• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Event The Feast Of Death Shall Continue! (Sun 9th March, PvP Event)

EM Gotan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran

So, ye ignorant fools, ye think you have defeated I, the mighty Memen Tomor recently; but where ever there is discord and death, I shall always be there! And although for now it is true that I can only watch from a distance thy peaceful ways in Trammel, in the lands of murder and mayhem I still hath power! And there my summons to slaughter shall be honoured oh most bloodily! Thus I issue the following challenge;
Bring me your bodies. Bring me your weapons. Slay each other mercilessly. Please the eternal Memen Tomor, and the best amongst you will be rewarded! Or killed again, as my will dictates at the time. I hereby lay down the following rules;

Europa 2014 Last Man Standing Competition

1.) There will be gates at Yew Gate Felucca and Buccaneers Den Felucca at 8pm GMT time.

2.) Don't bring anything you can't afford to lose. There will be death, and ye may not get thy body back

3.) Do not fight between bouts, or before Memen is ready to savour thy deaths. Those who do will not be moved to the arena and will be disqualified from his favour.

4.) Once the signal is made, wade into each other violently. Fight with thy friends if ye wish, Memen will make sure to point out who you are and encourage everyone else to cudgel you first.

5.) Hiding and delaying your inevitable gory fate displeases Memen. His minions will be watching out for and revealing you loathesome sneaks.

6.) Pets fighting on your behalf will not be welcome; Ye may ride a horse or similar 1 slot, non combat pet if ye must, but if Memen wanted to see the death of lower creatures, he would have gone to the petting zoo, and murdered the fluffy creatures there, and then laughed at the upset children

7.) You will stay dead until one man is left standing. That man (or woman, Memen is an equal opportunities murderer), will go into the final round. There will be 4 elimination rounds and one final round to prove the best of the 4 survivors.

8.) Memen will officially recognise these final 4 fiends. But displease Memen, waste his time with your antics, and he will move on to other dimensions with more appreciation for organised death.

Obey and feed the lusts of Memen Tomor! Be there on the 9th... and die!

Last edited:

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would suggest preventing summons for the last man standing event as a few colossus's would decimate individuals easily. And watch out for Dread Mare / Nightmare if people are allowed to bring pets personally if its a closed area there would be no reason for mounts at all thus just enforce a no pet policy.

Loppy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This event was a great success and the vast majority of people enjoyed it thoroughly.

I would like to say that whilst the event started off shaky, it was well recovered by "Memen". He learned from the mistakes of the initial round and used the information to improve the following rounds.

It was one person in charge of 30-40 players, therefore some Chaos is expected (and dare I say hoped for? It is Fel after all)

Rule-breaking began with Pro resing inside the Arena and then res killing and fighting outside the arena, however the repercussions of this rule-breaking did not impact the fights, it merely disrupted the fluency of the event.

Pro clearly had the advantage with numbers, having more players than every other guild combined, not to mention the fact they had at least 3 stealthers (which I thought was not allowed) and were regularly summoning pixies and colossus's. Greater dragons are easy to deal with and perhaps a hindrance in some cases, it is easy to focus the tamers first and he is forced to be dismounted. Pro also could have used dragon slayers to kill the greater dragon then.

The first round was won by Chaz the Awesome.

The second round was won by I am Magic Tang.

The third round was won by Skull-Fudger.

The final took place in a secret area and after 20 minutes of fighting a winner could not be decided.

I would like to kindly request that the plaque be moved to a more regularly visited place to commend the feats accomplished. Currently the plaque is at Buccs Bank that is rarely visited and I would like to suggest moving the plaque to Brit Bank fel (as this bank is regularly visited for PK's to get arcane spell weaving circles). Also from what I have seen in tram; Brit bank is fairly customisable.

We do not have many PvP events on Europa and it would be a shame if the achievement was to go unnoticed. For example of Lake Superior there is a statue at Yew Gate commending a PvP victory.

