Stormy Weather

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Outer Hebrides
By all accounts, we're in for the hell of a storm tonight. I'm hoping the power and the net stay on, but, should they leave us, as they probably will, I'll get back so soon as I can!

We're looking at gale force (90mph) winds, dropping off a bit towards morning. As they say here 'tha e fiadhich' - it is wild!

Cail

P

Phaheela

Its starting to hit us now (shetlands) expected to reach storm force 11 with gusts up to storm force 13. Just hope it doesnt get that bad till the wee small hrs as the islands windmill will shut down if the wind gets above force 9.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Outer Hebrides
We're getting flickery lights here now, though it's not off long enough to shut down the computers yet. All the torches are charged, along with hubbys coastguard pager and radio and the spares are in on charge now; here's hoping no one needs rescuing tonight! The bizarre thing is the water level in the toilets - the wind is so strong, it's pulled the water round the u-bend! And when you lift the lid, you can feel the draft as the wind blows. How weird is that.

Good luck, Phaheela, fingers crossed it doesn't get too bad!

Miss Polly, I hope you and Ferrut had a good Hogmany in Edinburgh :)

M

Miss Polly

We had a great time thanks Cailleach.

The toilet situation sounds a bit scary, hope you dont need to go, it sounds like you might get sucked in!! :eek:

P

Phaheela

Crossing my fingers for you west coast folks, hope your power stays on. Thankfully, we dont get power cuts here due to the isle having its own electric company. Just hope the roof stays on the byre !

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 20, 2004
Keeping my fingers crossed for you Cail - Hope it dont get too bad out there.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Outer Hebrides
According to www.xcweather.co.uk * we're currently 62 - 86mph wind wise. It's not so bad right now. Good luck to everyone else out there that's currently getting hammered - some of the islands south of us are getting a right kicking just now. And good luck with the byre roof, Phaheela! I hope it stays with you :) We have three generators for the island, with some back up from the mainland. The main problem we have is lines going down in this weather. You'd think the power companies would have the sense to put them underground, or in pipes close to the ground, but no, up in the air they stay!

*We're top left, on the west side of the island, about 1/4 mile inland. Closest town to us is Stornoway, if anyone's looking :)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
Oooh, that's a wee bit breezy even by Scottish standards! Good luck both of you, and I hope your byre stays unscathed Phaheela, 'specially if it's occupied! :)

Wenchy

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Outer Hebrides
I just had to gaffa tape the letter box shut, as the poor dog was on the verge of a nervous breakdown - the wind was making it sound like someone was constantly chappin the door! It's blowing a real hooly out there; I can feel the floor shake every now and then.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
Aww poor pup!

The only thing I don't miss about living up north is the wind lol.

Fingers crossed everything stays in one piece till morning :)

Wenchy

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Outer Hebrides
We're alive! All good here, wind has dropped to the 20's now. I ended up going out in the garden last night - went to let the dog out about 1am and he just stood at the door, looking at me like I'm daft or something, so I put on husbands boots and coat and went out with him. Am guessing it was between 80 - 90 at that point, cos I got blown about a bit and could lean on the wind quite nicely. It's a wee bit brisk out there now, but all ok. Even the bins are still there. Mind you, they were tied to the fence!

Hope everyone else is ok too, and that your barn roof survived Phaheela!

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 6, 2008
Sounds that there may be more storms on their way, or maybe it is the same ones headed south. All the best to you!

P

Phaheela

We survived, cows were a tad nervy this morning so i think it got a bit noisy in the byre overnight, nothing a bucket of soaked sugar beet didnt put right.

All over till the next one & late jan/feb is when the big uns start to roll in for us up here.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Outer Hebrides
Aye, it'll kick off here round mid to late Feb. And it gets a bit breezy round the equinoxes as well. Ah well, keeps life interesting :D

Glad all's well with you :)

Saunders, I think what you're getting is the remnants moving south. I've not heard of any more heading our way for now, and my husband is in the coastguard, so we tend to get notice of the big stuff :)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
Glad to hear you guys are all ok :) Well aside from some anxious moomoos!

Wenchy