• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Future of UO

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The client is the FRONTEND of the game. It is what the game is judged by when people see the box in the shelves or look at screenshots on the web. It is the most important factor that will determine if EA finally can win new customers for UO, and if UO can flourish once again to a new golden age.

If this time they do it right, UO actually has a good chance to win thousands of new players, as (from a content point of view) it is one of the best and versatile MMORPGs on the market already.

If I had to design a new client, I would focus on:
  • adopting most of the legacy client functionality and handling
  • enhancing this functionality with important features like hotbars, better macros, map functionality, etc. Just stuff every modern game offers today.
  • doing a GREAT job concerning artwork (this is what new players look at!)
  • excellent QA to make sure it has few bugs and runs with good performance (KR ran well a few months ago, but meanwhile it has become slower)

Actually, I would even think about finally letting the old client die, if the new one is really really good. I know, some old-timers would whine about it. But I'd rather lose 100 veteran players and gain 10,000 new players at the same time, instead of carrying this old crap around for another year. The old client inhibits innovative changes to UO, and THAT is a problem! (One reason why Windows is a crappy operating system is that they try to be compatible to 10 year old software and do not dare to cut off old technologies.)
Also, having 2 different clients always means, that one client will do a certain thing better than the other. Today, you cannot PvP with KR, as you have slight disadvantages. If (hypothetically) there was no 2D client, it actually would be balanced again.

IF THEY DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME, UO WILL ONCE AGAIN FLORISH!

The lack of new players is the root of many of our problems in UO today. This needs to be solved with top priority!

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope they have a big list of lessons learned, but I'll just add a few thoughts here (some may just be my own quirks):

* people who have been playing for a couple of years are VERY sensitive to a difference in performance (KR is far, far more demanding of resources than a tile-based game should be)
* housebuilders are very sensitive to differences in art (example pet peeve: fishing nets)
* a number of interfaces (bulletin boards, dye gump, tracking gump) abandoned in a broken state.
* UI should avoid 2-handed key/click-combos (shift-left click to get the menu to allow quest item toggling is an instant turn-off in the intro quest)
* freedom backpack layout has to look the same in both clients or its not worth going to the trouble to implement (book layouts/behaviour differences are also very frustrating)

* not really a client issue, but history, history, history ... UO has such a rich history, but it's actually rather hard to find it ingame unless you stumble across a well-maintained player museum