• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Talismans Guide

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually I was unable to find any good talisman guide, so I've decided to write one.

WHERE TO FIND TALISMANS

Talismans can be found in any ML creature, but the really good ones can be found only in 2 places:

1) Strong boxes
Best way to farm this is doing the Travesty with many people and gather the minax orders from the ground (it spawn 1 order for each person in the area). This quest can be done only once per character BUT you can make new characters to do the quest :p
Strong boxes can also have from 0 to 4 relic items inside ;)

2) ML Peerless loot
There are many peerless that can be done easily in solo, but the chance to get a good talisman without luck is very low, so if you want to gather talismans remember to go with high luck suit.
Peerless also usually drop 2-3 relic items (much more with a luck suit).

3) Alchemy and inscription better talismans can be get from the britain library: My Book and Treatise on Alchemy talismans. You have just to waste some gold/resources to get this, but you have good chance to get a good talisman.

WHAT TALISMANS WORTH TO HAVE

There are talismans for every crafting skill, but are all them necessary?
No, and now I'll give more details skill by skill:

Blacksmith
Blacksmith once to 120 have high chance to make everything, with an ancient smith hammer +30 you have 100% success and exceptional on almost everything.
So you DON'T need a talisman for blacksmith.
Also a high level (25% or more exceptional) Blacksmithing talisman can be used in conjuction with a +15 Ancient Smith Hammer, instead of using an ASH +30, for most crafting (I think everything except the platemail Kabuto helms, and maybe the Platemail Do).

Tailoring
Tailoring at 120 allow you to make many items at 100% success (like the leather armors), but if you need to make items like the gargish or studded armors, you need a talisman.
- If you want to make gargish leather, studded or bone armors exceptional, you need to find a talisman with 2% success chance bonus and 30% exceptional
- If you want to make gargish cloth armors, you need a 30% success chance and 30% exceptional talisman, but still you will reach up to 82% chance to make the chest.

Alchemy
Due to the addition of the black powder alchemy requires a 30% success chance talisman. Around you can find talismans with exceptional chances on alchemy but don't waste your money to try getting the 30% exceptional, because alchemy have nothing that can be made exceptional (except the howering wisp - useless)!

Glassblowing
Glassblowing allow to make a lot of deco items and few useful thing that unfortunately requires a higher success bonus. So glassblowing requires at least 30% success chance bonus in order to make the soulstone fragment at 90% chances. The exceptional bonus can be avoided since the only thing that would requires that bonus are the glass staff and glass sword that actually are not so good...

Carpentry
Carpentry requires an high bonus in order to make the woodland armor succesfully, the bramble coat and the others craftable armors will requires more success chance but actually have no use. Thanks to the woodworker's bench, you can use a less powerfull talisman.
- For a cheap and optimal use of the skill you need to use a 25% bonus and 27% exceptional and you'll be able to make everything with 100% success (except the artifacts armors).
- If you really want to make the artifact armors at 95% success instead of 90%, then you need a 30% success and 27% exceptional

Masonry
Masonry allow you to make some deco items and the gargish stone armor. Unfortunately the success chance in almost every item is very low so you need a 30% success chance and 30% exceptional talisman. Exceptional chance can be avoided if you don't care to make stone armors.

Bowcraft
To being able to make almost everything with high success chance you need a 30% success and 30% exceptional bonus talisman.

Cooking
Cooking allow you to make few useful things, but unfortunately some of them requires high bonus, so you need a 30% success chance talisman. The exceptional chance can be ignored, since there are no bonus in use exceptional cooking items...

Tinkering
Tinkering has a lot of items that requires a high bonus (like the pendant of the magi). So you need a 30% success chance talisman and ignore the exceptional chance, since there is no bonus to make exceptional items (except the few weapons and few tools that do not have 100% success chances but costs 2 ingots to retry)

Making spellbooks have a low success chance so you need the higher bonus: 30% success chance talisman.
The exceptional chance is almost useless if you don't want an high chance to make exceptional runebooks.

Cartography
You'll need a 30% success bonus only to make the tattered wall map.
The bonus do not influence the success of decoding a treasure map.

