• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The One and Only Pre-UOR Thread! Update -- 3 Polls of Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The party system did not exist pre-Tram. I know because I was shocked at the implementation they initially did - it echoed one that I wrote up in Ideas Den and based on another game I was playing at the time.

As I recall, ICQ was the guild-chat device then.

Going the "purist" route, a pure pre-UOR shard should not include chat or party system. Else, I would offer that some of the current facets of gameplay also be included.

More I have not seen:
No stat or skill locks. You worked your skills via the see-saw method or 8x8 and controlled them accordingly.

Skill working had a direct effect on stat increases. Work inscription, magery, spirit speak and INT would likely increase. Mining, Arms Lore and others would affect STR ... etc.

Mace weapons destroyed armor in a flash. Even the standard NPC macing weapon could cause GM plate to take damage.

Repair deeds did not exist. You had to find a smith to repair weapons and armor. And there was a good possibility it would be destroyed - even at GM ... moreso than today.

====
Ruleset splits ... DAoC does that as well. One or 2 co-op shards (Tram), some full PVP-only, some strict RP, the rest "normal" - RvR but no PK of realm-mates, etc. I'd go for it if EA did it right.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I'll be honest, I have a different perspective on this. I never played pre-uor, I started shortly after pub 16 or 17, I can't remember, and I didn't start PvP until AoS. That being said I am fascinated at the stories of Pre-UOR, and Would love a chance to play on that ruleset. I have no desire to play pre-uor the only way we can right now, which I can't talk about, so my only option is to hope EA makes a shard like this.

If there was a pre-uor shard, I would play it, and I would bet that it would bring people back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd enjoy it too - my account has only existed since AoS, but what skill is there in fighting with 40 LMC/14 MR/37 SDI when all you've gotta do is FS repeatedly or harm-spam/poison a person to death?

Games require skill - items SHOULD NOT replace that. Right now, they do.

Maybe I'll start PvPing again if there's a Pre-ren shard (Hell, even Pre-AoS would do it for me)

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

You seem to truly believe what you are saying, so I will leave you to your beliefs.

For a "Seeker of Truth", though, you disappoint me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how easy you give in?

It is obvious I believe in what I say.

All you offer up is opinion. Show me a history that says you are correct, and I will acknowledge it forthright.

In all your posts, you simply state "I Know this will have the desired effect!!...etc etc etc", and have little to no proof.

Debate should be a bit more than just telling people your views.

In fact, Lightshade, you may just want to read this:

http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3571358&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1

And the excerpt that I believe applies, most of all, in your case:

<blockquote><hr>

DEBATING 101

The tools used in debate:
Intelligent communication without malice or discord.
Supportable information and data that can be proven without refute.
Passion, integrity and emotion.
Belief in one's position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than just sharing your own opinion, which may or may not be valid, rebutt my "Beliefs" with something that can be verified, and that hasn't just been skewed to support your argument, without regard to it's validity.

Or, you can just give up

G

<blockquote><hr>

Going the "purist" route, a pure pre-UOR shard should not include chat or party system. Else, I would offer that some of the current facets of gameplay also be included.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone advocates for the "purist" route, unless they want 2 hour shard maintences, frequent downtimes, lots of bugs which has been fixed, etc.

Most are looking for a mix of today's UO with that of 6-7 years ago.

G

That's my point....there is NO history that can DIRECTLY correlate to what you were hinting at with your "Persistance" argument. Therefore NEITHER side can give definitive proof and the whole topic of whether a PRE-UOR shard should be introduced or not based on Prior Successes and other precedents is just pointless....

Heh, me and you always go around, don't we?

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

That's my point....there is NO history that can DIRECTLY correlate to what you were hinting at with your "Persistance" argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

A seven year history isn't enough?

A logical Deduction says that if NO MMORPG in seven years has been able to have free for all PvP as a basis for their huge subscriber base, although several have tried and failed, that a Pre Ren Shard will NOT be the huge Subscription draw you all say it is.

