• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming Sloow progress..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
My tamer is real taming 76 and gaining very slowly from polar bears and snow leopards, white wolves etc.
Bulls very slow with rings also..
Got to get him to 90 so he can benefit from the Level II mastery book he has.
Is there something I am missing to make gains faster? This is slower than molasses..

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My tamer is real taming 76 and gaining very slowly from polar bears and snow leopards, white wolves etc.
Bulls very slow with rings also..
Got to get him to 90 so he can benefit from the Level II mastery book he has.
Is there something I am missing to make gains faster? This is slower than molasses..
Other than using pinks and blues, you aren't really missing anything. Most people I know who level tamers these days use Mythic character tokens. $25 at the UO store (or 110m gold in game) saves a lot of headache and real life hours~ There is also the deluxe starter kit with the week long alacrity.

You end up paying for taming any way you do it, be it with cash, gold or time.

Nearly 20 years ago, it took me 6 months to GM taming, and that was with taming daily. Tamers have it pretty easy these days with all the additional options to accelerate their way to GM and beyond.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Besides the tokens and pink / blue scrolls, you can only speed up taming (and other skill) gains considerably if you're able to reduce your overall skill sum as low as possible with the help of some soul stones!

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Took me years to get 120 taming... snipped ...
Me too. My first and only legendary tamer so far was locked @ GM taming from about august 2009 to march 2017. Having begun taming around late spring / early summer 2008 from 33.x taming (!) Stupid me back then!

After a short break between 2016 and spring 2017, she finally worked it up to legendary in only about two weeks of 'bank sitting' with a pet and using masteries.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Appreciate the info.. I find it interesting that if you have less skill total, gains may be faster. To reduce other skills if no soulstones, is 1x1 points right? In other words as long as Focus skill arrow is turned down to reduce the 0.1 point with each taming gain or 0.1 point, it will work? (I hope). Been loong time that I had to do something like that..Ty again. You guys and Stratics are priceless..

Summoned

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All you need is a lvl1 taming masteries and case the mastery over and over again.. You can go from 85 to 120 in about 8 hours.... Very easy to do these days.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last edited:

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All you need is a lvl1 taming masteries and case the mastery over and over again.. You can go from 85 to 120 in about 8 hours.... Very easy to do these days.
should read ... "You can go from 90 to 120 ..." as you NEED to have 90.0 "real" skill points to use any skill masteries ...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Dont you have to have reat taming skill of 90 to use the mastery?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never use rings or bracelet or talisman with taming or lore on when training - it only slows down the gains.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We disagree Mandrake, we feel it is much better to go from 50 to 55 to be ready for taming an unlimited supply of Polar Bears. Below 55 one hardly succeeds so that slows gains down a lot. For us this method worked a treat anyway, on at least 5 tamers. For one or two tamers we also used this method to get up to great heart levels, because of their unlimited supply in the healer's grove. It worked but not sure if it worked better than alternatives. There seems a gap between polars and great hearts.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We disagree Mandrake, we feel it is much better to go from 50 to 55 to be ready for taming an unlimited supply of Polar Bears. Below 55 one hardly succeeds so that slows gains down a lot. For us this method worked a treat anyway, on at least 5 tamers. For one or two tamers we also used this method to get up to great heart levels, because of their unlimited supply in the healer's grove. It worked but not sure if it worked better than alternatives. There seems a gap between polars and great hearts.
"Technically" AND "principally" (!), Mandrake of DF is correct - the lower your skill sum, the faster you gain - any skill - it's that simple!

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
"Technically" AND "principally" (!), Mandrake of DF is correct - the lower your skill sum, the faster you gain on every attempt - any skill - it's that simple!
Fixed your post for you... and therein lies the key here. The more you have to work to find targets to tame, the slower your gains... Now we are not sure if there is a certain group of animals close to one another and respawning quickly, (not even mentioning possible to hand in at the zoo) that gets one to 55 nice n quick. If you can point that out, we stand corrected. Otherwise you are forgetting an important part of the equation ioho.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, go get one of the Crystal Ball of Knowledge things from a quest in Ter Mur Royal City.

It gives you a difficulty of every skill use attempt (you tend to need to look for things that are "optimal" or the next hardest level of difficulty).

Another idea is to partner with another tamer in training - you can tame creatures and release them, as they do - then you each try to tame the pets the others just released. This allows you to attempt easier tames, then harder ones from the once-tamed by others, faster.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
What success chance we should be looking at? 50% or 60-70% for increased gains? (Using the Stratics taming guide and it may be way outdated but not sure its been a looong time since I trained my 1st tamer..lol).

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Optimal is described at 55ish but I go for 60 on trade skills because of resource loss.
Mana based skills I go for optimal, but taming is an outlier because it’s availablility and time consuming

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Optimal" from the CBoK you'll get with a taming chance range from 40-60% ... Basara ... post #08 a tad bit earlier ... ;-)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't take my approximations as gospel.

The one thing about the system is that where the challenging/difficult/optimal/easy/very easy/too easy breaks almost seem to be subjective to the skill and the player.

About the only thing certain is that "Too Easy" is after 100%, but not necessarily the "real" too easy (the display is affected by equipment, which may slow skill gains, but many skills you can still get gains as long as the real skill level is within the possibility of a gain.

Optimal, depending on skill, typically shows up somewhere in the 50-55% range, BUT..... I often get my quickest gains on stuff from 40-55% (especially in the crafting skills) - sometimes as low as 35%-45%. So, I'm not sure that the person who programmed the balls (or the item before it that did the same thing) was fully aware of how the gain system worked, and was making their "best guess" at the ranges. (see: Braving Britannia's interviews with the first 2-3 generations of coders, and how the later coders had to deal with code that was barely documented or commented, because of the EA belief that MMOs would be like stand-alones, and have a 6-18 month lifespan, and never last so long that there would be a need to tell a new coding team what stuff did).

That there seems to be such a variation on gain chance from skill to skill, is why I suggested starting so well below the display of "optimal" - as that "Optimal" range for me was always sub-par compared to the 10-20% before I hit it. This is more apparent in crafting skills that start at 0% chance (Smith, Imbuing), than others (like tailoring) were you start at 50% success chance to make an item. I had similar experience training up Mysticism and Spellweaving - the range just shy of optimum gave better gains than "Optimum" itself. In fact, I usually took hitting "Optimum" as a sign to change my Imbuing make item to be more difficult (and used less materials overall as a result, than someone who stayed on that item through "optimum", even though I was using 1-2 more gems each attempt).

But... With Taming, you get a Taming gain generally only on success, so "optimal" might actually be better - yet you can get Lore gains during the tame process, success or fail, so you can start lower.

So, what I'm really suggesting is that you use a Knowledge Ball to see what range you seem to be gaming best on, then use that as your guide -and realize that the range shifts from skill to skill, and might not line up with the terminology of the ball itself.