• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sweet! People still play! ^_^

M

Malec

Alright so about a year and a half ago I played ffxi. Not for a long time, only two months or so.

Well, after a couple months of end game raiding in WoW, ive grown tired of its lack of difficulty.

Soooooooooooooooooooo.....:lol:

Time to come back to FFXI!

From reading the other posts, it seems like the server to play on is Titan, right?
Im not 100% sure on my job yet, but Im hoping to start with something "noob friendly" :) I played a BLM before and enjoyed it. Ive always liked ranged classes.

Anyway, ill be back, im going to go pick up the game! Hope to see some replies by the time I get back! :D

O

Onewing

Welcome! Yeah, all the starting six jobs are pretty "noob friendly". :) Although, I would suggest looking at our job section and browse over the advanced jobs you want to end up with and choose your beginning job accordingly.

Ask if you have any questions. :)

M

Malec

Well I think that I eventually want to go into the ranger job, simply because Ive always played that kind of class.

Although really, i would LOVE if i could be a white mage. The only problem with that is that because im a newb, I don't want to let people die :(

Well ive got some time to think it over.. Im heading out now to pick it up.

Titan server though, right?

A

Anthalas

Well, I have a character on Titan, but it looks like we might be spread out a bit. Some of us are on Asura and Caitsith. I guess it all depends on who you want to play with. So, it's time to play favorites! Let the jealousy begin! :popcorn:

If you want to add me on Playonline, my handle there is Anthalas. My character on Titan is named Rrrelena...yes, I'm a mithra...for now. rolleyes:

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jamison is on Titan, he may be the only Stratics staff left there, too. lol Youngun and I are on Caitsith. Onewing is on Asura. A couple of the regulars (well, regular before the forums busted) are on Pandemonium. We are all spread out, indeed.

Welcome to Stratics!

A

Anthalas

You say "before the forums busted." I meant to ask before, what happened to the forums?

By the way, I just made a black mage Tarutaru on Caitsith named Peavy. I'm in Windurst.

M

Malec

Alright, just got home with the game. Now to begin the tedious install process.

I havent quite decided on a server yet. Im looking for a populated server if possible. Hopefully I can find somebody to help me out a bit too, seeing as I will be starting from scratch

M

Malec

Im split between Titan and Caitsith

:wall:

Ive been reading around on a couple other boards, and the active servers seem to be Caitsith, Unicorn (i played there before), and maybe Titan.

edit: Bahamut maybe?

Y

YoungUn

Hiya! I'm on Caitsith like Trishy said, but I play really late, usually on at 9 pst, so most people have gone to bed by the time I poke my head in.
Good luck with the install, just the recent update I let run overnight. Was worth it tho.

M

Malec

Nice! Thanks for the reply!

Looks like im leaning towards Caitsith. I'm thinkin maybe an Hume Black Mage or warrior. Good thing about FFXI is if i dont like it, I can always switch! ^_^

So i guess i'll see you and Trish on Caitsith. I really hope I'll get to play this tonight, see you there!

I'll come back and post my name and stuff once its installed :)

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From reading other sites, Caitsith is about average in population. Odin is the most populated, and is often closed to new characters. Titan looks to be about average as of now, but I don't often check to see where Titan stands so can't say that's normal. And this site is based on trading activity, which I believe to be a good indication of active users.

M

Malec

Yeah i heard that Odin was the most populated, but I dont think I want to deal with the stability issues :(

The game took about an hour to install (im not bothering with the expansions yet, i will when i get to that content :p). Its now doing (the first of many?) updates.

Looks like i MAY get to play tonight after all :)

update: Before hitting the post button, I looked back at the TV and saw that i have about 9 thousand files to update, which will supposedly take about 5 and a half hours.. BOO :(

O

Onewing

Yeah, getting the updates takes forever. In fact, I envy 5 and half hours. ;) I've had to go through the process a few times and I always kick it up right before I go to bed.