So, to be clear, there were no hints in my posts. It's a fact that you are unable to refute, unless you know of a lasting MMORPG that DOES have Dry Looting, Rez Killing, Attack any player, anywhere, regardless of Level, etc.

Otherwise, I suppose you will just tell me I am incorrect, with no proof or substantiation.

But I have come to expect that, sadly.

G

You're missing the point. You have no proof to say that it will fail just as I have no proof to say it will succeed...

G

I've always felt that the Fel/Tram split was a bad move. They should have made seperate Servers instead of Facets. Then we could have a Tram Shard and a Fel Shard. When it comes time to open new Shards they could determine which type needs it the most.

I personally love Tram and never set foot in Fel. I was here in '97 and hated it. Loved Pub 16, and AOS. But that's just me. Everyone has thier own opinions (mine are the only that count of course
)

Just give us some choices in Server type like WoW.

D

DeathByMe

It woud make my heart sing if a dev would comment on this

I don't know how they could not even consider the idea. They could easily gain 100 thousand subscribers. I can think of at least 4 friends just myself who would reactivate accounts, imagine if every other subscriber could think of just 1.

I also don't want to hear about this "we can't put in code from years ago" stuff anymore. It CAN be done, and would be very profitable for EA.

H

Hunter Blackmoon

I am in favor of one or more (depending on how populated it gets) pre UO:R server. However, I feel it is more important to fix the issues on the current servers before such a server is made.

I also agree with Tukaram that the split was a very bad idea. Should they do decide to add pre UO:R servers or Felucca ruleset servers then perhaps it would be time to remove the Fel rules from the current productions shards (excluding SP and Mugen).

This is an ideal balance and everyone gets what they wants: PKs have their own servers and PvMers have their own servers. Consentual PvP can exist on both (Factions, Guild Wars, Other).

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

You're missing the point. You have no proof to say that it will fail just as I have no proof to say it will succeed...

[/ QUOTE ]
No...you are missing the point.

I have a 7 year+ history I can draw on, with statistics and numbers to back them up. 7 years of historical evidence that says "free for all PvP" does NOT last, and is NOT a huge subscriber draw. 7 years of the MOST successful MMORPGs offering mainly Consentual PvP, or no PvP at all. Or at the very, very least, highly successful MMORPGs that do NOT allow the kind of PvP that you say will bring back tons of subscribers.

What do you have to offer as evidence of your claims? Your friends? People that you know? I hold none of my friends or acquaintances up as reasons a Pre UO:R Shard will not do as well as all the proponents say it will. I don't need to.

All I need do is to look at what has historically worked, and not worked, and based on a 7 year history, I would think that should be fairly compelling data. Unless one puts one's head in the sand. Then you might miss it.

N

Nacholicus

I'd join a pre-UO:R shard in a heartbeat.

Also, Surgeries: for someone who has such an adamant hatred of everything PvP or Feluccan, you sure do spend a lot of your time posting in threads that are based on their ideals.

M

Mother May I

<blockquote><hr>

Wonder how people feel about stat loss on a Pre:UOR server...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very, very for it.

G

Stat loss seemed to do the job of controlling the amount of PKs. But I think it did too good a job and, if a Pre-UOR shard was ever created, it should be replaced with something else. What fun is playing a murderer if everytime you die you spend days on end macroing off murder counts? While a penalty is needed, preventing gameplay shouldn't be one of them.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Also, Surgeries: for someone who has such an adamant hatred of everything PvP or Feluccan, you sure do spend a lot of your time posting in threads that are based on their ideals.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't hate PvP.

I hate Non-Consentual PvP.

ESPECIALLY the kind of Non-Consentual PvP that some people really love. A minority of people, that is.

The kind of forced Non-Consentual PvP that WAS UO PreUO:R.

The kind of Forced Non-Consentual PvP Pre UO:R that caused me and my wife to almost quit, having played since Beta.

The kind of Forced Non-Consentual PvP that caused us both to take a 6 month hiatus from the game, until Trammel came out.

So...what were you saying?

