• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The "Official" word on Tinker Traps

P

Pfredd

As has already been posted several times, OSi has finally made an OFFICIAL statement on the legality of tinker trapped boxes that can go off just by opening them (no lock picking required).

See the <a target="_blank" href=http://uo.stratics.com/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?newsid997558731,15009,>UOSS news Article</a> for more details.

Pfredd Mudd
UOSS News Manager
Moderator of UO Carpentry & UO Tinkering

C

Cennedi

Please shoot me now.

Oohh no wait. Let me open this crate instead.

K

Kofu

for the lazy who hate clicking links here the relevant part:

<blockquote><hr>

OK so there are ways to make Tinker Trapped boxes that have the trap armed but not locked so they will be set off when opened. Is it legal to make these, I only ask because it involves turning the box in certain directions and unlocking, No real exploits here I would think.

Is it Illegal to carry these in Fel.

Is it Illegal to carry these in Tram.

Is it Illegal to set these on the ground in Fel with the intent of killing a curious person.

Is it Illegal to set these on the ground in Tram with the intent of killing a curious person. (I wouldn't see why not as people should be ware what they are picking up anyway).

Is it Illegal if a looter gets killed when looting the box from your corpse in Tram or Fel.

If not then I think there should be a Legal method to create tinker trapped boxes that are useful. Lets face it, The trap doesnt do much good if you cant open the box cause it's locked.

Canyon replied :

It is legal to trap a chest as you describe. I will not give out details on how to make these, nor will a GM in game.

However, it is illegal to use these to kill someone in Trammel, unless you have highlighting with them. Otherwise, you are pking someone in Trammel, which is a clear rule violation.

So:
It is legal to carry these in Felucca.
It is legal to carry these in Trammel.
It is legal to set these on the ground in Felucca with the intent of killing a curious person.
It is illegal to set these on the ground with the intent of killing someone on Trammel.
It is legal if the looter on Felucca is killed by looting your corpse and opening the chest.
It is illegal to use one for the clear purpose of killing a looter on Trammel. If you are minding your own business and you die, that's okay. It becomes illegal if the support team recognizes that your character just "happens" to die with trapped chests on them all the time. I don't want players making kamikaze newbies that carry around trapped chests and die just so they can blow looters up. I hope the distinction for this one is clear. We're looking at intent as much as outcome.

In the dread lord days, I was a mad bomber with tinker trapped chests, so I'm happy to see them (mostly) legal again.

<hr></blockquote>

<center>

R

Rikko2001

Re: It is illegal to place them on the ground in Trammel with the intent to kill someone.

How about:

Trammel, in public tower with lots of goodies, a locked down, insta kill trapped, unlocked chest in the open just waiting for a curious player. (My son found it, he followed a rune placed in another vendor shop to this tower)

Hard to prove intent, but why else was it there and locked down.
No loss, got my son's stuff back, but it was disconcerting...is he not allowed to explore public places anymore? I mean, if its locked, he picks it, and goes boom, tough luck buddy..but an unlocked chest....

C

Connor_MacCloud

We once had an almost insta kill trap in my mates Tower (Calador was his name and he's just GMed tinkering on his new account).
The tower was unlocked
We used to play a type of Russian Roulette by double clicking on it....somtimes we'd die sometimes we wouldnt....UO got very boring at one stage in our UO life

If my sig appears as a little red box then YES it is supposed to be a little red box

Carry on....

T

T. G. Cid

Like it or not, I think your son was too curious for his own good. Anything in a house may be trapped to keep out snoopers. I personally dislike people looking through my posessions. Even if the chest was put there with the intent to blow someone up, no one told your son to open it. Just make sure to tell your son to be more careful.

When I was a newbie someone confused me with another person and asked me to help move fish steaks to the Empath Abbey. My pet cat followed me to Gorton's boat and he did not allow my cat on (first bad sign). Second bad sign was "raise anchor, forward". I was wrongly killed, mistaken for another person. "Next time don't disrespect Captain Delacey!" But you know what? I learned how to be smarter and cautious from that experience. Hopefully your son did too.

The main problem I see with UO right now is that new players don't have pks to break them in... They aren't used to loss (report looters to GMs for example) and are far too trusting. They get scammed and most of the time they don't know it. And really, there's little we can do about it.

I personally have a gm tinker trapped poison small crate in my house dyed bright green with a skull sitting on top of it. Anyone who cannot take a hint from that probably deserves to die. My personal opinion is...if you want to snoop around in my house looking at my stuff, be prepared to find more than you bargained for.

<blockquote><hr>

Shawn -- 6xGM Bard/Rogue
Cid -- 0xGM Grumpy Old Man
And about 2 dozen gimp characters /php-bin/shared/images/icons/jestera.gif

<hr></blockquote>

C

clairekaz

Mmmmmmm one of my characters got killed
in Trammel by a booby trapped chest, but
nothing showed re murder count?

If this happens are you meant to report the
incident to a GM?.........Claire:)

A

Ahab Farland

if set right and in a proper place the tinker will not get a count.

S

Shaithis

My warrior blundered over one of these on the ground in Trammel and died. I didn't freak, though. I headed for Felucca, and started thinking up various ways of getting other people to open it. I'm 1-for-1 on attempts so far. Bwa ha ha.

