• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tanking Cu

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We get the impression you play with only tamers, while for us the tamer is the tank, allowing our mages to do real damage (with slayer books). So we are not in the position to create a thread like that. For us, the tamer is just there to tank the boss, and with Semidar we noticed our Disco-AI Lesser got completely destroyed because of his own power. (We even thought the devs had given Semidar AI at first!) Nowadays we use our Feint Giant Beetle with merely 500 Str to tank Semidar, and we can easily keep it alive PLUS our mages get to enjoy the Rune Corruption occasionally as well (albeit very short). This is all the knowledge we can share about that encounter.
I think that is a key piece of information many keep out when they reply in general in this forum. How do they play? Who do they group with? What is their template. That can play a key role into what pets you want to have.

I know @Pawain groups with like 30 tamers all with cu sidhe and sometimes Don with his bane according to the screenshots he posts~ (semi kidding, might be more like 15 cu)

@Khyro and myself duo or solo everything, occasionally we will do things with small alliance groups. We like speed and control.

*the following is a brag fest to show off my *****

I can run consume while casting spells like G heal and ebolt with mana staying at 200.

Can run consume and do basic spells with no mana loss. Can turn off consume and do 8 WoD.
Notice how he says can and not does, because he's too busy AFKing~ Why do you think he likes CU so much :p

Btw, that seemed more like a bragfest of how awesome @Khyro is. :)

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Following up on the DCI discussion, my character runs with a spellbook, but has 45 DCI and 120 eval, plus 20 anatomy and tactics from JOAT. Anyone have an idea of approximate defense? The calculation confuses me somewhat.

My calculation is as follows: 120 Eval + 20 anatomy from JOAT = 80 equivalent melee skill.

Chance to defend: (120 Melee + 20) divided by (((80 +20) (1.45)) *2) = 48% chance of monster hitting.

Is the above correct? Thanks!

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Following up on the DCI discussion, my character runs with a spellbook, but has 45 DCI and 120 eval, plus 20 anatomy and tactics from JOAT. Anyone have an idea of approximate defense? The calculation confuses me somewhat.

My calculation is as follows: 120 Eval + 20 anatomy from JOAT = 80 equivalent melee skill.

Chance to defend: (120 Melee + 20) divided by (((80 +20) (1.45)) *2) = 48% chance of monster hitting.

Is the above correct? Thanks!
Sounds correct. Plus this way, you will be able to use a slayer spell book so you can deal double damage to spawns. My way, since I don't have Eval on tamer toon, is mage-0 SC weapon, magery 110 on toon, and it calculates out to 30% or so chance of monster hitting melee. But sadly, I get my gear dur. dropping from the attacks, I get bled by dragons, and the DCI/Mage weapon does not protect me from mobs spells, just the melee attacks. Interestingly also, I get hit with smaller hits, not sure if this is gimped, since I thought that when a hit is not defended you get the full melee blast..

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

Maybe we are completely wrong, as we always snubbed DCI completely, so are not quite in the know. But logical thinking makes us wonder, does EI even qualify as Melee skill? If that were the case Mages would not need -Magery weapons or Wrestling for defense? :confused2:

Woops, this was the same thread, so edit:
What shard is this!? Someone on this forum should have a taming III for you!
Haha! The prices those likely go for we only want to pay for Castles, not a piece of paper (even though in a way it gives as much fun hehe). So we will patiently keep trying to score something else then Mysticism III ourselves hah! But to answer your question, we play on Europa. :) And we do keep items for new tamers, actually just dressed up one last night! Sometimes there are antique pieces among the items we give them, but we feel it is only a good thing if they learn about wear and tear of armor early on.

Last edited:

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
This tamer has +4 Mregen on most armor pieces.

He has no Cus and can run consume and cast till I'm bored.
Our tamer with 120 Meditation did a test last night on TC, in a full MR4 suit with 40LMC she could cast 11 (almost 12) Flamestrikes in a row before she ran out of mana without Consume. With Consume, that was reduced to 8 (almost 9), but the crux being the recovery of her mana. It hardly comes back up while Consume Damage is running?! Also not possible to med then, that stops rightaway due to the spell. So no, we were not impressed, we don't think consume is a spell that fits well with our damage dealing tamer. Rather have a tanky Feint pet that needs a couple of heals every now and then (and gift of renewal), allowing us to focus our mana on offensive spells with slayer books. And wear a luck suit instead of all MR4 pieces. But that is just our opinion.