M

Mother May I

I used to pk deep in stat.. Loved every minute of it. 'Reds' today arent pk's, murderers etc., theyre just players that like making things dead. Very different play styles.

Nothing like rolling around with 4 other mates deep in stat..

D

Derrick83

How about we actualy have a dev or 2 set up JUST for out 1 shard. With having one and only 1 pre UOR shard... you coudl have mallas and ish and STILL have them full because of hte mass ammount of people palying that one shard.

Ok obviously EVERY single new item introduced after pub 15 wasnt a bad change. Some changes like changes to housing... the stat/skill locks etc were good and NEEDED changes BUT they didnt make it till soon after the pub 16/UOR era.

Why dont we START the shard with the EXACT code that was in tact b4 pub 16. I think that maybe ballor boxes were available then right??? Make a ballot box next to every inn in each town....put popular discussions questions in them and get people who PLAY the shards feedback.

Have a forum with the dev thats incharge of this sahrd on stratics. Bring up topics for change...then put those changes up for vote in-game for the palyers to decide as a majority if the change shoudl be put in or not. Artifacts and such woudl easily be declined by players of the shard if voted on. Thigns like stat/skill locks, bug fixes, house refreshing...etc

Things are coted on by players...some things and changes which would be appropriate and woudl be a definate GOOD addition to the pre-UOR gameplay. Things would be decided by people who play the game and woudl know if somethign woudl be overpowered or not. Some good features that UO has currently could be put in...some thigns that generate activity (champ spawns...ven without PS) would be an idea....but...would be up to the people who paly the shard....

D

Derrick83

why not make a poll... maybe have a mod make it poll of the week or something. "Would you play a pre-UOR shard if one was created?" Advertise it to all your friends on all your shards. All the people who u know that have quit UO but woudl come back for a pre-UOR shard .....get em to make a fast stratics account....make thier vote... if the numbers are overwhelming (which it seems they would be) then maybe they will see...

B

Blind fury

You guys are going to turn this into a straight Trammel Vs. Fel thread, stop fighting.

I

IForgot

I dont feel that a pre-ren shard would do well.... I do feel what we need s a pre-16 shard, back when crafting was good and pvp was still pvp... having a full on pvp ruleset would just cause more trouble due to the fact that some kids cant control themselves :)

K

Kallitcha

I would love to see this happen.

1)A shard with pre pub 16 or earlier.
2)Current customizable house changes w/o teleporter and reimplement locked doors.
3)Temporary stat loss apon death as a red or faction. 8 minute timer instead of the old 20 minute.
4)no item insurance
5)None of the elemental resists, back to the basics. AR &amp; or magic resist.
6)No powerscrolls, all skills cap at 100, back to the 7xgm instead of 6x legendary. continue to allow vet reward of +5 a year caping out at 720.
7)Everyone has stat cap of 225. No stat scrolls.
8) Thiefs can steal anything not newbie.
9)only blessed items are newbie or faction. No more insurnce or PBD(that not everyone got).
10)No control slots, your # of followers is based on your ability to control them.
11)monsters that use to target on movement target again. Ie dragons and deamons.
12)You have to have item lore to identify what an item is again.
13)Mages get med bonus for not wairing ar of anykind. Mages wair heavy metal ar they cant med, leather allows them to med but slower. Dex reduces when you wair AR. Heaver the Ar the more dex is lowered.

Im sure theres a lot more Im just drawing a blank. But pretty much UOR with a few twists. Sometime before pre pub 16.

I

imported_Sip-n-Shine

JCtheBuilder Thank-you. I have played Uo for a long time an miss the good ole days all the time..

I have played alot of other games an not a one of them has done to me what the old Uo has done. I really would like to see a pre ren shard. Now there was a few patches that i didnt like what happened an no i dont know the number either. Well here it is

Houses I like the old styles. I would like to see lockdowns and secures no door keys. Thats just me your house should be your safe place.

Mages casting spells in town they should be able to cast in town. (like i said i dont remember the number but that patch was not my favorite one) It did make fights in town favor the melee style...

