• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] The Book Of Grimm's Fairy Tales

UltimatePower

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It lets me write in mine, i didn't try to change the name on it though.

* Edit* I tried it, can even change the name on it. But it wont let me change the name back.

neptune1369

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It lets me write in mine, i didn't try to change the name on it though.

* Edit* I tried it, can even change the name on it. But it wont let me change the name back.
ouch sorry to hear that guess ill be buying some red leaves soon

Nistra

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not going to try it but i wonder if you can inscribe the name from the Grimms book onto another and maybe fix that one Jinx

Kimberly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess they just forgot to seal them.

Sorry to hear it, Jinx! Did you try cutting and pasting the title instead of typing it in?

Hey, hon! It's been awhile. I'm not on ICQ as much. I mainly stick to YIM. I just logged in, though, to send you a message. =)

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dont think changing the name is a bad thing, u can name it whatever u want, write whatever u want inside, put any info of your choice and still have the void color, thats pretty cool, its the color that holds the value, not the title

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dont think changing the name is a bad thing, u can name it whatever u want, write whatever u want inside, put any info of your choice and still have the void color, thats pretty cool, its the color that holds the value, not the title
Also the grunting when you open it adds to the value.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice Event...alas it went on far too long or me....had to compromise time/split the time up with UO and time with the wife on sunday evening...and the wife got the later slot which meant i could do the event for a good hour.....alas ....the battle was still raging well after an hour so had to retire....

were the void colour benches and walls takeable at the end

would love to buy the fairy tale book if anyone is selling as a memeto trinket...failing that would love a copy of it if anyone can do me one, just for a momeneto in the museum libary.

267 208 357

S

Shinobi

How much do these go for? Also, how many were given out? I could turn this into the ultimate copy of The Thief.

Kimberly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The grunting/grumbling is adorable! Does anyone know if this is the only book that makes noise when you open it?

It went on for a few hours, THP. Killing the same monsters over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

I tried to pick up some of the void stuff but everything seemed to be locked down. The book, itself, is blank inside. It is named "The Book Of Grimm's Fairy Tales", written by Mesanna, void colored, blessed, and makes grumbly noises when you open it.

A fair amount of people showed up for the event, Shin. It was pretty long, though, so I am not sure how many stayed until prizes were awarded. They're blessed, so you can't steal them. Actually, on second thought, I wouldn't put it past you.

Sarme and I aren't selling ours but, if you buy one on Drach, you're welcome to hitch a ride back to Atlantic with us.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only other books that talks are the library rewards open books when you walk by.

When are you going back to Atlantic? I know that:

Jinx
WootSauce
RC
Demonous
Neptune
Angela
myself would love to hitch that ride.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kinda guessing a few of you lot maybe got 2 or 3 as it was a click reward item...so if anyone wants to sell one id be more than happy to buy a spare copy....nice trinket reminder of my 90 minutes fighting and hoping the event would end b4 my alloted uo time did...lol

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
any chance of taking my 4 cute valantines bears back to atlantic for me form drachs if u have the room.....

Luedeus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also need a ride back with one of these if you would please. ICQ is 620-177-540 thanks

EricVT

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know period correctness has long been disbanded in UO but it seems strange to drop something into the game referencing actual 1800s-era literature.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know period correctness has long been disbanded in UO but it seems strange to drop something into the game referencing actual 1800s-era literature.
Its actually quite in line with the last year of events that the Drach Em's have run. Many of their regular weekend events have been interesting takes on stories from the Brother's Grimm, and general fairy tale story lines.

Gingerbread Boards (10) - dropped at an event that somewhat resembled the Hans and Gretel story and at the end the group did eat the house that the witch boss lived in.
A Ladder Made With Golden Woven Hair (10) - dropped at an event that involved a princess, locked in a tower, I believe Rapunzel was her name.
The Big Bad Wolf (10) - dropped at an event that involved rescuing Little Red Riding Hood - or perhaps not rescuing her, but falling in to her trap... was fun either way.
Magical Dress Form Of The Valiant Little Tailor (10) - I believe these dropped during a "jack and the beanstalk" type story, although the Valiant Little Tailor is a Grimm's tale all its own.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WootSauce is right on that. It was a wonderful arc from this new EM. He/She did a terrific job. The events always occurred at the same time once every couple of weeks so people could plan ahead and always announced on their website ahead of time. The items dropped always went along with the story arc. What a great way to finish this arc. I wish other EMs would follow this example. There are a few good ones but many lazy ones as well.

Some of them keep forgetting that they are hired employees and we are the customers. I know Mesanna gives them the autonomy on how to run events but there are a few of them that run their events just because they don't like people from other shards attend. So they make up some crap about "oh, people of this shard like RP more than anything else, we don't believe in dropping items etc...”. Its sad to see some of those events have only 4-5 people attending because the EMs of that shard made it clear that players of that shard wanted "RP" instead of a more comprehensive storyline which is a bunch of BS. What gets even more hilarious is that these so called "RPers" who are the absolute minority of these shards tries to defend this rhetoric and yet whenever an item does drop they will snag them up faster than anyone and hide it away never to be found. Such hypocrites.

Thank god businesses aren't run like some of these EM shards otherwise they would have gone broke long time ago. There are certain shards that basically have players run their own events and the EMs just updates their website once in a while to fill in the outcomes. It’s sad....

