about the items. He obviously enjoys the hunt for the item, the setup, and guiding the mark into the trap. I personally admire the skill and patience these guys have.

Its like in poker. If i walked up to someone and beat them down to take their wallet, thats robbery and all out wrong. But if im in a poker game with someone i found willing to risk their money its another story. If rather than taking their money forcefully, i slow play my aces full and induce an all in, I just outplayed them.

And i know it doesnt really matter, but in the post where I told GED not to let the trolls win, i thought i deleted that. I really didnt think i'd posted it. But its there so whatever.

And lastly i'd like to ask again if anyone knows any programs that arent related the the game but would let me make video's of the game. I am a dungeon/field theif on a prodoshard. I dont have time to sit and take screenshots.

S

Sweeney

I agree, some of his thefts were highly entertaining. But when steals just consist of "I saw <name> here" and "You have successfully stolen the item", it isn't very amusing no matter what was grabbed.

I'd enjoy even a reagent grab if the story was nice.

Good item grabs are only useful for personal gain, not for a tale of thievery.

Quenchant

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have time to sit and take screen shots.
Screen shots are just as easy as hitting your steal macro. No time involved except perhaps in editing after the fact. The UO Screen Shot Utility is no longer listed on the front page. The Lupar Clan has a copy of it on their download page. I can't attest to the safety of this file as I have never downloaded this particular one. After setting a hot key, this will run in the background and you don't have to fuss with it.

For movies, Taski has been around for a bit and is open source. It is in response to the FRAPS commercial ware. Never tried it but here is the link for the download. I have never tried it so, let us know what you think if you try it.

Q

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree, some of his thefts were highly entertaining. But when steals just consist of "I saw <name> here" and "You have successfully stolen the item", it isn't very amusing no matter what was grabbed.

I'd enjoy even a reagent grab if the story was nice.

Good item grabs are only useful for personal gain, not for a tale of thievery.
qft

R

Robthemilt

Thank you guys. Quenchant I will be using the uoscreenshot thing Thank you.

And i am hoping to get a video program to work well enough that i can run effectively too. I'd love to start posting videos on youtube or the other boards of my antics, but so far they slow me down too much.

R

Robthemilt

OK ANOTHER question...

How do i put the pics in the reply?

T

The Green Thief

People still dont understand the setup. When GED finds something he wants his mind goes "how stupid is this person?..." Then he starts a conversation over the item. After a few lines of dialogue, "OH. He really is this stupid. How do i exploit it?" He is playing the human element of the game more than any other in game action short of running a major guild. The steal is his ingame macro for steal last target just like when most of us do it. The only difference is rather than finding someone who doesnt realize we are there, he does everything in plain sight. He even did it for a pizza once. So its not all about the items. He obviously enjoys the hunt for the item, the setup, and guiding the mark into the trap. I personally admire the skill and patience these guys have.

Its like in poker. If i walked up to someone and beat them down to take their wallet, thats robbery and all out wrong. But if im in a poker game with someone i found willing to risk their money its another story. If rather than taking their money forcefully, i slow play my aces full and induce an all in, I just outplayed them.

And i know it doesnt really matter, but in the post where I told GED not to let the trolls win, i thought i deleted that. I really didnt think i'd posted it. But its there so whatever.

And lastly i'd like to ask again if anyone knows any programs that arent related the the game but would let me make video's of the game. I am a dungeon/field theif on a prodoshard. I dont have time to sit and take screenshots.
Meh, we had a word for this sort of activity way back when...oh yeah, it's called scamming.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meh, we had a word for this sort of activity way back when...oh yeah, it's called scamming.
It seems as though people feel the word "scammer" is taboo now. There used to be plenty of "scammers" who posted in this forum. The thing is, they never tried to pass off scamming as a theft. Maybe it's just semantics *shrugs*. To me, it's not.

Hell, it would have been as if Galad or Belan had claimed to be thieves. They were very good at what they did, but they weren't thieves...la

S

Shinobi

It seems as though people feel the word "scammer" is taboo now. There used to be plenty of "scammers" who posted in this forum. The thing is, they never tried to pass off scamming as a theft. Maybe it's just semantics *shrugs*. To me, it's not.

Hell, it would have been as if Galad or Belan had claimed to be thieves. They were very good at what they did, but they weren't thieves...la
Hmmm...funny. You're still far too stubborn to admit that the item is stolen using the stealing skill. Again, if an item is STOLEN, then no matter how much you despise the method that was used to get it, it is a STEAL. How is this too hard for you to understand rico? STEAL an item...it is a STEAL. Another word for a steal? A THEFT. What character carries out thefts? A THIEF. Just because you don't agree with it does not mean it isn't a steal.

You need to stop being stubborn, admit that it is in fact a form of STEALING, and then say that you don't agree with that form of STEALING. I'll leave you with this one question rico, and don't dodge it like you do others. Answer this ONE question, yes or no...