Hopefully arrangements can be made to move the plaque to Brit Bank, maybe not in pride of place, but perhaps inside the bank?

I would like to thank EM Gotan again, and hope that he continues with the PvP events. He did not have to take his time to organise the event and the majority of the shard made it EXTREMELY difficult for him, by arguing and disobeying him. He was very professional in his conduct and organisation.

He learned very fast during this event and any following events will only get better I'm sure.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thought I'd come here and have a look and post.
Not been on these forums for maybe 10 years.

EM Gotan did a great job, and like above poster says, none of us really listened, and we were just pvping, with all rivalries plain to see.
VP could have been there, it could have been worse!

From my perspective, the biggest issue was the no teleport ruleset in that dungeon, it made movement extremely cramped, and became a field fest.
Para/energy/poison fields in such a cramped environment made it lethal, I personally prefer the ability to move around a bit, ie run - the fights in the corridors outside were much more fluid, hence that's what we were doing.

My second issue, was having us all start the first battle in a tight room together. There seemed to be about 20 pro, 5 w and 5 sl to start. These numbers changed as the evening went on, pro went down, and w/sl/blues went up. There were 4 rooms available, we would have done better to find our own starting point. The initial battle was all about 20 pro fielding down 5 blues, didn't really stand a chance in there, did our best however. sl held the door, and blocked anyone leaving. I broke the rules here also, I ghosted out behind sl, and used sacrifice to self ress in an empty room, and brought us back into the fight. But in the situation, that was fair enough.

I think the above post is a little anti pro, not their fault they had numbers, or were organised, or won the first battle.
They let themselves down a bit at the end, but who didn't.

As I've never been to these forums, I had not read the rules, I didn't know them, and I don't think many did, so yes we were breaking the rules, and playing in what we would consider normal pvp rules.

Overall, EM gave it a good effort, it was far more intense than I had planned on! There were areas it could have been better but like the guy said, we had chances to give feedback, it's just that very few of us read or post here.

Loppy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Following on from my post and in an attempt to hopefully help create many more PvP events, I would like to help contribute and offer advice for future events.

I was unaware of these posts, and was unaware of the rules. Had I have seen the posts before I would have been in contact and offered some valuable input, as would many of my guild mates.

EM Gotan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Hi again all, a little feedback for you too before bed;

1.) Memen Tomor, or someone with an equal love of violence and death will be back to Felucca in the future, don't worry about that!

2.) Especially as it was an excellent crash course in handling events for your side of play! A lot of vital lessons learned.

3.) But Memen's got a lot of thinking to do, in particular I'm not sure outside of the PvP Arenas that sort of mass fight can be handled completely automatically. My current feeling is some sort of running battle in open terrain would be better, as well as avoiding the issues of field casting etc. As I hope you all heard, any suggestions would be welcomed. Someone in chat mentioned Ilshenar as a spot for a fight?

4.) The original rules were from some of the suggested feedback I'd got on making fun PvP fights from one player, but they simply weren't enforceable at the time I'm afraid. Given a choice between wasting your time and giving you some fun, I went with fun.
However during the first fight, I removed the Dragon 4 times, only for it to Summoning Ball back despite it's owner being wailed on by 30 people, and whilst I was chasing the dragon (legally officer!) I wasn't watching you resurrect your friends, you dirty cheating rotters. Removing ghosts was easier to enforce than No Summons etc, especially when someone (I forget who) pointed out I could use corpse names to record who had died when I might not have seen it...

5.) Likewise I expected some teaming up, but both Pro in the first round and the eventual finalists in the last match all refused to fight for Last Man Standing honours. Who knew there were such strong bonds of softness and friendship in Felucca?!