So, the TV you say. Guess you're playing on the 360?

M

Malec

So, the TV you say. Guess you're playing on the 360?
Yuuuppppp

The time remaining has jumped back a bit actually. Right now im sitting at 3:22:03 remaining. 3h 22m 03s.

Not bad. I'm on a weird sleeping schedule anyway, so ill definately be on later tonight :)

PS. Linkshells on Caitsith. Any newb friendly ones?

M

Malec

Alright. Sorry for all the bumps by the way :p

My name is Malic (Malec was taken) on Caitsith. Hit me up :D

edit: Oh, and my starting city is San d'Oria (Hope i spelled that right)

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent! Glad you made it. I'm off for the night, I'll try to look you up tomorrow. :)

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bad mod for double posting! *slaps own hand* But it was late last night and I was rather tired.

Anthalas found me by search and got me friended last night :)

We have a very small linkshell as of now. Our old one was awesome, but if the owner wasn't on everyone would wander to other shells. Well, the owner's been obsessed with wii online lately so it got to be just a handful of us. I moved us all over to my 2nd linkshell, but things got really .. erm dirty.. one night and one of our group wasn't comfortable in that situation. My hubby just left his endgame linkshell and wanted to start a new one, so we took this as the opportunity to move again. :) So if you'd like, we can get you set up with us, however it's not a "good" noob shell or "big" linkshell. We cover evening and late night well, but rarely is there anyone on during the day (M-F).

Y

YoungUn

So if you'd like, we can get you set up with us, however it's not a "good" noob shell or "big" linkshell. We cover evening and late night well, but rarely is there anyone on during the day (M-F).
We are also fairly friendly!

M

Malec

Im about to hop on now. I'll be on for a couple hours, hope to see you there!

D

dracowolf123

hey guys and gals. just thought i would reply to this seeing as i quit playing as well because of world of warcraft, and decided to play both that and ffxi. when i did play in the past it was probably for about a week if not less. but now i'll be able to play it without worring about leaving for another game. or at least hopefully. but yea, i can tell you guys are gonna be on Caitsith so i'll join that one too simply because i need frieds and im a newb and what not. i believe my tag on POL is Dracokogeno1 but not sure. gotta check tomorrow and thats when i will be on as well...so please give me some warm welcomes and names to add to my mailing friends. i will more then likely be a male human warrior because i wanna try to get the warrior/samurai classes because i have the 2007 collection. i believe the human and elvaan city is san d'oria or whatever so ill be there cause i hate windurst...too confusing. and plus the human and elvaan area is easier to get around. again please give me some warm welcomes and friends to add.

thank you!

O

Onewing

Hi, dracowolf123, welcome to Stratics! The human city is actually Bastok. We don't necessarily get along with the snoody elvaan up North, peh. The human society is very industrial, so if you come to Bastok you can pick up hobbies like mining and learning the goldsmith craft. And the big Galkan guys? Pretty much the human slave labor, heh. Main advesary is the turtles known as Quadavs.

Alternatively, if you still prefer San'doria, they're more of a loyal, knightly bunch surrounded by forests and such. But like I said, they're a bit snoody. They spend their days fighting orcs.

I chose Bastok and often vaction to the lovely Windurst. And I agree, it is no place to live, but a great vacation spot. I spend the least time in Sandy, but my career choice will most likely bring me there more oft than not. :)

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Notice the "snooty San d'Orians" aren't the ones calling people snooty :fight:But what do I know.. I'm a Tarutaru that hates Windurst. :p

D

dracowolf123

oh okay. well i meant i was gonna choose san d'oria as my starting place and im still there. im lvl 3, but gonna work today on getting higher, and hopefully not playing anything else today. i'm in the server: Caitsith like i said i would be. my name is Dracokogeno1 if you wanna send me mail and my character name in game is, i believe: Chaoticprophecy or something like that. i can find out because they are doing maintenence right now. if you don't mind i'd like to add your mail thingies since i can't get in. again mine is Dracokogeno1.

i have already added: Notouchy. i believe he/she is a player from the stratics site that i met a long time ago.

well...thank you for the add, if you do it. For now ill play another game until i think its back up.