STRONGBOX QUESTS

Elder Brae the Wise (Sanctuary): kill 1 shimmering effusion. Gives 3 strongbox - ONCE PER CHARACTER

Lorekeeper Siarra the Keeper of Tradition (Heartwood): kill 1 shimmering effusion. Gives 3 strongbox - ONCE PER CHARACTER

Yorus the Tinker (Compassion Gypsy Camp): kill 1 irk, 1 guile, 1 spite - ONCE PER CHARACTER

Sarakki the Notary (Britain): obtain the minax order (in the loot of the travesty). Gives 3 strongbox - ONCE PER CHARACTER

Lorekeeper Calendor the Keeper of Tradition (Heartwood): kill 1 dread horn. Gives 3 strongbox - ONCE PER CHARACTER

Lorekeeper Oolua the Keeper of Tradition (Sanctuary): kill 1 dread horn. Gives 3 strongbox - ONCE PER CHARACTER

Dallid the Cook (Sanctuary): kill 3 boss inside the sanctuary (heavy spawn of changeling, rat mages, ratman archers, gargoyles, succubi) (too high the risk vs reward)

Elder Acob the Wise (Heartwood): kill 1 Serpent's Fang High Executioner, 1 Tiger's Claw Thief, 1 Dragon's Flame Mage in The Citadel (slow spawn, requires too much time)

Lorekeeper Broolol the Keeper of Tradition (Heartwood): deliver 3 minotaur artifacts (from labyrinth) and a Fragment of a Map (from priests of mondain loot) (if you gather enoug minotaurs artifacts, gaman horn and priest of mondain's map is the best)

Lorekeeper Rollarn the Keeper of Tradition (Sanctuary): deliver 3 minotaur artifacts (from labyrinth) and a Fragment of a Map (from priests of mondain loot) (if you gather enough minotaurs artifacts, gaman horn and priest of mondain's map is the best)

Correspondence from Minax (item in the travesty room): deliver the item to Sarakky (Britain) (if you gather enough is very good, but you have to farm the travesty a lot of times)

I think that's all what is worth to know about talismans, but there is always space to add more :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I take issue on the characterization of the Blacksmith Talismans.

A high level (25% or more exceptional) Blacksmithing talisman can be used in conjuction with a +15 Ancient Smith Hammer, instead of using an ASH +30, for most crafting (I think everything except the platemail Kabuto helms, and maybe the Platemail Do).

Not everyone has an ASH +60 for enhancing, and can't afford to waste their few ASH +30s on mere crafting attempts (especially to fill BODs), when they need them for enhancing. You can therefore use a Blacksmith Talisman and the much more common ASH +15 (or ASH +10, for many things) for 99% of your crafting, and save +30s and +60s for enhance attempts.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know in the last times I found hammer +30 and +60 very cheap around ... I bought 2 +60 for 5 mil so probably is something that change shard by shard ...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's the problem - you consider 7-digit prices "cheap".

The only two times in 8 years I've had as much as 10 million (15-20, to be specific), was immediately after an auction, and the gold was immediately spent on 120 PS that cost 90%+ of the gold.

The only two +60 ASH I've ever gotten were from the blackrock traders (and I've never managed to get any hammer from BODs greater than Gold, despite having 6 BOD runner characters for 8 years. Granted, I've done few BODs in the last year, but that doesn't excuse the first 7). I've been stuck with 1 BOD to go on a Verite Hammer LBOD (chance to be bounced up to a Valorite) for 5 years now, and even trading hasn't got me that last BOD.

Most people I know would never think of spending that much gold on an ASH - and only a couple have that kind of gold in the first place (and they tend to farm Slasher and get lavalieres to sell for 50 million).

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's the problem - you consider 7-digit prices "cheap".

The only two times in 8 years I've had as much as 10 million (15-20, to be specific), was immediately after an auction, and the gold was immediately spent on 120 PS that cost 90%+ of the gold.

The only two +60 ASH I've ever gotten were from the blackrock traders (and I've never managed to get any hammer from BODs greater than Gold, despite having 6 BOD runner characters for 8 years. Granted, I've done few BODs in the last year, but that doesn't excuse the first 7). I've been stuck with 1 BOD to go on a Verite Hammer LBOD (chance to be bounced up to a Valorite) for 5 years now, and even trading hasn't got me that last BOD.

Most people I know would never think of spending that much gold on an ASH - and only a couple have that kind of gold in the first place (and they tend to farm Slasher and get lavalieres to sell for 50 million).
well... make gold is not that hard:

- the easiest and most elemental way to make gold is farming monster, boring but if you have not any other ideas it's the best ways. In that way I'm able to make up to 2 mil per day (probably more with more efforts) :p

- another easy way is fishing. With 100 fishing you get a lot of mibs and you can complete a lot of them in few minutes and gathering a lot of gold. in the long run becomes boring, but is doable :)
The deco and mini arties from mibs still worth something.

