• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming a GD

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy folks,

So, I'm a returning player, skill set is where it needs to be to tame and control (real, mod, max):
tame..101.1/110/110
lore..110/110/110
vet..108.9/108.9/110
eval..100/100/100
mage..100/100/100
resist..100/100/110
med..100/100/100

It's been a longggg time since I've done taming. I've tamed in the past ( I have my WW, Drag, a few CU's, Rune and Mare, all done solo ) so I HAD the skills, but have to remember the old skills of lead taming...and I'm sure there's more to taming now than just lead taming.

Went to Destard and attempted (for the hell of it) a tame on a GD, and didn't even get close, was smoked rather quickly....multiple times, but it was fun and exciting! I'm out practicing lead taming now, but would like to know if anyone has some tips on GD Taming? Maybe a change up in the template, something other than a high fire resist suit? Hit me with it!!

Your help and comments are appreciated.

Mac

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Work up your honor to at least high follower level. Once you identify the dragon you want, honor yourself, invis quickly to break any aggros from the dragon you want or others in the vicinity, and then go to town taming them. It is absolutely the easiest way to do it without getting the crap beat out of you. You can also have a bard friend peace it, but the honor taming method works better by far. Best way to work honor in my opinion is second level of the dojo. Lure the ronin down the hall, then go back in and honor the succubus then kill her with a cu. You can make knight in a couple hours, high follower level should only take an hour or an hour and a half.

Daga Taga

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Work up your honor to at least high follower level. Once you identify the dragon you want, honor yourself, invis quickly to break any aggros from the dragon you want or others in the vicinity, and then go to town taming them. It is absolutely the easiest way to do it without getting the crap beat out of you. You can also have a bard friend peace it, but the honor taming method works better by far. Best way to work honor in my opinion is second level of the dojo. Lure the ronin down the hall, then go back in and honor the succubus then kill her with a cu. You can make knight in a couple hours, high follower level should only take an hour or an hour and a half.
This is how I do it most of the time too. Don't forget the Greater's on Fire Island at the Temple also. Sometimes I find decent ones there too.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's what I used to do, but it means running 2 clients simultaneously. On one account I have a char with Hiding/Stealth/Animal Lore and Herding. She would go in (Fire Island Temple) and bring out (stealth/herd) the worst GD there - to my tamer outside with her (very good, fully trained) GD. The tamer's GD would kill the unwanted GD causing more to spawn. Rinse/repeat. When she had one that had good stats, she'd take her tame GD back to the stables, recall back and tame (Honor tame, by far the best as expressed here) the nice GD. Really easy with Honor..... Oh, and don't forget to check the room below, quite often there'll be a good GD in there. But the 2nd char as Stealth/Herder makes it all that much easier.

Just sayin......

;)

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good advice about taming in this thread
If u are alone honor taming is the best way to tame one lead taming works better if u have someone to heal u and help u beat the gd down

Fire temple is a popular place to farm for Greater dragons what most people do is lead away all other spawn that is inside the room but the gd that spawn there then just kill and let it respawn

For the lone tamer that struggle with killing a gd there is a another way of farming
In Wind along the south part there is a place where a lone gd spawn what u do is lead away all demons and normal dragons to the east and leav the lone gd there
When u farm them just drag the gd one screen to the west inside the town and get it guard whacked (this is wery close to abusing game mechanics i have no idea if this is legal to do)
Anyway it is not a fast way to farm the re spawn timer on the gd in wind is slow and often the gd get stuck that is why i think it should be ok to do

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Back when i used to tame GDs, i used to purely solo lead tame them. Didn't use Honor, didn't have a peacer or anyone to heal me, and no beat down of the Greater Dragon (What a ******** name, they should call it a "Great Wyrm"). I'd just keep a few steps ahead of it while wearing a full 70's suit with 45% DCI, -0 Mage Wep and 2/6 Casting. Whenever he'd hit me with spells, i'd mini heal spam while still keeping just a few paces away from him. When i'd see him begin to breathe, i'd run a bit, and get a Greater Heal up for when it hit. Only times i ever died was early on when they first started spawning, when they were capable of doing ridiculous combos like Firebreath+Poison+Teleport+Bite. I also have 120 Taming/120 Lore real though on my Tamer/Mage.
Above GM Vet really isn't necessary, considering you have a 100% success chance at curing even Lethal Poison on your pet at GM. All going above GM Vet does really is increase your pet rez success rate (You have a 64% chance to rez at GM Vet, and 100% chance at 120 Vet, so you save maybe a bandy or two each time you need to rez, at the cost of 20.0 skillpoints...), and give you an extra stable slot. The extra 20 points in Vet barely increases the amount of damage healed, not really worth the extra skillpoints.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.....Above GM Vet really isn't necessary, considering you have a 100% success chance at curing even Lethal Poison on your pet at GM. All going above GM Vet does really is increase your pet rez success rate (You have a 64% chance to rez at GM Vet, and 100% chance at 120 Vet, so you save maybe a bandy or two each time you need to rez, at the cost of 20.0 skillpoints...), and give you an extra stable slot. The extra 20 points in Vet barely increases the amount of damage healed, not really worth the extra skillpoints.
Absolutely correct, save the 20 points !
;)