Edit: Btw, YES! We got a Taming III primer shortly after complaining, it worked! Only used it on TC though, how to choose between 7 main tamers?? Well, one less, heh. Do people see a lot of improvement in their Whispers with a Taming III primer?

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Our tamer with 120 Meditation did a test last night on TC, in a full MR4 suit with 40LMC she could cast 11 (almost 12) Flamestrikes in a row before she ran out of mana without Consume. With Consume, that was reduced to 8 (almost 9), but the crux being the recovery of her mana. It hardly comes back up while Consume Damage is running?! Also not possible to med then, that stops rightaway due to the spell. So no, we were not impressed, we don't think consume is a spell that fits well with our damage dealing tamer. Rather have a tanky Feint pet that needs a couple of heals every now and then (and gift of renewal), allowing us to focus our mana on offensive spells with slayer books. And wear a luck suit instead of all MR4 pieces. But that is just our opinion.

Edit: Btw, YES! We got a Taming III primer shortly after complaining, it worked! Only used it on TC though, how to choose between 7 main tamers?? Well, one less, heh. Do people see a lot of improvement in their Whispers with a Taming III primer?
YAY Congrats!

Need more regen. Mine with better regens can cast heals or E bolts over and over and mana goes up in between. It has a learning curve to get used to it after you don't use it for so long. There's a post somewhere where I said the same thing about consume when I first got it.

Also if not already part of your build. Your Taming and Lore must be 120 real skill to use consume at a smaller mana cost.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The char has Lore, Tame, EI, Medi, Magery and SW at 120 (Magery working towards, now at 117's). And MR was near the max possible, 8x4MR + 3 on book, 2 on sash, epaulette and tangle, and 1 more on the cloak. 42 total if we don't mess up the counting, and we even seem to remember we read above 30 hardly helps due to diminishing returns on MR? Admitted, we had no Bard with Regens song playing, but other than this we don't see how to improve that. Can't fit in Focus for sure. You probably have a point with us needing to get used to it, but as it is we feel it will be more useful on one of our tanky tamers. Even if that messes up their stealthing, in some situations it will surely come in handy!

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The char has Lore, Tame, EI, Medi, Magery and SW at 120 (Magery working towards, now at 117's). And MR was near the max possible, 8x4MR + 3 on book, 2 on sash, epaulette and tangle, and 1 more on the cloak. 42 total if we don't mess up the counting, and we even seem to remember we read above 30 hardly helps due to diminishing returns on MR? Admitted, we had no Bard with Regens song playing, but other than this we don't see how to improve that. Can't fit in Focus for sure. You probably have a point with us needing to get used to it, but as it is we feel it will be more useful on one of our tanky tamers. Even if that messes up their stealthing, in some situations it will surely come in handy!
I'm curious about your setup, watching it would be interesting.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Tabby Kapak

If I could use both my toons at the same time I would do this. One gets the aggro and runs consume and Gheals as needed. The other watches pet and G Heals as needed. But they are free to cast spells, fields or whatever.

When the victim gets between 75 to 50% Life they start to hit less often and do less melee damage over time and they are out of Mana for spells. You can stop running consume and blast away. That is why we like the AI/Chiv pets, they have their full mana and hit the target hard and with two of them doing 250 damage every so often the victim loses stamina and the pets smell blood. At this point the pet mana is low. You hope that the pet will have cast EoO and Consecrate and will stay that way for a while.

So pretend the pet that is getting damaged is a Dexxer. Keep him alive. Gift of Renewal is awesome. Use those Spirituality points. Then when the damage slows you can both blast away. Soon you will be using WoD and end it.