- treasure chests are another way to farm gold, not easy like the mib and requires some skills, but those skills are cheap to train and have no ps. Level 6 treasures offer up to 50k if you are wise and collect the guardian's gold ;)
Burning the artifacts inside the level 6 treasures will grant you relics that can be sold for a fair amount of gold :)
Also the forged pardon still have a good market ;)

- farming peerless boss is another way. Gather ML ingredients and maybe something like a crimson, crystalline ring or mark of travesty (for ML peerless), or looking for tangle, slither, lavaliere, etc... (for SA peerless) could bring you a huge amount of gold, but selling those items is not always an easy task...

- another way is the "event abuse"... just collect event items to death and sell it immediately at huge prices, there is always someone that will bought it :D

that was some ways to make gold without illegal activities... obviously if you like to script you can always gather millions of rare woods by farming it 24 hours per day and became rich faster, then start to dupe checks and sell the gold for 1$ per mil :lol:

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some people have endless hours to play. I don't and I do some gold farming but can't make 2 million an hour but of course my charcters are crafters so aren't maxed out offensive templates. I enjoy playing but if I put all the gold my 7 characters have on Pacific togther it would probably be a little more than 1 million gold. It seems like this game changes faster than I can get rich. Each change requires me to spend more gold to attempt to keep up. Now I realize maybe if I spent more time farming gold more time doing bods more time mining more time doing X Y Z then I would be in better shape but I don't have more time. Even if I had the gold to dole out for things it then takes time to find them for sale on a vendor somewhere. That I really don't enjoy doing...running around looking on vendors for what I want ....talk about boring. Consequently I do what keeps me happy and not worry about what others with more time than me do. But it means I don't have all that everyone else does but at least I am happy.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some people have endless hours to play. I don't and I do some gold farming but can't make 2 million an hour but of course my charcters are crafters so aren't maxed out offensive templates. I enjoy playing but if I put all the gold my 7 characters have on Pacific togther it would probably be a little more than 1 million gold. It seems like this game changes faster than I can get rich. Each change requires me to spend more gold to attempt to keep up. Now I realize maybe if I spent more time farming gold more time doing bods more time mining more time doing X Y Z then I would be in better shape but I don't have more time. Even if I had the gold to dole out for things it then takes time to find them for sale on a vendor somewhere. That I really don't enjoy doing...running around looking on vendors for what I want ....talk about boring. Consequently I do what keeps me happy and not worry about what others with more time than me do. But it means I don't have all that everyone else does but at least I am happy.
of course, what I put in this guide is the best ways, but even the middle ways are good and enjoyable ;)
For example. I have a sampire that can do almost everything on solo, but I also have a classic paladin with shield and healing.
Some days I like to challenge big things with my sampire, some days I like to enjoy little things with my paladin.
I was amazed on how much fun you can have with certain templates, true it takes a lot more times to take down things which the sampire can kill at closed eyes, but you enjoy much more the little things :D
Another interesting things on using this kind of character is the ability to use the artifacts that you'll never take in consideration with a powerfull character :D

However, all this was to saying that also the middle ways can be very fun... and that's the chance given by UO, the chance to enjoy little things without an uber character :)
So don't take my guide as the bible, I just told the best solutions but there are always middle ways ;)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While I agree with most of what you're saying, you still have a weird idea as to what constitutes easy or cheap.

You seem to be writing from the high end of looting/farming, and not looking at it from the view of those that play middle/low end from day one, not getting rich then downshifting to more enjoyable/challenging templates.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I agree with most of what you're saying, you still have a weird idea as to what constitutes easy or cheap.

You seem to be writing from the high end of looting/farming, and not looking at it from the view of those that play middle/low end from day one, not getting rich then downshifting to more enjoyable/challenging templates.
in short:
if you want earn lot of money you can.
if you want to enjoy the game without uber things and few gold (for lack of time or just because you like it), you can always find another way different by the one I wrote here.

Pratically noone is wrong, both ways works, the important thing is enjoy the game and have fun ;)

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Updated with the basara blacksmith info and the "once per character" quest info

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 6 +60 hammers. 4 from BoDs and 2 from a vendor and there were priced at 50k each.... I am thinking they were mispriced.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 6 +60 hammers. 4 from BoDs and 2 from a vendor and there were priced at 50k each.... I am thinking they were mispriced.
until we have people that scripts tons of bods everyday the prices still these... We should also remember that val hammer now worth around 15 mil and it's really rare ...