There is no point in arguing or even try to argue because the attendance at these events says it all. When EMs are known to even drop items on occassion people will come. I don't advocate EMs dropping them all the time but as long as players know that once in a while something will drop will keep the crowd coming. A good example is GL shard. They have wonderful storylines and drop items once in a bluemoon but that's enough of a carrot to keep the players coming.

It's too bad these EMs don't go through an annual evaluation by us players. If they were held accountable by their actions through our evaluations it would be very interesting to see how many of them will last. Or at least they can finally open their eyes and see what the public truly wants and not what they think what's good for their shard.

The Shamrock

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Totally agree manti... I can think of a few just like that. In fact, I have a friend who plays on a shard just like that, and his favorite thing to do are events... but recently is debating on quitting because there's really no time/reward for continuing to show up everytime for the events. Makes it tough if you're stuck on a shard like that and the only real thing you like about the game are these events. Time vs reward is a very big thing that drives us to continue to show up time and time again.

As for myself, I dont expect something everytime I go to an event, but the EM's should realize we're probably some of the most dedicated people; and some of us really do enjoy a well thought out storyline as opposed to the rp/kill something/dance in a circle events. A storyline that keeps you enthralled will make the end result mean that much more to you, especially when you can actually say to yourself "I really enjoyed that event series, and I'm really glad I got something to remind me of it whenever I see this item I got".

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The book also make a sound (Bird/Jungle)when you lock it down and step near it.

B

Beleth of Atlantic

I don't want to turn this into a flame war but QQ more about lack of item drops during EM based RP events. I LOVE event items, if I attend an event where there is RP and no drops that's fine too. Roleplayers are the minority but these events themselves are roleplayed by the EM.s Having item crazy morons spamming every two seconds when the storyline is trying to be advanced because they want ph@t L3wt isn't a bad thing.

Oh and Manticore.. the point about roleplayers snatching up items and hiding them away.... You have a massive museum of items that players can look it but possibly never own because you own them. When a roleplayer receives an event item and holds onto it, it's because they are cherishing it.

I have nothing against anyone in the rares community but put your greed aside sometimes and stop complaining about the 1 or 2 EM's who host RP events. Attend every other servers events and loot their items and avoid the RP ones if you know nothing s dropping.

For some people the efforts made by some EM's is never enough.

EricVT

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not saying it isn't an interesting or cool item, just that it's unusual in that it's a specific collection of literature that exists in the real world that has sort of made its way into this escapist fantasy world.

I can walk to my real bookshelf and pick up my Barnes and Noble copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales and then play UO and also have it sitting on my virtual bookshelf. It may not be the first time it has happened but it is a unique way to deliberately break the fourth wall of UO (if one exists anymore :p).

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't want to turn this into a flame war but QQ more about lack of item drops during EM based RP events. I LOVE event items, if I attend an event where there is RP and no drops that's fine too. Roleplayers are the minority but these events themselves are roleplayed by the EM.s Having item crazy morons spamming every two seconds when the storyline is trying to be advanced because they want ph@t L3wt isn't a bad thing.

Oh and Manticore.. the point about roleplayers snatching up items and hiding them away.... You have a massive museum of items that players can look it but possibly never own because you own them. When a roleplayer receives an event item and holds onto it, it's because they are cherishing it.

I have nothing against anyone in the rares community but put your greed aside sometimes and stop complaining about the 1 or 2 EM's who host RP events. Attend every other servers events and loot their items and avoid the RP ones if you know nothing s dropping.

For some people the efforts made by some EM's is never enough.
I don't think you attend enough events to counter my argument. But that's ok. I made my comment not because of couple of EMs but because after attending over 1,000 events (not stretching it either) that's the conclusion I came to. Just by a quick count of the shards its more like 12 EMs at the present time.

Yes, these events are role played by EMs, and back when this program started back up in 2009, EMs held open sessions and took our suggestions to heart and many listened and few didn't. However, this is not true anymore. Hardly any of the new EMs does that when they take the position. And true, there are disruptions before the event but once things get going those usually stops. As for spamming for items, this usually come after the event because that's when they are revealed to the public so I highly doubt that spamming bothers anyone. And of course if it did, they can always leave since the event was over.

Greed aside? Anyone who owns at least one item shows greed so be careful who you call greed because I know you hunt those items down as well :). A nonchalant comment like that basically slapped everyone who is a regular on this board. Only people who don't belong in that category are those who donates any items they've gotten and kept none for themselves. I can only think of 1 person in game that does that (Gareth).

The simple fact is, if you want pure RP, and I don't see anything wrong with that, you can do it yourself and not use the EMs to do that for you.

As for the comment about efforts, lets take a closer look at that. Its not a question of how much effort, its a question if the efforts are used appropriately.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
THE simple fact of the matter is....

Because there is a hard core of event players...these players seem to manage every event....then these event trinkets are thus GIVEN a high artificial value because in effect the rares commuity are only swopping items for items...they rarely spend any gold they have not already made selling event rares ...thats to say they may sell a item for 100m or 2 items for 200 millo and then buy a item for 100m..or 2 items for 200m....in effect no gold as changed hands and it keeps the rest of the uo player base from buying the stuff/ out of the rares/event item market

I think they call it a monopoly....sad but true.