• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Suggestion] Target Stored

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Is there some reason why we don't have a "target stored" macro option? By this I mean the option to store a target and include that in macro, as opposed to "target nearest follower" etc. This one seems pretty much like a no brainer to me, and should have been there from the start.

One use for it would be a reliable mount macro. Right now there is a "target nearest follower" option that you can use for a mount macro, and it works most of the time, until you are in the middle of a furball where you really need it to work, and it magically stops working. And of course if you have more than one follower, it works again, most of the time...

O

Old Man of UO

Another use is for healing more than one pet at a time when you have multiples out. I haven't found a good way to do that with the EC macros, but UOA did it well.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Another use is for healing more than one pet at a time when you have multiples out. I haven't found a good way to do that with the EC macros, but UOA did it well.
Actually that's pretty easy, you just drag the spell or bandages onto a hotbar, right click the icon and set target to "stored". If you have five pets you make the bar five icons long, and you can drag it horizontal or vertical. Or you can make five separate macros in the same way and bind them to keys.

What I'm talking about are those situations where you don't start out with an item, spell or ability, but you need to start with a target. Mounting a pet is one of them, I'm sure there are other macro contexts where it would also be useful, I just can't think of any off the top of my head... :)

F

Fink

Hmm, I have the vet one working.. not sure if I've tried the mount macro since stored targets were introduced. I'll try it.

For vet I just have a bunch of bandage macros with stored targets for each pet in a hotbar. I just drag the ones corresponding to whatever pets I'm using into some nearby empty hotbar slots that have hotkeys assigned. That way I don't have dozens of hotkeys to assign and memorise.

D

Diggity

Is there some reason why we don't have a "target stored" macro option? By this I mean the option to store a target and include that in macro, as opposed to "target nearest follower" etc. This one seems pretty much like a no brainer to me, and should have been there from the start.

Agreed this would be a nice feature for the client, similar to the use item in UOA. You can simulate some of this function with command scripts. One way to store a target: get what you want to store in the target window gump and have a hotkey for

Code:
script YourVariableName1 = WindowData.CurrentTarget.TargetI
Then to recall the stored target to the target window, have a macro hotkeyed for the 3 line command script:

Code:
script WindowData.CurrentTarget.TargetId = YourVariableName1
script TargetWindow.UpdateTarget(YourVariableName1)
script TargetWindow.OnLClick()
You can use this to remount a non-ethy via hotkeys. I also use it in a macro to set the 2nd target for bard provokes.

O

Old Man of UO

Agreed this would be a nice feature for the client, similar to the use item in UOA. You can simulate some of this function with command scripts. One way to store a target: get what you want to store in the target window gump and have a hotkey for

Code:
script YourVariableName1 = WindowData.CurrentTarget.TargetI
Then to recall the stored target to the target window, have a macro hotkeyed for the 3 line command script:

Code:
script WindowData.CurrentTarget.TargetId = YourVariableName1
script TargetWindow.UpdateTarget(YourVariableName1)
script TargetWindow.OnLClick()
You can use this to remount a non-ethy via hotkeys. I also use it in a macro to set the 2nd target for bard provokes.
Nice. I sort of understand storing the target in a variable, but trying to understand the uses. Do you have to do this every time you log into the client or is it stored until reset to a new target? What are some examples to use this? Remounting, and vet for tamer... what else? Lock pick training?

D

Diggity

Nice. I sort of understand storing the target in a variable, but trying to understand the uses. Do you have to do this every time you log into the client or is it stored until reset to a new target? What are some examples to use this? Remounting, and vet for tamer... what else? Lock pick training?
Yes you have to do this every session. For something more permanent, such as mount a bonded pet, I think it would be better to hardcode your pet's id into a hotkeyed macro.

I find that I like to store targets in cases where I am doing frequent target switching. There are times when I find last and current target aren't enough. In very dynamic situations and/or where there are many mobs on screen, directly targeting the mob's avatar, cycle target actions and/or ctrl-shift bar pulling can be slow/challenging.

One example that I use this for is my bard. Provoke requires two target actions, one to incite and the other as the target for the incited critter. When I know I will want to provoke on a mob multiple times, eg dark father in doom, I'll use the command script to store that mob. When I use provoke on one of the spawn - using current target for the first provoke action - I can no longer use last target to target the dark father. So rather than directly target the df's healthbar/object handle/directly, I can use the hotkeyed stored target. This can all be in one macro so I can single key provoke targets onto the stored target.