• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Strong Pixeaxe Miner Template

R

Rocklin

Knowing that Basara is one of the pickaxe champions on the boards, I thought I would look into using the axes on a character to mine ore. I searched the topic and found a couple scraps (including the mining faq) on the subject.

I am thinking that I am going to make a character JUST FOR MINING. With that is mind, would anyone recommend a temple?

I know you could go Tamer, Warrior, Archer or perhaps a Mage hybrid. Anyone have a template or templates they like?

Thanks, Rock

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My template started out

120 Macing
120 Blacksmith
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Parry
100 Mining
80 Chivalry

I then acquired 86 points of +skill items and added 86 Healing

If you go without the Blacksmithing, I'd look at

120 Weapon Skill
100 Healing*
100 Tactics*
100 Anatomy*
100 Parry*
100 Mining
80 Chivalry

* 20 points (split however you wish) into the current 100 point skills. Then, raise other skills with equipment, based on your suit choice. Remember to keep the weapon skill and Tactics at 90 real skill, at minimum.

Remember that Verite and Valorite elementals can break any item that isn't insured or blessed.

Stats, go for 120-125 STR, 60+ DEX and 40+ INT (after getting the +5 bonus, you can be at 120/60/50 or 120/70/40, before worrying about stat scrolls) and stay human for the carrying capacity. If you go elf, you'll have to stop a lot more often to unload, and also risk getting killed by an elemental a lot more often for being overwight.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note that typically, mage and tamer based templates are bad, because the Shadow Iron (the most common ore elementals) and Valorite elementals are immune to pets and all offensive spells other than Earthquake.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a similar template on my miners. One uses soulstones to swap mining with lumberjack and the other one has lj instead of parry. (They are on two different shards.) That way I can combine most resource gathering into one char.