@Gidge and I did Travesty the other day I think she is the toughest Peerless. We used two Cus. You have to be interactive but we did just fine. I keep her in a poison field. When a group does Dreadhorn we use a special entry method. Gidge runs consume so there is a 99% chance that she will get attacked first. She does. She runs as fast as she can to the other side and sometimes doesn't die. At this point all the pets are on the Evil Unicorn so no more deaths. Maybe call it the Sacrificial Gidge Method.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
@Tabby Kapak

If I could use both my toons at the same time I would do this. One gets the aggro and runs consume and Gheals as needed. The other watches pet and G Heals as needed. But they are free to cast spells, fields or whatever.

When the victim gets between 75 to 50% Life they start to hit less often and do less melee damage over time and they are out of Mana for spells. You can stop running consume and blast away. That is why we like the AI/Chiv pets, they have their full mana and hit the target hard and with two of them doing 250 damage every so often the victim loses stamina and the pets smell blood. At this point the pet mana is low. You hope that the pet will have cast EoO and Consecrate and will stay that way for a while.

So pretend the pet that is getting damaged is a Dexxer. Keep him alive. Gift of Renewal is awesome. Use those Spirituality points. Then when the damage slows you can both blast away. Soon you will be using WoD and end it.

@Gidge and I did Travesty the other day I think she is the toughest Peerless. We used two Cus. You have to be interactive but we did just fine. I keep her in a poison field. When a group does Dreadhorn we use a special entry method. Gidge runs consume so there is a 99% chance that she will get attacked first. She does. She runs as fast as she can to the other side and sometimes doesn't die. At this point all the pets are on the Evil Unicorn so no more deaths. Maybe call it the Sacrificial Gidge Method.
Nice! By the way what are the stats/skills for your archer-tamer? Do you use mage-xx weapons off the magery or using Archery skill and Chiv? I might make my "bum" tamer into that if that works well. Thanks in advance. Also not too much funds there for gear or crafter there. But there are decent stuff in VS if you are careful, in ATL.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use prismatic Lenses Britches of warding and Gloves of Feudal Grip. The rest is Reforged Studded pieces except the gorget which is leather but has high resists to make up for rest.

upload_2019-2-4_21-14-1.png

Can run consume for 2 mins with no shooting. Longer if shooting. Forever if hitting with a slayer bow.
Archer does a lot more damage than pet.

Have to stay out of aggro. I am real slow with invis potions.

Will not go into how fast he and his Cu can kill a Para Balron. He can kill the mage faster than pet can gain 25% so I have to not always do damage.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I use prismatic Lenses Britches of warding and Gloves of Feudal Grip. The rest is Reforged Studded pieces except the gorget which is leather but has high resists to make up for rest.

View attachment 93173

Can run consume for 2 mins with no shooting. Longer if shooting. Forever if hitting with a slayer bow.
Archer does a lot more damage than pet.

Have to stay out of aggro. I am real slow with invis potions.

Will not go into how fast he and his Cu can kill a Para Balron. He can kill the mage faster than pet can gain 25% so I have to not always do damage.
Very nice! Ty for post.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a "tank" CU, that i mostly use for Rikkitor, he has however eaten all the others fel champs as well with ease.
120 in all skills, except medi,focus.
Enhancements AI.
1k HP.
Pet has 85 cold resist.
I never heal the pet, and he does fine, my tamer is archer-tamer. (i don't run consume)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I have a "tank" CU, that i mostly use for Rikkitor, he has however eaten all the others fel champs as well with ease.
Enhancements AI.
1k HP.
Pet has 85 cold resist.
I never heal the pet, and he does fine, my tamer is archer-tamer. (i don't run consume)
Just AI, no other enhancements and no magic?(Chiv?)?

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Enhancements AI.
1k HP.
Pet has 85 cold resist.
Can he tank Rikktor ALONE, without you healing/vetting?

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Enhancements AI.
1k HP.
Pet has 85 cold resist.
Could you please share your template and play style? I’ve been wanting to make an archer tamer but not sure where to start.