M

markiie

i hav looked at alot of forums and i hav decided to jump on caitsith also:D how can u not join it wen a epic helper like trish is there lol sweet 30 more minutes till its done i got it for my ps3 it was funny the guy at game stop was like umm i dont know if itll work on ps3 i was like yea it will he was like i dont knowwwwww lol i cant waaaaait:D summoner againnn lol:)

B

Banhammer

i hav looked at alot of forums and i hav decided to jump on caitsith also:D how can u not join it wen a epic helper like trish is there lol sweet 30 more minutes till its done i got it for my ps3 it was funny the guy at game stop was like umm i dont know if itll work on ps3 i was like yea it will he was like i dont knowwwwww lol i cant waaaaait:D summoner againnn lol:)
Yeah, Summoner's a pretty fun job. Got it to the mid-50s myself before the Summit distracted me with an awesome RDM sword.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just hit SMN70 last night. omg Predator Claws, I am in heaven. It did 600+ damage to a NM Troll in Besieged last night, as a 70! I was shocked.

I LOVE Summoner. But I hate main healing as a SMN.

M

Mooge

Weeeell, I made it to lvl 7 last night lol. Titan is a pretty populated server. There's people bumbling around everywhere. I got poisoned and ran into town and died in front of the door to the medicine shop and about 20 different people came over and inspected me in a matter of 5 minutes. However, I can' get ANYTHING to sell in the auction house. Do element crystals not sell well? I've got loads of'em just waiting to be sold. If I can't sell anything in the auction house, I don't know how I'm going to make money.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm. I'm not on titan, but I never have a problem getting the crystals to sell. Get a stack, then check the auction house to see what they're going for. Then sell for either the same price or one close.

T

tanls

The Auction House works like any other free market type entity. It's all a matter of supply and demand. The more stuff on, the lower the price usually gets because ppl will undercut to get their items sold faster. Also, the demand of items will depend on usage. Crystals usually go pretty quickly because they are used for crafting. You will want to try to sell them as stacks and not as singles because stacks sell faster but usually for less than singles. You can always sell things to NPC merchants too. You will usually make far less in gil, but there is no wait and no fees. Some things are better sold to NPCs, but you need to figure what those might be because AH prices change.

M

Mooge

How do you sell the crystals in stacks? Because I have a lot of the same kind of crystals.

M

markiie

hey guys f ya want my names markiie on the caitsith server hit me up:) lvl 5 lol

O

Onewing

How do you sell the crystals in stacks? Because I have a lot of the same kind of crystals
You have to have 12 of the same crystal. The main thing about the auction house is looking up what your item is selling for. Then, sell for that price or lower (if you want faster return) or higher (if you can wait).

T

tanls

Like Onewing said, most things stack at 12 items. There should be an auto sort function where things will stack automatically. If not, you need to manually sort them. You will find that you will run out of room quickly because your storage is limited. As you get higher in level and get more experience with the game, you will have opportunity to increase your storage. What I would do is sell the stacks on the AH and put the odds and sods in your MH so you can go adventuring with the most room available. Then as you come back to town, take care of your financial/supply transactions. When I'm leveling low level jobs (currently doing DRK and SAM, got them to 7 and 6 so far), I'll run back to town when my inventory is full just to sell items off to make room in my inventory. I still use this method as my primary way of making gil so waste not, want not. I tend to sell single lower level items to NPC because I save my AH spots for items that usually make me more gil, but the items I do sell to NPCs is usually enough to buy me at least the next low level weapons upgrade. Most items will stack at 12, some like cookies and ninjitsu tool will stack at 99. GL.

And hello Markiie. I'm not on Caitsith, but hello.

M

Mooge

Well that could be part of the reason I'm not selling anything. I'm selling each of my crystals individually and for 90 gil each. Currently 100 gil is the normality.