6.) Which leads into the balance issue; I'm neither Pro nor Anti-Pro, but dividing you for each round as such the simplest and most obvious way to get people to see which side they were on, and kept the fights going , which all of you hopefully could enjoy. Pro actually had 2 more players at the start, which is the only reason I went with it; had it made for unfair fights, on paper at least, I'd have had to think of something else. How they shook out in practice was a mixture of guild politics, individual skill, and dirty cheating rottenness... basically Felucca in a nutshell :p

7.) How were the Ratspawn of Memen though? They didn't seem killable or doing much damage, but they were randomly finding hidden players, which was what I'd hoped for. That might prove useful in future events on both facets... although as mentioned, using them to enforce "rules" on PvP is probably out due to the impossibility of locking down all templates outside of the dedicated Arenas. Using them for TF2 style "spychecking" may be a possibility though! Need to think on that.

7.) The elephant in the room; that claimed F word. Here's the simple answer; By the end it had degenerated into chaos and simply to try and get a clean wrap up, I moved the 3 finalists to another map, and one other player who was Twitching the event, in order that others could still watch it all the same. As mentioned, although they had together survived Pro and Anti-Pro as a group, they wouldn't fight even for a plaque all to themselves! Whilst telling them how this displeased almighty Memen, I was asked to move someone from the older room to avoid Statloss. I explained I had to be careful to avoid favouritism, and later clarified that this meant I wasn't there to manipulate game mechanics for individuals. This is all the comment was referring too.

8.) Moving the Plaque? Maybe, but my thinking is Fel events should be available to blues and reds, because I'd like you all to attend, so the rewards and records of what happens for you should be so accessible to you all too; you can't get to the EM Museum in Malas on a red, so I was wondering about a long-term location for one Felucca side... so maybe Bucs Den?

What I'm not going to do, blue or red side, is shove records of people's accomplishments in everyone's faces by putting them in Luna or Britain ... that No.7 point again :p

9.) None of this is authorative or final, and I'm still both responsible to the wider EM Program, and we EMs in turn develop and grow alongside you, our community. Any issues you still have with tonight's event may as always be emailed in to the Dark Lady who rules all at [email protected].

Any further suggestions for me may be sent here in PM form, emailed to [email protected], or submitted via the Europa.uoem.net page

Last edited:

Loppy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Couple of points I can make, fielding is an essential part of mass PvP, but having a more open area would facilitate better and more interesting fights. I would definitely suggest an open field for the next mass PvP event.

The rat spawn was annoying! They did a lot of damage, revealed stealthers and were very hard to kill. Honestly, I liked the idea of slowly filling up the arena with more ratspawn and the time goes on until it gets to a stage where there are the whole arena is over run with rat spawn (if it goes on for ages).

Dividing people up was fair. The boundaries were not set in stone. The blues could have easily killed us at the start and we would have easily kill them; however this would have been impractical when we would eventually fight Pro. Whilst essentially it was Pro vs Non Pro we were unable to xheal our "allies" and also our fields and AoE spells were hitting each other so Pro honestly cannot complain.

For the future you could look into setting up "teams" either in the arena 5v5 or in the location of the event 5v5v5v5 and structuring a tournament. I would say 2v2 would be the most popular, perhaps with multiple duels happening at the same time.

OR

You could do a similar last man standing event but give less incentive for BIG groups to play together. Obviously you will have some alliances but it should be teaming up with 1 or 2 players to get a quick kill then stabbing them in the back! Rather than guild vs guild with solo players standing no chance. The goal of last man standing is chaos and to give all players an equal chance of winning, if they play their cards right.

I honestly don't know how to achieve this other than remove the effects of guilds (so fields and AoE affects everyone) and the main thing would be to prevent players from being able to heal each other

Loppy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In terms of rules the main things I would say is:

No Spell Weaving
No Hiding/Stealth/Ninjitsu
No Summons
No Pets

Another big thing to point out is the ability to teleport is key, which we were unable to do in this event.

In the 2v2/5v5 tournaments you can also look into:

No Deadly Poison
No Fields
No Splintering Weapon
No Potions