• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The biggest Obstacle in UO to getting Rid of Cheaters

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the GMs! If they'd do their jobs it'd be one thing, but page for ANYTHING anymore and you get a freakin canned message! Okay let me explain what precipitated this tirade. I was given a bunch of Fountain deeds a month or so ago. I recently found out these things were being dupped. I was concerned that these might be dupes since the person that gave them to me was someone I didn't know.

I paged a GM to have a look at them. ALWAYS before GMs would check on a item to see if it "legit". Well after waiting a FREAKIN HOUR I get (you guessed it) a canned response. That read:

<blockquote><hr>

GM tells Cold Steel: Greetings, The item(s) you are inquring about are not supported by Game Masters at this time. These item(s) however are subject to change, and are not offically deemed legal by the development team. The development team may at anytime remove or alter the item(s) or any item(s) in game without prior warning to the community if deemed necessary. Please know that ownership of the item(s) is at your own risk.
Thank you for your support and cooperation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay how could GM "Bot" even have scanned them? They were in a chest in my castle, and I have a TON of chests which would have meant the GM would have had to scan my WHOLE account! I seriously DOUBT my whole account was scanned because it would take too long. Wouldn't it have been simpler and faster to talk to me and check said items?

Support or "the lack there of" like this will allow cheaters, dupers, scripters and even greifers to continue unchecked since players have no recourse. Meanwhile I'm still left to wonder about the deeds in question. What do we do toss everything in the trash barrel for fear it might be dupped? I wouldn't know a dupped item from a pooped item!
Once again the honest players are treated no better than something my dog did on the front lawn! The UO way: Punish the innocent reward the cheaters! *SIGH* Why do I bother?

Jirel

Edit: My grammar goes in the toilet when I'm angry!

D

DVDA

Dont you know GMs are urban legends....

We have all heard of them, some of us may have even seen one (years ago) but we arent 100% sure they actually exist.....

At the moment Yetis are more common then GMs, if you recall my last post (which has gotten deleted because i named the cheater) there were 50+ players screaming for help to stop a known cheater who clearly was cheating, yet no GMs responded....not even a canned response

Since then the house has been sold for tons of real life cash....Cheaters 349083490 - Legit Players 000000000000

F

Fayled Dhreams

page request .init
Scan account
Jirel_of_Joiry
Char#
for
item deed
type fountain
IF=1
reply: The item(s) you are inquring about are not supported by Game Masters at this time.
insert .reply into boilerplate.template.Duped? @ .reply.txt
send
end

next page request
sort .....

D

DVDA

GM: Hey Draconi we got another help request....something about a duped item or something....i dont actually play UO or know anything about the game what should i do?

Draconi: Hmmm, well we clearly dont know nor care about scripters, dupers and
cheaters but we cant let the subscribers know.....Just hold the page for an hour so it appears we are investigating then after the hour is up close your eyes and pick a link to the EA website.

GM: Brilliant!

I

imported_Sarphus

it's true...

It's silly to me when I see someone get in trouble for unattended macroing when someone else quite obviously is using MUCH more blatant and damaging forms of cheating.

I don't think I'd recognize UO pvp without all the cheating. Unskilled players running massive cheats are the norm. Until that changes, pvp will remain irrelevant.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahira- Amen!!

Of course we're still left not knowing what's a dupe or a poop or a whatever item.

Btw, need to add a skill to you skill list 120 GM/Dev/EA Bashing..LOL I think we both qualify!!

I'd dearly LOVE to see Jeremy or Draconi response to this thread, but I don't believe either has the CHUTZPAH to reply.

DENIAL , ain't just a river in Egypt ya know!!!

Its okay little EA Ostriches go on, bury your heads in the sand. The players know the TRUTH no matter how much you try to deny it!

EDIT: Okay lower blood pressure, raise grammar.

D

DVDA

A game shouldnt raise a person's blood preasure but this game does just that,

I've been dealing with it for years (8+) but the lack of response to then Luna IDOC on Pacific the day AFTER they burned all those houses put the icing on the cake....

Now i see the GMs only pretend to care when they actually dont...a cheater won an IDOC worth thousands of real life dollars, players paged NON-stop the whole entire day (5-6 hours and the day before) yet a GM did not show up.

I wouldnt have cared if a GM stood next to the IDOC and claimed the player wasnt cheating...its the fact they canceled all of the pages and didnt even send a canned response

P

Paris_Hilton

"I was given a bunch of Fountain deeds a month or so ago."

"...the person that gave them to me was someone I didn't know."

Two excellent clues that what you accepted WERE NOT legitimate items.

You didn't really need a GM to tell you that these were most likely duped, I know that you, unlike some players, actually read Stratics.

But I have to agree that Mythic is not even close to the old dev teams who cracked down swiftly on such things.

You can tell by how all the "bugged" leather dye tubs in wild previously unavailable colors suddenly appeared on the scene in the past few months. (The wolves sense that their handlers are Uncertain, and they move in for the kill).

Mythic just lets exploiters/dupers sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide through the game, which of course fosters even more exploiting/duping.

For months we look at a new bright orange cloth, I just recently heard something of how it's obtained, something about 'exploiting' game mechanics, which as far as I can recall from the rules, can get your account actioned, whether or not your account actually profits from the exploit.

But the exploiters boldly sell it from their storefronts, the ignorant run about wearing clothing made from it as though it were legal.