I liked the EV and BS from that time and the summoned pets &amp; eles. An other thing i enjoyed was the ability to recall out of trouble.I was jumped by some reds and they got there spells off it was so cool i got off a recall i died in town.

There was a time where reaction time an timming made all the difference in the game.

The rouge class give them there roll that was half the fun. The rouge class need to go right back where they were... There was ways to stops them..

Take mounts back to what they was. I wont say to much here You either was a Horseman or you was not...

Wow my mind is just a reeling about the old days.. There sooo much i liked about back than... I would like to see the old magicresist and all the old magic properties might ruin force power vanq same with the armor...

I remember when you could poison all bladed weapons. {" I would poison my power hally hehe.. I had to just keep it repaired... I think poisoning one handed weapons would be nice.. That was the only down fall of maces but we all know you did all you could not to get hit by a macer.. The damage was awsome and they broke armor and i would like to see that come back....

I said before i dont know the number of the pubs. I would like to see stat and skill locks. I dont want to go thru all that camping again.... Well i know there is alot iam missing but here are just a few things that was back in the good old days...

I would start all over again on a new shard if this was the case.. No char transfers 0 nada Everyone starts over on a new shard.. Sign me up... I would come back and play like i use to and quit the other games i play right now..

I hope this will happen.

C

Chamfort

Replying to last for convienence.

It's much too easy for many people to want some nice things from after AoS and some things from pre-ren. The " i like this feature now but lets incorporate that back then only a bit different" etc. A pure pre-ren shard cant have the cake and eat it too. We need to be hardcore here!!

I dont see no need to debate anything. Just create a shard that is pre-ren and be done with it. All the advantages/disadvantages that came with a pre-ren shard would be there. Anything after Renniasance to me isnt the right feel for UO. Fel/Tram should never have been created, thats where UO losts is luster/ is uniqueness. Thats the heart and soul right there my friends.

Chamfort-(DoC) Great Lakes

D

DragonFar

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
No...you are missing the point.

I have a 7 year+ history I can draw on, with statistics and numbers to back them up. 7 years of historical evidence that says "free for all PvP" does NOT last, and is NOT a huge subscriber draw. 7 years of the MOST successful MMORPGs offering mainly Consentual PvP, or no PvP at all. Or at the very, very least, highly successful MMORPGs that do NOT allow the kind of PvP that you say will bring back tons of subscribers.

What do you have to offer as evidence of your claims? Your friends? People that you know? I hold none of my friends or acquaintances up as reasons a Pre UO:R Shard will not do as well as all the proponents say it will. I don't need to.

All I need do is to look at what has historically worked, and not worked, and based on a 7 year history, I would think that should be fairly compelling data. Unless one puts one's head in the sand. Then you might miss it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're drawing on what numbers?

Go back and read Ea's quarterlies, their sub rate jumped 63 000 accounts with release of uo:R due to their opening of 10+ asian servers. Go read the quarterlies yourself for 1999-2000. They specifically state the increase in population was oriented in those areas. It made no difference what version of UO was released to them, it was simply the fact that it WAS released that gave them those new subscriptions.

FURTHERMORE, 63 000 subs for opening to the asian market is PITIFUL, look at the asian market, millions of gamers, literally MILLIONS. WoW just opened up to the chinese market a few days ago and they're getting pummelled with subscriptions. Not only that but the most hardcore online games with the the most subscribers are FFA pvp, lineage and lineage 2. I just thought I'd point that out to you.

based on your 7 year history of UO, you can see the decline of accounts began outweighing the gaining of accounts during the non-consensual pvp era.

Read how you like, I'll read it how I like.

L

Lady Sexy Metal

Ok, sure. Let the devs make a Pre-UOR Test shard. Couldnt hurt. Problem is, I seriously doubt they have over 7 years of backups. That would be storage from hell. I'll bet they have at most..at most..1 year. But, lets just say they have the ability to code in a Pre-UOR shard.

