• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stealth: Which method is right/best

Which method is the best to use

• Total voters

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have read 2 different methods on gaining stealth, and I am curious as to which method is the best/more widely used method.

Method #1: Buy your first 30, then begin in regular clothes & a robe, stealth around up to 65. From 65 to 95 use a full gm studded suit. From 95 to GM use a full GM studded suit and a close helm.

Personally #1 is the method I have used, but not exactly as it is stated. Personally, I found I got better gains over time by slowly building up the suit. I started with leggings at 65, then around 70 I added the tunic, about 75 I added arms, around 80 I added the gloves & at 85 I added the gorget. I am currently at 89ish, and starting to see a slow down. Should I add a studded cap now? I have been wearing brightsight lenses all along while training. Would replacing them with a studded cap make a difference?

ok, moving on.

Method #2: This method I don't have full details for, I can't find the thread I read it in, but here it is in a nutshell. Basically start out the same as method one, use the new haven quest to get to 50, and then start using platemail. One piece of plate was to be added to the suit every 10 points (ie at 70 add a 2nd piece, at 80 a 3rd, 90 4th, etc.) up to gm or higher. As I said, I don't remember the actual details, but this was the gist of it.

So which is the better method for training?

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i've only used method #1, and, like you, i add a piece of studded armor as my skill rises. when skills slow down, i add another piece. in the 90's i start replacing studded with pieces of plate. by 110 i usually have studded legs/chest/gloves, plate arms/gorget/helm, & i add a plain sword.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Other: train up from zero (can't buy skill points on Siege). 0-70 can be done nekked, and use of the moongates to auto hide you is the best way I have been able to get around.

Once at 70, well...you're in RoT, 10 more points to gain, they come rather quick, all done in leather.

There really is no need to spend the skill points on stealth after 80...imo...la

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a point you reach with stealth that you will never fail the skill check if you're wearing leather or studded armor?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
75.0 for leather or mage armor. Not studded.
What about at 100? Would my thief/stealth fencer pass the check (at GM) every time as long as I keep him in leather or studded armor? Or would I need to go higher than that to never fail a skill check? I know that going higher will give me more steps before making a skill check again, but would going above GM have any effect on my success with studded armor?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why the fascination with studded armor? Just use regular leather and you'll be all set. I know very few thieves that have ever worn studded armor on a regular basis. Maybe the Warrior forum?

*shrugs*

...la

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just assuming that studded would be a little better in terms of protection. Right now I am using a barbed leather suit from a horned runic kit, the resists are decent, but they could use a little improvement. Perhaps I'll just stick with the leather and burn up a few kits until I get the resists I want.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just assuming that studded would be a little better in terms of protection. Right now I am using a barbed leather suit from a horned runic kit, the resists are decent, but they could use a little improvement. Perhaps I'll just stick with the leather and burn up a few kits until I get the resists I want.
Yeah, in a logical UO where things made sense, platemail would be tougher than leather too.

It doesn't work that way. For some reason, EA thought it would be a good idea if the resists that are assigned to armor at strictly based off of the material used.

*shrugs*