• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Storms, upgrades,etc.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A couple quick reminders....

1: the current scheduled downtime for Stratics is in 3 and a half hours (9 eastern, 8 central). I hopefully will be back up Saturday night. I THINK what will happen with the downtime is that you will still be able to read existing posts, but can't post new ones or replies.

2. I'm in a severe thunderstorm warning right now, and worse is on the way. I'll try to be back on in game in about 3-4 hours....

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The storm is just now passing us by, we have 5 minutes left on tornado warning. Hang in there Basara. We had quarter to silver dollar size hail bombard us and some pretty crazy wind and one twister over one of the lakes.

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I hope you weathered the storms ok guys! Nice to have the forums back. I like the new 'feel'.

Aren't you glad when it rains in UO our houses don't blow away? :D

A couple quick reminders....

1: the current scheduled downtime for Stratics is in 3 and a half hours (9 eastern, 8 central). I hopefully will be back up Saturday night. I THINK what will happen with the downtime is that you will still be able to read existing posts, but can't post new ones or replies.

2. I'm in a severe thunderstorm warning right now, and worse is on the way. I'll try to be back on in game in about 3-4 hours....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ironically, the storm that killed 4 or 5 people at the north end of my county (Laurel County, KY) took out my internet and phone (VIOP) for about 28 hours, shortly after I posted that (I was 12 miles away from the tornado, but the acoustics of the hills around here let me HEAR it on about a minute delay from the distance - I can hear the railroad crossing 8 miles away more clearly than if I was 1000 feet from it). I guess that the trunk connecting the area to the internet got hit, as it would logically parallel US 25 or I-75 (and other natural disasters in that part of the county had caused disruptions before). I later gave a friend a ride home after the front was past, and he ran by where his mom worked (we didn't know yet just how bad things were on the other side of town), and we got 4 pizzas for free, that hadn't been picked up (and the people who ordered weren't answering their phone, either due to the outages, or their being hit by the storm).
Near as I can tell, I had just finished my last BOD run, logged out, and by the time I'd gone to the kitchen for a glass of water and back, the net & phone were down (as were a number of TV stations on my cable, the ones transmitted from Lexington 80 miles to the north). That's when I could hear the sound of the storm through my window, that I'd kept open because insulated glass muffles sound all too well sometimes (having lived through 4/3/72, I have the sound of a tornado imprinted in my mind; I was once woken by a tornado in college, that was miles away).

I got back online too late to get to the event. What did I miss?

As for what happened in the state, the two counties to the northeast that got hit bad were victims of having all their eggs in one basket. They were towns of about 2000, and were their counties' seats, so all their emergency responders ( and cell towers!) were concentrated in the areas hit, and one had the primary road into the county scoured by the tornados. They lost most of their gas stations, and Morgan Co. (where West Liberty was hit) lost their ONLY supermarket, which also sold over half the gas in the county. You know it's bad when the first priority after rescue operations is to "get power to and reopen the grocery store so the county doesn't starve".
Here in Laurel County, by sheer coincidence one of the Lexington TV reporters was in London (probably for a story on the wet/dry election coming on Tuesday), heard BY WORD OF MOUTH that East Bernstadt was being hit, and drove toward the storm. She was on the ragged edge of her cell range to the closest tower still standing, and ended up being the one to first call in the authorities to the disaster area, 20 minutes after the storm went through. EB usually has very good cell coverage, which is why it seemed such a shock to the locals that it took so long to get reported.

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Wow. Exciting evening. After living 8 years in Oklahoma, I, too, will never forget the signs and sounds of tornados. I'm sorry your town was so badly hit. I'm GLAD that YOU are ok! welcome back!

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate tornadoes. Glad you're okay Basara, I'm sorry everything around you got torn up. That sounds like it might take a while to straighten out.

The one that was over the lake, I found out the next day split off into two twisters. The neighbor called the next day and asked if I had seen them. Seen? I had not even heard them over all the other high winds, it sounded like trains roaring around here all day long. Then it got reaaaaal quiet and all hell broke lose. He said he was fixing to call me but they both went back up into the cloud cover...the whole time I was video taping the hail,from the safety of the back porch in case my home or theirs got damaged.

I'm glad we didn't get hit real bad around here like you guys. We've had our share, helped the neighbor to the west of me clear up his property last year after one jumped his house and ripped his trees up out of the ground.

If you have a dog, I have found that if you keep them close by during a storm, if they start acting bizarre get them and yourself to shelter.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What's wild is right now they are getting 105 MPH winds in California - with speeds like that, you don't need tornados.