• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Still range problem with disco?

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all, I was out trying the discord masteries tonight after the new changes. I have a couple of questions and comments on it. I had tried em once before when they first came out and hadn't bothered with them since... until I saw that they had made some changes.

The new changes with mana are certainly workable now, and looks like they are gonna be rather fun, but it seems the range is extremely short. I came to the boards and saw where Luke Carjacker had commented on it on 8/5/10, and later in the post it said it was to be fixed on 8/7/10.

While I was testing disco masteries today, I was only able to get 7 tiles away before it would interrupt my spell. So I do not know if this is the new "fixed" range or if it has not been taken care of yet.

The other thing I noticed, is that I will get an icon in my gump bar when I am partied with someone useing provo masteries. But I see nothing in the gump bar when I use a disco mastery. Is this intentional? All I notice are intermittent blue sparklies around my charector unless I move a hair-because then I am out of range.

So in the meantime, while I am trying to figure out what is going on with discord masteries, and coming to realize I have to be very close
to my target to get and stay all blue sparklied, I am watching my husband who has a provo bard with masteries, run back and forth all over the screen trying to get a rotting corpse provoked onto his target (his provo is not that high yet) and while I am watching this, I notice I still see the little gump icon on my screen saying that I am still under the affects of his provo spell song. I'm standing almost on top of my target, don't have a gump, trying to tell if I'm still sparkling, if my spell is in affect or if my sparkles are fading out because i'm too far away or because they are in the intermittent part.... Husband in the meantime is Still running off my screen and back on my screen again, and I'll be damned, the gump on my screen from him is still there! And I still can't even tell if my spell is working! It would be nice to have a discord masteries gump.

It is also odd to me that they made only the discord masteries to be aggressive, and it IS the discord masteries with the short range. It would seem that if the range IS supposed to be shorter on any of them, it would have been the non-aggresive spell songs.

The other thing I was curious about, is that it mentions the bard's REAL skill for the masteries in calculating the affects of the spell song.... Now by real skill are we talking skill not including any jewelry or special armor?? If that is the case, then Barding is the only skill in all of the multitude of skills that UO offers (that I am aware of) where you don't get the full affects of the skill just because you are wearing jewelry or special armor to increase your skill. A mage's flame strike doesn't do less damage because he is wearing a ring with evaluate intelligence on it.... A tamer's dragon doesn't do less damage because he is wearing 30 points worth of taming skill on jewels....

D

Diggity

I don't think range was adjusted. With a 120 music/provo/disco bard, my range was and is 6 for the disco songs. Once I go 7 tiles out, the song stops. The provo songs have a range of 8 for me, not sure what it was before the last publish & patch.

I, too, would like a gump for the bard to be able to tell at a glance what songs are active.

The provo songs work a little different than the disco ones. The disco ones have fixed range and are on a timer based on your ability. The provo ones go as long as the bard can maintain the spell. As long as you are within range and in party, you get the benefits of the provo song. I noticed when I move 9 squares away from the provo bard, the benefits go away. But if I move back to within 8 squares, they come back.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i dont know about the ranges, i never noticed any differences when i was playing on my bard, but then i play pretty close to the stuff im fighting.

but i DO know the answer to one of your questions.

you asked why the disco spell didnt bring a gump up on your bar but the provo and peace ones did.

i asked this a while back and it was explained to me that the peace and provo ones give YOU a benifit, so you see them in the gump bar, but the disco one is a DETRIMENT to the MONSTER or player you slap it on.
so you dont see it.

i guess the monster or the other person would see it on their bar.

so if you look at it that way it makes more sence.

but i agree with you, since its your mana that is going down it would be nice to know the spell is in effect.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes I agree, it would be nice to have a gump, like when you have protection cast, or are inivisable, it is easy to see the spell is in effect. I did cast despair on myself, and at that time I did get a red gump. Where the others were green.

So easy solution would be to add a green gump to let you know it has been cast and is active, a red gump if it has been cast upon you.

As far as range, I often play a disco archer, so there the range limitation is very obvious, as you don't need to be on top of your prey with an archer.