I really miss the old devs who actually tried to enforce the rules of the game.

If Mythic would just come out and say:

Hey! You guys are smarter than we are, you have figured out how to introduce a bright new color into your game, so we will allow you to keep it, and deem it legal for ALL to use.

But crap they can't even do that.

G

<blockquote><hr>

"I was given a bunch of Fountain deeds a month or so ago."

"...the person that gave them to me was someone I didn't know."

Two excellent clues that what you accepted WERE NOT legitimate items.

You didn't really need a GM to tell you that these were most likely duped

[/ QUOTE ]
Kind of makes the whole thing obvious to anyone that would spend two seconds thinking about the situation, huh? Guess some people just need a reason to come to Stratics and complain about whatever it is that isn't going thier way...maybe its time for another peace walk or something, Jirel??

Anne

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's similar to when I paged for a gm to fix my bugged quiver of infinity and got a canned response to report the bug.

I guess if I get caught for using it I can know I at least tried.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
VexHel- I think the addage here is: "We're damned if we do and damned if we don't!" I remember hearing about someone that paged and paged trying to get their Quiver of Infinity fixed. They never could get a GM. Then some random person paged on them while they were sitting at the bank talking. BLAM! They got pulled into UO jail, quiver fixed and the GM put a mark against their account!

Desperado_SE - Its like I said "Punish the innocent, reward the CHEATERS!" I hope your never in the situation where you need a GM and can not get one.

The person that gave it to me was a player who'd been playing since 3rd Dawn, and I recognized the name from a old runebook I have that they had made. I started shootin the breeze with said player. Something was said about fountains and I said I liked them. Then the player gave me 10 of them!!

So I guess now if ANYONE you don't know gives you a gift you should immediately throw it in the trash barrel!?!? That's a pretty sad commentary on UO, its players, dev team and GMs. I give stuff to newbies all the time. I guess shouldn't do that anymore, hmm?

G

<blockquote><hr>

So I guess now if ANYONE you don't know gives you a gift you should immediately throw it in the trash barrel!?!? That's a pretty sad commentary on UO, its players, dev team and GMs. I give stuff to newbies all the time. I guess shouldn't do that anymore, hmm?

[/ QUOTE ]Hyperbole.
If I gave you half-a-dozen fountain deeds, then damned straight you should be suspicious. You don't know me, or if I can be trusted, and multiples of any valuable item should be handled with suspicion. Of course, I would never knowingly handle anything illegal, but since you don't know me enough to trust me, you can't trust in that fact.
The same goes for anyone.
I was just using myself as an example, since I'm not going to get pissy at myself.

But, you blew the whole thing out of proportion, for the sake of drama.

R

randommatter

<blockquote><hr>

Is the GMs! If they'd do their jobs it'd be one thing, but page for ANYTHING anymore and you get a freakin canned message! Okay let me explain what precipitated this tirade. I was given a bunch of Fountain deeds a month or so ago. I recently found out these things were being dupped. I was concerned that these might be dupes since the person that gave them to me was someone I didn't know.

I paged a GM to have a look at them. ALWAYS before GMs would check on a item to see if it "legit". Well after waiting a FREAKIN HOUR I get (you guessed it) a canned response. That read:

<blockquote><hr>

GM tells Cold Steel: Greetings, The item(s) you are inquring about are not supported by Game Masters at this time. These item(s) however are subject to change, and are not offically deemed legal by the development team. The development team may at anytime remove or alter the item(s) or any item(s) in game without prior warning to the community if deemed necessary. Please know that ownership of the item(s) is at your own risk.
Thank you for your support and cooperation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay how could GM "Bot" even have scanned them? They were in a chest in my castle, and I have a TON of chests which would have meant the GM would have had to scan my WHOLE account! I seriously DOUBT my whole account was scanned because it would take too long. Wouldn't it have been simpler and faster to talk to me and check said items?

Support or "the lack there of" like this will allow cheaters, dupers, scripters and even greifers to continue unchecked since players have no recourse. Meanwhile I'm still left to wonder about the deeds in question. What do we do toss everything in the trash barrel for fear it might be dupped? I wouldn't know a dupped item from a pooped item!
Once again the honest players are treated no better than something my dog did on the front lawn! The UO way: Punish the innocent reward the cheaters! *SIGH* Why do I bother?

Jirel

Edit: My grammar goes in the toilet when I'm angry!

[/ QUOTE ]

Honest huh? A guy in a castle with a bunch of duped deeds and he's honest? Hmm... You took all those deeds didn't you? In the back of your mind you knew they could be duped... but you took them anyway. Anyway something to think about.

BTW: No one cares about the duped fountain deeds. They don't have the same item ID so there would be no way for him to tell you anything anyway. See two items with the same item id's can't exist on the server at the same time.. they fixed that long ago. So bottom line: No one cares, because they can't tell, and they are pretty worthless deco crap that anyone can get.

Basically what you did is the equivelent of paging a GM, waiting an hour for him to tell you whether your bandaids are duped or not. He doesn't care. They are bandaids. If you had said you had a bag of duped Inquis, he would have come calling. I'm not sticking up for those GM's either, they are useless, lazy no good sumbitches. But in this case, sending the canned response to the greedy trammy seems to be correct

L

Lugh Simaldinach

Since the beginning of UO outsourcing, the GM's have been a coup full of chickens randomly pecking macro keys for dried corn bits.