Was the item stolen with the stealing skill?

T

The Green Thief

Hmmm...funny. You're still far too stubborn to admit that the item is stolen using the stealing skill. Again, if an item is STOLEN, then no matter how much you despise the method that was used to get it, it is a STEAL. How is this too hard for you to understand rico? STEAL an item...it is a STEAL. Another word for a steal? A THEFT. What character carries out thefts? A THIEF. Just because you don't agree with it does not mean it isn't a steal.

You need to stop being stubborn, admit that it is in fact a form of STEALING, and then say that you don't agree with that form of STEALING. I'll leave you with this one question rico, and don't dodge it like you do others. Answer this ONE question, yes or no...

You are making an argument that anything that is acquired by means of the stealing skill is a theft, correct? So anything stolen from Doom should be eligible for theft of the month. You do need to use the stealing skill, after all. =/

S

Shinobi

You are making an argument that anything that is acquired by means of the stealing skill is a theft, correct? So anything stolen from Doom should be eligible for theft of the month. You do need to use the stealing skill, after all. =/
Quit trying to be a smartass green. Doom stealing is a form of thief, but it isn't a pvp thief. So yes, doom thieves exist, that is why they have their own forum. But no, they aren't eligible for a pvp theft of the month. The two are already distinguished as doom thieves and pvp thieves.

You've been trolling these forums for years (even though you don't play anymore) stuck up rico's ass, I thought you would know the basics of these forums by now.

Think before you talk...

Quenchant

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back to the topic from the original poster......

OK ANOTHER question...

How do i put the pics in the reply?
When you hit the reply button, you will see a menu at the top of the reply box. The picture with the moon / sun and mountains is the button for inserting an image. If you don't see the insert image button, go to advance mode (button at bottom of reply box)

You can also attach images.

Q

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes.

With that said, that doesn't change the fact that said items were typically "stolen" from players with no risk, and this is the major problem. Hell, at least if they were stolen at a bank from a non-guildmate there would be a risk of the guards being called. Zip zero nada risk involved might as well be stolen from the floor of Doom on a production shard. I'll give the crates on Siege credit for the fact that they are at least attackable when venturing into Doom by other players. And you should probably tone down the conversation. Name calling is uncalled for. ^^...la

S

Shinobi

Yes.

With that said, that doesn't change the fact that said items were typically "stolen" from players with no risk, and this is the major problem. Hell, at least if they were stolen at a bank from a non-guildmate there would be a risk of the guards being called. Zip zero nada risk involved might as well be stolen from the floor of Doom on a production shard. I'll give the crates on Siege credit for the fact that they are at least attackable when venturing into Doom by other players. And you should probably tone down the conversation. Name calling is uncalled for. ^^...la
Actually, for your info, the majority of my persuasion steals have been at fel banks. Like I said before, the reason my steals in january were done mainly in guilds was because I was x-shard stealing, and that was the quickest way to make cash. Most of the time I'm on atlantic and don't want to leave my guild, so I lure targets to fel banks.

I keep track of the artifacts I need to attempt to steal again because I was guard whacked, or just plain messed up the steal. For example, blade of righteous. Years ago I woke up one morning, and got online. I was still groggy, but within 10min of being online I had a target come with me to the fel skara bank. I persuaded him to unbless his blade of righteous. I have a technique I use to get unnoticed steals more often (of course it's all in theory, but it has helped me for years). I was still half asleep and didn't do the technique, I just hit the steal macro. Boom, instant guard whack. My sound ended up being cranked up really loud and you better believe I was wide awake after having a heart attack. So I still have to steal a blade of righteous to redeem myself one day.

So most of the time there is risk involved. Not to mention when you steal from them in fel, they can still chase you down and kill you. It's just that some players get a rush from stealing more valuable items. I know if I have a guy about to uninsure or unbless an item worth 100mil in front of me, I'm about to have a heart attack and I start shivering/shaking uncontrollably lol. Others may choose to take the chase out of the picture completely, and that's their choice.

Persuasion stealing is entirely situational. Whenever an opportunity for a good steal arises, you make it happen as fast as possible, in whatever way you can. If you can get them to your house, cool. If you can get them to a fel bank, awesome. If you even have to convince them to "test" a brace of binding to teleport them next to you in fel, so be it. Whatever gets the job done is what we do. Sometimes there is risk, other times there isn't. The more valuable the item, the bigger the rush for us.

My point is that even though some people may not entirely agree with it, it is still a method of stealing no matter how you slice it.

T

The Green Thief

Actually, for your info, the majority of my persuasion steals have been at fel banks. Like I said before, the reason my steals in january were done mainly in guilds was because I was x-shard stealing, and that was the quickest way to make cash. Most of the time I'm on atlantic and don't want to leave my guild, so I lure targets to fel banks.