A

Adriel

So only the tinkers that make these get murder counts and stuff? If i make one of these traps and give it to my warrior and my warrior sets it off in trammel, my warrior wont turn gray and get murder count?

S

speedman

I stupidly opened one in Trammel and promptly got killed. I even tried to stand far enough away and use Telekinesis but didn't stand far enough away i guess.

Anyways, moral of the story: I got to report a murder. Now whether or not it was given to the trapper of the chest I don't know. Not fun being PK'd, esp in a non-PK zone ;-)

A

alkaiser88

I was kind've getting bored with my tinker,
heheheheheheheheheheheheheh,
Im not bored with him anymore

T

Tangee

So if I sell these trap boxes on my vendor I can become a murderer?

T

TamerSage

No, unless you go into a time machine and log on in 1998

G

I get a "news error" when I click on the link in the first post, but it is 6 years old, so I guess that explains it.

<blockquote><hr>

So only the tinkers that make these get murder counts and stuff? If i make one of these traps and give it to my warrior and my warrior sets it off in trammel, my warrior wont turn gray and get murder count?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I have a GM tinker on Siege...and I have tested my trapped boxes o'death on a friend, multiple times. He says he doesn't get a murder prompt when he dies from my boxes. Not sure how it is in Trammel though, as I've never really played there.

-Skylark

J

Jack Tallow

As the Mad Tinker of Sonoma (TM), a few pointers...

Never use explosion crates for an insta-kill. They are unreliable. Sometimes they'll whack a full 70's suit for 200 damage, sometimes they'll just scratch the poor fellow.

Deadly poison and gm tinkering is the way to go. The only template I;'ve seen survive this is high level bushido templates using that goofy healing thing they can do. You know, the one that goes Whoooosh-BANG and they heal.

Plus, the real hilarity ensues when they figure out that gm chivalry, magery, and cure pots won't cure it except for a VERY small percentage of the time. Call me a sadistic barstid, but I love watching the panic set in as they try and fix those spasms and realize they are truly screwed.

Oh, and the tinker gets the murder counts. I dropped tink, poison and alchemy on my trapper for stealth (so I can sit around and actually watch my work) and my darned crafter went red.... back to the old drawing board.

And yes, they are illegal. I had a little talk with our friends in red over a crate that I DID NOT place in trammel, it merely had my maker's mark on it. It was taken from my home by a guildmate and left in trammel. So, yeah, it is an exploit to use them in trammel, and the DO take it rather seriously. That still doesn't stop it from being hilarious.

EDIT: I think the murder thing from crates is currently broken. For now, the tinker will not get a count, from what I know. They say they are fixing it, but it's been that way for about a year, so I'll bet it NEVER gets fixed

Y

your_average_joe

A couple questions. . .

"It is illegal to use one for the clear purpose of killing a looter on Trammel. If you are minding your own business and you die, that's okay. It becomes illegal if the support team recognizes that your character just "happens" to die with trapped chests on them all the time. I don't want players making kamikaze newbies that carry around trapped chests and die just so they can blow looters up. I hope the distinction for this one is clear. We're looking at intent as much as outcome."

1. I'm confused by this. First off, aside from killing guildies or members of warring guilds, how do you loot in trammel? If someone has looting rights to you and I have a trapped chest on there (even with the intentions to kill) and they're dumb enough to open that chest then they're dumb enough to open that chest. I don't see the issue there.

2. If I make a trapped chest and give it to a friend and my friend places it in trammel and kills someone, who will get in trouble? (I assume it would need to be reported.)

I always thought the trapped chest death in tram was an important part of the game. I know I've learned the hard way to be cautious about what things I open and what things I don't open. Seems like people should be exposed to it. Just my take.

G

You lock/trap it, rotate it with the deco tool (must be locked down to do this, obviously), then magic unlock it (requires GM Magery for GM Tinkered traps, I think) or simply lockpick it.

It's then armed and unlocked while it's oriented the way you turned it. If you turn it back it won't work. If you want one you can drop on the ground, it's best to use a large crate as they don't turn when dropped.

G

I wouldn't bother selling them except by request, then you know with whom you're dealing.

G

Cant get that trick to work fink......Put trap on box, lock box, lock box down in house, turn box, cast "unlock" on box.... Nothing.....I can just open it as a normal box.... no trap.....

G

This is crazy......why dont they just let us trap it instead of all this crap you have to go thru. The big chests will rotate as well when you drop them!

G

well this was a looooong time ago but I had a bomber before PVM and I got murder count everytime

G

<blockquote><hr>

You lock/trap it, rotate it with the deco tool (must be locked down to do this, obviously), then magic unlock it (requires GM Magery for GM Tinkered traps, I think) or simply lockpick it.

It's then armed and unlocked while it's oriented the way you turned it. If you turn it back it won't work. If you want one you can drop on the ground, it's best to use a large crate as they don't turn when dropped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used me treasure hunter to pick the lock. it instantly went off? There has got to be a way to un lock them without them going off. Unless we are stil not allowed to arm unlocked chests?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I think they changed that so it has to be locked and you have to try to pick it

G

They had changed it when PVM came out but at the first of this forum it says they are changing it back