My thought was to use a Cu with Disco/AI or a rune beetle.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That build would also work for Death Ray. Get a Discord+Conductive Blast Cu or Unicorn, then run Death Ray on the mob while the pet tanks. If someone else in your group has Discord, then you can go with Chiv on the pet. Between Disco+Conductive Blast, i've seen Death Ray tick for 430+ damage every 3 secs before with 120 Magery/120 Eval/Lvl 3 Primer and a Lesser Slayer Spellbook. It's like half a WoD every 3 secs at any health level.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can he tank Rikktor ALONE, without you healing/vetting?
More or less he can, Pet has 85 cold resist, so he barely takes any damage from rikkitors AOE. If pet goes low in hp, witch he rarely does i just mount him, and finish rikkitor with AI mounted.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could you please share your template and play style? I’ve been wanting to make an archer tamer but not sure where to start.

My thought was to use a Cu with Disco/AI or a rune beetle.
Template is straight forward.
120 archery
120 tame, 120 lore
100 ana, 90 heal, 110 tact
080 chiv / Bushido
Pet all guard me, magical short bow (100% cold damage) , hit area special...and pet runs around killing stuff till champ is up.
champ up, all kill champ, AI AI AI..

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Consume Damage only works against Physical Damage. It does nothing for Fire/Cold/Poison/Energy damage. Against something like a Para Cu, which does 50% Cold/50% Energy, both Empowerment and Consume Damage do nothing. Berserk will work against that, but only for 8 seconds, then a 60 second cooldown (bleh).

For a pure Tank Cu, Feint. At GM Bushido, Feint will reduce the damage the Cu takes by 41% for 6 secs. At 120 Bushido, it'll reduce it by 50% for 6 secs. Combine this with a Cu's self healing capability, and they're extremely tanky. Go for a Cu with high Health and 70 Cold/85 Energy Resist for this build.

The Saurosaurus is another Extreme Tank pet. They can spawn with up to 85 Physical/90 Fire Resist, and come with Life Leech. Insanely tanky against most foes (especially most Dragon types). You can't add any more Specials on a Saurosaurus though.
I thought you couldn't add Bushido to non-Tokuno pets, does Feint add the Bushido? And then you can scroll it?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I thought you couldn't add Bushido to non-Tokuno pets, does Feint add the Bushido? And then you can scroll it?
Feint adds fake Bushido, like frenzied whirlwind adds fake Ninjitsu.

It can be scrolled to 120, but the bushido and ninjitsu act as an ability modifier, you don't get the added bonuses that you would if you added the real "magic ability" Bushido or Ninjitsu, which needs to be added to a pet from Tokuno.

You wouldn't get the full benefits of Feint or FWW without having ninjtsu or bushido added.

ysolt

Seasoned Veteran
All this talk about Bushido,make's me wonder if the mana reduction from skill's apply to pet as they would to a player?

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'm about to start training my "tanking" cu and thought I'd see if there were any thoughts on this build I worked up. I think I did this late one night, so it's totally possible I missed or messed something up.
tank cu.PNG

I was thinking about going with 5 SR and put the 60 points into more mana, but I'm also thinking the 10 SR could be more useful given I'm building this one for the Exodus peerless

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have a pet with 120 bushido and 120 parry but somehow 120 mystic and 120 healing feels more reliable, somhow...

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm about to start training my "tanking" cu and thought I'd see if there were any thoughts on this build I worked up. I think I did this late one night, so it's totally possible I missed or messed something up.
View attachment 94346

I was thinking about going with 5 SR and put the 60 points into more mana, but I'm also thinking the 10 SR could be more useful given I'm building this one for the Exodus peerless
Bring Tactics down to GM, Resist and Healing up to 120.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yes. Tactics adds barely any damage for a pet, and it's expensive. For a tank pet, the 120 Resist and 120 Healing would be much more useful.
Thank you for the quick reply, I'll go with the updated plan. Time to go shopping for resist and healing scrolls, lol

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
he has however eaten all the others fel champs as well with ease.
Enhancements AI.
1k HP.
Pet has 85 cold resist.
I never heal the pet, and he does fine,
Eh? Also Semidar? We really find AI on our pets to be troublesome against her, with that triple reflect effect.

Pet has 85 cold resist, so he barely takes any damage from rikkitors AOE
Is his Earthquake cold based damage? We assumed it would be physical since the Earthquake Spell is as well?