I think then..to make sure people would want this...
**No character transfers or powerups
**No artis or powerscrolls, nor runics, nor bods
**No insurance
**No Trammel
**The other facets, eh..we need land to move around in. They could keep them, just have to figure something to replace the artis
**Have player bounties

And, then..to to prove people would want to keep playing on the shard. After 1 week, you are given a gump.
#1. If you want to continue playing this shard, then EVERY OTHER character on EVERY OTHER shard is to be automatically deleted. You make a hard core choice.
#2. If you wish to stop playing this shard, then your account will forever be locked out from playing this shard. You make a hard core choice.
#3. There is no third option.

You want the devs to spend the time, and EA to make the servers for this. And we already have too many servers as it is,meaning eventually (as EQ is having to do) there will be server merges. This forces the issue.

If people aren't willing to give up EVERYTHING for this, then really this thread is all talk. Only the REAL people who REALLY want this would do this.

B

BrNz

heh - I still enjoy reading this thread. I won't go into the 'why there won't be a UO:R' as I've already stated it.

Do I like the "idea" of a UO:R facet? Sure it'd be novel to start a char there and watch it die continuously to the gank squad I heard about in the good ol' days.

But.. keep screaming for it... who knows miracles might happen ;)

Why not start one of those online petitions? Not the stratics poll.. but you know where people go to sign.. like keeping the show Enterprise alive?

Show hard numbers to give EA a reason to start this shard - and it better be more then a few hundred names.\

Good Luck with it :)

G

I don't agree with the 1-way path, BUT .... I would like serious restrictions. Perhaps:
1. No character transfers to or from.
2. Maximum 2 characters. Here you to choose carefully ... warrior/mage/tank/crafts

Or perhaps (option #2) - premium shard ...
1. Rules ! &amp; 2 above
2. For each character started there, you incur an additional US$5.00 per month charge to assist in the maintenance of this special environment.

So far in this thread I have relived a lot of memories ... and I've already developed a ruleset in my mind that I would LOVE to play.

Sooo, to answer all the folks that MIGHT ask me "So, would you go for the premium setup?" Answer: ABSOLUTELY!! No problemmo, provided I could accept the rulset. There are certain aspects of pre-UOR I did not appreciate - blue healers, noto killers mainly.

G

How about a minimum 12 month subscription for all people who wanted to play it, just in case it wasn't as much fun as they remembered.

So, after reading most of this thread, seeing that some people want some of the improvements, what it boils down to is a shard with;
No tram, only Fel Britannia.
No Artifacts, or any items much better than GM crafted.
No Necro, pal, sam, ninja etc
No slayer weapons
Some 'realistic' caps on anything like SDI, FC etc (if it exists at all)
No double resources

What about barding ? Difficulty based ?
Are house keys stealable ?

I like the idea of a 'simpler game' where I don't need artifacts to play, where dying and losing my stuff is just an end of a page, not the end of a chapter of a whole book.
I want to be able to buy a new suit of armour for 5k (20 earth elly loots) and jump into the meanest fight.

Rather than a pre UoR shard though, I'd like UO to turn back into this sort of game.

M

Monolithic

Ive got 12 active accounts, tons of bod runners, multiple large houses, and endless mil's. I'd gladly see it all deleted for the chance at a true pre-UO:R shard.

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Anything after Renniasance to me isnt the right feel for UO.

[/ QUOTE ]This is the sort of closed minded view that probably puts the devs off doing something like this. You're basically saying that it's impossible for the devs to do ANYTHING right. This is simply untrue. The UO dev team has made a lot mistakes in the past (Tram/Fel divide and AoS should need no further explanation on this point), but you're idolizing what UO was like back then as if it was some perfect representation of an MMORPG that couldn't be improved or added to in any way without ruining it.

Is it possible to make polls where voters can vote for any or all of the options? I for one would like to see a list compiled of all the major features of UO, from beta to the present day, and have voters tick every feature they'd like to see in this "pre-ren" shard. Everything would be included bar a few decided ones to leave out, such as artifacts, aos item/stats system, and insurance (Hell, these could be left in too maybe just to see if anyone would actually choose to keep them in, it would be interesting to see the result)

L

Lady Sexy Metal

5 characters is fine, with the origiinal skill gain system, it took a long time to hit Gm anything.

reason for the 'give it all up' idea I said...was to see how many people would say heck no. As they used to do for Seige. See, Seige was the 'vacation shard' where people could get away from the prodo-shards, and go try it out.

