• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamer/Archer?

Lady Arwen

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone here play a tamer/archer? Do you use it for PvP or PvM? and what is a common template for them ?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've played a template like this for both PvM and PvP. Powerful, effective, fun. My template looks like this:

Archer/Chiv/Tamer
120 archery
120 tactics
115 lore
110 taming
110 vet
80 chivalry
60 meditation

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Chivalry will do the trick pretty good. You can get Chivalry up to Fc 4 FCR 6. The only draw back is if you ever get Mana Vamp or Drained. Use a pot if that happens. Either have a Balanced bow, or set a UOA macro to disarm then drink the pot.

If your use to playing a mage tamer. You will miss having Invso. Warrior & Archer tamer probable take more dirt naps than mages when fighting the big game.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just to add, the archer/tamer template is one of the few that has recently presented much difficulty to me one on one in pvp. I'm not saying you will rule in pvp with this template, but it is a strong template that certainly can do well in pvp if it is well played.

L

Luke Carjacker

I have one I use in PvP. Skills are as follows:

Archery 120
Taming 115
Lore 100
Healing 95
Bushido 90
Tactics 90
Anatomy 81
Chivalry 65

My setup requires a hunter's headdress, and 2 jewelry slots imbued with +skill. This template has the same basic set of skills as an ABC archer, but obviously the skill levels outside archery are lower (along with +skill gear) to allow for taming and lore.

This template works well for me because it's very flexible. In certain situations, like a big field fight, I can fight like an archer. Certainly not as effective as a pure archer because of compromises in skill points, stats and gear, but not bad. Can still beat like 80% of the same people I can with a pure bushido archer.

Where the template really shines of course is if you can put your pet into play. I used to prefer a fully trained Cu Sidhe over a Dread, because the template doesn't include vet and a Cu can keep itself alive for far longer. However I've recently gotten my hands on some really nice Bane Dragons that I've been leaning towards more. A combination of dismount, mortal strike, paralyze blow are really effective in combination with a poison spitting Bane.

For defense, this template has healing, bushido confidence and potions. Again, not at the same levels as a pure archer template, but definitely still highly survivable. I know some people like the stealth archer/tamer thing. I guess I just like to be more involved in the fighting on a full-time basis.

I've never really seen the attraction of archer/tamer in PvM, as compared to some Mage/Tamer combo. In PvM, the ability to Vet is huge - you can heal large chunks of damage; and personally I wouldn't give up the ability to heal pets from a distance that Magery or Mysticism offers these days. Damage output of an archer might be slightly better than a mage, but to me not worth the trade-offs of not being able to heal from distance, invis, etc.

N

NickyDishes

120 archery
120 taming
110 lore
120 resist
90 heal
90 anat
90 tactics
pvp capable of pvm but not recomended

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
how do you heal then? with chiv?
I do pretty much what Zalan suggested. With 4/6 casting, chiv heals work fine for any PvM encounter. For PvP, I add balanced bows and pots. :thumbup1:

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My PVM tamer/archer:

115 Animal Lore
110 Animal Taming
100 Archery (120 with Hunter's Headdress)
70 Chivalry
115 Magery
100 Tactics

Then I will use 100 Vet/Meditation/Spirit Speak depending on the situation - generally I'll have Meditation, but if I'm not fighting with other tamers I'll put Vet on, and if I'm fighting a monster with a large mana pool I'll put on Spirit Speak and get into Wraith form (using the human JOAT to keep me in form). I use a set of spell channeling slayer bows so it works well in almost any PVM situation, the only drawback is because the suit needs mods for both mage and warrior the resists suffer but its workable - they are in the 50s at least :)

2 year old account so only a 710 skillcap right now :)

Lady Arwen

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My PVM tamer/archer:

115 Animal Lore
110 Animal Taming
100 Archery (120 with Hunter's Headdress)
70 Chivalry
115 Magery
100 Tactics

Then I will use 100 Vet/Meditation/Spirit Speak depending on the situation - generally I'll have Meditation, but if I'm not fighting with other tamers I'll put Vet on, and if I'm fighting a monster with a large mana pool I'll put on Spirit Speak and get into Wraith form (using the human JOAT to keep me in form). I use a set of spell channeling slayer bows so it works well in almost any PVM situation, the only drawback is because the suit needs mods for both mage and warrior the resists suffer but its workable - they are in the 50s at least :)

2 year old account so only a 710 skillcap right now :)
Hmm, thats an interesting template. I take it since you dont have eval you just use magery for heals, gates, etc?

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep pretty much just for long range heals on pet, since Chivalry has only a 2 range tile or something and Vet even less. I do have GM Eval on a stone but I rarely if ever put it onto that char.

Y

YellowStarS2k

I've played a template like this for both PvM and PvP. Powerful, effective, fun. My template looks like this:

Archer/Chiv/Tamer
120 archery
120 tactics
115 lore
110 taming
110 vet
80 chivalry
60 meditation
This is my direction, but this only contains 715 points. Subtracting 35 for Hunter's Headdress and 1 jewel, that leaves an extra 40 points for something else.
Any suggestions on where to put those 40 points?

