• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Suggestion for Focus Group concerning Factions

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about a timer on the sigils that give a count down to when they would corrupt? Then I wouldnt have to remember when I stole em!!

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is something Ive heard for years. I used to agree.

But personally, I find not knowing is half the fun. You have to fight just as hard whether its 5 hours in or 9 hours in.

B

Barbosa

I've already suggested it.
I don't think you suggested it. I just think you thought of it.

Arabella your thinking is grand but you must realize that, that would give the "Sneaky Thieves" as yourself a much better defense as to when to pick them up. I don't think personally that the Developers will tolerate this decision very well. You must be banished from all MMORPG's lol

You know we love ya :)

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think you suggested it. I just think you thought of it.

Arabella your thinking is grand but you must realize that, that would give the "Sneaky Thieves" as yourself a much better defense as to when to pick them up. I don't think personally that the Developers will tolerate this decision very well. You must be banished from all MMORPG's lol

You know we love ya :)
LOL hahahaha I am not orange to you anymore, hum I think green is the word!

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to hijack, but how about making it so that ninjitsu mirror images also show the faction tag next to the name (TB, MX, etc)

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh I forgot, one thing about you Anthius, you are always thinking of ways to improve Factions as well as Tina Small....we have all benefitted from your dedication to factions.

Papa thank you, now I have to work on not attacking alliance mates, poor sir dan and tigger!

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to hijack, but how about making it so that ninjitsu mirror images also show the faction tag next to the name (TB, MX, etc)
Because Ninja is already over powered and doesn't need any help. Put the smoke bombs on a timer and maybe you can talk about stuff like this.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Faction improvements: [Starting from the most basic fixes to more wide sweeping changes I'd love to see in the faction system

Improvement 1: Logging in and out of faction bases

1) Enemies base, pops you outside if you time out and log in.

2) Own Faction base, allows you to time out inside.

Incorporating more SKILLS into factions:
- Camping - at skill 80 allows you to log inside enemy faction base using your camping skill.

-Tracking: GM Tracker can detect campsites where enemies logged in base.

Improvement 2: Barriers and Defenses:

1) Each faction is designated 15 barrier spots, cost 250 silver and 20 boards and decay after 36 hours.

2) Fast item decay - Items placed on the ground decay in 10 minutes

Incorporating more Skills:

-Faction Carpentry: Carpenters can build faction barriers using silver. Barriers can not be placed next to each other (must be at least one tile apart)

-Lumberjacking: 80 lumberjack is require to remove the barriers [25 hits to destroy at 80, 20 at 90, 15 at GM]

-Replace standard town guards with faction guards who function differently according to faction affiliation. Spawn rate is set by the Sheriff of the Town and draws from the town resources. The higher the spawn rate the less personal guards the Sheriff has to draw upon in a defense. Bankrupting a town will leave it, guardless. Faction Town Guards will not attack opposing faction members based on their faction affiliation. Guards are tough but killable and can be summoned in guardzone by yelling "Guards".

True Britannian Guards: Attack reds, greys and criminals who enter town on sight as well as attacking anyone who commits a criminal act in the guardzone. TB guards will attack reds who are members of the True Britannians as well as reds from other factions.

Minax: Allows Blues, Reds (Murders) and Greys (Criminals) in town. However guards ignore most criminal activity such as thieving and murdering. The town guards will interfer when someone attacks a Minax faction member in town or an innocent (blue) attacks a criminal in town.

Shadowlords: Do not allow blues into town without being attacked. Must be grey, or red to enter unharrassed. Guards will attack any non faction member who attacks an SL faction member.

CoM Guards: Allow criminals (grey) and Murders (red) into town and function similiarly to how guards act now. They will attack any non faction member who attacks a CoM member as well as anyone who commits a criminal act.

Fix the town economies: Money brought into town by buying resources from npc's and faction vendors should translate into the town treasury at a rate of 1 silver for every 100 gold.

Each town give a skill bonus to the occupying faction based on the towns virtue:

Brit: Compassion: +5 Healing
Trinsic: Honor: +5 Chiv
Skara: Spirituality: +5 Spirit Speak
Yew: Justice: +5 Tracking
Minoc: Sacrifice +5 Tinkering
Moonglow: Honesty: +5 Magery
Vesper: No virtue: +5 thievery
Mag: Humility (no bonus)

If a faction controls all 8 cities they recieve a stat bonus based on their faction rank.

Rank (1-4): +1 to str, dex, int
Rank (5-8): +2 to str, dex, int
Rank (9-10) +3 to str, dex, int

Faction Improvement 6

Add more faction cities such as Jhelom (+5 tactics), Occulo (Blacksmithing + 5) , Serpents Hold (+ 5 parry), Wind (+5 Eval), Nujelm (+5 Necro).

**Buc's Den has been purposely left out because it has always survived as an independent.

Faction Improvement 7

Move CoM base to Wind, disable magery requirement for faction members.

Faction Improvement 8

This is the most far reaching but I would love to see the faction system to move in this direction.

Each town have its own base and a factions wishing to take control of the city would be required to guard a city sigil in each individual town. This way multiple guardings could be going on at once and it would be very difficult to control the entire kingdom.

Faction bases would be used as a faction safe havens and meeting areas only open to members of the same faction.

If one faction has control of all Felucca then opposing faction bases can be invaded and corrupted by stealing an opposing faction's faction stone.

Faction stones can be moved using the stealing skill and can be placed in the controllers faction base. During this time all enemy factions may enter the controlling factions base. A faction has 24 hours to retrieve its stone or all members will be dropped from the faction. The faction stone will remain in the enemies base for 2 weeks during which time no one will be able to join that faction. The faction stone will return to its rightful base in two weeks.

A faction can not recruit new members when they hold an enemy faction stone.

Ending the war! If all opposing factions stones are corrupted. Then the war is over for 1 month from the time the last faction stone was corrupted. During this time the dominating faction has complete control of all the towns and cities.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm in full agreement with all but the last part.

Though the last part is very intrigueing, and would be QUITE fun indeed, I think it would inevitably kill factions. Everyone gets booted from said faction, and perhaps only half of them ever return. Or one faction does manage to end the war for a month, and everyone goes on to do other things.

Notice the lack in activity the last couple weeks. The sigils have been corrupted by one side or another almost constantly. No sigils mean faction-only people like myself tend to just not play UO, and the others move on to doing other fun things ingame. They remember how fun these other "things" were, and soon they don't return to factions. Why, afterall, work in a game when you can have a gleeful old time doing spawns or the Gauntlet?

But all-in-all, awesome ideas. I like the idea of incorporating more skills. It requires more specialty players. I think the barrier idea is especially good. It can be destroyed, and yet hard to replace (unlike bagballs). The decay timer was the perfect touch to top it off.