• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Adventures of Player Hater

A

Arutius

So I've played UO since T2A and quit about 3 years ago. I always knew I would eventually come back. After much thought, I decided to come back to UO today. As I was loading up the software, I began to get excited; hoping to have some of the same magical experiences that I once had with my old characters.

It's kind of funny how one does get attached to their UO characters. For many of us, they are somewhat alter egos that we've spent years cultivating. These characters have been with us through expansions and new territories; have etched out game history through guilds and friendships; have overcome conflicts and wars. Even when RL changes, it seems that UO characters remain constant. And even when you leave them for several years, you know that all it would take is to reload the software and your friends would be there waiting.

Or at least I thought.

Extremely excitied to hang out with my old avatar/palladin "Joshua Lionheart" once more, I reactivate my account, only to find that here's not there. Not only is he not there, but Rory-my ninja/archer, Kroni-my mule, and Hedgepeth-my drunken homeless RP extrordinare are all erased from my account.

I've been hacked.

Now I know that this unfortunate event is common to the point of cliche, but still can't help but to wonder why! My moral compass understands victimless crimes; things like running red lights when no one is around. Heck, I can even forgive someone if they do me wrong as long as they have some sort of motive. If the hacker would have just looted my accounts and been done with it, I could have actually shrugged it off, convincing my mind that the hacker's intention was to sell off all my wares and use the money to buy food for his kids.

But why the hell would you erase someone's characters? What's the benefit in that?

Such acts prove to me that there are evil people in the world, or at least card-carrying *******s that seriously need to have some courtesy beat into them with a police baton.

And to completely add insult to injury, the hacker recreated a new character on my account called "Player Hater," who, by the way, is a rogue. The hacker even took some time and really establish his M.O. by running that character into a dungeon and die so when played him, I would get the idea that the only thing I owned in the game was a burial shroud.

Clever. At least this jerk has style.

But it makes me wonder exactly how many people he's done this to. I'm guessing several. I don't believe in Karma but now I'm hoping that it exists. It helps ease my frusteration if I picture Player Hater one day dying and coming back as a pile of horse crap.

Tiny Dancer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am truly sorry sir. I have been hacked and know what it feels like all to well as I am sure many people who have been hacked can say. My hackers fortunately did not delete my characters but it still hurt a lot.

The invasion of your personal properity is a violation noone should have to experience.

That this happened you after so many years gone and just coming back makes it even worse. I wish there was something I could say that would make it better.

I will say this. Don't allow the person who did this to you even more victory by quitting the game. He may have set you back a bit in skills and armor but those can be replaced. Thankfully, items and skills are much easier to come by then they were a few years ago.

Call EA and have your email and password changed on your account. Have them link an additional password that only you know so if someone calls saying its their account they have to prove it by knowing the special password. Make sure the new email you use is not linked to anything else you use emails for, keep it totally seperate.

Then make a new character and enjoy UO. There are many wonderful people who play this game and you should be able to experience the best after experiencing the worst.

I would be happy to donate armor, scrolls, and weapons to you to make starting over a little easier if you do decide to come back (I hope you do). I have posted my icq below where you can reach me, or you can just leave me a private message on here. Best of luck to you Arutius.

Tiny Dancer, GM of The Drawing of Three (TDT)

A

Arutius

Thank you so much for your kindness Dancer! It is people like you that truly bring out the great UO community that I'm so fond of. I'll keep your offer in the back of my mind, but I think I'm going to try and find some joy in rebuilding it all - attempt to experience the thrill of running in terror from harpies and lizardman like I did ten years ago.

Who knows, maybe I'll try to extract some RP fun into this. I can pretend my character spent three years in an unforeseen coma, only to wake up having the gods stripping him of his weath, power and identity.

Tiny Dancer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol, I love your possitive thinking. Welcome back to UO and I hope you have a fantastic time. Please don't hesitate to ask if you decide you need something. I would be more than happy to help. Best of luck to you.

Tiny Dancer

S

siyeng0

Oww, that's terrible.

I feel you on the whole attachment-to-characters thing; I, uh, I may have cried a little when the time came to delete my first-ever character (he roleplay-died, so I couldn't exactly march him around anymore.) Being hacked is bad enough, but deleting all your characters? There is no reason for him to do that. It's being malicious for malice's sake. I don't think such a thing can be classified as evil, per se, but it's definitely taking advantage of the online potential for anonymous cruelty - I'm very sorry that it happened to you.

I have characters on Oceania and Baja. I don't think you mentioned which shard you play on - if you need help to rebuild on either of those two shards (I fear I've nothing on any of the others), please contact me and I'll see what I can do for you. I hope you choose to stay. This is one hell of a setback, but there are still good people on every shard; I'm sure you can find someone who'll be willing to help you.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm so sorry - I know I would be devastated if someone did that to me.

If you're on Europa, please, let me know. There's lots we can help you with and you're welcome to join our guild of mildly insane but wonderful folks til you get settled and on your feet again.

Cail

M

Muggs10

So sorry to hear! But I would do the same thing as you are going to do...rebuild...And if your on Pac..hollar! tons of us there to help you out...:lick:

K

krusty2001

after leaving uo and playing wow and most recently aion i have realized uo is the best game around even after all these years. sadly i can't access either of my main 2 accounts now and fear i may be in the same boat as you. if so i'll just suck it up and start over. the freedom in uo of tempelates and non linear play is just not available on any other game. no other game has held my attention like uo and it still fascinates me. best of luck to you.