For all these people that 'want' a Pre16 PreUOR shard, they should really WANT it, and be willing to give up what this current UO offers to go back to the old school ideas. And, thats what this idea does..it separates the people who REALLY, REALLY want it..from the Sorta-want its-would like to try it-but then always go back to the current system.

If the devs are going to make a commitment to even attempt this, a LOT of people have to all show true committment to this. Not just, "YEah..PReUOR! " and play for 2 weeks, then quit to go back and quit. The devs need a long..and I mean LONG term committment for people to stay on the shard.

And you know, the easy way around it? Get a new account. You hate it..quit the account. You don't mess up your old ones. This would benefit EA from...
#1. New accounts..means more $$
#2. If old accounts quit the current shards, they could close down servers, save some more money. (got news for you all..its going to happen someday, and I'll bet within the next couple years)

But, in the end run. I'll say it like someone did before..This shard will most likely never happen. And, sorry..its NOT for the $$ reason, or dev time. You want to know the truth...?

I don't feel the current dev team has the desire to do it, knowing it would actually take work and to be blatantly honest, I don't feel the current dev team, aside from perhaps 2-3 members, has enough skill in coding to pull this off.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't feel the current dev team has the desire to do it, knowing it would actually take work and to be blatantly honest, I don't feel the current dev team, aside from perhaps 2-3 members, has enough skill in coding to pull this off.

[/ QUOTE ]

RIght up until this last sentence your post was realy good.
This bit just sounds like a whine, or maybe some odd attempt to goad them into trying it.

Do you know the dev team, have you seen their CVs, do you know their coding experience ?
It's just damned insulting to them, d not constructive, and a very good reason why this sort of thread has been banned for so long.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Wonder how people feel about stat loss on a Pre:UOR server...?

[/ QUOTE ]

No thanks, Siege never had stat loss and noone missed it. Siege was doing great before they started to ruin it with powerhour and with more facets together alot other bad code like UO:R and AoS.

G

Goetia

quote]
It's just damned insulting to them, d not constructive, and a very good reason why this sort of thread has been banned for so long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this maybe true, but if enough people feel this way then maybe there is an underlining problem that needs to be examined. Just locking threads because they hurt the devs feelings is not right.

BTW - I would make a Pre Ren shard my new home - even through it would havew no necromancy!

G

Goetia

<blockquote><hr>

What about barding ? Difficulty based ?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I frist started playing UO, barding was based on the formula :
(provo + music)/2 = success %

I would like to see it this way again...just like the good ol'days

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't hate PvP.

I hate Non-Consentual PvP.

ESPECIALLY the kind of Non-Consentual PvP that some people really love. A minority of people, that is.

The kind of forced Non-Consentual PvP that WAS UO PreUO:R.

The kind of Forced Non-Consentual PvP Pre UO:R that caused me and my wife to almost quit, having played since Beta.

The kind of Forced Non-Consentual PvP that caused us both to take a 6 month hiatus from the game, until Trammel came out.

So...what were you saying?

[/ QUOTE ]

*Gives Surgeries a big hug*

You sure need to learn not to see a devil in every PK, you and your wife should try to make a char on Siege and see if it really are so bad as you remember. You can't compare the Felucca we have now to the one we had in 1997 where all was on same facet.

Remember it's only your char who get killed, it's not you and trust me, a little RP do have a possitive effect on most Siege PK's

G

Frankly, as said before by someone above, its not impossible for them to make a server with old rules.

Just hard... *shrug* Either way, I'd be all for one..

A

aoskilleduo

I know this is unpopular to even mention.....but there are "Player run shards" with these rules already in place.....

