• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The new bulletin board

Pcuvush

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Does publish 85.5 really turn the bulletin board read-only for all but governors?

The way I see it right now is that only one message (the last message posted) is visible for each town. No history of past messages is available. Noone may answer. It is purely informatory. Further, the former history, when citizens were able to post, is no longer available.
While everyone may see the latest (and only the latest) news by checking any town's board now, some functionality has been removed. I recently granted titles to citzens of Moonglow and encouraged them to post at the bulletin board about their business affairs. Like the zoo director announcing if more funding is required, the herald posting when the next event will be held, and so on. I actually got feedback from citizens and office holders started to use the board.

If the current state is meant to be the final state, I want the old bulletin board back in some way. Pin it to the wall of the governors office, please. It could function completely independent of the new board, which also has it's benefits. But it is more like an announcement mechanism than for communication.

BadBart

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I dont like it. As the Gov of moonglow on Atlantic my Citizens cannot post anymore

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We need to improve this board, and bring back the old one. Having a forum for our citizens to bring things to our attention is required.

Also Bugs with new board:
  • Titles can be so long they trail off and you can't read the full thing, if there is no body.
  • Bodies are not required, this makes it look like a message is there but it isn't
  • Titles are not required, this means you can have a message but no body will look.

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the new board as a one stop announcement option, you can see headlines from all cities from any city your in. That's cool!
I would like to have an old style BB either at the Governor's office or next to the other at the bank, IN a different hue if side by side.
If at the Governor's office I would plead for it NOT to be stuck to the side of the building but staked into the yard or such. They function
but are not the most attractive add-on pieces and our little houses would look dwarfed in comparison.
Glad you pointed out the bugs Speranza I haven't run into them yet but didn't actually see what it's limits were.
Tanda Knighthawke -Governor of Minoc- Great Lakes

Pcuvush

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
In Moonglow we are using the existing bulletin board inside of The Scholar's Inn for now.

It would be great if that board would be attached to the governors office. For Moonglow it is working as it is, though, since the inn and the office are close. It's just a matter of finding it, if you don't know that we are using this board.

That type of board is even better than the old one, since you can reply to specific posts, as well as starting a new thread. And it is more convenient to write the text. Support of deleting and editing your own posts would make it even better. There might be other concerns, like whether it scrolls down to the latest thread, if more than a page full of threads exists, or how to find new entries even if they are replies to other posts. Maybe that will be addresses when the feedback concerning the board is reviewed and worked on.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In Moonglow we are using the existing bulletin board inside of The Scholar's Inn for now.
That sounds just about perfect! I actually didn't know this functionality existed in game. In fact... That may be server specific for you guys. What server are you able to use the board like that on?

I just tested the Scholar Inn on Chesapeake and nothing happens when I use it. Similarly there is a bulletin board graphic in The Barnacle (Minoc's Pub) but it doesn't do anything as well. :shots:

Pcuvush

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I just tested the bulletin board inside the Scholar's Inn on Chesapeake. I was able to add a message - using the Classic Client.

In the meantime I found some bugs regarding that board. I spammed a few entries on Test Center to get it filled for testing purposes. In some cases it eats the last character in some fields (I observed that in name, subject, and message fields). Also, the distance between entries are sometimes too broad. Nevertheless, it works up to a certain degree.

I added a screenshot (my very first character, btw.; I started on Chesa and moved to Drachenfels after the european servers opened). I opened the board, clicked on "post message", entered subject and message (the 's' at the end is missing due to forementioned bug), and clicked on 'post'. After that I closed and opened the board again, double clicked on the old entry, clicked 'reply' and what you see on the screen shot is the result.

Attachments

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm.... If it's a classic only client functionality then that sucks.... I don't even have it installed.... hehe

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The reason we were asking for some limited town crier type ability was so that people could hear our news and events without any effort on their part--just like we asked for governors offices that we could actually do something meaningful with.

Changing the bulletin boards to their current functionality did exactly the same thing that adding the useless governors' offices did for player communication--nothing. (I've never used the Vesper office--it's on the other end of the city from where people ever go!) People still don't bother reading the boards, and now they can't even leave a message for their city's governor on them.

Why is it that every change to this system is a step sideways or backwards? The voting change was terrible, and now the bulletin boards. What happened to this? We got half of it and lost all the previous functionality which, while limited, at least allowed some kind of dialogue back and forth.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the new boards can be used fairy effectively if all the governors actually use them to announce what's going on in their cities. That being said I would still like to see city specific boards set up somewhere that function at least the same as the old ones did. Perhaps at the offices in each city or beside the new ones.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In addition, I do believe that the Governor's Offices should have been more strategically placed so they are closer to where the City Herald's are. Then it would make more sense to put the Bulletin Boards inside the Governor's Offices.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The boards were created To facilitate a flow of conversation between the governor and his/her citizens. A conversation is a two way thing, you have rendered the board useless for it's intended purpose and again alienated the two. Please add another board fir this purpose!

I love the new board, but you should have created a separate unique board to fill it's purpose!