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Under 5 mill is cheap! If your not getting the gold it's because you don't use vendors much or you spend all your time running bods! which should net you massive gold if you do pof bods often 10 pof runns over 2 million gold now days dc runics 10-20k bronze hammers 300+k. Mineing good ore will bring in big bucks also the gems you dig up can be highly prized! You are broke by choice!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
WW: Really? Because people do something other than spend their entire time online filling BODs they are broke by choice?

People DO have other things to do, and other expenses, within the game. As well as other things to do online than just UO.

Depending on the size of your shard population, those hammers can sometimes go a month without selling - slowly eating up your gold. Most miners I know mine to use their ingots - not sell them. Selling ingots can also be hit or miss. And, where are those colored ingots to sell gonna come from, if you are using them yourself to fill the BODs for the POF & hammers?

The ore types that sell best are the types needed to fill the POF BODs (DC, Shadow, Gold and Agapite). It's a catch-22; the ones you want to use are the only ones that you can rely on to sell on your vendor.

To make "millions" in profit, you about have to do it in spurts (save up 20-50 POF BODs to fill at once, mining while you accumulate them), or buy your ore (which will eat about 25% of your profit - and the availability of ore to buy can be a real limiter.

Shard economies don't "play by the rules" - especially when comparing one shard to another. Items that sell for 50-70 million on Atlantic, and be bought immediately (or get into a bidding war at an auction) might go unsold for half that on Origin for months. At the same time, consumables that sell for 100k on LS might sell for 300k on Lake Austin, because the rate of consumption to acquisition is much narrower on LA (a crafter heavy shard with less and less people actually mining, and tons of excess hammers accumulated over its 9 years of existence).

Consider, the only auction house on LA (that I help run) had a night last year where a prime location Fel Castle sold for less than a 120 Magery PS. Supply and Demand really do weird things to prices on small shards.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Pinco for the very nice guide about Talismans.

One thing I have not found mentioned, though.

Does high luck (UO luck, not real luck...) help in any ways to try get Talismans with 30/30 stats ?

If yes, does luck only help with talismans when finding them as loot on monsters' corpses or also when doing the Quests you suggest ?

Thanks.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Pinco for the very nice guide about Talismans.

One thing I have not found mentioned, though.

Does high luck (UO luck, not real luck...) help in any ways to try get Talismans with 30/30 stats ?

If yes, does luck only help with talismans when finding them as loot on monsters' corpses or also when doing the Quests you suggest ?

Thanks.
- Luck do not affect the strongboxes.
- Luck do affect loot so an higher luck could affect the talismans...

In theory peerless talismans have better chances of 30/30 with high luck than strongboxes... unfortunately peerless requires too much time to gather keys to make them a good farmable source of talismans...
The ancient world quest is the very best to do if you gather enough materials first ;)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ancient world quest is the very best to do if you gather enough materials first ;)

Thank you. One question, though.

In your OP you say about this particular Quest

Lorekeeper Rollarn the Keeper of Tradition (Sanctuary): deliver 3 minotaur artifacts (from labyrinth) and a Fragment of a Map (from priests of mondain loot) (if you gather enough minotaurs artifacts, gaman horn and priest of mondain's map is the best)
Now, why do you suggest doing the one in Sanctuary which is a much more difficult place to get to ? Is the loot from the strongbox there better than in Heartwood ?

I am asking, because according to Chained Quests

Knowledge of the Legendary Minotaur

This 4 quests chain can be done in either Heartwood or Sanctuary

Take the quest by double clicking the npc. Progress can be checked through your quest log, accessible through your character's paper doll.
As you can see at the above link, the 2 chained Quests are pretty much the same only 1 is in Sanctuary and 1 in Heartwood. Also, they both require 2 different NPCs.
The one in sancturary the strongbox is not given by Rollarn but by Canir the Thaumaturgist.

Is there any particular reason why you only mentioned the one in Sanctuary and why you refer to Lorekeeper Rollarn the Keeper of Tradition and not also Canir the Thaumaturgist?

Is this the same Quest you suggest or are we talking about 2 different Quests?

Thank you.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you. One question, though.

In your OP you say about this particular Quest

Now, why do you suggest doing the one in Sanctuary which is a much more difficult place to get to ? Is the loot from the strongbox there better than in Heartwood ?

I am asking, because according to Chained Quests

As you can see at the above link, the 2 chained Quests are pretty much the same only 1 is in Sanctuary and 1 in Heartwood. Also, they both require 2 different NPCs.
The one in sancturary the strongbox is not given by Rollarn but by Canir the Thaumaturgist.

