• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) The musings of Lord Sparrow.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once again Lord Sparrow found himself at his desk considering the state of the Kingdom. It would seem that the King did not consider his recent plea worthy of action despite the stability and continuity it would bring to the Kingdom should there be a prince or two to succeed the King. Marriage would also bring companionship and warmth on those long cold winter nights, but sobeit.

Sparrow had heard mutterings and complaints regarding the King albeit these had not yet become general. This was hardly fair, there should be some recognition of the fact that Blackthorn was not of royal blood, he had never been trained in the skills and attributes of Kingship. The position had been thrust upon him and without background knowledge of his role how could he not make mistakes?, indeed it is pehaps surprising he had not made more.

It is not possible to say to someone 'You are now a King' and expect them to be one. Many and varied are the skills required. An heir to the throne is TRAINED in these skills, brought up to use them and slowly given more royal duties to fit them to the situation. Indeed this was one of the reasons I made my appeal to the King for such a position to be introduced to Sosaria. One such skill which must be learnt is to put the Realm first before personal considerations. I had hoped that this might induce the King to wed for the benefit of the Kingdom rather than considering his own personal preferences. He really should consider what would happen to Sosaria should he be gone.

Still we must accept that this King WILL make mistakes if he is to eventually become a good King. This man must LEARN to be a King. Let us then be patient and give him time to do so.

Last edited:

Alaster The Insane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*writes a letter to Lord Sparrow after seeing his message*

You may be right man, you may be right.
But remember Kings are trained, learned to be so.
Until now, our King has been patiently, unconditionnaly listening to us. You know my positions on Chaos...
Well, if even Chaos person can't even follow those precepts, who will ?
I know Virtues are really important to you. But we have to look toward realm unity.
That King realised it, some goons are planning the opposite... We'll see. But i hope a chance for our King.

*signs : friendly yours,
Alaster*

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sparrow attended the latest Council meeting which unusually began by us all running to the castle entrance to deal with one of Bladderstick's minions who was attacking the arriving guests. He was summarily despatched but it is of some concern the they feel confident enough to wander round our Capitol at will.

Now to the real point of this missive, the Council Meeting.

I must admit I am amazed at the latitude given by the King to these governors. Each one quite obviously puts forward their own take on the current situation and the actions they think the King should take. So the King often has 8 different viewpoints each one of which may not be similar in content. It seems to me that having given their opinion they feel that the King should immediately drop all other concerns and attend theirs. They often seem disrespectful of the Kings majesty and position. They seem to forget that Governors are appointed, Kings are anointed. A King rules, subjects follow his rulings. Governors suggest, Kings COMMAND. As I said at the meeting this is a Kingdom NOT a democracy. A King is an absolute ruler with the power of life and death over his subjects. The King IS the LAW.

It would appear that there is insufficient gold in the Treasury to finance increasing the Royal Navy. The Governors seem to be in agreement that increasing the fleet would be a good thing, but the suggestion of a Ship Tax to finance the building of one was met with universal noes. As a subject myself of the King, if he wishes to impose a ship tax, I would pay it. The King should be making decisions based on what is good for the Kingdom, not on the wishes of the governors. A Council Meeting is not a popularity contest. Our King struggles to accommodate the wishes of all which is, of course, impossible. Unpopular decisions have ever been the bane of rulers but HAVE to be made for the sake of the Kingdom and the King, in the final analysis, is the one who HAS to make them.

Our King, it seems, wishes to be loved and tries to be fair but in my view it is fine for a King to be loved and respected but they should also be a little feared. Their power is absolute, none can gainsay a King, and this is how it should be.

I said a little of this at the meeting and heard someone remark that 'people rebel' . This is true, but only in extremis when the ruler is a despot or a tyrant. I would hope the people of this realm would have more sense than to rebel and replace a good man with a 'Council'? each member of which wishes his own concerns to be paramount. That way lies true Chaos.