• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tech: UBB Code: How To Make Cool Posts

• Thread starter imported_Edward The Less
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Edward The Less

So your posting on these or another UBB type forum and you see fancy stuff on someones post like a cool pic and you wonder how they did that. Well wonder no longer I will show you how to make UBB Code.

UBB Code is very simple and is like the HTML code that makes up every webpage. UBB Code has just a few commands but they can do many cool things.

The commands are enclosed in brackets like this [ ] both the left and right ones. So the command would be inside the brackets like this: [command].

It tells the boards what you want to do. When you are done you have to tell it to stop doing what you want to do with a / before the command. It would look like this [/command].

So an example of UBB code would look like this:

[command]text[/command]

The first part tells the forum what you want to do then you have the text that you want to do something with then you have the command again with a / (forward slash) before it to tell the forum to stop doing the command.

Now what commands are there? Here they are and what they do.

The Adventures Of Link

Some boards will automatically put a link in the url that you post on the board others will not. If it does automatically make a link it looks ugly like this http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/wow/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=wowtech

You can make it look better by using UBB Code like this: <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>what you want the link name to be here so it would look like this

Engineering Forum</pre><hr />

It would make it look like this Engineering Forum instead of the long ugly link.

Learning Your b i u's

a b enclosed in the brackets []
would make Bold

an i enclosed in the brackets []
would make italicized

and a u in the brackets []
would make <u>underline</u>

just remember to close them with a / like this [/command here]

You Want To Be In Pictures

So you see a cool pic and want to put it on the forums but how? here is the cheat code to do it: <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>[img=pictures web address here]message about pic here[/img] so it would look like this

[img=http://wow.stratics.com/content/sod/08162005]Cool Fountain[/img]</pre><hr />

When they move their mouse over the pic the words Cool Fountain will popup.

Some forums disable img because some people post bad pics too often.

Wait A Minute Mister Postman

So you want people to send you an e-mail so you want to post it on the forums....well wait a second. Posting your e-mail address on a forum is a bad idea as spammers have bots searching every forum for posted e-mail address 24/7. If you do post an e-mail address make sure it's not one you want spam at.

Make a junk e-mail address with Yahoo!, Hotmail, or Gmail. They have filters that will get much of the junk and you can use this e-mail address for places or people that want you to give them an e-mail address but who you don't want to give one to.

Now the way to do it<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>email address here so it would look like this
[email protected]</pre><hr />and so it would look like this in your post:

[email protected]

And You Can Quote Me On That

So someone said something and you want it in your post so people can more clearly see where your coming from and you want to set it off from the rest of your post. Heres how to do it:<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Lady Beth can't play WoW....she's stupid
Egrog1717 called me stupid!</pre><hr />

It would look like this when in your post:
<blockquote><hr>

Lady Beth can't play WoW....she's stupid

[/ QUOTE ]Egrog1717 called me stupid!

you notice the lines above and below the quoted text that sets it off from the rest of the post. Also the text past the closed /quote is outside of the quote box.

Some forums, but not this one, let you place the persons name in the quote so you can quickly place the name of the person your quoting. You can do it like this<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
egrog1717 said:
Lady Beth was mean to me
</pre><hr />
It would say in little black letters before the first word of the quote "from egrog1717"

Your On My List

Lets say you want to make a list and want to make it look better then just words on top of each other, well heres how to fancy them up.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>People I hate
  • gold sellers
  • griefers
  • ninjas
</pre><hr />

I have tried to use this on these forums but it does not seem to like the hand coded way but other forums might.

You can also make lists in order like this
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
People I hate
  1. gold sellers
  2. griefers
  3. ninjas
</pre><hr />
It would come out like this
People I hate
1.gold sellers
2.griefers
3.ninjas

You can also put in an A in the place of the 1 to make the list go a. b. c. instead of 1. 2. 3. These forums do not seem to like the hand coded way to do this but other forums might. Just use the Instant UBB Code below the text window to make a list in these forums.

I Sill Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

You can link to a Google search like this <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>[Google]search word here[/Google] so it would look like this
[Google]stratics[/Google]</pre><hr />
it would look like this in your post <u>stratics</u>. They will be able to click on stratics and it will do a Google search on it. This forum does not support the Google UBB command but some forums do thats why it's just underlined and does not work in this example.

These forums can do many of these things with a java script below the text window where you post. It says Instant UBB Code and has many of the commands listed below that. Some forums do not have this feature so you will have to code the UBB by hand.

So now get out there and show other posters your 1337 UBB codeing skilz.

Status
Not open for further replies.