I keep track of the artifacts I need to attempt to steal again because I was guard whacked, or just plain messed up the steal. For example, blade of righteous. Years ago I woke up one morning, and got online. I was still groggy, but within 10min of being online I had a target come with me to the fel skara bank. I persuaded him to unbless his blade of righteous. I have a technique I use to get unnoticed steals more often (of course it's all in theory, but it has helped me for years). I was still half asleep and didn't do the technique, I just hit the steal macro. Boom, instant guard whack. My sound ended up being cranked up really loud and you better believe I was wide awake after having a heart attack. So I still have to steal a blade of righteous to redeem myself one day.

So most of the time there is risk involved. Not to mention when you steal from them in fel, they can still chase you down and kill you. It's just that some players get a rush from stealing more valuable items. I know if I have a guy about to uninsure or unbless an item worth 100mil in front of me, I'm about to have a heart attack and I start shivering/shaking uncontrollably lol. Others may choose to take the chase out of the picture completely, and that's their choice.

Persuasion stealing is entirely situational. Whenever an opportunity for a good steal arises, you make it happen as fast as possible, in whatever way you can. If you can get them to your house, cool. If you can get them to a fel bank, awesome. If you even have to convince them to "test" a brace of binding to teleport them next to you in fel, so be it. Whatever gets the job done is what we do. Sometimes there is risk, other times there isn't. The more valuable the item, the bigger the rush for us.

My point is that even though some people may not entirely agree with it, it is still a method of stealing no matter how you slice it.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

S

Shinobi

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
We're thieves damnit. Thieves don't steal "politely". You're sounding like a pancake trammy green. We don't care how we get the item, we just make sure we get it (with the stealing skill). That's what being a thief is, stealing **** and looking out for yourself and fellow thieves. If you think that when you steal an item the person gets happy and thanks you, then you're an idiot. There is no nice way to steal, it all has the same end result. Go cry to someone else because your constant pancakes about a game you don't play anymore is really getting old. You are not part of this community anymore, get it through your head. I'm done replying to your trolling ass on the subject.

S

Sweeney

Just my piece. Burglars and pickpockets are different than con men.

S

Shinobi

Just my piece. Burglars and pickpockets are different than con men.
Some of the best thieves in history were con men. The two go hand-in-hand. Read the book Agent Zigzag by Ben Macintyre...true story about a thief/con man/double agent back in WWII.

There's no such thing as an honest thief. What do you think a disguise kit is for? We play into the disguise, act as a different, nicer person. Con men are able to get closer to their targets to make better steals, that's all.

S

Sweeney

Con-men disguise their true intentions. Other playstyles/lifestyles don't.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good story no matter what happens. But the same thing over and over without variation, gets very old very quickly.

I am in the school of the story is everything, not the item. You've read my posts, I give props where it is due. The entire point of posting steals is to brag about good steals, not good items.

The story makes the item worth while, not the other way around.

S

Shinobi

Con-men disguise their true intentions. Other playstyles/lifestyles don't.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good story no matter what happens. But the same thing over and over without variation, gets very old very quickly.

I am in the school of the story is everything, not the item. You've read my posts, I give props where it is due. The entire point of posting steals is to brag about good steals, not good items.

The story makes the item worth while, not the other way around.
Yeah I understand entirely. If the story sucks, it's only entertaining for the thief who stole the item, because he was there and made the steal.

When you find a good method of persuasion, it's hard to keep from using it often if it works well.

And by using a disguise kit to mask your name and appearance, odds are you are disguising your true intentions as well, otherwise you wouldn't care if people know you're a thief.

Regardless, you say that even though you may not agree with the method, you like a good story. That's it, you stated your opinion and now it is known. You aren't going to hunt down posts about this method of stealing and cause fights over and over just because you don't agree with it. Certain people can learn from you sweeney, lol.

S

Sweeney

You've caught me I guess, heh. I love using a disguise kit.. but only to get close to people, not to convince them to do something. But that is another argument for another day.

R

Robthemilt

I only played for about half an hour last night. It was a nice and sweet short fight, then i found barracoon sitting by himself in on the island.

I'd really like to get them to show in the post. Especially when i get an AMAZING katrina's crook or something worth showing. And btw, NONE of us do justice to the chase through the pics. Im going to have to tap that button like the old nintendo games and make a slideshow.

You've caught me I guess, heh. I love using a disguise kit.. but only to get close to people, not to convince them to do something. But that is another argument for another day.
I like you man but, actually this IS the argument of this thread. The thread was a response to the permission given by the mod on the april TOTM to make "another thread".

Shin calm down. Stop letting them get a rise out of you everytime they post. Notice Green barely ever posts if its not to **** you off.

