• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Target by resource - enhanced client question

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hoping for some clarification from you mining veterans out there that use the enhanced client.

Here's my question:
If a miner does not use the "target by resource" macro, but instead makes a custom macro that simply repeats digging in the exact same spot, will that miner always get the same type of ore that go-around? For example, let's say the first dig on that spot gives the miner dull copper; will he keep getting dull copper (and only dull copper) from that spot until the vein is exhausted, or will UO's RNG give some mix of iron ore and dull copper ore?

I ask because I've been using the target by resource macro exclusively and get a mix. In fact, sometimes when I use the prospector's tool it will say that valorite may be mined but all I get is iron, and this is using a GM miner character. If target by resource is the reason, I'd better get that new macro together!

Thanks for the help.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I haven't figured out the macros for the EC but I can tell you that with the classic client , often I will use the prospectrors tool and it will say I will get some higher ore but all I get is iron. This happens quite often and represents a change from a while ago. I don't like it but figured there must be a reason.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are always getting a mix of iron and the colour of a spot. It is said, that elves are getting a higher ratio than humans (one of their racial boni). It doesnt matter what kind of macros you are using.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the answers. The gist of my question was whether the target by resource macro used a different algorithm for obtaining the ore. I thought I read something about it targeting the entire 8x8 area around where your pick/shovel is actually targeted, and wondered whether the same thing happened if you used a simple macro that dug in the same spot over and over. I think you've answered my question!

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the 8x8 grid is one resource tile. Meaning you can mine any spot inside the grid but once one tile is emptied then the entire 8x8 grid is empty. until it respawns.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can stand at the intersection of up to four 8x8 grids and can mine all four. I've never tested it since I target the first strike manually. When you make a 'target by resource' macro, you put in the tool for it to use. I use that and then a last target.

Sorry, not sure if any of this actually answered your questions.