Is there any particular reason why you only mentioned the one in Sanctuary and why you refer to Lorekeeper Rollarn the Keeper of Tradition and not also Canir the Thaumaturgist?

Is this the same Quest you suggest or are we talking about 2 different Quests?

Thank you.
basically heartwood and sanctuary quest are the same, but if you have a red character you can't enter in heartwood :p
I've added sanctuary and heartwood quests just for par condicio through red and blue chars :D

Aragoni

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
White an 25/25 Smithing talisman you only need an ash +15 for 100% crafting and exeptional chance at twinkling scimitar at legendary smithing.
Whiteout talisman and 120 skill you need an ash +30.
I found thats is an pro argument and more comfortability.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what monster/gold farming develops 2 million per day at how many hours, Pinco ? just askin' ... are you talking about actual gold or things like spawning that could develop scrolls which then can be sold ?

Ganesh89

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gold Farming 2 Mio a day:

1. Go to the prism of light, buy the ticket for 10k, farm crystal deamons->instant respawn, each has 600gp and some have crystalline shards, convert shards to crystall dust and sell...everybody who does medusa will lick their fingers because they need lenses.

2. Go to the underworld, kill spiders instant respawn, each has 200gp and some have a lucky coin, throw lucky coin once a day and hope you get soles of providence....they usually sell for around 3-4 mill....

I admit utterly boring but in terms of gold very rewarding....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Gold Farming 2 Mio a day:

1. Go to the prism of light, buy the ticket for 10k, farm crystal deamons->instant respawn, each has 600gp and some have crystalline shards, convert shards to crystall dust and sell...everybody who does medusa will lick their fingers because they need lenses.

2. Go to the underworld, kill spiders instant respawn, each has 200gp and some have a lucky coin, throw lucky coin once a day and hope you get soles of providence....they usually sell for around 3-4 mill....

I admit utterly boring but in terms of gold very rewarding....
"everybody"?

I've done Medusa several dozen times and have yet to use a single lens. And, getting the sandals is so rare, it probably averages out to less than 100k per day, even if you run all 7 character slots each day with a lucky coin.

Actually, you're more likely to average 2 mill a day by spending all day in Navrey, and selling any tangles and SoTs that drop - and then only if you're on a shard so dead that you can solo it for hours straight.

Richwarf

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
obviously if you like to script you can always gather millions of rare woods by farming it 24 hours per day and became rich faster, then start to dupe checks and sell the gold for 1$ per mil :lol:
How about crafting items that sell quick in bulk using mutable clients?
EA allows you to have more that one client open now and there is a craft number/max in the crafting UI.

Take trail accounts, make 2-3 toons and just craft using the number/max. When you set the last one going, the first should need some love :) This is how I am making 5-10 mill a day selling potions.

I have even got my little sister in on it and she will do this for me for hours, 4 hours cost me some sweets and doing a job around the house for her (dishwasher, cleaning, etc). :p

5% Luck

For those that do not like the crafting quests and still want to do alot more then the occasional peerless for a chance at a good tali, I have a decent way to get them.

Reptilian dentist!

That's right! This quest can be done with minimal travel and you only need to kill one mob type. It is however, Coil, the dreaded snake in the blighted grove! He spawns fast and kills players faster! On the bright note his fang weighs next to nothing, is blessed and a player can farm them quickly if they have the skill. Once you obtain 50-100 fangs head over to the tinkers in the elven city and repeat the quest as many times as you have fangs for. You only need one per quest! Nice right? Anyhow this quest can give out some of the most rare recipes as well as high end talismans as reward.

That quest is one of my favorites in heartwood and the gold+martis from coil alone make it worth while.

B

Bort of Atlantic

For those that do not like the crafting quests and still want to do alot more then the occasional peerless for a chance at a good tali, I have a decent way to get them.

Reptilian dentist!

That's right! This quest can be done with minimal travel and you only need to kill one mob type. It is however, Coil, the dreaded snake in the blighted grove! He spawns fast and kills players faster! On the bright note his fang weighs next to nothing, is blessed and a player can farm them quickly if they have the skill. Once you obtain 50-100 fangs head over to the tinkers in the elven city and repeat the quest as many times as you have fangs for. You only need one per quest! Nice right? Anyhow this quest can give out some of the most rare recipes as well as high end talismans as reward.

That quest is one of my favorites in heartwood and the gold+martis from coil alone make it worth while.
Thanks for the tip.

Adding mine: If you're going to do a peerless, click your locked down 10th anniversary sculpture for luck first. I did that last night and got a few max properties on items, and my talisman were better-than-normal.