Heres the breakdown as I see it after already typing all this crap you guys got lucky and I accidentally hit back before i could post so its gonna be shorter.

FACTS
Persuasion Thief = CON to get the target to be ******** enough to do something stupid to make the otherwise unstealable item stealable.
Persuasion Thief = USING THE STEAL SKILL to make the steal. Making the action a theft, labeling the perpetraitor (spellcheck me rico) a thief.
Persuasion Thief = CONing thief = Cunning thief. Congratulations guys.

the other side

NO RISK... Not all acts of persuasion stealing happen in someones house. I have witnessed Shinobi talk people into uninsureing their items sitting at a fel bank. (empath abby of all places) AS well as outside moongates, YES in the guardzones, and outside the thieves fortress. OUTSIDE in FEL, to BLUES AND REDS, who ARE CAPABLE OF KILLING YOU.
My inquis steal that was set up by shinobi happend OUTSIDE his house. and i was chased around the OUTSIDE of his house.

The real issue here is that either people are not giving the persuasion thieves the credit for stealing from players or they think that the persuasion thieves are *******. Well FACT from above says that it is from players, so get over it and stop posting arguements that fail to give credit to the; theft from a player, part of this. (Doctor Martine would shoot me for my grammar now)

Given the nature of the thefts you could claim that the thief in question may be afraid of a little danger given the recurring circumstances. But to say that they are "not thieves" is rediculous. To say that the thief is a *****, wuss, or any spineless name meaning "afraid of danger" makes some sense though unnecessary.

I know your going to mock my outline and make it all out to say scam which wont be hard, in my original i already did it. But heres where I HOPE this post sticks. A scam is a synonym for con. Con is a synonym for how we use the word persuasion. This point should not be argued anymore than you should be argueing that the "persuasion thieves" are not thieves. So from technical verbal/textual point you are correct in calling these people scammers. It fits the technical definition just as well as the word thief. The thing to realize is that constantly calling these people and their method scamming is attacking them. "Scammer" has a far more negative connotation than "Con artist" or "persuasion thief", and we all realize it, and some are motivated by that to keep it up. So by following any sort of logic at all shouldnt calling someone any thing in attempt to put them down or illicit a negative respons be considered a negative action? I'm not going to go searching through the rules, but wouldnt that be something worth some kind of negative repercussion (check me again PLEEEEEzE) I know that either Quenchant or Tozouko has already warned on another thread that we need to stop calling eachother scammers. So give it up already. Im not sure where the line for banning is, but we've got to be pushing it.

The word scammer as it has been thrown around so much should become a word that will get you flagged. like any list of "****". In fact it should be considered worse than any amount of swearing because used indirectly half of the words that get edited are not meant in any offensive manner, but are somehow taboo. SCAM however is meant to be offensive 90+% of the time its used and should not be allowed.

I dont usually advocate peace, I really enjoy getting a rise out of people, "Trolling" if you will. However I dont feel like this forum is the place for it. We've all got people we can go irritate who arent thieves. By our own code we're supposed to at least be civil with each other. By constantly attacking a valid method and the people who use it you are "Trolling" our forum, and should be removed.

All of the points in my first post have been adressed. Thank you for the help with the pictures. I am done with this thread. "This thread has come full circle.", Petra Fyde.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are not part of this community anymore, get it through your head.
He posts here...he's part of the community. Maybe you should work on understanding that. With that said...calm down already...you're going to have a stroke...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The word scammer as it has been thrown around so much should become a word that will get you flagged. like any list of "****". In fact it should be considered worse than any amount of swearing because used indirectly half of the words that get edited are not meant in any offensive manner, but are somehow taboo. SCAM however is meant to be offensive 90+% of the time its used and should not be allowed.
The thought police have spoken. YOU WILL NOT USE THIS WORD BECAUSE IT OFFENDS ME!!!

Really?...la

T

The Green Thief

Shin calm down. Stop letting them get a rise out of you everytime they post. Notice Green barely ever posts if its not to **** you off.
!!!ZOMG!!!

Generally I just keep an eye on the game I loved, and give some advice here and there. Occasionally I point out flawed logic (not my fault it's usually from Shinobi) and offer up ways to correct it.

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope that more old players stop by- at least to rile us with old stories and thefts, if nothing else. They are indeed part of our community. New thieves, old thieves, and thieves of different flavors and persuasions. None should be singled out for abuse, or excluded.
If anyone sees a thief- or any player for that matter- "scamming" or exploiting the game in any manner, a gm should be paged, the obligatory 7 weeks waiting fulfilled, and the report made. Here is not the place for those accusations, which is why they are not allowed and will not be allowed.
Disagreement is fine- anyone can agree that they disagree. If it is carried on and beyond reasonable levels however, then it will be deemed trolling.
It is just a game; let's keep our hostility for the soon-to-be-emerging crabgrass. Tactics vary.