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I peace-tame greater dragons. 120 peace/120 music with jewels.

I like to do this in the clearing south of the Daemon Temple on the Isle of Fire, but I've done it in Destard as well (preferably away from spawn).

I have an area-peace macro set (i.e. use peace skill on yourself).

Find a dragon and area-peace near it. Walk up to the dragon and when the music stops (i.e. your skill timer resets), start spamming your tame macro.

You'll get 5-10 attempts in (mostly failures). As soon as the dragon takes a step towards you, hit the area peace macro again to stop his aggression.

Regroup and retry.

Once you get a successful attempt, you'll lead-tame the dragon, walking forward while he angrily follows you. Stay a few steps in front of the dragon, but don't get too far away. Otherwise, your tame attempt will fail. In the time it takes to either succeed or fail at the tame attempt, you'll usually take 1 fire breath. (G-drags do 100% physical damage so make sure your armor suit is maxed out on physical resist). If you fail, immediately hit the area peace key. Heal up if necessary and start again.

If you succeed, voila!

It took me about a week of dying to get the timing of the macros down, but now that I have it, it's fairly easy and I rarely die. If you get into a situation where the dragon is pounding on you, just area peace and run away.

Area peace gives just enough time to get into position and hit macros. It's not a long peace like directly peaceing a creature, but direct peace often fails on high level monsters like g-drags. Having a dragon slayer instrument helps.

I like this way because I don't need to worry about honor points or really anything... it's all skill based. And there's a little bit of adrenaline involved to keep it interesting.

krilov

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've tamed all the pets around all by myself by using different templates too.
Preferred location...well desdard.Easier and faster to farm gds waiting for a good one.
Never used honor, nor peace and even without mage-weapon/dci at all .

All the things above might make the process easier (maybe..and i doubt it) but they aren't a must at all.
The 1st suggestion is having at least 110 hp imo.Any lower hp than that may not ensure u survaivability if u got cursed and he casts some gg combo.
Then i would focus on having max phisic,flame and a gg energy resist at least.
The 2nd suggestion is check both your stamina and your mana and be sure to have some stami reg+random food to eat 4recovering back istasntly some stami (keep in mind you go on foot and when u got hitted u lose stami pretty fast), then lmc, and a good mana reg. in order to counter the mana drain...drain that gds uses to cast quite often.
About bleeding, u can't do nothing: it can be stopped just with bandages or nullified if you use a necro form like wraith or lich.So when u got bleeded...it's when u are more vulerable, especially if u run in 2/6

Said this, u need to almost kill the gd; the lower is the hp the slower he moves and easier to tame will be...with some good exceptions.
If you feel confident and sure about yourself,your equipment & skills...well u can leave the gd with enough hp so that he keeps following you (not at full speed..btw)
avoiding the annoying Tp-sessions he uses to do quite often when he's almost dead.
It's up to ya.

An important key when facing Gds is not to go too far from him, especially in critic situations...like when u are mana drained.
If you feel panic and start running away without thinking of it...be sure you'll be roasted with a breath.So the secret here is to be always quite near him...not too near or you'll get bleeded.
Then learn his combo..usually, he ends the combo with a poison...so be always ready to cure yourself in spite of healing.Timing properly what u do is vital.
Also when u see him casting the annoying fireballs combo.Don't spam heal there it will be just stopped quite surely..but wait a bit.
Turn on the audio: hear and recognize when he's going to hit ;)

The last suggestion is: go there with at least 112 taming(possibly 120 - so that u make things faster) and check your equipment: be sure not to wear items with repel attack property; it will nullify the taming process; as well as a weapon.Do not hit him, otherwise the taming will stop.

Hope it helped-