• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Streaky Luck!

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well congrats on that! I don't have this expansion so I've missed out on the bikini *sighs*

Keep fishin, seems you're on a roll :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Congrats!!!

I fished up one once.... then the next day when I logged in.... my boat had vanished. My luck I guess.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep fishin, seems you're on a roll :)
Yep, just pulled this out of a chest--same shard, same fisher with 540 luck who never remembers to hit the luck statue--a few minutes ago. Nice to see you can still very occasionally get jewelry out of MIB chests that has 6 properties on it. Hoping it's the same for treasure chests still too.

arcane bracelet of sorcery.jpg

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Had a similar experience yea
rs ago. Fished up 2 of them within days of each other....none since. Congrats!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had 120 fishing, the full suit on, and Golden Tuna bait and was able to fish up almost 20 Giant Koi...naturally 0 Golden Tuna....how lucky was that ?

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Garth oddly enough Golden Tuna Bait is the best way to catch Giant Koi....... fishing baits have always been WEIRD.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't waste my time with bait anymore..... I used over 2000 charges of bait trying to get a Zombie fish... wore the suit and have 120 Natural skill.... you know how many Zombie fish I got? 1 on about my 3rd cast... it was a very LOW weight like 12 or something... Not good for a competition that was going on... So I kept trying and trying..... 2000 charges that's like 6000 clicks... click bait click pole click pole click water... fish..... rinse and repeat... NOT worth it.

As for streaky luck this is "my" luck. I finally got a Yellow Polka Dot Bikini.... Was super excited but I put it in my hold with the rest of my "booty" from the days fishing... (I by the way after this incident haven't really been into fishing since still really annoyed)... Logged out went to bed and logged in the next day to return to my questing... NO BOAT. Yep that's right in one day my boat vanished. Hold and all.... no more bikini, no more fishes, no more quest.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thought this was kinda cool. Have never fished up a Yellow Polkadot Bikini Top. However, just fished up TWO of them within a few minutes of each other. :)

View attachment 26692
I don't want to take away from the joy of finally getting some good luck. But I have to say, to me, something's wrong with the game when somebody fishes up a yellow polkadot bikini top and it's considered an item of value. No offense intended, but really?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't want to take away from the joy of finally getting some good luck. But I have to say, to me, something's wrong with the game when somebody fishes up a yellow polkadot bikini top and it's considered an item of value. No offense intended, but really?
Wow. Way to make someone feel really, really worthless. I'm sitting here actually blushing in embarrassment because someone thought my lighthearted post was such a waste of their time.

I'll just go crawl back into my hole now and stop wasting the time of all you people who have so much mind-boggling UO wealth.

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... something's wrong with the game when somebody fishes up a yellow polkadot bikini top and it's considered an item of value. No offense intended, but really?
Speak for yourself, I've been after one for a while, I think it would compliment my chest hair beautifully! :troll:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow. Way to make someone feel really, really worthless. I'm sitting here actually blushing in embarrassment because someone thought my lighthearted post was such a waste of their time.

I'll just go crawl back into my hole now and stop wasting the time of all you people who have so much mind-boggling UO wealth.
Oh, come on. I'd be happy too if I found something that was worth a lot of money, which I seldom too. But I'd still say the game mechanics are screwed up when this is the case. Lighten up. :)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That was entirely uncalled for, and I'm disappointed in you.
EDIT: I've been playing Ultima since U6, and to say I'm an ass for expressing the opinion that polka dot bikinis really should have no place in Ultima lore - and neither should many of the other stuff that gets stuck in the game as rares - this is just outrageous.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, come on. I'd be happy too if I found something that was worth a lot of money, which I seldom too. But I'd still say the game mechanics are screwed up when this is the case. Lighten up. :)
And now the original post and pictures are gone because I wouldn't want to cause anyone else to get them stressed out over how screwed up UO is because some simpleton thought it was cool to finally fish up a bikini or two. I'd say more but I'd just end up being banned and it's just not worth it. Enjoy your power trip.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Geez Yadd, If you are arguing that UO has become about "pixels" I'd have to agree. If you are arguing that bikinis and coffee grinders don't seem to fit the genre I'd have to agree. BUT....there's always a but, eh? Insulting Tina's enthusiasm over fishing up what I think is the most rare item in fishing seems just mean spirited or maybe just trolling, or maybe both. Maybe your post would have been more appropriate in one of the EM Event threads that are raging. I've been fishing since High Seas. I've pulled up 3 yellow polka dots and was quite pleased each time. I've fished my pixels off in Ice dungeon and have caught exactly ONE Winter Dragon Fish. I've fished the lost lands endlessly and still have never managed to pull a Stone Fish. When I do get one it will certainly be a "thing of value" to me. I had no idea that my perception of what constitutes a "thing of value" was the problem with UO.