Also, why |115 lore and 110 taming| and not |110 lore and 115 taming|?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'd put the remaining 40 points into meditation. This will allow you to chain more specials. Alternatively, you could put some points into spellweaving for gift of renewal/attunement.

I went 115 lore/110 taming because lore is easier to raise. I don't use this character for taming - I prefer to use a mage/tamer, who can cast invisibility to break aggression. This character only needs the skill for pet control. 115/110 gives me optimal control of all pets, including banes and dreads. If you plan to do a lot of taming, you could consider reversing this to 110 lore/115 taming.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This is my direction, but this only contains 715 points. Subtracting 35 for Hunter's Headdress and 1 jewel, that leaves an extra 40 points for something else.
Any suggestions on where to put those 40 points?

Also, why |115 lore and 110 taming| and not |110 lore and 115 taming|?
I'd put those 40 points in to med. You are going to use a lot of mana between the chiv and weapon specials, mana is going to be important. As for the 115/110, If I were you I would make it 115 taming/110 lore on the off chance you actually want to tame something. But it's a lot harder to train up to 115 taming than it is to train up to 115 lore. So if you are absolutely certain you aren't going to tame anything with that character, 115 lore would be easier.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'd put those 40 points in to med. You are going to use a lot of mana between the chiv and weapon specials, mana is going to be important. As for the 115/110, If I were you I would make it 115 taming/110 lore on the off chance you actually want to tame something. But it's a lot harder to train up to 115 taming than it is to train up to 115 lore. So if you are absolutely certain you aren't going to tame anything with that character, 115 lore would be easier.
Almost word-for-word. Great minds fist bump?

But you left out the spellweaving tip. *shame, shame*

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Almost word-for-word. Great minds fist bump?

But you left out the spellweaving tip. *shame, shame*
Sometimes I'm not too clever. I actually skimmed what you posted, but didn't read it carefully enough to realize I was just repeating your post... Well damnit, it was good advice... :stretcher:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ah. Thought we were probably typing the same thing, at the same time, but I hit "submit" a bit quicker. hehe

Y

YellowStarS2k

Thanks guys for the expert advice from the both of you!!
I think I'll go with Med. I've never tried SW (returning newbie).
And I think I'll go with 115 taming, since with the +15 jewel, I'm only 4 points away from 100. :) (Or would you guys think that the extra +taming attribute would be better spent on something else?)

Sorry for another newbie question, but what do your stats look like for that char? Seems like you need all 3: str, dex, and int!

Thanks again!

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
For stats, try to reach 150 stamina. Stamina determines your swing speed and bows tend to be slow. (Note that stamina benefits swing speed in 30-point increments, so 179 stamina will have the same effect on swing speed as 150 stamina and 149 will have the same effect as 120).

For mana, I believe I have 84 mana (46 int). My character is an elf, so I get a mana boost.

My strength is 110, hp is 118.

Y

YellowStarS2k

:) Thanks for that. I still thought swing speed was based on dex.

Also, should I use natural skill or use a + skill jewel? I mean is it worth an extra attribute?
Thanks for helping the newbie. :)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Right, dexterity has an effect on swing speed, but swing speed is ultimately based on stamina. Your dexterity contributes to your total stamina, but you can also increase your stamina through stamina-increasing items.

You can only reach 125 dex (125 stamina) naturally, which means you'll have to rely on some combination of dexterity increasing and stamina increasing items. For your tamer/archer suit, aim for the following mods: 150 stamina, 45 hci, 40 lower mana cost, and as much damage increase and mana regeneration as you can squeeze in.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Been playing this temp for about 6 years. It works well for me in Spawns (even when raided), PvM. Never been one to do the Fel Yew gate crap.

100 Anatomy
115 Animal Lore
111 Animal Taming
120 Archery
64 Chivalry
95 Healing
106 Tactics
110 Vet

Very very very tight and item dependent temp tho. You can tell that due to the 821 skill points above. It was difficult to have that AND full 70's but now with imbuing it's easy.

Bardie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 - Archery
120 - bushido
115 - Taming
110 - Lore
110 - Vet
110 - Tact
85 - chiv

still have points left over 2 :) absolutely love this char. can heal with both chiv and confidence...and just hit 48 months so now have extra 5, plus i think i still have another 9 points to spare to. I'll post his equipment later, pretty item dependent atleast my jewels and hunters headress, might experiment later see what i can work out with imbuing since this char was made b4 that.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Looks like a great one. Where are you getting the extra 50 skill points? Hunters and jewels?

Bardie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like a great one. Where are you getting the extra 50 skill points? Hunters and jewels?
Thanks, he's a blast to play...item bonus list below:

Library Tali - +10 (5 Lore, 5 Taming)
Hunters Headress +20 (archery)
Ring - +8 Vet, +8 Bush, +12 Taming, 1 FC, DI 21 (from moo'guur lockbox)
Brac - +12 Taming, Dex 7, HCI 11, FC 1, FC2

Need to see if i can better with imbued items now.