M

markiie

hey tanls:) dang whenever i play i only see a handfull of ppl playing n usually around 1800 ppl in the server at a time i wanted to know is odin always packed to wherever is there? cuz im lvl 10 now n id hate to be stuck not gettin a party goin for lvling n stuff:/ oh n does anyone know the price of switching servers

T

tanls

I don't know about Odin, I play on Pandy (Pandemonium). There's usually somewhere between 2k-4k on depending on time and day. Usually more on the weekends. Getting a party has always been a matter of timing. Sometimes you'll lfp for days and not get a party and sometimes you'll get an invite as soon as you log on. As far as server jumping is concerned, I think it costs you $25.00 or there abouts. Seeing as how you haven't even gotten your Sub Job yet, I wouldn't server jump. What I'd do is just restart from scratch by creating a new character on a different server. That way the only thing it will cost you is some exp and time instead of real money.

Depending on what your setup is, and what kind of foods and medicines you use, it should be possible for you to get around lvl 6 in about 2-3 hours of play time. What I would suggest at the very least is to get some meat jerky. It's a fairly cheap food with stats that help you hit harder, so the mobs go down a bit faster. Once you start fighting lizards, you will want to carry around some antidotes with you. Also, always, ALWAYS have signet on. You need the Conquest Points. Once you get 1k CP get an Exp band. Either Emperor or Empress. This will help you get exp much faster. This should happen sometimes around lvl 8 or so.

M

markiie

tanls u r now my role model:D lol well im lvl 11 now lol im juss gonna stay with this guy cuz todays my only day off n if i start over now goin to a diff server may be the same a this so ill wait n see until forshure theres a server thats full of ppl, it would be great if SE would merge low populated servers:) then it could be like the god ol days were cities r flooded with peeps n its hard to click on npc's lol

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having a city that full would have its drawbacks too. It would be more difficult to get NMs that drop the stuff you want to get. It's hard enough in Caitsith, lol

Incidentally, every time I'm on I do a search for you and never see you on.

M

markiie

look for me now ive been on for about 5 hours:] lol markiie im a lil tarutaru:D

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I'm at work now :p and not sure if I will get on today or not.

T

tanls

I can't see them doing server migrations anytime soon. There are a lot of ppl still on. The thing is, they've basically moved out of the main cities into Jeuno and Whitegate. SE has been trying to move ppl back to the starter cities, but I don't think it's worked very well. I've moved back to Bastok because the OP warps and such make it so much easier to get around. I will move to Jeuno once I start partying jobs in the early to mid 20's but then I'll move back to Basty.

As far as leveling new jobs are concerned, what I do is sub WHM and carry apple juice with me. Apple juice gives refresh so there is no resting needed. With Emperor's band and juice, I can usually get from lvl 1 to about level 10 in about 3-4 hours. The key is also to fight EP mobs. You'll get less exp from them, but you'll take them down so much faster that your exp/hr will be much faster than if you go after DC to EM mobs.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'll get less exp from them, but you'll take them down so much faster that your exp/hr will be much faster than if you go after DC to EM mobs.
Not to mention even more drops, and thus more money.

M

markiie

lol u guys remember hoo mjuu the torrent?:D used to be my favorite camp site lol good staff too i believe well i think it was a staff lol

T

tanls

I'd go there to farm Yagudo necks. First for Norg fame then to desynth into grass thread. I go there as a 38 BLM/THF. The /thf for Treasure Hunter 1, and BLM for DD with Drain and Aspire minimizes down time without using juices. When I farmed for fame, I made over 60k gil over 3 days.

M

markiie

trishhhhhhhhhhh jump on ffxi:) im bout to be 15 n i need a person to congradulate me lol:]

T

tanls

ROFL. Congrats!!! You have your SJ items yet? And don't forget to start working on you Kazham keys soon.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL, I managed to see him level up. And also saved his life :p