V

V(r6)dubEr

Hemi is right what would be good is a pre pub 16 or say early uo:r rules w/o tram shard. but add things to it that are from current uo like custom houses, Keep artifacts but they would be like [axe of the heavens] Indestrucable/supreamly accurate/vanquishing. Back then i would have loved to have a palley or a necro or a sammi dont know about ninja but heck maby that too in fact necro was an idea long before aos. There were alot of great additions and inprovements to the game since aos the little things, context menus , guild, the virtues that work, new tameables, tok weapons not tarties, it would be like if uo kept to its roots but still evolved? if uo woulda stopped at t2a i probbaly would have quit and not from pks but from boredom.

G

Indeed, but they lack the feel of the real thing. Also, its hard to find one that lasts a good amount of time without going down..

Not that I've played them

S

Spelunk

It occurs to me that there would be ALLOT more people supporting this idea here if so many old-timers hadn't left UO because of all the Post-UO: R problems.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of Pre-UO: R players that have moved on to other games that would LOVE to play the good-old, best version of UO again.

D

DisIllusionist

Pre-pub 16 would be good I think with some modifications but definitely no uber weapons/armor.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I dont feel that a pre-ren shard would do well.... I do feel what we need s a pre-16 shard, back when crafting was good and pvp was still pvp... having a full on pvp ruleset would just cause more trouble due to the fact that some kids cant control themselves :)

[/ QUOTE ]

Some kids can't control them self?
Sinse when do the char show the players age?
How do you know the age of the pne who PK you?
I know alot reds and did in the Pre:UO days too and I can tell you the avg PK age is between 20-25 years.

It's higher on Siege where we do have a full PvP ruleset, I will think the avg age is 25+ on Siege, I know very few reds younger than 20 year.

G

Like Rob says, up until the last sentence you made very good arguments for your choice - and showed good alternative to handle it without damage to current accounts. Made me rethink my stance.

However, keep in mind that on the corporate foodchain, Devs do not always have the final say in what will or will not come to pass. They're just messengers many time. Don't smack the messenger because the news is bad, you know?

Who knows ... maybe this thread will get the attention a lot of us would like the issue to have. There are some really good arguments as to why something like this is desired. &lt;shrug&gt;

E

EekTheCat

I would love a pre-UOR shard. Would get rid of all of these AOS nubs that think they have turned into gods after powerscrolls and arties, people that nobody had even heard of pre-AOS. I miss the old days as well, even though a good portion of my time was spent in town
. However, after I joined my technically first guild K^R, I had a blast pvping.

I just dont see why they wont entertain the thought of having a preUOR shard, would bring a good amount of old vets back. Come on EA/OSI or whoever's butt I have to kiss to make one.

I would like to see custom houses still in, but a big NO to arties, powerscrolls, ethy's hell even bonded pets, etc.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

you're drawing on what numbers?

[/ QUOTE ]
The numbers that say UO, with free for all Non-Con PvP has NEVER hit 400K subs.

The numbers that say that ANY other successful MMORPG out there (i.e. Persistent, and with more than 400K subs), do NOT offer what everyone SAYS will make a Pre Ren shard great; absolutely unfettered PvP. The numbers that say that PvP that is either Consentual, or at the VERY least, a LOT more structured and fair, is FAR more popular than Free for All PvP, as offered by UO.

The numbers that say that MMORPGs that DID try this type of ruleset failed.

I believe firmly that the resources needed to do this would only be pleasing a small microcosm of the UO playerbase, and that a Pre-Ren Shard will NOT be bringing back 150K or more subs, or anything close to that number, as has been claimed.

Of course, that is just MY opinion

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

You sure need to learn not to see a devil in every PK, you and your wife should try to make a char on Siege and see if it really are so bad as you remember. You can't compare the Felucca we have now to the one we had in 1997 where all was on same facet.

[/ QUOTE ]
We have two chars on Siege.

Both are Ghosts. Both were PKed within 10 minutes of being born, and dry looted.
<blockquote><hr>

Remember it's only your char who get killed, it's not you and trust me, a little RP do have a possitive effect on most Siege PK's

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I knew that I don't die when my character dies. But Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.