• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) The Corwyn Library needs YOU!

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
With great pleasure the citizens of Skara Brae can announce the founding of the new public Corwyn Library on mainland Skara Brae in Felucca!

The library sits on the former player-run city of Corwyn in Felucca. We're honored to carry their name and memory forward as we provide public library service to the realm. But we need your help!

We're looking for donations of player written books for circulation. Copies you don't mind giving away are most welcome but if you'd prefer to place your books in a bag with a rune to return them to you that works as well. Please drop the books in the house mailbox.

The Library is at 56 25 S, 33 40 W in Felucca.
location.PNG

For the moment our stacks are not publicly accessible but as soon as I get enough books red leaf sealed I'll start making them available and will make another announcement. In the mean time the books in our special collections room are available to the public with the nine books of the Adamu Edom series on special loan from Governor Violet Darkthorn of Vesper!
special collections.PNG

It has been awhile since Chesapeake has had a public book library. I hope this place can be something everyone contributes to and enjoys!

Attachments

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Good luck! :)

If I can, let me also take this moment to mention Player-Written Fiction - Stratics Community Wiki ; it'd be great if people could help backup books into the wiki as well, so they can never be lost, even if any particular in-game building ever does fall. View source for UO:Demon Of Door 1 - Stratics Community Wiki has a good example of how to format it; pretty simple (and you don't have to do all the translations, though Google does make that really easy to do. :) ) The most basic version would look something like:

{{PlayerFiction
| title = Pancake and Jane, book 1
| author = Steve Foobar
| origlang = English
| shard = Chesapeake
| year = 2000
| month = 1
| day = 2
| english =
Pancake and Jane went up a hill.

Pancake fell down.

Jane came coming after.
}

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Good luck! :)

If I can, let me also take this moment to mention Player-Written Fiction - Stratics Community Wiki ; it'd be great if people could help backup books into the wiki as well, so they can never be lost, even if any particular in-game building ever does fall. View source for UO:Demon Of Door 1 - Stratics Community Wiki has a good example of how to format it; pretty simple (and you don't have to do all the translations, though Google does make that really easy to do.

Part of my goal with this is to eventually back the books up out of game. If I could ever get the Pinco UI book recorder to work this could probably get done in an afternoon.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
This is awesome. I was thinking about doing this for my next little project. I will be by soon to check it out. Well done my friend!

*Tips a glass of Good Old Moonglow Red in salute to you*

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Part of my goal with this is to eventually back the books up out of game. If I could ever get the Pinco UI book recorder to work this could probably get done in an afternoon.
I'll have to find the tool I'd written; buried somewhere on my drives. It does the translation and builds out the template for you.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Found it; just save https://raw.githubusercontent.com/brianfreud/UOTools/master/book template maker.html to an html file on your computer, then open that. Fill in the blanks, click the button, and it'll do most of the work for you. Then just go to Player-Written Fiction - Stratics Community Wiki and click "edit" to add a link to the book's text whereever is appropriate. The formatting for the link will be something like this:

* [[UO:Evil of alchemy 3|Evil of alchemy #3]] by Kirill

ie

* [[UO: (name of the book without any punctuation) | (name of the book) ]] by (author of the book)

Then hit save. You'll have a new red link (ie, a link to a non-existant page). Click on that, and it'll open that page's edit view. Paste in the template you generated with the above tool, and hit save. Voila, done!