• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Template help - Drop what for lock picking?

J

JesterDev

I have:

Fencing
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Stealth
Hiding
Stealing

I want to add lock picking to be an all around thief, but I cannot decide what to lose. I want to be able to defend myself, and heal.. So is the tactics bonus really that great?

O

Old Man of UO

What does lockpicking do for you in that template? How are you going to recall around? To me, it just seems a little odd.

If your purpose is to open dungeon and gypsy chests, dropping Tactics probably won't hurt you, and you should be able to defend yourself okay. Tactics gives you a damage bonus and the ability to do special moves... such as infect with poison.

But if you want to do serious damage, or even PvP, that's going to be a pretty weak template, not to mention not being able to recall/travel.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All of my non mage/paladin characters have zero magery. They all manage to recall around fine using a runebook. Wasting points in magery is not necessary if you just need to recall around, especially if you're human. JOAT will allow you to use a runebook and be successful about 90% of the time.

P

PuddyMae

I have a thief on Siege and here is what I travel with.
She is human.

Magery 115
Meditation 100
Hiding 100
Lockpicking 100
Detect hidden 58.2
Remove Trap 38.3
Stealth 75.1
Stealing 120 Total 709

I do very well with this and use ev's a lot.