And to think so many people were under the impression that x-sharders, multi-boxers, dupers, a broken economy,poor customer support, EM events, and so on were the problem. Someone let them know we figured out where the real trouble lies. YES evil has a face and it is the dreaded yellow polka dot bikini! :snoopy:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was entirely uncalled for, and I'm disappointed in you.
EDIT: I've been playing Ultima since U6, and to say I'm an ass for expressing the opinion that polka dot bikinis really should have no place in Ultima lore - and neither should many of the other stuff that gets stuck in the game as rares - this is just outrageous.
I understand your sentiment, however i see the Yellow Polkadot Bikini in the same lines lore-wise as having things like Lord British's shotgun, and a "hubcap off a 1979 dolorean" fit into the lore. remember that ideas / items present UO dont all have to originate in Sosaria, as Lord british came from present day Earth.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Geez Yadd, If you are arguing that UO has become about "pixels" I'd have to agree. If you are arguing that bikinis and coffee grinders don't seem to fit the genre I'd have to agree:snoopy:
THIS
Insulting Tina's enthusiasm over fishing up what I think is the most rare item in fishing seems just mean spirited or maybe just trolling, or maybe both.
NOT THIS
Never intended. My apologies if it was interpreted that way.
I don't troll, never have, not my style.
I said in the OP I was commenting on "game mechanics," the things that the developers have decided to call rare ("hubcap off a 1979 dolorean" is another good example - not really appropriate, but sure I'd be happy if I had one).
Again, I'm sorry I brought it up in this thread, since the original topic was "streaky luck."

Last edited:

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Deloreans had alloy rims. So yes a hubcap would be a true rare. I'm sure they would mess up and use the wooden shield for the graphics.

It is the easter eggs that make the grind of a task a little worth doing. The golden mining tools might have served as better easter egg in the BOD smith reward list then some step on a small spawn a few thousand times.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I read Yadds first comment I read it solely as a comment on game mechanics and how bikinis fit the genre. Not sure why the OP took it as she did. Some people are way too tetchy, and deleting the original post was just petulance.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"No offense intended, but really?" Clearly seems to be acknowledging that his post may be taken as causing offense.

I don't mean to be sexist but....
I don't mean to be racist but....
I don't mean to be FILL IN THE BLANK but....
No offense but....
Those statements are usually followed by information that is guaranteed to come across as what ever the fill in the blank was.

Seemed mean spirited and misplaced to me. Having said that these forums are usually mean spirited and should be approached with a thick skin. ;)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
"No offense intended, but really?" Clearly seems to be acknowledging that his post may be taken as causing offense.

I don't mean to be sexist but....
I don't mean to be racist but....
I don't mean to be FILL IN THE BLANK but....
No offense but....
Those statements are usually followed by information that is guaranteed to come across as what ever the fill in the blank was.

Seemed mean spirited and misplaced to me. Having said that these forums are usually mean spirited and should be approached with a thick skin. ;)
This premise cannot go unchallenged.
There are many times and I others preface a statement with "no offense intended" when stating a truth that must be stated but might be misunderstood. I resent the comparison with sexism and racism. Now who is being mean spirited?

Last edited:

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:ohsnap: Sorry Yadd. I should have stated emphatically that "I had no intention of being mean spirited".

Just defending my fellow fishers, and having a little fun in the process. We don't want to become as hated as the dreaded x-sharders, dupers, multi-boxers, and dev team.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Indeed, fellow fishers need encouragement, from what I hear - long hours and usually little reward.
Myself, I'm always happy to find something that's rare enough to worth something; it feels great when luck is on your side.
My only point was this: I wonder why the developers have to insert such weird stuff into the game when they want to insert a rare.
That's it. The barb was entirely against the game designers. That's why I said I meant no offense against Tina.
Maybe Tina will repost her lucky find now? :)

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We don't want to become as hated as the dreaded x-sharders, dupers, multi-boxers, and dev team.
Is it the Development Team that is hated, or the lack of a Development Team?

There are what, 6 people assigned to work on UO? That seems to be barely enough to keep the code sputtering, yet they manage to keep MacGyvering it together. They also have been able to get out new content every six months or so, be it far less than the amount to which long time players are accustomed.

It seems that the 6 souls we have working on the game we are all so passionate about are working their butts off to keep it going, while adding in what they can.

It also seems that what most of us players (and probably the developers as well) are bemoaning is that the Dev Team is only six. With so few it is impossible to complete all the work that UO so desperately needs and which is so obvious to all of us.

Chicken and egg at this point me thinks. Without more players, no additional Dev Team for content. Without more Dev Team for content, no additional players.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have nothing but love for the work they do. I was just gathering together the topics that seem most bitched about around here.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have nothing but love for the work they do. I was just gathering together the topics that seem most bitched about around here.
Yeah, that's actually what I figured. I was just feeling a little melancholy.

UO needs a lot...A-LOT...of work. Realizing there are so few on the dev team, with so much to do.....

Argh, 'tis saddening.