• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Baja Mage Tower......

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
is no longer there. It fell at the the end of July [updated information]. This was discovered by James the Animal Tamer and myself yesterday.

Here is a link to an article on it done by Ceno in October 2009:

http://uo2.stratics.com/shard-pages/baja/the-mage-tower

WildStar

Last edited:

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a terrible loss for Baja. Well actually it's a significant loss for the history of the game in general. Are any others left on any of the shards?

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I don't know. The last information I had from a few years ago was that there were two left and that included the one on Baja.

Xelious Norwood

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought it was owned by EA to tell you the truth. I am thinking then that Sivs MT Keep fell around that same time and possibly were the same owners.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im upset about the baja tower... if ur gonna be afk for that long pass it on as its always been done. i would have carried the torch till uos end.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
EM Crysania is working on getting permission to built a memorial at the site. She also placed three memorial stones on the site, so that no one can place anything there.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Damn.

I spent a lot of time in my younger days in the Mage Tower, (and by younger, I mean I was a teenager), roleplaying, browsing through the libraries, visiting and encountering old members. I know it's suppose to be just a game, that it is all virtual and meaningless, but reading the OP was like reading that your childhood home burned to the ground.

The Mage Tower wasn't just a historical landmark. It was one of the last player-written book libraries on our shard, containing several pieces of fiction dating back to the late nineties. Most of it is irreplaceable. Add to that the building was suppose to be seer-blessed and incapable of falling, much like the historical Tower of Avalon, I'm kind've left at a loss.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The books may not be lost. I have some very old player-written books in the Dawn Book Libraries. One in Felucca and the other in Malas - west of Umbra.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There were quite a few not in the Dawn Library or my own. Ceno and I had once discussed manually making copies, since you can't inscribe a locked down book, but that's one of those projects I never got around to.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does anyone have any screenshots of what it looked like on the inside and outside?

EMCrysania

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Mage Tower fell because it was Player owned and the acct went inactive. What was seer blessed was what was locked down and could not get picked up as it was perma locked down when the tower fell. I went through the remains of what was left after being told it fell and there was nothing relating to the mage tower, ie: books, items with the mage tower name, etc there. If there had been it would have been moved to the awards hall to keep. As it were, the items were deleted that were left. Tables, bookcases etc. While they stood in the Mage Tower, they bore no connection via name etc. I am hoping to get a memorial set up there, if approved, to recognize where the Tower stood. I agree it was a sad day in Baja history to see it fall. If anyone happens to have any books relating to the Mage tower, if you could copy them, I will be more than happy to place them in the Hall, or if you happened across the remains and picked up anything that you feel was significant to remember.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are there any original guild members that are still in the guild? Might be nice to have their input in the design too.

Ceno of MT

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Warder told me about this last night and I am completely heart broken. Although I have not played for many years now there was never a day that the Tower crossed my mind and the fun I had while there.
I have emailed Crysania in hopes to add some pieces of MT history that I've held onto for quite a few years and I hope she will be able to do something else for me which I will keep as a surprise till I know she can do what I hope UO will let her.

I am currently the holder of the MT boat house that sat next to the Tower and I have said this before in the past but I will restate it again: I will never allow the MT Boat House to fall. That is my promise to Baja and to UO. History should always be preserved and I will do my part to ensure that happens.

Azmodan,
I truly appreciate that you would have held on to the Tower for Baja but I can tell you that the person who held the Tower would not transfer it to anyone. I offered multiple times to take it off his hands because even back then he rarely played. He continued to promise me that he would never let it fall. Clearly that promise has been broken. (Granted I do not know of his well being IRL.)

Xelious,
The person who held the Tower did not hold any other MT buildings, he only had the Tower.

To all of UO,
Before the Baja Mage Tower fell there were only two Towers left standing. Although Baja's Tower has fallen, I want to let everyone know that Lake Superior still has their Tower. It is the only one left now and that makes me happy but sad at the same time. Not a lot of people now know or remember The Mage Tower but it was such an amazing group of people. Most do not know this but a lot of tactics used today with Magery was first though of by members of The Mage Tower.

The Mage Tower was a group of people who loved to Roleplay and accepted anyone into the guild. It did not matter if you were Blue, Grey, or Red. "All are welcome in MT." - So many people use to respect the Tower in it's day that I can remember once before Trammel was around I was being chased by a Red player and once I was at the steps of The Mage Tower he stopped attacking me. You see, there was a rule at MT that because "All are welcome" that meant there would be a red player about and they wanted to ensure their safety as well as those on their grounds. Out of respect for the Tower, that PK stopped attacking me and then healed my wounds and we went inside to sit down on the thrones and we talked. He told me about his time with MT and how he really missed the Tower. It was quite the good conversation and I got to keep my life at the end of the day. =)

Although the Mage Tower is gone, I would still hope that this tradition stays and the grounds be almost like "holy grounds" where people will stop and have a peaceful moment out of respect of one of UO's precious historical land marks that was created not by EA or UO...But by us, the players.

That is one thing that UO has always been so great about and you don't get to see it in newer games today. The company who makes the game isn't the only one who is making history or lore. They put some of that power in our hands, the players. We make memories and history within the game and the wonderful team of UO helps to preserve those memories for the players in such amazing ways.